Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Smiling Jack posted:

We've been operating UAVs in very permissive airspace against opponents who operate in the Stone Age.

I'm not sure we're quite ready to throw UAVs at near-peer competitors who actually know how to degrade communications and information networks.

Comcast operates outside the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

That Works posted:

They are working on the ITAR paperwork now

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Smiling Jack posted:

We've been operating UAVs in very permissive airspace against opponents who operate in the Stone Age.

I'm not sure we're quite ready to throw UAVs at near-peer competitors who actually know how to degrade communications and information networks.

Yeah, I'm more asking in the sense of "It seems like eventually things will go unmanned on a larger scale". I don't know if the timeframe for that meshes up with the service window of the B-21.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

pretty much the whole acquisition's been classified

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

That Works posted:

:drat:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

That Works posted:

:perfect:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Apparently a U-2 went and did one of those lithobraking things:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/20/politics/california-u-2-crash/

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
U-2 ejections seem to be pretty often casualty-inducing. Also, the missions are long as poo poo with very weird flight tolerances and cumbersome gear.

I'd rather drive a Tanker, tbh.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
https://translate.google.com/transl...cio-activo.html

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
China's space station is falling
http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/satellites/a22936/tiangong-falling-to-earth/

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I love how Mexico bought Texans. :allears:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Dragon Lady down, both ejected. One dead, one injured.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/u2-spy-plane-crash-california-kills-pilot-injures-212541083--finance.html

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Airline related, kind of :nws: depending on the kind of job you have
http://www.backus.fr/hotesse-de-lair-sexy-et-hot/

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I can honestly say I've never seen a flight attendant as attractive as any of them.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Unsurprisingly, Aeroflot wins by a landslide.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

That's an incredibly generous depiction of Tiangong-1...

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Oh hey, no worries, we'll just take the Space Shuttle up there and slap some PAM rockets on it to safely deorbit it and...oh...right. :smith:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Shooting Blanks posted:

Unsurprisingly, Aeroflot wins by a landslide.

I thought it was some fictional airline and they were actresses because of the logo but no, for the 90th anniversary they actually switched to old Soviet era livery with the hammer and sickle in it.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Oh hey, no worries, we'll just take the Space Shuttle up there and slap some PAM rockets on it to safely deorbit it and...oh...right. :smith:

Well, maybe if the Air Force wasn't so stingy with the X-37B...

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Well, maybe if the Air Force wasn't so stingy with the X-37B...

I remember reading a GI Joe comic that had something similar as a scenario, only difference it was the Space shuttle that was attacked by a Cobra shuttle and GI Joe had to launch their own top secret one.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cardiac posted:

I remember reading a GI Joe comic that had something similar as a scenario, only difference it was the Space shuttle that was attacked by a Cobra shuttle and GI Joe had to launch their own top secret one.

The West Wing had an episode about a shuttle 'stuck' in orbit, and the fact that the Air Force had a personal super-secret Shuttle that was purposely kept off the books that could've been used to save the crew.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

B4Ctom1 posted:

Airline related, kind of :nws: depending on the kind of job you have
http://www.backus.fr/hotesse-de-lair-sexy-et-hot/

God I love women.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The West Wing had an episode about a shuttle 'stuck' in orbit, and the fact that the Air Force had a personal super-secret Shuttle that was purposely kept off the books that could've been used to save the crew.

Was this before or after the X-37? I guess before.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
B-21 Specter would've been a better name. Or even B-21 Black Raider.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Godholio posted:

Was this before or after the X-37? I guess before.

Before, but I'm pretty sure even with EVA suits the X-37 (especially the A model) didn't have room to fit a full crew and restraints to keep them secured for reentry. The implication was that it was a regular Shuttle with "Air Force" on the side that we didn't want anyone to know we had because it was reserved strictly for classified/military use.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

LostCosmonaut posted:

The Rb 05 is loving magical - a supersonic MCLOS missile on a single seat aircraft (meant to be launched at very low altitude, to boot).

I assume they were never used in combat, but they must have been the odd exercise with live fire. Anyone know what sort of hit rate they actually managed.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

X-37 is pretty tiny. You might get two guys home if you added basic life support and restraints in. I'm not actually sure how big the payload bay is on it, so possibly not even that. It looks to be that whole center section top to bottom, but I've never seen a non-rendered picture of it. Solar panels and poo poo also fold into there.

At one point this thing was going to be CARGO for the space shuttle.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There were actually two such plots. One with the shuttle stuck in orbit but eventually fixing itself, one with the ISS losing oxygen and no shuttle available to evacuate the crew. So they send the secret one, which was able to be readied in time and dock with the station on it's very first flight. Because TV shows are very realistic.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Alaan posted:

X-37 is pretty tiny. You might get two guys home if you added basic life support and restraints in. I'm not actually sure how big the payload bay is on it, so possibly not even that. It looks to be that whole center section top to bottom, but I've never seen a non-rendered picture of it. Solar panels and poo poo also fold into there.

At one point this thing was going to be CARGO for the space shuttle.

7 × 4 ft, apparently: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_X-37#Specifications

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Deptfordx posted:

I assume they were never used in combat, but they must have been the odd exercise with live fire. Anyone know what sort of hit rate they actually managed.

I don't have any hard numbers but old geezer stories indicate it was actually pretty good - something like "minute of garage door" at max range. When you started training on the system, you first had to fire a thousand shots in a simulator. Then you were upgraded to firing about half a dozen SS-11's (a 50's MCLOS ATGM that moved at a snail's pace in comparison) from a bug smasher, and finally after that you could try it live on a real aircraft.

After launch, the missile automatically pitches up and into the pilot's field of view so you can start steering it. The rocket engine is smokeless and the missile has a light in its rear end, so since the steering's collimated "all" you need to do is line up the light with the target and keep it on there. You put the aircraft in altitude hold mode on the autopilot while doing it. It's still hard but not completely impossible.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

What loving idiot signed off on a twodimensional cargo bay

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013
I thought satellite "maintenance" was part of the original plans for X-37's capabilities.

If the 80's taught me anything, it's that you only need one guy and a secret phase-conjugate tracking mirror to handle a faulty space station, plus a lot of popcorn.

Now we've got something that doesn't even have a mirror or popcorn, and we don't even use it. It's like Back to the Future II all over again.
People wait all this time, and all we get are shoes that light up, and "hoverboards" that are nothing more than boring fire hazards. Lame.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Effective-Disorder posted:

I thought satellite "maintenance" was part of the original plans for X-37's capabilities.

If the 80's taught me anything, it's that you only need one guy and a secret phase-conjugate tracking mirror to handle a faulty space station, plus a lot of popcorn.

Like shooting ducks in a barrel.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This was (almost) the worst plot line The Sam/Callgirl and Zoe/Kidnappers plots might win out there. What a stupid way to deal with such a good character.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DeesGrandpa posted:

This was (almost) the worst plot line The Sam/Callgirl and Zoe/Kidnappers plots might win out there. What a stupid way to deal with such a good character.

The deus ex machina nuclear catastrophe was pretty bad.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Terrible Robot posted:

Like shooting ducks in a barrel.

Let's go see that film on blinding techniques, and then we'll have lunch, hmm?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Before, but I'm pretty sure even with EVA suits the X-37 (especially the A model) didn't have room to fit a full crew and restraints to keep them secured for reentry. The implication was that it was a regular Shuttle with "Air Force" on the side that we didn't want anyone to know we had because it was reserved strictly for classified/military use.

My point was that the Air Force having a secret shuttle wasn't exactly outlandish since they literally did.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Platystemon posted:

The deus ex machina nuclear catastrophe was pretty bad.

Yeah that too. I wouldn't have had a real problem is it was just a nuke plant issue but to have it have magically been one that the republican candidate fought to have built is pretty out there.

Still maintain even though the later years were noticeably more out there, it was still great TV.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

the real out there part is a republican advocating for spending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Somebody dropped an absolutely massive album about Ulithi Island in particular and the Pacific War in general on imgur:
http://imgur.com/a/mOvzk

Of particular note; here's how good the damage repair crews were during WWII; the Houston was later repaired from this: