Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
The more I play Soldier the more I think he doesn't actually counter Pharah.

Like yeah you counter BAD ones but the good ones move erratically as hell, and unlike McCree, Ana and Widow you actually keep to keep your crosshairs on them for a while.

Maybe I'm just salty because my last team had Ana asking me why I was failing at my duty, but I feel like she's a much better anti-Pharah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
your ult lets you just look her direction and kill her. Also you have a health pool you can put down, also you can sprint to move away from oncoming rockets.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Kashuno posted:

your ult lets you just look her direction and kill her. Also you have a health pool you can put down, also you can sprint to move away from oncoming rockets.

I think a good pharah basic skill test is "Is junkrat killing you". I'll feel all proud of myself about it until I give it some thought and think, "nah, I'm not that great, the pharah I killed is just more :downs: than I am."

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

What I'd like to know is how exactly does pushback affect flying Pharah? Is ramming them as D.va a viable strategy?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

dasmause posted:

What I'd like to know is how exactly does pushback affect flying Pharah? Is ramming them as D.va a viable strategy?

Oh my yes.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

dasmause posted:

Yeah. For both D.Va and Winston smacking yourself into a flying Pharah is a very good tactic.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just had a rare match last night where I played DVA and there was no Zarya on the other team. They didn't even switch to counter when I went from 3 elims as winston in round 1 to 26 by the end of round 2. Their reaper was also bad so I was pretty much uncontested. So much fun just flying around bullying the hell out of everyone. YOU get to go in the pit, and YOU get to go in the pit, oh roadhog thanks for hooking me to you, right next to the pit, guess where you're going? DVA seems like a weird case because she really seems op unless you are running a direct counter. It just doesn't come up much because her counter is in almost every game.

edit: very much enjoying getting better with rein too. had a match last night where I charged, navigated the pushback from a roadhog ult directly in front of me to pin and murder a zen, then earthshocked a lucio and soldier before clubbing them to death.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 21, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hhhat posted:

Yes. The test of the team was standing around and watching you MLG pro it up :rolleyes:

:laffo: oh yeah I'm just Mr. Carries-my-team-as-Zarya over here MLG ownz0ring the gently caress out of noobs and not impatiently waiting for someone, anyone to start getting shot at so I can charge up my gun with killbubbles. A tank shouldn't be out-damaging the attack characters, there's something wrong with that. Hell, as mediocre as I am at this game it's doubly wrong when I'm racking up silver and gold medals in offensive metrics as a tank hero because there's undoubtedly 3-4 people on the team who are better, can do better, and should be doing better. You may have misinterpreted what I was getting at - basically the only real way to do noticeably worse than how I'm doing is to spectate. I could see me griping about being so much better than these dead-weight lowlifes if I was, like diamond, but :lol: 1971 with a season max of like 2315? Come on. That's not a high bar to clear. Hell it isn't even a bar. Just push forward, let me shield you when you get shot at, I promise that poo poo's off cooldown.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
The tanks are more like spheres of death. You get into that sphere, you die. If you stay out of it they can't hurt you much.

If you rack up massive damage as Zarya it's the enemy that's playing wrong by coming into your zone of agony and lasers. Same with Reinhardt, he has no range but if people get into your face they get hammered.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
It's not actually that unusual to see DPS get outstripped by their tanks in damage. Usually the thing that will set DPS apart from their tanks in raw damage is shooting Reinhardt and Winston shields. Other than that, damage distribution can be extremely close, and can even favor tanks if the enemy is playing tightly or isn't keeping out of the tanks' ranges.

If you don't have another tank or an aggressive flanker to initiate for you it's time to switch away from Zarya and grab a tank that can initiate the push instead of waiting to support a push that will never be initiated.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 21, 2016

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
If I learn to Mcree I will become a much better overwatch player. He rewards bomb rear end aim, and is a bursty DPS which doesn't let the enemy team supports gain ult from chip. The biggest selling point is that his terrible mobility will force me to improve my awareness. I really feel like I have a positive impact on games when I play Mcree.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I got 5 gold medals for the first time ever today :)

I was Roadhog

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

JackDarko posted:

If I learn to Mcree I will become a much better overwatch player. He rewards bomb rear end aim, and is a bursty DPS which doesn't let the enemy team supports gain ult from chip. The biggest selling point is that his terrible mobility will force me to improve my awareness. I really feel like I have a positive impact on games when I play Mcree.

this sounds eerily like one of the discussion assignments i get in my online classes

"Which hero do you think would benefit you the most from learning, and why? Briefly explain in your own words."

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
If the changes were supposed to make it easier for healers to get POTG they hosed that up because I only ever see Mercy. I've seen Zen and Lucio maybe once or twice each since I started playing the game and never Ana or Symmetra.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Verranicus posted:

If the changes were supposed to make it easier for healers to get POTG they hosed that up because I only ever see Mercy. I've seen Zen and Lucio maybe once or twice each since I started playing the game and never Ana or Symmetra.

Ana and Lucio are much more rare for PotG than Mercy or Symmetra. I've seen them all but Lucio getting one is exceedingly rare.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i love drilling holes into dvas and roadhogs with my amped up particle beam and watching them panic

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Kenshin posted:

Ana and Lucio are much more rare for PotG than Mercy or Symmetra. I've seen them all but Lucio getting one is exceedingly rare.

Lucio will usually get it he gets a multi boop

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

ImPureAwesome posted:

Yep. I think every Lucio PotG I've ever seen was on Ilios or Nepal with a boop off an edge.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

FAUXTON posted:

A tank shouldn't be out-damaging the attack characters, there's something wrong with that. Hell, as mediocre as I am at this game it's doubly wrong when I'm racking up silver and gold medals in offensive metrics as a tank hero because there's undoubtedly 3-4 people on the team who are better, can do better, and should be doing better.

I dunno, it's not like tanks don't do any damage, it's just that they have a pretty short range. However they also have tremendous health and usually some way to bring the fight to them (hook/charge/jet...Zarya doesn't have any game but she also has the most reliable long-range attack). Unless the enemy makes a substantial effort to stay out of your kill zone, you're just a beefier dps.

I get a lot of medals on Rein and my assumption isn't that the rest of my team is doing nothing, but rather that the reds are not respecting my kill zone and thus they are paying the price.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Kenshin posted:

Yep. I think every Lucio PotG I've ever seen was on Ilios or Nepal with a boop off an edge.

I've gotten some Lucio PotGs on Lijang Tower too.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

ImPureAwesome posted:

That's pretty much the only way he'll get it.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Oh yeah I forgot Winston exists but he kills stuff good too and can jump so he still follows the basic tank format I described previously. And he is pretty qt.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

turtlecrunch posted:

I get a lot of medals on Rein and my assumption isn't that the rest of my team is doing nothing, but rather that the reds are not respecting my kill zone and thus they are paying the price.
Yeah, one thing to keep in mind with medals is that a team that is working closely together, killing the enemies as a group, and staying on the point, are likely to have most of the team sharing various medals for things, and Gold and Bronze only separated by a few eliminations at best.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
When I win games with Zarya I almost always have gold damage. I don't believe that means I'm carrying or anything. It's mostly likely due to my teammates staying in my LOS and letting me build charge.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I want a hero with maximum troll/rage potential:
Jump: If you can land directly on top of an enemy (normally you'd need a bit of elevation to get high enough) you stun them briefly.

Melee: hits cause enemy to lose 30%of their maximum ammo capacity until they reload(dva not affected obviously) forcing them to reload more frequently.

Main attack is weak rapid fire shot whose hits cause enemies aim to pull to the left or right. The more they get hit the more their aim is offset. RMB makes it pull to the right, and LMB makes it pull to the left.

Left Shift : Causes targeted enemy to whip around 180 degrees, and reverses any forward momentum they might have had. Low cool down.

E: Enemy briefly becomes vulnerable to his Ally's offensive abilities (not just damage, but also push/pull/stuns/etc.)

Ultimate: Marks a single enemy, causing all projectiles in a large radius around them to home in on their head.

You could do fun stuff like reverse Reinharts charge and make him ram himself and a buddy off a cliff, neutralize turrets by making them unable to hit you, debuff then ult an enemy and have them die to a thousand projectiles that zoomed in on them, etc.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
A thief class that steals ammo from people would own.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I'd like a guy whose instantly activating ult draws all enemy fire onto him/herself and if they die the effect still stays till the corpse goes away.

Idk why, maybe lucio/zen combos don't satisfy my need for a safety blanket.

Putting it on an enemy seems op, it should not affect physical/melee stuff like charges or hammers or genji anyway

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

turtlecrunch posted:

I'd like a guy whose instantly activating ult draws all enemy fire onto him/herself and if they die the effect still stays till the corpse goes away.

Idk why, maybe lucio/zen combos don't satisfy my need for a safety blanket.

Putting it on an enemy seems op, it should not affect physical/melee stuff like charges or hammers or genji anyway

That entire character description was ridiculously OP. But completely negating all enemy attacks for 10 seconds is also ridiculously OP.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

The Walrus posted:

Just had a rare match last night where I played DVA and there was no Zarya on the other team. They didn't even switch to counter when I went from 3 elims as winston in round 1 to 26 by the end of round 2. Their reaper was also bad so I was pretty much uncontested. So much fun just flying around bullying the hell out of everyone. YOU get to go in the pit, and YOU get to go in the pit, oh roadhog thanks for hooking me to you, right next to the pit, guess where you're going? DVA seems like a weird case because she really seems op unless you are running a direct counter. It just doesn't come up much because her counter is in almost every game.
Boosting around wrecking poo poo as uncountered D.Va is one of the funnest things you can do in this game. The only thing that really comes close is shutting a team down with Bastion, if for some bizarre reason they refuse to hitscan him into oblivion.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

turtlecrunch posted:

I dunno, it's not like tanks don't do any damage, it's just that they have a pretty short range. However they also have tremendous health and usually some way to bring the fight to them (hook/charge/jet...Zarya doesn't have any game but she also has the most reliable long-range attack). Unless the enemy makes a substantial effort to stay out of your kill zone, you're just a beefier dps.

Yeah, if you're playing Rein/D.Va/Zarya correctly, they can pump out damage at crazy rates. It's just a matter of positioning well and taking advantage of the red team's mistakes.

And in my mind that's one of the strongest differentiators between a mediocre tank and a good one. Most people can hold Rein's shield up and stay alive, but a good Rein will wreck the enemy team if they get close, and will position himself to produce those opportunities.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 21, 2016

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Aggressive Rein is the best Rein when done properly. Also a well rounded salt farm when the enemy team begins to get frustrated at being killed by the giant german bastard repeatedly.

Source: Been on the receiving end of a good, aggressive Rein a few times.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

I'm getting a ton of games where as soon as team chat is activated, people are poo poo talking and fighting because they were just in a game together and it didn't go well. I'm sure it happens just as much where you get the same pleasant dude from last match, and occasionally you will hear the comment like, "oh that guy on the other team is gonna pick Hanzo and throw" then surely enough it happens second half. The opposite means you are stuck listening to people bicker before you've even done anything to bicker about, though. I'd almost take longer queue times just for a fresh match each time.

also stop putting griefers who I literally just reported into my next match, what was that 5 minute queue time even for?!?!

sleppy fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 21, 2016

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So the newest trend on the OF is comparing Overwatch to Paladins, and while most people realize that despite them both being cartoony they're totally different game styles some people are hopping the bandwagon to point out all the stuff Paladins does sooo much better than Overwatch.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The one thing I'll say re: Overwatch and Paladins (which also applies to Battleborn after I hunted down some videos of people actually playing it) is it seems like a lot of the non-Overwatch hero shooters don't really seem to do a whole lot with vertical space. Overwatch's maps may not be a masterclass in design through and through but a lot of these other games that keep getting thrown up against it in comparison have maps that just seem like big flat circuits you walk around.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

The one thing I'll say re: Overwatch and Paladins (which also applies to Battleborn after I hunted down some videos of people actually playing it) is it seems like a lot of the non-Overwatch hero shooters don't really seem to do a whole lot with vertical space. Overwatch's maps may not be a masterclass in design through and through but a lot of these other games that keep getting thrown up against it in comparison have maps that just seem like big flat circuits you walk around.
I wish Blizzard would hire or subcontract some of the level designers from the recent DOOM game for some new levels.

Now that game is a masterclass in FPS level design.

That said, the more I play Eichenwald the more I like it, and I'm looking forward to what they release next.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Kai Tave posted:

That's because Paladins and Battleborn and a lot of other games like it are more like (or outright) MOBAs and not just team based shooters. Having a ton of vertical passages outside of the usual three lanes in a MOBA would make it too hard to balance around. I can think of one game that handles it well and that's SMITE, and it's only because they keep any sort of ability that sends you into the air as a short ult and not something you can just do all the time.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Well I imagine the inevitable Moon map will be very vertical. Maybe even have low-grav parts but i doubt that

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm still stuck on endless Anubis. Seriously it's 2/3s if my matches. It's usually Anubis, Anubis, Illos, Anubis, Anubis, Kings Row, repeat. I don't remember playing any other maps for these past two weeks. I've never enjoyed Anubis and this bullshit makes me miss the option to thumbs down a few maps in Star Craft 2.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

RCarr posted:

I got 5 gold medals for the first time ever today :)

I was Roadhog
The dream. I almost had it, once, but gold was stolen just under the wire by an Ana who joined late and actually healed people. And then I didn't even get the 5/4 card. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Nakar posted:

The dream. I almost had it, once, but gold was stolen just under the wire by an Ana who joined late and actually healed people. And then I didn't even get the 5/4 card. :smith:

I got a 65% hook accuracy card :(