Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Syndic Thrass posted:

I'm sorry to anyone offended by my words on the internet.

No you aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jbz
Jun 6, 2011

Syndic Thrass posted:

I'm sorry to anyone offended by my words on the internet.

ty, slurs are bad

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

facultas posted:

I think there's a new telegram group as well, but as for how that works :iiam:

It's named "The Imperium: All Tomorrow's Telegrams" and there's an invite link on goonfleet.com

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

facultas posted:

Boring history time.

After Vegas 2015, Kismeteer spun up the Imperium Meet up group on Facebook. To the best of my knowledge, no one asked him to, he just decided to do it and put himself and his wife as admins of the thing. It was a little weird at the time because he was at that point already grumbling about how Mittani had taken advantage of him for fueling towers when he was a logi director or something, and made more weird by his (from what I'm told) refusal to add anyone as as moderators to the Facebook group. It was his Facebook thing rather than a community thing, again, not really sure why, nor am I really sure why he insisted on running it. So we rolled our eyes and just let it go since whatever no big deal. Later on Kismeteer (Goninzo here on SA) spun up "Official" whatsapp and telegram groups as well, same basic circumstances.

Fast forward to this summer, Kismeteer went gently caress goons, was banned from GSF, and a bunch of other minor dramatic details I'm leaving out transpired. Eventually, he ended up in Pandemic Legion and suddenly the GSF and Imperium communities were in a position where social stuff was being run by hostiles. Started getting toxic, and some super tasteless stuff happened, so a new actually official set of groups were made and Kismeteer was all "why is Mittani taking telegraph away from me" or something.

New Facebook group is something like All Tomorrow's Parties as mentioned earlier in this thread, and there's like a dozen mods to add people to it if you're in the Imperium and want to hang out on yachts and such. I think there's a new telegram group as well, but as for how that works :iiam:

I don't think there was anything official about any of it. I just did it because we wanted a way to communicate during eve vegas etc since most of us didn't have forum access. Or forum access was too slow. I think we were planning the Madison goonp at the time and there were a bunch of people who were vacationed and couldn't get access to the meet up area. Still run the facebook group, even if it dies off, will most likely use it for goons who are no longer goons. See myself. I gave two other GSF people mod, including clewara, never had a problem letting people in. But stripped that when poo poo went down, but eh, low drama otherwise with it.

I've run the Eve Vegas telegram (previously whatsapp) for a year now, still going strong, have a good group of people who hang out. It's not a surprise why The Mittani would want control of them either, except he never seemed to want to hang out with us, like ditching our group on the old strip and going to his secret squirrel parties. If people want into the old Eve Vegas telegram group, hit me up, I'm easy to find. I purge regularly people who don't talk though.

There are other goon telegram/whatsapp/irc/discord groups, but you'd have to contact the appropriate groups to join those groups, I just happen to control one of them.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Theta comms are terrible, local mute is great, and not getting on Theta comms at all has done amazing things for my Eve chill

Highly recommended for anyone tempted to start an unchill slapfight when they would rather be chilling and playing a fun game (while doing Eve stuff in the background lmbo)

edit: not that I disagree with schwaboy's broader point but sometimes it's not worth beating your head against the wall

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 21, 2016

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

facultas posted:

Kismeteer wanted to control The Imperium social networks for obviously nefarious purposes.

goninzo posted:

Mittens wanted to control The Imperium social networks for obviously nefarious purposes.

I'm okay missing Vegas as long as any IRL slapfights are well-documented.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

facultas posted:

he was at that point already grumbling about how Mittani had taken advantage of him for fueling towers when he was a logi director or something,

One point to call out here: This was really started by another interesting chain of events. Nymblar went to a party at Arkhamina's house in Madison. During that party, he had a conversation about Nymblar running GSOL hiring with The Mittani instead of Arkhamina. And Ark had done hiring and firing for a long time, through multiple gsol directors like rdevz and javajunky.

So Arkhamina was fired from direktorate, even though she was still fueling and emptying 10-20 towers a months, which was more than Nymblar was doing, and Ark was the last old school goon in GSOL besides xttz. I cannot comment on Ark's GSOL hiring process as it was usually long but we usually got good people out of it. It was a little painful for those in GSOL who had worked with Ark so long.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Arkhamina hadn't done poo poo for months. She'd log in like once a month maybe to do hiring and firing. She should have been shitcanned long before she was. She got carried by nepotism for far too long.

vyst fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 21, 2016

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice
how is syndic the most unfunny person? I think he's funny.

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

vyst posted:

Arkhamina hadn't done poo poo for months. She'd log in like once a month maybe to do hiring and firing. She should have been shitcanned long before she was.

Except her RC numbers were better than Nymblar's. Mordoc and SHO'KAR were carrying us at that point, though.

End of August, 2015:
(9:12:16 AM) tasteless_spacebbq: rc report top10
(9:12:16 AM) rc: All Tasks:
1Mordoc - 119
2SHO'KAR - 79
3Yroc Jannseen - 66
4Artcanin - 61
5Inaxxion - 43
6RDevz - 32
7Kilwerkz - 30
8Arkhamina - 29
9Nymblar - 25
10Kyiera - 24

Silos Emptied:
1SHO'KAR - 54
2Artcanin - 47
3RDevz - 20
4Arkhamina - 15
5Yroc Jannseen - 10
6Kwm - 6
7Tau Amari - 2
8Nymblar - 1
9Titus Maul - 1

End of September, 2015:
(9/29/2015 8:36:53 PM) rc: All Tasks:
1Mordoc - 146
2SHO'KAR - 87
3Inaxxion - 60
4Kilwerkz - 48
5RDevz - 45
6Artcanin - 41
7Lavender Princess - 40
8Chief Pigeon - 31
9Nymblar - 28
10The Pigeon - 27

Silos Emptied:
1SHO'KAR - 72
2Artcanin - 23
3RDevz - 20
4Kwm - 20
5Inaxxion - 12
6Chief Pigeon - 8
7Yroc Jannseen - 4
8Nymblar - 4
9Lavender Princess - 3

goninzo fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 21, 2016

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
hope you mean 2015 or earlier there bud because i don't see her on top 10 right now

quote:

(9/29/2015 8:36:53 PM) rc: All Tasks:

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar

gwrtheyrn posted:

hope you mean 2015 or earlier there bud because i don't see her on top 10 right now

whoops typo, had a full time/date stamp on a later one.

And she pretty much stopped doing logi work after that incident so v0v.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

goninzo posted:

I purge regularly people who don't talk though

no love for lurkage what the gently caress

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Elsa posted:

Unlike image links, you can't tag real-time voice comms with :nws:

It gets piped directly into people's ear holes and that calls for some reverence.

Racism and such are bad things. However if they at all contributed to your leaving then they can't be ALL bad.

facultas
Jan 2, 2004

No design, no conception.

goninzo posted:

Ark was the last old school goon in GSOL besides xttz.

While I have nothing against her, Arkhamina joined then Goonfleet because of our amazing parties. I think she was a rando hisec person before she latched onto the party crew in Iceland during Fanfest, then later got an SA account.

And like Vyst says, she was indeed one of the last nepotism directors. I had been trying to space fire her for something like a year and every time Mittani was like "no, she's a friend, I don't want her fired." After some spectacular GSOL org failure that I no longer remember, he finally let me space fire her. Sidenote, GSOL was by far my least favorite organization to work on. Normally an org would break, I'd fix it, and things would be fine. GSOL just refused to stay fixed. Probably spent more time on it than all the other orgs put together due to all the dumb drama, thin skin, victim complexes, and other stupid bullshit. Whatever that org failure was finally let me wrecking ball the nepotism, and under Nymblar GSOL has been crazy good and handled some of the most trying logistical stuff that has happened in the last half-decade. And more importantly meant that I didn't have to try to fix it again every four months or so.

Which brings up an interesting distinction on personnel. GSF is huge, it relies on active space leaders so that the organization runs and so that line members don't suffer. It meant that my position was uniquely awful in that I'd frequently have to fire friends or people I liked due to no other reason that they weren't doing their jobs, had nothing to do with who they were as people.

Usually these situations fell into two categories. The first: People who were like "yeah cool no worries whatever" was by far the most common. The second: "How dare you! Also I'm so attached to this virtual space power that I'm going to take it super personally!" is the more rare.

And I mean I guess I get it, people invest a lot into EVE, but at the end of the day it's space pixels and getting worked up over it is weird. Particularly when directors going inactive, being fired, then being re-hired down the line is such a common thing.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

facultas posted:

And I mean I guess I get it, people invest a lot into EVE, but at the end of the day it's space pixels and getting worked up over it is weird.

lol

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
To be fair, Logistics is the worst job in eve. Have to deal with :effort: as gently caress mechanics, CCP constantly trying to make it even harder, sov mechanics, POS code, and the constant stream of nerfs on things like the Rorqual.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

facultas posted:

And I mean I guess I get it, people invest a lot into EVE, but at the end of the day it's space pixels and getting worked up over it is weird. Particularly when directors going inactive, being fired, then being re-hired down the line is such a common thing.

:haw:

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013
is there a backstory about this:

http://holesquad.ninja/

or is it some inside holesquad joke

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice
:cripes:

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

goninzo posted:

To be fair, Logistics is the worst job in eve. Have to deal with :effort: as gently caress mechanics, CCP constantly trying to make it even harder, sov mechanics, POS code, and the constant stream of nerfs on things like the Rorqual.

Preferred it to shooting red X's

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

goninzo posted:

Spergdata

She was not being a good representative as a leader of GSOL which includes participating in leadership discussions. If you want to be a drone, be a drone, but you don't need to be a director to do that. Halo effect made her a director presumably, but if you don't want to act the part anymore and just want to do your tasks and not be bothered- don't be an absentee representative. A group as critical as GSOL needs active worker bees AND active leadership - this is how i unfucked recon.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

vyst posted:

She was not being a good representative as a leader of GSOL which includes participating in leadership discussions. If you want to be a drone, be a drone, but you don't need to be a director to do that. Halo effect made her a director presumably, but if you don't want to act the part anymore and just want to do your tasks and not be bothered- don't be an absentee representative. A group as critical as GSOL needs active worker bees AND active leadership.

I think the biggest problem is people knowing when to step down. People have this weird thing where once they are in charge they never want to take orders from anyone again.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Depressed over his lot in life — especially being fired by the Goon Space Authority — Sianime goes to his homeworld of Nipponland for some comfort from his mother, Dariushka. The free-thinking Dariushka is sympathetic, but clearly uneasy over his declaration that he will be "living" with her for an unspecified period of time. Sianime soon learns the reason behind her uncertainty. When he enters his old bedroom, he finds Grand Autist Mittan — the GSA leader — hiding in the closet! It turns out that Dariushka and Mittan are in love.

Mittan demands Sianime keep their affair a secret, and Sianime agrees, thrilled that his mother is now the beloved of the most powerful man on his homeworld. But when Sianime hints that he would like Zek to reinstate his revoked business license, Zek refuses, reminding Sianime that it is up to the GSA. Sianime returns to his room, where Inquisitor Endee, the former GSA agent who revoked his license, confronts him.

Endee offers to give Sianime a new business license if he breaks up Mittan and Dariushka. Sianime agrees, and soon places doubts in Mittan's head about Dariushka's motives. The plan works — his mother is left heartbroken. Sianime feigns sympathy, then contacts Endee, who keeps his word and gives him the business license.

Mittan offers Sianime the position of First Suckup. Sianime happily accepts — then discovers the Grand Autist is not the strategy-making whiz he once was. By day's end, the GSA has experienced a drastic slide due to the Mittan's failing memory. A stunned Sianime returns home, where Dariushka reveals that she had been helping Mittan. Sianime realizes that his mother was more than Mittan's lover — she was the power behind the throne. Dariushka, in turn, realizes that Sianime turned Mittan against her, and may have destroyed the GSA empire in the process.

Sianime encounters Endee, who reveals that the entire plan was a set-up designed to help him become the new Grand Autist. Sianime is free to return to Goon Outpost Nine, but feels too guilty over what he has inadvertently done. The next day, Sianime saves Mittan by supplying him with enough brilliant advice to turn around the GSA's empire, but then reveals that the advice actually came from Dariushka. After Sianime admits to breaking them up, Mittan and Dariushka happily reunite.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Divine Blob posted:

bookmarked

can you add a guestbook so i can sign it??

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Reverand maynard posted:

I think the biggest problem is people knowing when to step down

if you spent 6 years emptying towers for the martini you'd feel pretty entitled too bud

facultas
Jan 2, 2004

No design, no conception.

goninzo posted:

And this is exactly what I meant regarding why GSOL refused to stay fixed and victim complexes.

Every job is the worst job in EVE. Any space job is tedious, takes work, has CCP's awfulness to deal with, etc. No single org was unique, special, or different, but the cultural transmission of "but guys, unlike everything else in EVE, logi is HARD."

Seriously, no one made anyone do that poo poo, if you didn't like it, didn't have to do it. Would have been better than reluctantly half-assing or no-assing it while complaining non-stop.

Caveat--there were (and still are) some excellent GSOL directors, lest I paint with too broad a brush.

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
Hahahah Hendrick post poo poo like that more and pearl clutch less

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Syndic Thrass posted:

Hahahah Hendrick post poo poo like that more and pearl clutch less

Only if you promise not to say the n-word and f-word because your public school education failed to civilize you.

Deal?

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Divine Blob posted:

Yeah the story behind that is uncle phil

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Unfunny Poster posted:

Only if you promise not to say the n-word and f-word because your public school education failed to civilize you.

Deal?

gently caress you nincompoop

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Unfunny Poster posted:

Deal?

Go back to tumblr

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vyst posted:

Go back to tumblr

What are you going to do now that GBS got shut down?

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

Unfunny Poster posted:

Deal?

I went to military school

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know what I'm going to do. Post cat gifs.
http://i.imgur.com/g78hI4K.mp4

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Syndic Thrass posted:

I went to military school

Was it in a state loyal to the Union? If not you're a traitor and should be shot.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

VideoGames posted:

I like to think that the EVE threads have gotten better since we actively tried to make them that way and hope a similar outcome can occur with GBS. If I am wrong, then I apologise.

I tend to stick to other forums, but IIRC a few years ago GBS wasn't great but it did serve its purpose as a general discussion area. The few times I bothered to check it out in the past few month, it was like BYOB-lite for the chromosomally-gifted. The mods made the right call

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
The reddit/r/relationships thread was p loving good while it lasted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schwaboy
Jul 19, 2004
Uncle Nuts

Morris posted:

edit: not that I disagree with schwaboy's broader point but sometimes it's not worth beating your head against the wall

What can I say? I'm a sucker for punishment.

goninzo posted:

And she pretty much stopped doing logi work after that incident so v0v.

Arkhamina is a friend. But I believe in being honest to my friends. Between the time I became recon director, and the time Nymblar finally took over full control and Arkhamina was fired, GSOL was a mess. Very specifically, I remember our little Providence deployment being a total GSOL fumble. We didn't have a staging tower. I had found a totally untowered R64 down there that I asked GSOL to take. And we needed a lot of supplies shipped down that never got moved. I personally ran a dozen or so JF runs for Aryth, and towered that R64 myself. If jobs are not getting done, people need to get space-fired. And people shouldn't take it as a direct insult to their IRL friendships to get space fired for poor performance. A person can get space fired, and still be friends with their former space boss. I let recon slip, and was beginning to fail at my space job, so I did the honorable thing and stepped down before I had to be space fired. And I don't have to hate Mittens or Sion or anyone else over it.

schwaboy fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 21, 2016

• Locked thread