Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I hate the required theater of applying to jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I hate jobs and would rather bust out robots to do all my poo poo so I can just study physics all day

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Professor Bling posted:

I hate jobs and would rather bust out robots to do all my poo poo so I can just jack it all day

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Professor Bling posted:

I hate jobs and would rather bust out robots to do all my poo poo so I can just smoke weed all day

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Professor Bling posted:

I hate jobs and would rather bust out robots to do all my poo poo so I can just make even badder robots all day

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Mike-o posted:

First day of class for fall quarter, Jesus Christ I do not like getting up earlier than like 930-1000.

Only reason I'm surviving this 0900 chem class is a combo of modafinil and like 90% of the material so far being a review for the "chemistry for retards" prereq course I took over the summer.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Vasudus posted:

One of my career goals is to never have to do an actual job application again.

I know I'm still a bit away from this, but this is a huge goal of mine as well. Luckily, that's not terribly rare in community medicine, so it's a distinct possibility within a few years of residency finishing, depending on what field I get into.

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Only reason I'm surviving this 0900 chem class is a combo of modafinil and like 90% of the material so far being a review for the "chemistry for retards" prereq course I took over the summer.

I'm pretty good at the chemistries, let me know if you need any help.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I hate the required theater of applying to jobs.

Your resume just doesn't look good. Like, here let me hold them up at arm's length and then tell me which one you would hire? "Uhh, the one that's actually done the job and knows his poo poo? God drat why do you care about fonts that aren't wingdings?"

Did you email the recruiter a follow up letter within two days thanking them for their time and expressing your interest in the job? "Didn't I loving do that when I set up the appointment and drove three hours each way?"

I mean I get why all the brain-dead ridiculous bullshit exists, it is what it is. Possibly only second to Marines in breadth and depth the Army is an unparalleled experience of dealing with brain-dead ridiculous bullshit, so I can and will follow the herd in performing the dog and pony show required just to get me to the end goal of what I want.

...but gently caress me sideways, I will always and forever wish death upon the self feeding poo poo-snake ouroboros culture that is human resources insisting on taking this stuff seriously.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Morning class tomorrow got cancelled. He's also the teacher for my afternoon class so that is also cancelled. Don't have to go in until 5 pm.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
I know I'm being paid to learn and it'll probably mean the class will be behind schedule but gently caress me would I love it if just one class got canceled. Four years and it hasn't happened once.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

My mornings are wake and bake Tue and Thur thanks to art classes and the need to shut off my brain and just create.

Like smoke weed, draw poo poo, edit videos. Mon, Wed, Fri like two hours of classes. That's it.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

TheQuietWilds posted:

I'm pretty good at the chemistries, let me know if you need any help.

Thanks. I'm really just kvetching about having to get up before 10 plus the professor being legitimately loving terrible, but aside from a possible knock down drag out shitfit if/when she tries to dock points because I don't use loving dimensional analysis for calculations I'm pretty much good.

Only thing I might need help with is for someone to talk me down off the ledge before I actually decide I want to take Orgo, despite it not being a requirement anywhere and the distinct possibility that it would crater my sGPA.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

After submitting it September 2nd, I finally got a letter from the VA about Vocrehab. They said that they will mail me a letter with their decision and then gave me a piece of paper that said that if I wanted to appeal THAT decision, that was how to do it.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Soulex posted:

After submitting it September 2nd, I finally got a letter from the VA about Vocrehab. They said that they will mail me a letter with their decision and then gave me a piece of paper that said that if I wanted to appeal THAT decision, that was how to do it.

I spent two quarters on Post-9/11 while doing all of the voc rehab paperwork. Finally started it this quarter and drat it felt good buying all of the books I needed with VA money

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

You guys 430 rowing practices are a bitch. I was warned.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

You guys 430 rowing practices are a bitch. I was warned.

You hosed up 420 csgo practice owns

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Jesus christ 430 rowing practice. Like I'm sure when you get into the routine it will be a good and cool workout to get you ready for the day, but the first few weeks of not being able to move my arms would make it really hard for me to get to that point anymore without being forced

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
With the exception of weddings and other family stuff I have not woken up before about 10 am in almost a year and I am perfectly ok with that. gently caress doing something at 4:30.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Thanks. I'm really just kvetching about having to get up before 10 plus the professor being legitimately loving terrible, but aside from a possible knock down drag out shitfit if/when she tries to dock points because I don't use loving dimensional analysis for calculations I'm pretty much good.

Only thing I might need help with is for someone to talk me down off the ledge before I actually decide I want to take Orgo, despite it not being a requirement anywhere and the distinct possibility that it would crater my sGPA.

DA is actually a pretty important skill later on as things get more and more complicated. They're probably giving you problems that are solvable now without it but later on you will almost assuredly lose track of where you are.

Orgo is not as impossible as they make it seem. It was actually my best grade of pre-Med study. There's zero math and it's all shapes, memorizing and thinking a few steps ahead in problem solving.

The best analogy of it is those "make 24" cards from elementary school where you had to combine numbers into 24 by manipulating the order of operations. Now imagine that with a dozen new operations to learn each exam. You'll be given a line drawing of a starting molecule and an ending molecule and asked to make a list of steps that will get you there, or alternately a starting/ending molecule and a list of steps and ask you to reason out the opposite end. The trickiest parts of the reasoning will involve rotating 3D structures in your head to figure out if certain parts come out up vs down or left vs right.

Some people who are super good at math but bad at shapes find it to be a killer, but I'm the opposite so I found it kind of fun and a good mental challenge, and it's quite literally indispensable if you want to really understand medicine or biology.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 22, 2016

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
gently caress that. That's worse than waking up for PT.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Naked Bear posted:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Naked Bear posted:

Counterpoint: doing PT won't get you laid, college athletics definitely can

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Also, rowing is useful and will make you gorilla strong . PT is not and will not.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

TheQuietWilds posted:

DA is actually a pretty important skill later on as things get more and more complicated. They're probably giving you problems that are solvable now without it but later on you will almost assuredly lose track of where you are.

Orgo is not as impossible as they make it seem. It was actually my best grade of pre-Med study. There's zero math and it's all shapes, memorizing and thinking a few steps ahead in problem solving.

The best analogy of it is those "make 24" cards from elementary school where you had to combine numbers into 24 by manipulating the order of operations. Now imagine that with a dozen new operations to learn each exam. You'll be given a line drawing of a starting molecule and an ending molecule and asked to make a list of steps that will get you there, or alternately a starting/ending molecule and a list of steps and ask you to reason out the opposite end. The trickiest parts of the reasoning will involve rotating 3D structures in your head to figure out if certain parts come out up vs down or left vs right.

Some people who are super good at math but bad at shapes find it to be a killer, but I'm the opposite so I found it kind of fun and a good mental challenge, and it's quite literally indispensable if you want to really understand medicine or biology.

I mean I can definitely see where it'd come in handy later on when you get beyond potato-level chemistry, and if her approach had been something along the lines of, "As long as it's working for you that's fine, but if you're planning on continuing to more chemistry courses then it'd be a good idea to practice DA so you're familiar with the method when the complexity skyrockets" then I wouldn't have a problem. But, "Use DA or you're going to lose points"? Now you're just a lovely professor.

If the big boogeyman about orgo really is spatial reasoning, then :lol: I'm definitely taking that poo poo.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Is there a reason rowing is at 4am?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
It takes forever

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Reverand maynard posted:

Is there a reason rowing is at 4am?

Water is calmer, less traffic on the river.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

psydude posted:

Water is calmer, less traffic on the river.

So much for training how you fight

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

No classes scheduled at 4am.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Reverand maynard posted:

So much for training how you fight

I don't think they row between party boats and poo poo.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

He rows in the rain?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Soulex posted:

He rows in the rain?

I guess I'll find out tomorrow morning if the storm keeps up.

The reason is that it takes about 3 hours and the first classes are at 8:30 so it means that everyone is available. Also water is calm and there's nobody else out there.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

I guess I'll find out tomorrow morning if the storm keeps up.

The reason is that it takes about 3 hours and the first classes are at 8:30 so it means that everyone is available. Also water is calm and there's nobody else out there.

Why does it take so long?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
How can you see where you're going in the dark?!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

App13 posted:

Why does it take so long?

There's a morning brief from the coach, carrying the boats from the clubhouse to the water, a 5km warm-up, and then 20km laps, then coming back into the dock, carrying the boat up, debrief, weights and stretch.

Grem posted:

How can you see where you're going in the dark?!

You can't really, but all the boats have lights on and there's nobody else out there. The area around the river is pretty urban so you can see the lights of buildings and the roads.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Frosted Flake posted:

There's a morning brief from the coach, carrying the boats from the clubhouse to the water, a 5km warm-up, and then 20km laps, then coming back into the dock, carrying the boat up, debrief, weights and stretch.

You can't really, but all the boats have lights on and there's nobody else out there. The area around the river is pretty urban so you can see the lights of buildings and the roads.

How close to practices resemble what's portrayed in the College Classic "How High" Starring redman and method man?

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

If the big boogeyman about orgo really is spatial reasoning, then :lol: I'm definitely taking that poo poo.

Spatial reasoning and memorization, yeah. It isn't easy, but I think its reputation is somewhat undeserved as King poo poo of hard class mountain. It's mostly just a really different way of thinking that throws people for a loop. Definitely buy Klein's "Organic Chemistry As a Second Language" whether they require it or not. It's pretty cheap and really helpful. Kahn Academy has great Orgo videos as well.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Is it normal to not receive a pell grant, and instead receive a "need based grant" that gets applied directly to your tuition bill? I'd never heard of that before, but I noticed it on my account. Also I should mention that vocrehab takes care of tuition for me.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Rock and Row

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

App13 posted:

Is it normal to not receive a pell grant, and instead receive a "need based grant" that gets applied directly to your tuition bill? I'd never heard of that before, but I noticed it on my account. Also I should mention that vocrehab takes care of tuition for me.

My school matched my Pell Grant for financial aid reasons. I would imagine you'd need to call your bursar or financial aid people to have them break down the specific verbage of your account.

• Locked thread