Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Devor posted:

Yeah, I hopped over to the Orechid because I couldn't figure out any other way to find a Ruby to get my Assembly Table up and running. Seems very cheap mana-wise. I get about 8 blocks of ore per bucket of lava. Really good deal. I just want to figure out how to get my automation of the block placement/removal - I think AE2 can do that with formation and annihilation planes.

It should be self sufficient with coal going to a battery of endoflames.

I got my ruby from the nether.

let me link you a decent set up for the orechid. hmm cant find it. I think this is it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9axDo9JmLGI

What i had was an 8x 5? (maybe 3) hole with water on the sides so that it flows to the centre channel. Above the centre channel i have my lava source. (held there through glass).
That flows onto the centre water turning it to stone (glass above the water keeps the lava from hitting the water source blocks.)

Then i use the mana lens that breaks stuff set to a half minute or so timer so the orechid has time to turn all the stone to ore.

The middle channel i just used hoppers feeding into one another untill they emptied into a chest at one end.
Coal was fed straight back out to endoflames, everything else stored away.

Only problem it every now and then the lava would manage to hit a water source, so i was getting a bit of cobblestone and have to replace the water source. but on the whole the entire thing was automated.

If you find the coal not quite doing it, a chicken farm or potato farm would be overkill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Thanks for all the advice! I'm gonna check out the newer mods people have mentioned as well and make a small modpack for my friends and see how it goes!
Botania definitely looks really drat cool...

Khorne
May 1, 2002

CrazyTolradi posted:

The 1.10 TiCon is arguably weaker than the 1.7.10, also suffers greatly from not having the addons like ExtraTiC and IguanaTweaks. I think the issue driving the "rebalancing" is because boni is mostly listening to people on r/feedthebeast and the majority there seem to be tedium spergs who insist the game needs to be played the way they play it and no gently caress off Big Reactors is OP as gently caress I'd rather have my lag inducing 40x wood power generator setup thank you very much TPS be damned.
TiCon resource gathering tools are just as strong in 1.10. I made some hammer with ardite, manyulyn, cobalt, and I forgot what else and it is like a creative speed hammer that almost never has to be repaired. That's with silk touch. At lower tiers stuff is about the same, I guess the only difference is you want a stone head and some iron plates or something on your early-mid game hammer instead of lots of stone like before. Once you can start getting obsidian that's pretty strong too in new ticon.

No idea about weapons, probably not as strong as before, but I haven't experimented with those yet.

I guess they nerfed completely unbreakable stuff too which is pretty lame, because it was a fun cross mod interaction for some real creative setups.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

TiCon weapons are a LOT weaker than before, and obviously with no crossbows and only shurikens it kind of limits the mod in terms of adding to combat ability.

I also liked the cooling of metal in casting tables/basins at first but it's annoying after a short while having to wait for the sake of "realism" but there's a few ways that can be dealt with, either having a bunch of basins/tables in parallel to speed it up (using fluid ducts of some kind) or Tinker I/O which adds in a few blocks allowing you to speed up your smelter.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
In the long quest to find a modpack that actually runs well enough to play on my Dell laptop with intel graphics and celeron proc, I have installed Agrarian Skies 2 and it runs quite well.

I have installed quite a few modpacks but this is the first one that has been playable right from the start for me. Though I did mess with a few variables like hunger.

I have installed most of these mods separately at times but not thought they were good enough to keep. But I know I am a quick decision maker and sometimes skip poo poo that could actually be fun. So a modpack that forces me to do it is the way.

Its a little grindy at first trying to get enough dirt to do anything. I'm not big on layered/convoluted stuff ( i will never install gregcraft).
But a few days in and I am enjoying it.

Thanks Jaded.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

If anyone is interested with Better with Mods

Vazkii made a smallish modpack focused on a smooth progression of sorts called Proton

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Cerepol posted:

If anyone is interested with Better with Mods

Vazkii made a smallish modpack focused on a smooth progression of sorts called Proton

Does Better with Mods still require you to be a gross creep to and about wolves to get anything done or has that reject's legacy been scoured from this remake?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Magmarashi posted:

Does Better with Mods still require you to be a gross creep to and about wolves to get anything done or has that reject's legacy been scoured from this remake?

You can disable dung in the config, and tree bark works to tan leather instead (even if you don't disable it). I think the wolf cube is possible to make but it's not needed for anything.

Edit: I actually went looking on the BTW Wiki for all the psychotic poo poo I heard was in the mod, like wolves needing to be locked in the dark or tied to racks to force breeding, and I couldn't find anything about it outside of "if a wolf gets sucked into a block dispenser it becomes a companion cube" and "you can cut the companion cube into slabs on the saw". So I don't know if he removed a bunch of weird bullshit or what but overall it wasn't anywhere close to as extreme as I was expecting.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 21, 2016

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Fortis posted:

You can disable dung in the config, and tree bark works to tan leather instead (even if you don't disable it). I think the wolf cube is possible to make but it's not needed for anything.

Edit: I actually went looking on the BTW Wiki for all the psychotic poo poo I heard was in the mod, like wolves needing to be locked in the dark or tied to racks to force breeding, and I couldn't find anything about it outside of "if a wolf gets sucked into a block dispenser it becomes a companion cube" and "you can cut the companion cube into slabs on the saw". So I don't know if he removed a bunch of weird bullshit or what but overall it wasn't anywhere close to as extreme as I was expecting.

As I recall from when he was briefly relevant, the wiki got left fairly 'normal' but he'd go on at gleeful length on his forums, or in chat channels, or in minecraft forum posts about torturing wolves and dressing farm animals up in gimp suits and poo poo in the mod.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Magmarashi posted:

As I recall from when he was briefly relevant, the wiki got left fairly 'normal' but he'd go on at gleeful length on his forums, or in chat channels, or in minecraft forum posts about torturing wolves and dressing farm animals up in gimp suits and poo poo in the mod.

Ah okay. Yeah, that poo poo is definitely not in Better With Mods.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So Minecon is the next two days and outside revealing the changelog for 1.11 (which I am sure none of you guys really care about :v: ), on Sunday the 25th starting at 3:30PM PDT Mojang is having this panel "Extensions for Minecraft: Our plans for Plugins and Add-Ons" and have slotted themselves an hour for just this subject.

Should be good for a chuckle at the very least.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Enzer posted:

So Minecon is the next two days and outside revealing the changelog for 1.11 (which I am sure none of you guys really care about :v: ), on Sunday the 25th starting at 3:30PM PDT Mojang is having this panel "Extensions for Minecraft: Our plans for Plugins and Add-Ons" and have slotted themselves an hour for just this subject.

Should be good for a chuckle at the very least.
Mods can update between 1.10 and 1.11 probably almost instantly so it's mildly relevant to modding!

It's just 1.7.x to newer that's a long process.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Behold! The future of modding for win10/pocket edition https://minecraft.net/en/addons/

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's a very nice screwdriver they're handing out, but doesn't really compare with the huge toolbox that is existing Minecraft Modding.
Probably infinitely easier to use, but obviously much more limited in what it can do.

I guess it's to be expected that full blown modding as we know it was never going to get official support, but at least we can finally stop wondering.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

It's a very nice screwdriver they're handing out, but doesn't really compare with the huge toolbox that is existing Minecraft Modding.
Probably infinitely easier to use, but obviously much more limited in what it can do.

I guess it's to be expected that full blown modding as we know it was never going to get official support, but at least we can finally stop wondering.

To be fair, this is their first iteration of tools that has to be compatible with the Pocket Edition.

"We’ll be continuing to develop Add-Ons over the next year as we work towards a fully customizable Minecraft. In the coming months we’ll be working on unlocking behavior change for blocks, and even more ways you can modify gameplay. Let us know what you think about the Add-Ons system and what you’d like to see at feedback.minecraft.net."

So things will get better for this tool, but I expect it will stay pretty simple just to keep it from breaking the Pocket platform.

What the Java devs are planning will be discussed tomorrow at 3:30 PM PDT. I expect it to be similar in most regards, as the team has been, for years now, stating that they are developing a Plugin API that is based on their Resource Pack system and will allow changes and additions via JSON files as opposed to a Modding API that focuses on altering and adding new class files.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Considering the ridiculous nonsense you can get up to just from Command Blocks, whatever they add will probably result in cool poo poo.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

To be honest, I'd rather stay on the desktop version. Can't allocate 3 GBs to get a mod running loving smooth.

Speaking of, I got into Attack of the B-Team. Only got as far as assembling a two tank smeltery before realizing I needed either gold or aluminum brass to make casts for better tools. Now I know, I want to restart with several stacks of lava buckets because holy god drat Jesus making a good amount of metal needs a lot of actual lava. That's fine, right?

And also, I guess, should I build a vanilla iron pick for aluminum ores?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

widespread posted:

To be honest, I'd rather stay on the desktop version. Can't allocate 3 GBs to get a mod running loving smooth.

Speaking of, I got into Attack of the B-Team. Only got as far as assembling a two tank smeltery before realizing I needed either gold or aluminum brass to make casts for better tools. Now I know, I want to restart with several stacks of lava buckets because holy god drat Jesus making a good amount of metal needs a lot of actual lava. That's fine, right?

And also, I guess, should I build a vanilla iron pick for aluminum ores?

The bigger your smeltery is, the more efficient it is. Consumption of lava does not go up if you put more items in at once!

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

McFrugal posted:

The bigger your smeltery is, the more efficient it is. Consumption of lava does not go up if you put more items in at once!

Wait really? gently caress, gonna consider seared Windows then.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

widespread posted:

Wait really? gently caress, gonna consider seared Windows then.

Why? I mean yeah it's nice to be able to see when your smeltery finishes without having to open the GUI, but seared glass/windows are just small tanks otherwise. I do use them myself, to be able to see inside the smeltery, but also to let light in so mobs don't spawn inside it.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

So is there a decent 1.10 modpack out yet? I have tried playing All The Mods but it utterly destroys my computer. Anything with a decent range of mods would be nice.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
In Project Ozone 2, is there a way to set it to sane mode? It only has one ftb_mode that I can see through the command, so I don't really see how I could back it out to the method where recipes are simple, instead of requiring PCBs for all my AE2 poo poo. And it doesn't seem like Pneumaticraft is 100% clearly implemented.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

So is there a decent 1.10 modpack out yet? I have tried playing All The Mods but it utterly destroys my computer. Anything with a decent range of mods would be nice.

I just use the Curse launcher to make my own modpack, you can literally add/remove mods with one button press. Took all of the utility mods (mousetweaks, quark, JEI, etc) that I liked from the older FTB packs plus a few progression mods like tech reborn and immersive engineering. Ended up being very lightweight since I didn't add a trillion redundant worldgen/magic/decoration mods. Also skipped Tinkers' since if I have to make one more smeltery I think I'm going to lose my mind.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 26, 2016

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Devor posted:

In Project Ozone 2, is there a way to set it to sane mode? It only has one ftb_mode that I can see through the command, so I don't really see how I could back it out to the method where recipes are simple, instead of requiring PCBs for all my AE2 poo poo. And it doesn't seem like Pneumaticraft is 100% clearly implemented.

I cheated myself in 1 compressed iron in order to open that up.

AE2 really wasnt a problem? I have mine set up just fine. What is PCB?

Oh you mean the circuit boards? That really isnt hard. You should have everything, and an array of lasers isnt a problem?
(But then again, i think i had may transmutation table set up by this time, or very shortly after. I was taking stuff out of my AE2 storage and tabling it.)

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

I just use the Curse launcher to make my own modpack, you can literally add/remove mods with one button press. Took all of the utility mods (mousetweaks, quark, JEI, etc) that I liked from the older FTB packs plus a few progression mods like tech reborn and immersive engineering. Ended up being very lightweight since I didn't add a trillion redundant worldgen/magic/decoration mods. Also skipped Tinkers' since if I have to make one more smeltery I think I'm going to lose my mind.

But you can make double the ingots. And a ritualistic sacrificial altar to make pig iron.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What's are typical ways to get started in 1.10.2? Assuming I just closed myself in to a cave, and set up the basic Tinkers' Construct stuff. What should I be doing? I'd normally start making some charcoal and then my basic stuff using wood as fuel, but it looks like wood is a terrible fuel now. Should I always turn it into charcoal?

It looks like aluminum is regarded as a higher-tier ore by Substratum, so I can't readily make casts. So do I have to make at least one vanilla-style pick--even if it's with modded metals--to start producing casts? Has flint or something else been made better than stone for a pick head?

Finally, what's the first generator to use these days? I would previously just poo poo out some survivalist generators to get started, but ExtraUtils2 struck them out. I have had bad luck with a lot of the new generators; one just eats fuel for nothing. RFTool's coal generator was the best I could get--assuming I could get coal.

What's a good starting tree farm generation system here? It looks like I should focus on Progressive Automation. I would consider an EnderIO farming setup to be too difficult to get started as the first power loop, from last I remember.

At this point I'd also be looking for Natura stuff like barley, berries, and cotton, but that's a no-go. Is there anything for making string and wool without farming sheep?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
If you're planning on using a tree farm for your early game fuel source then yeah convert wood to charcoal before throwing it in your furnace generators.
Check config or the second book for Tinker's construct metal tiers; that should guide you to a reasonable choice but usually your first tools are headed with flint.

You are correct in that EnderIO farming is further along, you'll need to at least reach the Nether for soulsand so you can use the Slice n' Dice. I would have better recommendations knowing which mods you've got loaded up.
If you have Immersive Engineering (and maybe some configuration magic) the industrial hemp could be converted to string and then into wool. Otherwise the most work intensive alternative is a drop tower specifically for spiders.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Sage Grimm posted:

If you're planning on using a tree farm for your early game fuel source then yeah convert wood to charcoal before throwing it in your furnace generators.
Check config or the second book for Tinker's construct metal tiers; that should guide you to a reasonable choice but usually your first tools are headed with flint.
Is flint just better with Iguana Tweaks? Or is it just that stone is worse? It just looks like in 1.10.2 that there isn't a progression where you could disable vanilla and vanilla-like picks. It's a stupid thing since I have enough iron to just make an iron pick, but I figured there was a path since disabling picks was a fairly regular part of 1.7 packs.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is flint just better with Iguana Tweaks? Or is it just that stone is worse? It just looks like in 1.10.2 that there isn't a progression where you could disable vanilla and vanilla-like picks. It's a stupid thing since I have enough iron to just make an iron pick, but I figured there was a path since disabling picks was a fairly regular part of 1.7 packs.

Flint has always been better than stone.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

McFrugal posted:

Flint has always been better than stone.
Debatable. Stonebound is insanely good. To the point where the tooltip gives a smaller speed increase than the actual one if you compared the code to the tooltip in 1.7.x TiC.

I still use stone heads in 1.10 early game because using the stone you are mining to repair is fine and you can get great speed anyway.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Khorne posted:

Debatable. Stonebound is insanely good. To the point where the tooltip gives a smaller speed increase than the actual one if you compared the code to the tooltip in 1.7.x TiC.

I still use stone heads in 1.10 early game because using the stone you are mining to repair is fine and you can get great speed anyway.

Okay fine, flint is better than stone as a tool head. It's got a higher mining level. You can barely mine anything with a stone tool head, unless you upgrade it with a diamond and that feature is enabled... but the context was progression, so that doesn't matter.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Finally, what's the first generator to use these days? I would previously just poo poo out some survivalist generators to get started, but ExtraUtils2 struck them out. I have had bad luck with a lot of the new generators; one just eats fuel for nothing. RFTool's coal generator was the best I could get--assuming I could get coal.

EnderIO's Stirling Generator is always my first go, followed up quickly by Mekanism wind generators. Wind Generators will get you like 60 rf/t even at sea level, infinitely.

Resources required: iron, coal, gold, copper, redstone, osmium, glass.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
For those that are wondering, the flint pick also could not mine aluminum, so aluminum brass was out. However, zinc could be mined. A 2:1 ratio of copper:zinc produces brass--as in straight up, regular brass. I had to use substratum to generate some.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

For those that are wondering, the flint pick also could not mine aluminum, so aluminum brass was out. However, zinc could be mined. A 2:1 ratio of copper:zinc produces brass--as in straight up, regular brass. I had to use substratum to generate some.

I might just make a vanilla pick to get some aluminum then because that poo poo is crucial for smeltery fuckery it's not even funny.

... unless there's picks weaker than iron that can mine gold.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

With Iguana Tweaks you have to level up the pick to make it able to do what you want, Stone is only used for making the casts.

Normal Progression is

wood
flint
Copper
Iron
Bronze
Steel/Diamond
Obsidian
Ardite
Cobalt
Manyullyn

of course adding a head ups the level of the pick or just use it enough to level up then you can get the next level up ore.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

... on second thought, maybe map teleportation that lets you pick a height isn't a good idea.

SKYFORGE AND SKYCASTLE INITIATED gently caress ACTUALLY PROGRESSING

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

McFrugal posted:

From my experience with smelteries this is true for height but not for breadth- the wider/larger the base of the smeltery seemed to have an impact on lava consumption.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Cryohazard posted:

From my experience with smelteries this is true for height but not for breadth- the wider/larger the base of the smeltery seemed to have an impact on lava consumption.

Size has no direct impact on efficiency, only indirect. Lava usage while active is flat - it never goes up or down, and bigger smelteries can hold more stuff at once. So if you can smelt 100 items at once vs 10 you'll have 10x the efficiency.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

With Iguana Tweaks you have to level up the pick to make it able to do what you want, Stone is only used for making the casts.

Normal Progression is

wood
flint
Copper
Iron
Bronze
Steel/Diamond
Obsidian
Ardite
Cobalt
Manyullyn

of course adding a head ups the level of the pick or just use it enough to level up then you can get the next level up ore.

I was not using Iguana Tweaks--or rather Tinker Tweaks for this case of 1.10.2. I just found out that is a thing. So flint is equivalent to stone as far as I can tell.

Is the normal progression with Iguana Tweaks alone to pray the pick levels up its mining level? That sounds very volatile. I have only ever seen Iguana Tweaks paired with Metallurgy, so IIRC there was a guarantee of minable copper and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Taffer posted:

Size has no direct impact on efficiency, only indirect. Lava usage while active is flat - it never goes up or down, and bigger smelteries can hold more stuff at once. So if you can smelt 100 items at once vs 10 you'll have 10x the efficiency.

I remember there were some guys in Blightfall who had a smeltery that was like 5x5x50 blocks, which they filled by running through the deep dark with some goofy blood magic sigil auto-mining everything for them. Smelted thousands of ores off one lava bucket.

Edit: Hah, yeah it was in fact you who posted it.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 27, 2016