Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Geiru Toneido has awaken something in me that should have remained asleep forever. :negative: other than that I'm loving this game. Case 3 was pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Geiru Toneido has awaken something in me that should have remained asleep forever. :negative: other than that I'm loving this game. Case 3 was pretty great.

Judge account spotted.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Waffleman_ posted:

Judge account spotted.

I was about to try and think of something witty when I remembered that with my family tree i'll probably wind up just as bald in a decade or so :smith:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

She's here to to represent the Toneido School with a twisty, twist, twiist! And BLOOOON!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I also cannot stop being amused at how Datz tricked Phoenix into wearing a moldy as gently caress suit just for laughs. That guy rules.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

voltcatfish posted:

I also cannot stop being amused at how Datz tricked Phoenix into wearing a moldy as gently caress suit just for laughs. That guy rules.

Datz Our'Boi. I really hope there was someone fighting to name him after Dat Boi.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Just finished Case 4. And yes, that was very aggressively Japanese. But I think they explained rakugo well enough that people with little knowledge of Japanese culture wouldn't get completely lost.

The characterization of Blackquill as a massive weeb helped in this regard as well. Especially when he gets indignant over people calling sake "rice wine".

I get the feeling that cases 3 and 4 got their orders switched at some point in development, though. After how heavy all the previous cases got, though, it's a bit refreshing to have a case where the stakes aren't quite as high. The concept of a witness with multiple personalities was an interesting twist, especially with Athena and her mood matrix thingy.

It'll be interesting to see how Case 5 turns out. The situation in Khur'ain seems to be heating up, especially with the rebels beginning to move openly.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Wyvernil posted:

Just finished Case 4. And yes, that was very aggressively Japanese. But I think they explained rakugo well enough that people with little knowledge of Japanese culture wouldn't get completely lost.

The characterization of Blackquill as a massive weeb helped in this regard as well. Especially when he gets indignant over people calling sake "rice wine".

I get the feeling that cases 3 and 4 got their orders switched at some point in development, though. After how heavy all the previous cases got, though, it's a bit refreshing to have a case where the stakes aren't quite as high. The concept of a witness with multiple personalities was an interesting twist, especially with Athena and her mood matrix thingy.

It'll be interesting to see how Case 5 turns out. The situation in Khur'ain seems to be heating up, especially with the rebels beginning to move openly.

Blackquill is an interesting example of a character that localization makes way better, British Weeaboo is way more amazing than just boring samurai dude.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Clarste posted:

Honestly, I think investigations have always been the low points of the game and have always been annoyed when trials moved on to the second day. I'm glad that they've been downplaying that, or at least making the second day wildly different instead of a continuation of the same investigation.

I think the investigations are important because it really helps you get a feel for the facts of the case when you personally discover them. But yeah one of the low points of the original trilogy was the constant pausing to go hunt down more evidence. Getting it all over with in one big thing(or at least making the days very different) helps.

Also investigations facilitate one of the major points of AA: Lawyers Talking About Dumb Bullshit.

Actually my one complaint is we never got to investigate stuff with Maya, the whole point of the dream-team is her and Phoenix squabbling like five year olds over the dumbest things

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Well, just finished the game. That was a really nice little ending, though I'm not sure how I feel about Apollo leaving. I think it might just be his design, but he doesn't seem quite ready for his own office. Of course, he literally dethroned a queen, so if anything he's way more qualified than Phoenix ever was.

I'm a bit confused about the last case though. If Gar'ran couldn't channel spirits, then how did the murder scene play out? Her sister couldn't get into the room, they proved as much, so how was Dhurke channeled?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Yinlock posted:

Actually my one complaint is we never got to investigate stuff with Maya, the whole point of the dream-team is her and Phoenix squabbling like five year olds over the dumbest things

Yeah, I agree. For being so heavily featured as the *thing* of this game, there actually wasn't much to the return of Maya. I'm somewhat upset about it but what can you do? We've got 3 main characters now and the side characters are overflowing.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Animara (sp?) first channeled Inga to get into the tomb to make things look normal, then ended that channeling and started channeling Dhurke before the cast entered.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Momomo posted:

Well, just finished the game. That was a really nice little ending, though I'm not sure how I feel about Apollo leaving. I think it might just be his design, but he doesn't seem quite ready for his own office. Of course, he literally dethroned a queen, so if anything he's way more qualified than Phoenix ever was.

I'm a bit confused about the last case though. If Gar'ran couldn't channel spirits, then how did the murder scene play out? Her sister couldn't get into the room, they proved as much, so how was Dhurke channeled?

Can't quite remember the case fully but from how I recall it. Amara just channeled Inga after Ga'ran killed him, and Inga ran into the tomb at which point she just stopped channelling him. And then got back out through the whole channelling Dhurke thing.

I think that's how it happened. Though I can't quite remember them proving she couldn't get into the room in the first place.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Just finished it. I thought it was great.

Case 4 had a huge missed opportunity to reveal that Geiru was the killer by getting rid of her clown nose and revealing her nose had been disfigured from the slash.

I made a lot of guesses about case 5 and I was happy that I didn't quite hit the mark with some of them. I had called Nayna as being the final killer all the way back when she first appeared, purely because it would have been the most surprising person possible (I was expecting some gimmick where you name Rayfa then point at Nayna). Dhurke, I realized must have been dead as soon as he implied he had a life-threatening disease. I also realized at that point that Amara was alive, but during investigation, the sequence of events I had constructed was: 23 years ago, Inga accidentally killed Ga'ran and Jove, mistaking them for Amara and Dhurke because of prosopagnosia. For whatever reason, Amara then forcibly spent the next 23 years channeling Ga'ran, and I thought for sure the final piece of evidence would be a magatama of parting, where you exorcise Ga'ran from Amara, revealing her to have been there all along.

Hanging plot threads: Obviously, Apollo/Trucy's parentage, but also, we never actually find out why the Holy Mother (whom I thought would be Ami Fey) wanted to be channeled back. Also, despite Edgeworth's presence in two games now, we never find out what happened to Wendy Oldbag.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Oldbag was old as gently caress ten years ago.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm currently on case 5 investigation day 2.

Boy, this game sure is throwing lots of stuff the fans wanted to see at you. The return of Maya! A prosecutor as your cocounsel! Apollo vs. Phoenix! Phoenix & Edgeworth team up! Confirmation that Gumshoe still exists as a detective somewhere!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Clarste posted:

Personally, (Case 5 spoilers)I was wondering whether Sarge was a boy or a girl right up until the point where Apollo assumed she was a boy with no basis. After which I (correctly) assumed that she was going to turn out to be a girl because there's really not much other reason to hide someone's face like that.

I had this exact same thought, for the exact same reasons.

Argue posted:

Just finished it. I thought it was great.

Case 4 had a huge missed opportunity to reveal that Geiru was the killer by getting rid of her clown nose and revealing her nose had been disfigured from the slash.

I made a lot of guesses about case 5 and I was happy that I didn't quite hit the mark with some of them. I had called Nayna as being the final killer all the way back when she first appeared, purely because it would have been the most surprising person possible (I was expecting some gimmick where you name Rayfa then point at Nayna). Dhurke, I realized must have been dead as soon as he implied he had a life-threatening disease. I also realized at that point that Amara was alive, but during investigation, the sequence of events I had constructed was: 23 years ago, Inga accidentally killed Ga'ran and Jove, mistaking them for Amara and Dhurke because of prosopagnosia. For whatever reason, Amara then forcibly spent the next 23 years channeling Ga'ran, and I thought for sure the final piece of evidence would be a magatama of parting, where you exorcise Ga'ran from Amara, revealing her to have been there all along.

Hah! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the twist would be Ga'ran was dead and was being channeled the whole time. Also I totally thought the Holy Mother would turn out to be Ami Fey. I was kind of surprised that she wasn't.

Kinda made it hurt more when you find out Ga'ran not, but Dhurke was. RIP Dragon Dad. :(

Sarge definitely needs to be adopted into the Wright Anything Agency!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Argue posted:

Hanging plot threads: ....we never actually find out why the Holy Mother (whom I thought would be Ami Fey) wanted to be channeled back.

Concerning this, I don't think she wanted to be channeled, I think both Ga'ran and Inga were attempting to have the Holy Mother channeled as a final power play. Ga'ran and Amara have the name, but no face. Inga probably figured he could get the name out of Ga'ran somehow, or maybe risked the idea that a familial resemblance would be enough for Maya to channel the sister, Lady Kee'ra, since we DO learn her name in Case 3 and Maya possibly remembers it.

I mentioned this earlier but after Apollo's thought route on Case 5, Day 1 I thought the final story would be the race to prevent the wrong people (or anyone) from channeling what to that kingdom is their highest deity. Had Ga'ran via Amara put a channeled Holy Mother before the populace, even for a brief period, the rebellion would be permanently over, and potentially have a ripple effect into diplomacy with other countries since they just effectively proved their god exists. I'm glad I was totally wrong because that prospect is horrifying to me, but the implications are still in the game imo

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Two small things from the investigation portion of the second part of case 5 that I enjoyed:

Athena's incredulous reaction to Apollo calling it "grape juice", and that Apollo bought Phoenix telling him it was that back in AA4.
When analysing the spilt bucket, Athena claims it wasn't her, and Apollo figures that she preemptively denies fault as she's the sort to get blamed for things she didn't do. When you analyse it later as Phoenix, he instantly suspects Athena.

A Great Big Bee! fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 21, 2016

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Case 5 I don't really think there's any room for doubt there, considering everything else about the religion seems to be true. They can easily replicate people's last few moments, I can't imagine people doubted the Holy Mother existed.

I was totally expecting to cross examine a god though, that would have been amazing. I was also expecting Maya to channel Jove, but what we got was pretty great too considering Rayfa's development.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Momomo posted:

I was also expecting Maya to channel Jove, but what we got was pretty great too considering Rayfa's development.

Yeah, as soon as Dhurke revealed the picture to Apollo, I knew that there would be a seance or channeling, but I was really, really hoping for a channeling.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Case 5

Yeah, I was a little surprised that the legend of the Founder's Orb didn't get played out to its conclusion in the end, since to hear them tell it, Dhurke, Ga'ran, and Inga were all convinced that the spiritual power it would convey were key to achieving their goals.

I don't know about Dhurke but the others must have had some idea that the endgame of the thing would be channeling the Holy Mother. But no one seems to have any idea what this would actually accomplish, or what the Holy Mother would do once revived, beyond somehow giving someone a bunch of power. And who would she give it to? The person who channeled her? But if only the royal family (and the Feys) can channel at all, then how does this help anyone?

Also, if only royals can channel at all, and only royals know the Holy Mother's name, what is the point of the taboo on depicting her face?

In the end, the orb didn't actually help anyone accomplish anything, least of all any channeling. Apollo kinda uses it to call Ga'ran's bluff about being able to channel but it wasn't really necessary; it would have done as much good to challenge her to channel literally anybody.

What was the point of the Founder's Orb?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The point was that Inga believed it would be able to grant power, it doesn't matter whether it could or couldn't in reality. He was probably planning to give it to Rayfa so she could ascend.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I figure it was a hint by Dhurke so Apollo would be able to call out Gar'an, since he must have known she can't channel. As far as who gets the spirtual power, judging from the picture on the container it was in, it seems like she gives it to someone other than who channeled her.

But yeah, for something that was hyped up so much, it mattered surprisingly little. You'd think the royal guard would have paid enough attention to Dhurke to see him fuckin chuck the thing to Apollo.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Fedule posted:

Case 5

What was the point of the Founder's Orb?

Even the Royals didn't know the Founder's face. The orb was the only source of it.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Did anyone else think that (whole game spoilers) Dhurke was going to turn out to be Apollo's biological father somehow? I thought for sure he was when I saw the picture in case 3. They've got the same pointy eyebrow thing.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

mabels big day posted:

Did anyone else think that (whole game spoilers) Dhurke was going to turn out to be Apollo's biological father somehow? I thought for sure he was when I saw the picture in case 3. They've got the same pointy eyebrow thing.

The fact that Apollo's mom remarried and gave birth to Trucy would have been fairly awkward/interesting if Dhurke ended up being Apollo's real dad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Regarding the ending, I hope Apollo gets a slight redesign when he inevitably shows up in AA7, just so he looks less like a rookie and more like the owner of a firm. Give him his own jacket at least.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Regarding the ending, I hope Apollo gets a slight redesign when he inevitably shows up in AA7, just so he looks less like a rookie and more like the owner of a firm. Give him his own jacket at least.

give him dhurke's jacket

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

TheKingofSprings posted:

give him dhurke's jacket

This plus the DRAGON AWAKENED animation

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

He does have a jacket. He left it at the Wright offices.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I think it's inevitable that the Judge is a client. I don't know how it hasn't happened yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fronz posted:

I think it's inevitable that the Judge is a client. I don't know how it hasn't happened yet.

The Judge gets accused, Junpier has to stand in as the new Judge.

As soon as she gets in the court she goes bald and grows a magnificent beard.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

ImpAtom posted:

The beard blooms into flowers when she's surprised.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

I would suspect accessories that just look like a beard and male pattern baldness, but yes this is definitely
happening

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Just started Case 5. Whatever I was expecting, it wasn't "the rebel leader casually strolls into Apollo's office and goes into full embarrassing dad mode".

And it turns out Apollo's real dad passed away 23 years ago, which is about the same time as the assassination that started this whole DC Act mess. There's no way there isn't a connection. I'm getting the feeling that the endgame is going to be proving Dhurke's innocence in the original assassination case.

For now, it seems like the "Founder's Orb" mentioned back in Case 1 is coming back into play. There's no way this archaeologist's death was just an accident; this is an Ace Attorney game. And I'm sure there's a ton of people who would love to get their hands on that orb, whatever it is.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Wyvernil posted:

Just started Case 5. Whatever I was expecting, it wasn't "the rebel leader casually strolls into Apollo's office and goes into full embarrassing dad mode".

And it turns out Apollo's real dad passed away 23 years ago, which is about the same time as the assassination that started this whole DC Act mess. There's no way there isn't a connection. I'm getting the feeling that the endgame is going to be proving Dhurke's innocence in the original assassination case.

For now, it seems like the "Founder's Orb" mentioned back in Case 1 is coming back into play. There's no way this archaeologist's death was just an accident; this is an Ace Attorney game. And I'm sure there's a ton of people who would love to get their hands on that orb, whatever it is.

friend, you've literally seen nothing yet

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

mabels big day posted:

In an interview in the official artbook (Spoilers in link for full game+DLC), the art director says it was a deliberate design choice to make people wonder if that was the case. We don't get to see it in much detail ingame, but Apollo and Jove have two points on their eyebrows, while Dhurke has three.

Lurdiak posted:

I wanna see Apollo wear both his and Dhurke's attorney badges.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I came across the gamexplain review of this game, and the dude was harsher than i was on it. I agree with him though about most of it, though I think case 3's twist was really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

VibrantPareidolia posted:

I wanna see Apollo wear both his and Dhurke's attorney badges.

Sort of 3/5 spoiler: That old coat of Dhurke's in his old office seems like a missed costume DLC option.