Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The 6P is so slow and laggy with such godawful battery life, I'm ready to risk a Note 7 fire just so I don't have to use this thing anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

SouthLAnd posted:

Anyone using an Axon 7? Supposedly they just released an update to improve a few things (one of which being camera performance). I've been looking at it since I need a new phone to replace my Moto X Pure Edition. It sounds like the Pixel XL is going to be pretty pricey and I don't think I can bring myself to spend more than 400USD on a phone anymore.

I do like that the ZTE has an AMOLED display and awesome front speakers/headphone output, and the custom OS stuff doesn't seem too terrible.

I said it was really good but also listed the poo poo I thought was wrong with it and was shouted down for it. They were right because my idiot rear end waxed rhapsodic about it even though it wasn't fully compatible with Verizon. Think of the custom OS as similar to the Moto stuff but useless or nonfunctional. It's pretty drat stock, but they have this dumb bell on the lock screen that you click on to see notifications. Everything else they added are features that don't work and can be completely ignored.

The build quality is excellent, the speakers are pretty much the best I've heard on a phone. The phone is 5.5 in. but it's not much larger than the HTC 10. The screen is pretty decent. The battery life beats the 3,000mah phones handily. The camera is bad in low light but was decent in sunlight. This was before that last update.

It also comes with a clear TPU case, 2 screen protectors, headphones, and a charger.

However all of this adds up just amounts to what you think is important in a phone.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 21, 2016

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

The 6P is so slow and laggy with such godawful battery life, I'm ready to risk a Note 7 fire just so I don't have to use this thing anymore.

Yeah, people talk up the 5x and 6p but they suck compared to this year's phones. I'm disappointed by both. The HTC 10, Axon 7, and Moto Z Play are all much better. That camera is pretty drat good, though.

E: This was a bit harsh. I didn't try any other phones in 2015 and I know the 810 and 808 have bad throttling problems, leading to the lag and photo processing issues. I really shouldn't be making comparisons to phones pre-14nm manufacturing process.

Android 7.0 is really nice, too.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 21, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jigoku posted:

Yeah, people talk up the 5x and 6p but they suck compared to this year's phones. I'm disappointed by both. The HTC 10, Axon 7, and Moto Z Play are all much better. That camera is pretty drat good, though.

The 6P camera is excellent when it works. It very often crashes, stops responding, lags, takes forever to open, and has to throttle the rate I can take pictures because it overheats while processing HDR or panorama or whatever.

e: I mean, it really is a good camera when it works, it takes pics like this http://i.imgur.com/HIHeYBt.jpg. It's just annoyingly laggy, buggy, slow, and crashy

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 21, 2016

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

The 6P camera is excellent when it works. It very often crashes, stops responding, lags, takes forever to open, and has to throttle the rate I can take pictures because it overheats while processing HDR or panorama or whatever.

Yeah when I had the 6p it was pretty bad. The 5x camera I'm about to return is much better though which is weird to me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I was getting excited for the new devices, but the price talk pretty much killed that interest.

Truth is, I'm still really happy with my Moto X Pure and I have a 32gb 5x as a secondary phone that I can swap in for primary any time I want. It may take a while for Nougat to meander it's way to the Moto X, but I'm not really scrambling for it. It's fine on the 5x and my Pixel C, but it really doesn't do much day to day that would make my life better.

With the price trajectory the Nexus 6 took, I'll give it 4 months for the new phones to crater in price and that should give enough time to get a good feel for them.

Who knows though, maybe Google will pull a rabbit out of their hat and announce a really killer exclusive new feature that would make it a compelling buy.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
What the hell? My 6P is the best device I've ever had. I've never had the camera crash. I don't think I've had ANYTHING crash. Everything has been smooth and nice and I have no desire to change devices any time soon.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What the hell? My 6P is the best device I've ever had. I've never had the camera crash. I don't think I've had ANYTHING crash. Everything has been smooth and nice and I have no desire to change devices any time soon.

My 6p shat itself on the HDRing of a photo once (Photographed a sign with lots of text, took 15 minutes and got really hot) but apart from that, the only issues i've ever had were random restarts on the N preview, and those disappeared around the third or fourth or so. Best phone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vykk.Draygo posted:

This is pretty much my experience. Even after spending a week with an S7 after losing my first 6P, I have no desire to replace it other than the typical "ooo, shiny" stuff.

The S7 was OK except for the garbage software, but the only thing it offered over the 6P was a faster camera and a better size. I certainly couldn't say it performed any better on average. I certainly experienced more crashes and weird behavior on the S7.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

My only complaint with my 6p is that Bluetooth range is godawful compared to my previous 2 Moto Xs. With the first and second gen Xs I could leave the room while listening to music over Bluetooth, where with the 6p if I just lose line of sight by turning around the audio gets stuttery.

Everything else has been peachy in my 10 months of ownership.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Vykk.Draygo posted:

same

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Oh good. Between this thread and /r/Nexus6P I was starting to think I was the only person with a functional 6p. Only performance complaint I have is how long it takes to process HDR. Otherwise there's no lag/jank at all and I get 4-5 hours of SOT between charges.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

SouthLAnd posted:

Anyone using an Axon 7? Supposedly they just released an update to improve a few things (one of which being camera performance). I've been looking at it since I need a new phone to replace my Moto X Pure Edition. It sounds like the Pixel XL is going to be pretty pricey and I don't think I can bring myself to spend more than 400USD on a phone anymore.

I do like that the ZTE has an AMOLED display and awesome front speakers/headphone output, and the custom OS stuff doesn't seem too terrible.

I took the plunge on the Axon 7 a week back and installed the update last night. Haven't had a chance to muck around with it after that but I'll try to keep you posted. Overall I've been relatively happy using the Axon 7 coming from a Nexus 5. The screen is nice and I forgot how much I missed having a 5.5 in screen from when I used to use a Oneplus One. Keep in mind that the hi-fi headphone output is only used when using the supplied music app (otherwise it defaults to the SD 820 headphone output) and is separate from the software-level Dolby enhancements (which should be safely ignored).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Stormangel posted:

My only complaint with my 6p is that Bluetooth range is godawful compared to my previous 2 Moto Xs. With the first and second gen Xs I could leave the room while listening to music over Bluetooth, where with the 6p if I just lose line of sight by turning around the audio gets stuttery.

Certainly can't argue with this. When I had the MXP I was able to wander most of the way around the office while leaving my phone on the desk, but with the 6P I can barely go five feet outside my own office before the stuttering starts. Also the 6P almost never responds to my car bluetooth controls unless the screen is on. If I could take the bluetooth portion of the MXP and put it in the 6P, then it would be a perfect device.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Stormangel posted:

This is my experience. Somehow the difference between clear music playback and laggy/drop-infested-crap is half an inch of seat position while bike riding. Its insane.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

My 6P recently (as in like the past month) started having awful GPS issues. Does anyone else have a lovely GPS on their 6P?

Literally while navigating I'll hear "GPS signal lost" every 5 minutes and it will constantly reroute and have me bouncing all over the place. I've had the phone since like January.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Stormangel posted:

I kept a very old iPhone 4s to run a bedroom bluetooth speaker and it has 5 times the range of my 6p (which appears to be about 15 feet.) My previous MXP 15 was much better as well.

I just got N update this morning. Why am I supposed to care again?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Keyser S0ze posted:

I kept a very old iPhone 4s to run a bedroom bluetooth speaker and it has 5 times the range of my 6p (which appears to be about 15 feet.) My previous MXP 15 was much better as well.

I just got N update this morning. Why am I supposed to care again?

I got it last night. Best thing is the double tap the task switch button to quickly switch between two apps.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
yeah the mini-shade thing is cool too.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

My 6P recently (as in like the past month) started having awful GPS issues. Does anyone else have a lovely GPS on their 6P?

Literally while navigating I'll hear "GPS signal lost" every 5 minutes and it will constantly reroute and have me bouncing all over the place. I've had the phone since like January.

I don't think that's a 6p specific issue. I had it happen on my 6 before I switched to a Note 7 and its happened on that as well. Driving along and freaks out and reroutes me because gps placed me in different location randomly

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
My 6P has Bluetooth issues if I hold the top end of the phone, where the headphone jack is. Range seems pretty good otherwise. I don't get any of the crashing/stuttering others have reported, and get about 6 hours screen on time (though I keep brightness pretty low)

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I know the "unique silhouette" was removed from the app icon guidelines a while ago, but I didn't think it was because of this.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

..btt posted:

My 6P has Bluetooth issues if I hold the top end of the phone, where the headphone jack is.

You're holding it wrong.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Circle icons are fine if they take the time to redesign them all, but if they're really just going to slap the standard icon onto a circle fuuuuuuck that poo poo.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So allo is out, no one knows why.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

If you want to have a nice laugh, follow the co-lead's tweet wars with angry nerds asking why Allo isn't a multi-device iMessage clone with google voice support.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

I downloaded it. Pretty sure I won't use it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'd really like to know your secret. Mine is so choppy and laggy I often just give up using it and put it away, various apps crash daily, I'm lucky to get 2 hours screen on time with the battery, it overheats often to the point where it's uncomfortable to hold, and the camera might be able to get 2 HDR shots in a row before stopping to process. I have not rooted or done anything funny other than enable the system UI tuner menu.

e: oh and yeah, the bluetooth is the worst of any device I've used. Music randomly cuts out for seconds at a time, etc

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

nimper posted:

If you want to have a nice laugh, follow the co-lead's tweet wars with angry nerds asking why Allo isn't a multi-device iMessage clone with google voice support.

But seriously, why isn't it? That'd be good and useful.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'd really like to know your secret. Mine is so choppy and laggy I often just give up using it and put it away, various apps crash daily, I'm lucky to get 2 hours screen on time with the battery, it overheats often to the point where it's uncomfortable to hold, and the camera might be able to get 2 HDR shots in a row before stopping to process. I have not rooted or done anything funny other than enable the system UI tuner menu.

e: oh and yeah, the bluetooth is the worst of any device I've used. Music randomly cuts out for seconds at a time, etc

My 5x doesn't even have those issues. The camera never crashes and handles HDR fine, 2 hours SoT is my easy average and bluetooth only ever flakes out on my car system, which is old and poo poo anyhow. Either you lost the silicon lottery or "you're holding it wrong".

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Mogomra posted:

But seriously, why isn't it? That'd be good and useful.

https://twitter.com/juberti/status/778490244328939520

"engineering is about tradeoffs"

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Not having a desktop version makes this useless. Why can't it have it? Could I just run a bluestacks vm with it?
edit: is the SMS relay number unique for each person? Like could they just add it to my contact and then it'd be transparent? Well until they called it. ugh I hate it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Not having a desktop version makes this useless. Why can't it have it? Could I just run a bluestacks vm with it?
edit: is the SMS relay number unique for each person? Like could they just add it to my contact and then it'd be transparent? Well until they called it. ugh I hate it.

From what I've heard the desktop version is coming in a future version.

But the SMS relay thing is almost what everyone wanted. I think you could add it as a contact and have it be transparent, but running it through a relay just adds an extra layer of confusion.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do a factory reset.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

AOSP Bluetooth implementation is garbage, this hasn't been news since about 4.1.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Is there an actual reason why Google is incapable of making something similar to iMessage other than being stubborn? Why did they remove combined SMS conversations in Hangouts if they weren't going to replace the functionality in the new app?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

Is there an actual reason why Google is incapable of making something similar to iMessage other than being stubborn? Why did they remove combined SMS conversations in Hangouts if they weren't going to replace the functionality in the new app?

They're trying real hard, they just have 4 different teams working on 4 different products. One of them will get there eventually, I'm sure! Or they'll start a few more teams with a few more products. Progress!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

WhyteRyce posted:

Was just having this conversation with a buddy (on Hangouts, natch). It's loving infuriating that they were poised to make Hangouts a really good SMS replacement why WHY did they just abandon it for this stupid Allo thing that doesn't even have a web portal/desktop app/chrome app :mad:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It gives them something to do with New Google Messenger 2017, since adding features to Google products doesn't get them bonuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

"engineering is about courage"