Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

And i love that the trainer makes sure the guy is on top so if anything does happen at least he is going to be safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Telsa Cola posted:

At least in this one the trainee looks like they know they hosed up and i think maybe even shoves the trainer in first.

You're going to be disqualified from the military for poor vision. :sigh:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://youtu.be/niB9WhSvUsI

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://youtu.be/lLYtit7vFAg

Did someone say grenade pranks?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Classic screamer prank.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79Wfluzzvac

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

And thats' why they usually don't train with live explosives, isn't it? I'm an idiot civvie who couldn't join the military even if he wanted to (US military doesn't want toys that are already broken) so I have no idea how it goes.

Every Marine has thrown at least 1 live grenade during training. gently caress ups happen and God bless the SOI instructors who are usually huge pieces of poo poo for throwing themselves on Marines that gently caress it up.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I just can't understand how you can gently caress up 'throw this thing over the wall'. Even statistically 'the improbable becomes a certainty after enough repetition', but poo poo. They must have thrown a few dummy grenades first right?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Outrail posted:

I just can't understand how you can gently caress up 'throw this thing over the wall'. Even statistically 'the improbable becomes a certainty after enough repetition', but poo poo. They must have thrown a few dummy grenades first right?

People get real shaky and nervous when they realize the thing they're holding can kill them in a split second. While practicing with a dummy gives you muscle memory for the throw, it doesn't prepare you for the real thing.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Grem posted:

Every Marine has thrown at least 1 live grenade during training. gently caress ups happen and God bless the SOI instructors who are usually huge pieces of poo poo for throwing themselves on Marines that gently caress it up.

initially read this as every marine has thrown themselves on a grenade, which would substantially cut down on rape statistics in Okinawa if true

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

People get real shaky and nervous when they realize the thing they're holding can kill them in a split second. While practicing with a dummy gives you muscle memory for the throw, it doesn't prepare you for the real thing.

Shouldn't they have an intermediate that does explode like a firecracker but doesn't send a hail of shrapnel everywhere?

Or is that what they're using in the tests?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

syscall girl posted:

Shouldn't they have an intermediate that does explode like a firecracker but doesn't send a hail of shrapnel everywhere?

Not sure. I'll have to ask my brother. He just told me the most terrified he's ever been was the first time he threw a grenade and the first live fire exercise he did.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Outrail posted:

You have this metal potato that can murder you dead within 15 feet of it going off, and you have to throw it and hope you don't gently caress up. I've never been in the military but given how I handle situations like that I wouldn't be shocked if i psyched myself out, went full :downs: and ended up being frog tackled into a trench by the instructor.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Panfilo posted:

You have this metal potato that can murder you dead within 15 feet of it going off, and you have to throw it and hope you don't gently caress up. I've never been in the military but given how I handle situations like that I wouldn't be shocked if i psyched myself out, went full :downs: and ended up being frog tackled into a trench by the instructor.

An uncle of mine has told me before (talking about funny stories from when he was in the military) that's a more common reaction than you might think, thus the safety dugouts you see in all these gifs and the instructors who know exactly what to do when it happens.

Rasmus
Jul 13, 2016

I wish I was brian Blessed
I remember someone mentioning that these drills can happen after doing tons of physical activity and sleep deprivation, so these people might be in a semi delirious and exhausted state. I'm not from the military so I don't know if thats accurate or just :words:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

syscall girl posted:

Yes, training grenades are used for training before the live test that's shown in the video. They have a blasting cap inside of an iron shell and make a good bang, but won't hurt you unless your finger is over the hole at the bottom, which is very hard to do.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Rasmus posted:

I remember someone mentioning that these drills can happen after doing tons of physical activity and sleep deprivation, so these people might be in a semi delirious and exhausted state. I'm not from the military so I don't know if thats accurate or just :words:

Oh nice. So aside from "this might kill me by accident" some of these guys might only be hearing "throw the pin, drop the grenade" in their fatigue induced stupor.

Man, that bit in the Thin Red Line makes more abd more sense!

Circuitjerky
Mar 17, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Today I woke up to these two emails:

Not because its dangerous. But because maybe the label is the wrong format.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

wallaka posted:

Yes, training grenades are used for training before the live test that's shown in the video. They have a blasting cap inside of an iron shell and make a good bang, but won't hurt you unless your finger is over the hole at the bottom, which is very hard to do.

A friend of mine in middle school's dad had a dummy pineapple grenade. I thought it was drilled out for funsies but it might have been one of those.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

Oh nice. So aside from "this might kill me by accident" some of these guys might only be hearing "throw the pin, drop the grenade" in their fatigue induced stupor.

Man, that bit in the Thin Red Line makes more abd more sense!

Poor Woody :(

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

:byodood: "Tell my girl I killed fiddy men, and not that I blew my rear end off with a grenade!"

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Lotish posted:

Now stop it in mid air and add Roundabout.

This is what happens when I have too many mixed drinks :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjCWmQbR2vQ

edit: I mean I make stupid videos not that I drive off sweet ramps.

Hearsay
Mar 16, 2012

ekuNNN posted:

Trying to jump into the gracht in amsterdam (which would be schadenfreude even if it went right tbh)

Gounads posted:

Probably better than going in 10 seconds earlier and being run over by the boat.

This is the funniest post in the last two pages. Its almost as though things could have a different outcome with a tweak of the space time continuum. Crossing a road must be a headfuck for you.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

syscall girl posted:

A friend of mine in middle school's dad had a dummy pineapple grenade. I thought it was drilled out for funsies but it might have been one of those.

Based on my experiences, there are three types of training grenades.

The first one is just a metal/plastic dummy, which is the size, weight and shape of the grenade and will only hurt anyone if you throw it at their head. It might or might not have the working pin and handle. This is used to get the muscle memory for operating grenades in general.

The second one, which is used to prepare for a live exercise, has real pin, handle and firing cap, and as someone mentioned, will "explode" with the force comparable to generic fireworks, this is used to memorize the sequence of actions. This will hurt you if it goes off in your and or pocket, and will kill you if you swallow it. In FDF there also is a "flour" variant, which explodes into a cloud of powder, also marking the "kill zone" of a real grenade, so if you got powdered you know you hosed up.

And then there is the real thing. With conscription armies this is usually the most dangerous and fault-prone exercise in the basic training, so no sane battalion commander approves this training action after a physically demanding exercise or camp training. Usually, this is the only (or first) training activity of the day at the firing range. And people still manage to gently caress it up, because they are clumsy, nervous or just happen to have bad luck, like hitting their hand on the back wall of the bunker when throwing the live one. This is most likely also the only exercise in the basic training with the direct "gently caress up --> die instantly" effect for non-spec ops recruits.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
http://i.imgur.com/vpaK5KW.gifv

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hearsay posted:

This is the funniest post in the last two pages. Its almost as though things could have a different outcome with a tweak of the space time continuum. Crossing a road must be a headfuck for you.

What a strange thing to ridicule.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

"You grab my stick? Okay, sir, let's dance."

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Malachite_Dragon posted:

"You grab my stick? Okay, sir, let's dance."

I love the bit where the customer starts laughing at it

Also the "No sir that's not my decoy cone, that's my first decoy cone" routine is never not funny

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The double cone trick is a time honored ice cream parlor tradition.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean like every Turkish ice cream stand does that. It's the gimmick, it's performance art.

There are some way longer and more :monocle: videos of it if you care to look

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Solice Kirsk posted:

The double cone trick is a time honored ice cream parlor tradition.

I wonder how many people lose their poo poo at these kinds of pranks. When I worked at an ice cream shop, people came in every day ready to fight me about their order. Like, "I order something off the menu with no substitutions and then shout at you for not making a substitution," ready to fight. People get real mad about ice cream!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Platystemon posted:

Is there a significant advantage to the Russian design or is it just a “gently caress you” to people who expect the spoon to do its job?

No one in military design or procurement in Russia considers any of the peasant conscripts their weapons are designed for as people. :(

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Grenades cost potato, the dead... Cost nothing.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

She threw that like Chevy Chase in Spies Like Us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtpUTJci77s

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgVHHBPcfCY

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://fat.gfycat.com/UglyWhiteCentipede.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

gently caress, that thing is pretty quick.