Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Baculus posted:

Technically youd have a more negative financial impact on CCP by paying your subscription fees with USD. Just throwing that out there.

hey there, person who can't think good :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

pseudanonymous posted:

Even if the exchange rate is bad they still have no marginal cost per unit so I dunno what you are thinking

The cost of a monthly subscription is $14.95 (at its most expensive).

The cost of a PLEX is $19.95.

So please explain to me how having someone else pay $19.95 instead of you biting the bullet for a lower cost isn't good for CCP. :allears:

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

If I were CCP, I would want as many players as possible getting 'free' subscriptions by buying PLEX in game because it drives up the ISK price, and subsequently the value of the purchase of a PLEX out of game.

There are no other sources of PLEX afaik, which means it's a tidy little closed-loop. 20>15 is really hard.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Baculus posted:

So please explain to me how having someone else pay $19.95 instead of you biting the bullet for a lower cost isn't good for CCP. :allears:

This is correct. Even purchased in the largest bundle, Plex is more expensive ($17.50) than a subscription purchased monthly ($14.95).

Presumably CCP has factored this in to the Alpha Clone plan, although there is one glaring oversite. If they want Alpha Clones players to buy Plex, they should encourage them to piss their Isk away on pirate faction ships. Right now Alpha Clones are faction locked.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

That log is why I did eve jobs and didn't pay eve. Trolling those weirdos all day was a special kind of fun

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Elsa posted:

A few months ago, maybe two, a player on comms starts calling every other thing gay like, "This is gay. That's gay." The standards of video game conversation aren't very high, but they're higher than that. So I ask the guy to stop using gay to describe things he dislikes.

Then Syndic jumps in and says, "The cultural revolution happened because people were painfully unfunny." In that sequence: hey man could you maybe not / the cultural revolution

I went into full brainlock. What do you say when one of the most painfully unfunny people you know drops the mother of all thought-terminating cliches in defense of using "gay" as a pejorative

"SAYING GAY IS WRONG" he yelled at an uncaring sky as his fingers dashed over his keyboard, opening yet another photoshop project in his nude underage disney princesses folder. A bead of sweat formed on his brow.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Baculus posted:

Because it doesn't make any difference whatsoever. Those plex would still be redeemed. Also plex are held from sales etc.. So it's extremely foolish to compare the cost of a plex purchased today to a sub purchased today.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

Blazing Zero posted:

does anyone in this thread play eve?

Eve is a fun game for fun people.

Also, TFR is a good forum.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I got a pod kill yesterday so I play Eve I guess

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Actually I logged in twice this week with two different characters and got a km each time

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

Because it doesn't make any difference whatsoever. Those plex would still be redeemed. Also plex are held from sales etc.. So it's extremely foolish to compare the cost of a plex purchased today to a sub purchased today.

Plex being stashed away for consumer utility has no bearing on what I'm saying at all. And I guess if everyone stopped buying PLEX on the market that demand for PLEX from CCP would somehow remain constant...

:confuoot:

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Hey querns I got the entirety of GBS gassed. Now will you be my friend again?

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

You monster! :argh:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

who knew the krust had that kind of power

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
is that why I can't open the japan.jpg thread

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I am afraid it was not you who got GBS removed, friend.

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

Elsa posted:

A few months ago, maybe two, a player on comms starts calling every other thing gay like, "This is gay. That's gay." The standards of video game conversation aren't very high, but they're higher than that. So I ask the guy to stop using gay to describe things he dislikes.

Then Syndic jumps in and says, "The cultural revolution happened because people were painfully unfunny." In that sequence: hey man could you maybe not / the cultural revolution

I went into full brainlock. What do you say when one of the most painfully unfunny people you know drops the mother of all thought-terminating cliches in defense of using "gay" as a pejorative

This almost certainly didn't happen. And if it did it didn't go down like that.

PS urgay

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Syndic Thrass posted:

This almost certainly didn't happen. And if it did it didn't go down like that.

PS urgay

hey at least we're not on comms talking about what's gay with fifty pairs of ears trying to play a video game

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

VideoGames posted:

I am afraid it was not you who got GBS removed, friend.

Surely my poll/thread contributed.

So many votes for "hit the gas"

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Baculus posted:

Plex being stashed away for consumer utility has no bearing on what I'm saying at all. And I guess if everyone stopped buying PLEX on the market that demand for PLEX from CCP would somehow remain constant...

:confuoot:

The paying customers vs paying with isk argument always brings out the dumbest people. The biggest flaw is they throw supply and demand out the window.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

continuing on with the collapse of current and former hostile entities, the poor bastards in the northern farming pastures are issuing calls to rise up

http://pastebin.com/rmHWD0gB

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

I thought it was just awful app acting up. What did you do?

Orange Red Bull posted:

continuing on with the collapse of current and former hostile entities, the poor bastards in the northern farming pastures are issuing calls to rise up

http://pastebin.com/rmHWD0gB

I was just thinking "I don't know why people call that ORB guy a white noise poster" and then you posted a lovely reddit meme and I remembered. Thanks.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

I was just thinking "I don't know why people call that ORB guy a white noise poster" and then you posted a lovely reddit meme and I remembered. Thanks

i had a good page or so of quality content a couple days ago, sometimes you just wanna get down with the quality level of the thread :shrek:

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

Reverand maynard posted:

The paying customers vs paying with isk argument always brings out the dumbest people. The biggest flaw is they throw supply and demand out the window.

I remember way back when I first started playing EVE, they had a genuinely qualified economist on staff who gave a presentation about how many PLEX CCP had effectively locked out of the market because it was located on banned accounts and poo poo like that. IIRC it was a loving shocking number too.

The CCP financials tell you really clearly what they make from PLEX sales (a fraction of sub sales), but IDK if they ever really disclose just how many PLEX exist - hooray for more fascinating behavioral economics data getting obscured.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

For real though i guess Adversity. the remnants of Tishu are currently on their 3rd PL trial and to prove themselves worthy of elite pvp they are waging a campaign against the fierce residents of Branch.

Namely Cede Nullis, The Methodical Alliance and Blades of Grass. A couple times in the last week they have found themselves outmatched and even waterboarded by these scrappy Branch residents and have repeatedly had to batphone PL or Ncdot for a bailout.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Orange Red Bull posted:

For real though i guess Adversity. the remnants of Tishu are currently on their 3rd PL trial

"no really do our homework and we'll be friends for real this time"

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I just noticed GBS is gone :stonk:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Is GBS gone? nobody's said anything itt about it at all

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Surely my poll/thread contributed.

So many votes for "hit the gas"

Afraid not. It is something that the mods and admins have been discussing for ages.
GBS is a very difficult forum for how bad it could be and we want it to be better.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
hitler said he could make something better too

look how that turned out

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Mr. Grinch posted:

lolololo you guys left this person in charge of our Facebook page? (also I miss Hratli Smirks, holy poo poo.)

no, he started one on his own.
The Imperium facebook group ("The Imperium: All Tomorrow's Parties" ) is not run by PL, it's run by mittens with a bunch of other admins (me, flanders et c).

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

hitler said he could make something better too

look how that turned out

I like to think that the EVE threads have gotten better since we actively tried to make them that way and hope a similar outcome can occur with GBS. If I am wrong, then I apologise.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
wow the front page (at least in the Awful app) now leads off with the Paranoid Conspiracy forum

will we ever really know the truth behind the disappearance of GBS? :tinfoil:

schwaboy
Jul 19, 2004
Uncle Nuts

Elsa posted:

When I joined GSF, nigfleet and chinkfleet where still a thing. Racism was rampant. I was pretty irritated. We all know that online anonimity, and gaming nerd rage brings out the worst in people, so I let it slide. But the Cultural Revolution™ was a great thing. I would have left long ago if it hadn't happened. I've had discussions with Syndic, Jay Amazingness, and a handful of other volatile Thetans about their casual use of the n word. I'm not a fan of it. It's 2016, it's no longer funny-because-of-shock-value, and its just plain irritating. This is the part where the reddit meme brigade would call me a cucklord SJW wewlad or something, but I don't give a gently caress. If you are going to be casually racist in front of me, I'll probably call you out for it. Especially from people who are otherwise reasonably chill dudes.

Edit:

Baculus posted:

At least we try to have a decent, not-very-racist-at-all front-facing shtick, unlike TEST who communicate exclusively in racial epithets and memes.

I have a spy in Test, and I can't loving stand playing over there due to how unforgivably racist, sexist, and homophobic that culture is. It's not TISHU levels of disgusting, but it's still more than I can tolerate.

schwaboy fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 21, 2016

facultas
Jan 2, 2004

No design, no conception.

Mr. Grinch posted:

lolololo you guys left this person in charge of our Facebook page? (also I miss Hratli Smirks, holy poo poo.)

Boring history time.

After Vegas 2015, Kismeteer spun up the Imperium Meet up group on Facebook. To the best of my knowledge, no one asked him to, he just decided to do it and put himself and his wife as admins of the thing. It was a little weird at the time because he was at that point already grumbling about how Mittani had taken advantage of him for fueling towers when he was a logi director or something, and made more weird by his (from what I'm told) refusal to add anyone as as moderators to the Facebook group. It was his Facebook thing rather than a community thing, again, not really sure why, nor am I really sure why he insisted on running it. So we rolled our eyes and just let it go since whatever no big deal. Later on Kismeteer (Goninzo here on SA) spun up "Official" whatsapp and telegram groups as well, same basic circumstances.

Fast forward to this summer, Kismeteer went gently caress goons, was banned from GSF, and a bunch of other minor dramatic details I'm leaving out transpired. Eventually, he ended up in Pandemic Legion and suddenly the GSF and Imperium communities were in a position where social stuff was being run by hostiles. Started getting toxic, and some super tasteless stuff happened, so a new actually official set of groups were made and Kismeteer was all "why is Mittani taking telegraph away from me" or something.

New Facebook group is something like All Tomorrow's Parties as mentioned earlier in this thread, and there's like a dozen mods to add people to it if you're in the Imperium and want to hang out on yachts and such. I think there's a new telegram group as well, but as for how that works :iiam:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

schwaboy posted:

When I joined GSF, nigfleet and chinkfleet where still a thing. Racism was rampant. I was pretty irritated. We all know that online anonimity, and gaming nerd rage brings out the worst in people, so I let it slide. But the Cultural Revolution™ was a great thing. I would have left long ago if it hadn't happened. I've had discussions with Syndic, Jay Amazingness, and a handful of other volatile Thetans about their casual use of the n word. I'm not a fan of it. It's 2016, it's no longer funny-because-of-shock-value, and its just plain irritating. This is the part where the reddit meme brigade would call me a cucklord SJW wewlad or something, but I don't give a gently caress. If you are going to be casually racist in front of me, I'll probably call you out for it. Especially from people who are otherwise reasonably chill dudes.

Edit:

I have a spy in Test, and I can't loving stand playing over there due to how unforgivably racist, sexist, and homophobic that culture is. It's not TISHU levels of disgusting, but it's still more than I can tolerate.

Yes Theta has their fun I hear, and I think that is permissible within a subgroup. People make a choice to be in that setting beyond coalition comms. It's about the setting.

facultas
Jan 2, 2004

No design, no conception.

vyst posted:

That log is why I did eve jobs and didn't pay eve. Trolling those weirdos all day was a special kind of fun

The Vyst and Frabba tag team trolling was amazing, and when you guys ramped up was usually when I went afk from my usual anti-drama overwatch. There were also a couple times when Frabba would pm me all "I'm going to troll a nerd" and I would be be all "sorry I didn't hear you, I'm leaving my computer now."

Wasn't the same without you dudes.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

schwaboy posted:

I have a spy in Test, and I can't loving stand playing over there due to how unforgivably racist, sexist, and homophobic that culture is

I was told that reddit is a bastion of tolerance, progressivism and forward-thinking, champions of womens rights, gender equality and liberalism was I deceived

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Unlike image links, you can't tag real-time voice comms with :nws:

It gets piped directly into people's ear holes and that calls for some reverence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
I'm sorry to anyone offended by my words on the internet.

• Locked thread