Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

tyblazitar posted:

The new fractal instabilities are pretty interesting. The one that spawns random bosses is great, but I'm not sure about the other ones. Both the improved social awkwardness and the poison trails seem to disproportionately punish melee classes, and the latter one favors just bringing the old 4 necro comp.

I found the new instabilities in the T4s tonight to be very fun, mostly from stuff spawning from other fractals. The rabbit was hilarious, skyhammer cannon was really cool, and we had a couple of hilarious tentacle spawns on cliffside. We had multiple melee characters and social awkwardness and the poison trail didn't really seem to be a hindrance. The toughness changes and lack of boon thieves made the runs much more smooth and satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The new zone is interesting, although it kinda lacks the impending doom of the GW1 Ring of Fire zones. The travel assistance with the ley lines and volcano cannons probably help a lot with that. It's kinda how the whole mood of the game is though, the dialogue is snappy, full of witty comebacks and retorts, with a lack of urgency or gravitas.

But I will say that the story is interesting this time around.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Warning: Don't talk to the Skritt second mate before you befriend the first mate, or you break him entirely and won't be able to buy from him until the Admins fix it.

In other words, don't get cute with teleport stones- just do the story quests to unlock the zone normally.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
For once, I have no complaints with this update. Fun patch is fun. Even the story was decent.

kiffkin
Feb 13, 2007

Fool! Women called Nyla are always spies!

TeaJay posted:

the dialogue is snappy, full of witty comebacks and retorts, with a lack of urgency or gravitas.
The male sylvari voice actor absolutely nails "I am 100% done with this poo poo." and I don't know how the Mordremoth story is supposed to work without his and Canach's "we are so hosed"* vignettes :allears:

**seriously, they're amazing

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I actually liked the writing in this episode quite a lot

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
This season has only had two episodes so far, which have been released two months apart, and they are already moving at a much faster pace than both seasons one and two combined.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Best new character. (storyline spoilers!)

e: He kinda looks as if Glint got some side business with Mordremoth, if you know what I mean, nudge nudge

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 21, 2016

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

kiffkin posted:

The male sylvari voice actor absolutely nails "I am 100% done with this poo poo." and I don't know how the Mordremoth story is supposed to work without his and Canach's "we are so hosed"* vignettes :allears:

**seriously, they're amazing

Yeah, I really like his voice acting overall. He really understood my feelings for a certain character in this last one when he was just like "Oh... it's you again". He is so very done with this poo poo.

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Warning: Don't talk to the Skritt second mate before you befriend the first mate, or you break him entirely and won't be able to buy from him until the Admins fix it.

In other words, don't get cute with teleport stones- just do the story quests to unlock the zone normally.

Oops, I totally did this and now my game is broken.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

John Lightning posted:

Oops, I totally did this and now my game is broken.

It should work fine if you just do the heart again tomorrow. I broke him yesterday, did it again today and now it works fine.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hi thread I still haven't had a chance to play, I bet all my money on black as suggested and lost everything so I'm stranded in the bowels of america.

jk but is the new zone good?!!?!
it is like 80% underwater so it is basically unplayable

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

neongrey posted:

Yeah, I really like his voice acting overall. He really understood my feelings for a certain character in this last one when he was just like "Oh... it's you again". He is so very done with this poo poo.

I liked how after being railroaded into doing the hearts twice when you get to what looks like the third round of bear rear end collection your character almost literally goes 'I haven't got time for this poo poo' and the story keeps moving instead.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I can't believe none of you mentioned that the Super Adventure Box is back.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kassad posted:

I can't believe none of you mentioned that the Super Adventure Box is back.

don't toy with me

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

gandlethorpe posted:

For once, I have no complaints with this update. Fun patch is fun. Even the story was decent.

Actually, I have one autistic complaint. And that's how the layout of the new zone doesn't match up at all with the uncovered map.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I didn't think it was that bad, actually - sure, it's so they could build a map however they liked without having to stick to a pre-ordained layout, but what with the changes over time and the tectonic movement from Primmy digging under along with how dangerous it is I could easily buy the reason that it's not been visited or mapped for decades.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Yeah, I'm actually more willing to accept inconsistencies with the RoF because they're so volatile in nature. Though looking at the HoT map since release, it seems like they're just stuffing random zones where they can fit them.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the new living story chapter definitely feels like a 'middle' bit, which isn't really bad in itself. it flows well enough and the new zone is cool, so overall i'd say the update is good.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I like the new zone

I like this game

kiffkin
Feb 13, 2007

Fool! Women called Nyla are always spies!
Exclusive LS3 beta footage

(may not actually be LS3 beta footage)

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

TeaJay posted:

Best new character. (storyline spoilers!)

e: He kinda looks as if Glint got some side business with Mordremoth, if you know what I mean, nudge nudge

I was thinking Godzilla hosed Earl Sinclair's wife.

I've found some of the terrain to be frustrating to deal with, but I suspect that's mainly because it's vertical and I'm just not familiar with it yet. Otherwise, a good episode.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

gandlethorpe posted:

Actually, I have one autistic complaint. And that's how the layout of the new zone doesn't match up at all with the uncovered map.

Apparently they are going to deal with that and the current handwave is that 'well, probably no one's been by to map it in a very long time'. But apparently the map's getting fixed.

Gato posted:

I liked how after being railroaded into doing the hearts twice when you get to what looks like the third round of bear rear end collection your character almost literally goes 'I haven't got time for this poo poo' and the story keeps moving instead.

The way that conversation is structured, though, it felt a lot more like they were actually going to make you do it. Then wisely changed their mind.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

I was thinking Godzilla hosed Earl Sinclair's wife.
Oh god, memories of the 90s are coming back in waves now.

e: I think I'm gonna give this a shot again, I haven't played since before HoT, and never ever did get my hands on a legendary.

e2: oh god trapper keepers

Propagandist fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 21, 2016

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Propagandist posted:

e: I think I'm gonna give this a shot again, I haven't played since before HoT, and never ever did get my hands on a legendary.

Not the Pale Mama!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the repeatable hearts are actually a pretty neat idea and the watered-down versions of them that you do for the living story don't take long at all, so between this and the bloodstone area it actually kind of feels like a-net is...learning, i guess? with what they gathered from the expansion and what they're showing with the new living story i can only hope a new expansion would improve on matters.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I hope each new release doesn't bring along additional daily quests to complete in each new zone. I like feeling like it only takes a little more than an hour to get my dailies done, and this new zone doesn't fit as well into that timeline.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I heard that there are also some new skins that you can get in game and not through the gem shop? That's pretty cool.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Propagandist posted:

My Trapper Keeper looked like Gonk the Lardian if he got run over by a steam roller.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Aleph Null posted:

My Trapper Keeper looked like Gonk the Lardian if he got run over by a steam roller.

edit: sometimes things are just too perfect

Thanks, SA

Lonk fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 21, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

you're a beautiful butterfly

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Another few things that I liked about the new map: the group bosses respawn frequently, there's usually more than one going on at once, and most can be done with a handful of people rather than needing the entire map to pile in. All of which adds up to a much more flexible experience than, say, Bloodstone Fen - you can wander around, picking up collectibles and doing events as they come rather than following the eternal zerg cycle of ghosts-hablion-jades-elemental etc and having to wait for half an hour if you miss something.

I'm sure people will have calculated the optimal route for events down to the second in a day or two but for now I've been enjoying a less structured, more spontaneous experience.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Gato posted:

Another few things that I liked about the new map: the group bosses respawn frequently, there's usually more than one going on at once, and most can be done with a handful of people rather than needing the entire map to pile in. All of which adds up to a much more flexible experience than, say, Bloodstone Fen - you can wander around, picking up collectibles and doing events as they come rather than following the eternal zerg cycle of ghosts-hablion-jades-elemental etc and having to wait for half an hour if you miss something.

It also helps that there's a lot more variety in the events in this newest zone. Bloodstone Fen had only a limited selection and it got old, fast.

I wasn't sure about repeatable hearts, but I think they actually work well. It's a permanent event that naturally draws in players while conveniently guiding them near cycling events. Also, the karma rewards are not terrible, and that adds an extra incentive.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Yeah, the hearts are surprisingly worthwhile, with good rewards from the vendors and a variety of things to do. Throwing poo poo at floating gadgets while gliding, in particular, is pretty novel.

It's highly unlikely, but I would kill for them to retrofit the old hearts with a similar system. The game could always use low-key repeatable content.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Eltoasto posted:

I heard that there are also some new skins that you can get in game and not through the gem shop? That's pretty cool.

New carnival weapon skins for the low low price of 50 100 or 150 gold each.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I thought I was brilliant by trying to make a blue Sylvari Mesmer named "Mr Meeseeks" but OF COURSE it is taken.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I have been saving my rear end-ended armor/weapon boxes and rubies in the hopes of gearing a condi necromancer for fractals, but the most recent changes make me think that's not as necessary now. Maybe hammer guard will once again reign surpreme.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Now that the Boon Thieves instability is dead and gone and rotting in the ground, Guardians are no longer persona non grata for Fractaling. Light Fields are still irritating because they're terrible, but are probably worth how good it is to have Protection up nonstop.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

How are Revs doing these days? I don't see many around and they've had a bunch of adjustments since their release. Can they hold their own for damage output along with the buffs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Yeah, Revs are still good for any kind of PvE. Their damage is pretty good for not being a pure DPS class, and the buffs they provide are very useful.

• Locked thread