Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Cat Mattress posted:

The craziest French comics were written either by a Chilean of Ukrainian origin, Alejandro Jodorowsky, or by the Bosnian/Slovak Enki Bilal. Still got some pure French craziness like Druillet or the great Giraud (Moebius).

Fun fact about the Black Moon Chronicles: one of the authors, Froideval, is responsible for the Tarrasque monster in D&D. If you read the BMC, you'll totally get the feeling that these people are the player characters in exactly the kind of crazy D&D campaign where the DM has to invent overpowered bullshit monsters such as the Tarrasque. Though I'm most fond of his 666 series which is just exceedingly silly.

Yeah, European Comics would be a better term, although the French/Belgian scene is pretty influential.

I'm lucky because being french-canadian I can just read it in the original french, and it's pretty easy to find even obscure stuff. There's a bunch of specialized comic book shops in Montreal that are pretty good for that. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm just popping in to say that this comic is amazing in every way and i'm glad i ordered it basically on accident. See, I saw there was a pre-order for a paper version and i ordered it a few weeks back, the whole time thinking that it was Necropolis. Oops!

To be fair:
1) It was late and i was tired.
2) They've both been on my "to read" list for way too long.

In any case now i'm hooked.

Cio is the greatest.
It contains (not so) secret anime.

The art is so fantastically detailed, Allison is awesome, the setting is fantastic. The demons and world in general bring Wayne Douglas Barlowe's Inferno to mind: the floating rune/sigils, the mutable bodies, the ancient ruined husks, angels with shorn off wings.

Now, since i've only started reading the second book on his website i'm going to vanish back to that part of the thread until i catch up!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fudge Handsome posted:

Didn't angels spring from the male side YISUN, too? I thought that was why they present as male.

Eh, humans and servants sprang from one side each too, and they're gendered.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh god, i'm already caught up. I thought there was more.

This is terrible! :f5:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Welcome to the wait.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

a kitten posted:

Oh god, i'm already caught up. I thought there was more.

This is terrible! :f5:

Now go back and read all the text posts that go with each page

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

MikeJF posted:

The angels probably reject gender as part of their aloofness from the world and commitment to the law. It's bullshit of course, but that feels like the reason.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Now go back and read all the text posts that go with each page

Way ahead of ya.

Incidentally, I've determined that Dead Can Dance is a great soundtrack to read this by.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

If you donate $5+ a month to his Patreon you get to see early page previews and extra art and tutorials and stuff. Just tossing that out there.

I am eagerly awaiting the next tutorial because I hella need to work on my art. It's also pretty rad in general.

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

MikeJF posted:

I believe that after YIS and UN literally, metaphorically, and actually fought and hosed each other to death, everything that has come after them has got a bit of peanut butter in their chocolate and vice versa.

The 'created' entities like demons, humans, angels, and servants, despite their nice, neat little creation myth(relatively speaking), the 'flames' of their origin were never 'pure' despite Michael's void-tinted yearning.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The angels are genderless in the same way that western society is colorblind: there's a gender or ethnicity that is assumed to be the default, and if you're not it, you're a bad person.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

The angels are genderless in the same way that western society is colorblind: there's a gender or ethnicity that is assumed to be the default, and if you're not it, you're a bad person.

That's about it in a nutshell.

Just as having a gender is offensive to angels at all, being gendered as specifically female is considered worse. Which says a lot about their gender assumptions and what they consider closer to the "true" neutral nature.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You don't exactly meet a lot of girls named Michael.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

paragon1 posted:

You don't exactly meet a lot of girls named Michael.

You've never met a Michelle?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Schwarzwald posted:

You've never met a Michelle?

This only reinforces my reinforcement of Xarbla's point.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
New Page I am pretty stoked about this, there might be more strangely specific kung-fu.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
someone's about to get their rear end kicked and I'm not sure who

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

atomicthumbs posted:

someone's about to get their rear end kicked and I'm not sure who

The correct answer is probably 'everyone'.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Given that Cio appears to be riding into frame atop the mast of some sort of ridiculous flying ship, I suspect Mottom may be about to catch a dangerously campy case of "shaking her fist at the retreating backs of our bloodied heroes, screaming that they cannot escape the inevitable."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The cool, refreshing taste of big drat heroes, sir.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Dead Reckoning posted:

Given that Cio appears to be riding into frame atop the mast of some sort of ridiculous flying ship, I suspect Mottom may be about to catch a dangerously campy case of "shaking her fist at the retreating backs of our bloodied heroes, screaming that they cannot escape the inevitable."

If a demiurge isn't capable of shooting a flying ship out of the sky then that's a pretty lousy ruler of 1/7 of existence, IMO

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

If a demiurge isn't capable of shooting a flying ship out of the sky then that's a pretty lousy ruler of 1/7 of existence, IMO

If Alison isn't capable of wrenching one measly flying ship into the far flung reaches of the void using only her will then she's a pretty poo poo king.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

What, and risk killing her one ticket out of emo queendom?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

akulanization posted:

If Alison isn't capable of wrenching one measly flying ship into the far flung reaches of the void using only her will then she's a pretty poo poo king.

If she could do that she'd've already done it without the ship, though. Her teleportation's flaky as as poo poo. Might work just in time for a dramatic exit, though.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

This page is particularly great. Mottom positively drips menace here in a way that feels really great, even if she's about to get loving clowned.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Well people were entirely right that it was going to be "AND YOU ARE TAKING THE JOB ONE WAY OR ANOTHER."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

"Tha flaxen-brained soggy fop-moppin."

Yes, good.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cio is just the best.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Yessssss, more Cio :neckbeard:

More Cio insults :neckbeard: :neckbeard: :neckbeard:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I think Cio is a bit out of her depth here.

Dead Reckoning posted:

What, and risk killing her one ticket out of emo queendom?

If she can't come up with a million different magic solutions to "Allison is escaping on an airship" then yes she is a lousy excuse for a witch-goddess.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

GunnerJ posted:

If she can't come up with a million different magic solutions to "Allison is escaping on an airship" then yes she is a lousy excuse for a witch-goddess.

What about an airship also occupied by Problem Sleuth, Ace Dick, and (Past) and (Future) Pickle Inspector? Hmm?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

We know that Cio has previously managed to steal a key of kings, so presumably she has some sort of tricks up her sleeve. Although I have no idea how the transition between masks/etc. changes things for devils and what that might mean for her now. I don't expect her to go one on one with Mottom, though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

GunnerJ posted:

I have no idea what one small fanfiction writing blue devil (+ airship) can possibly do in this situation, but that doesn't stop her from being the best.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Bilirubin posted:

What about an airship also occupied by Problem Sleuth, Ace Dick, and (Past) and (Future) Pickle Inspector? Hmm?

Still an easy solution, but it would take 17 kalpa to resolve.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

a kitten posted:

I have no idea what one small fanfiction writing blue devil (+ airship) can possibly do in this situation, but that doesn't stop her from being the best.

Well, she used to be one of the most powerful ebon devils in existence, so she might still have a few handy titbits knowledgewise, even if she doesn't have the raw power anymore.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

a kitten posted:

Oh, I agree. I'm just a bit worried for her. White Chain just got literally flicked aside like a bug and she's no slouch.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 21, 2016

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

a kitten posted:

I believe in Ciocie Cioelle Estrella Von Maximus the Third. :kiddo:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Ciocie Cioelle

Coca Cola

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Cio isn't really the kind of person to wander in to fight a demiurge without having a fairly clear idea of how she might win, so I assume she knows something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I hope we get more White Chain and Cio interaction with Alisson in the future. I don't even care if it's just lore dumps.