Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Kashuno posted:

Is there a good podcast/review resource for board games? I've played a bunch but it has been over the course of years now and pretty well spread out. The only games I actually own now are Boss Monster, Viticulture, Roll for the Galaxy, and Seasons. I'd like to hear from people with way more detailed opinions than mine about what I should look at.

I enjoy Shut Up and Sit Down, even if I don't always agree with their analysis. It's a more fun show to watch than the usual sit down and talk about a game that most review shows have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Heavy Cardboard is not a good podcast, especially for people that are new to the world of hobby gaming since they only cover heavy and obscure games.

Try out The Secret Cabal for guys that have some actual personality and good content that's mostly acceptable to everyone (they cover all genres, euro, ameritrash, etc). They're just a group of friends with varied tastes that also have production quality and don't ramble on about sports and family bullshit. The only criticism I have for The Secret Cabal is their reviews are light and not very critical, but their shows are still pretty solid. They start each episode talking about games they've played recently, do a review of the week, then talk about gaming news and Kickstarter projects, but it's a 2+ hour show all together so you can listen here and there and get through it all.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 21, 2016

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Tuesday knight podcast is a pretty solid one

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Resources are the money and/or experience you get from fighting, basically combining the combat and economy of traditional RTS games into one action. There isn't base building per se, but there is the element of controlling territory and objectives by properly moving and positioning your forces, while keeping an eye on the enemy's.

Yes, but in the context of adapting to board games, I think the gameplay loop is critically different. Like, I don't think Star Craft The Board Game is your starting point for a MOBA adaptation.

As another example, fighters and brawlers are cut from the same video game cloth, but you wouldn't pitch Final Fight TBG as "BattleCON but co-op against 4-6 bots". Or at least, I wouldn't. They've evolved fundamentally different gameplay loops.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Bottom Liner posted:

Heavy Cardboard is not a good podcast, especially for people that are new to the world of hobby gaming since they only cover heavy and obscure games.

I like Heavy Cardboard, but yeah it's definitely not aimed at new people to the hobby who're looking for light, accessible games.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I definitely enjoy heavier games too so I'll check all of those. Thanks!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Reading through A Feast For Odin's rules has me pretty excited. I like the use of action spaces that require you to place many vikings at once for superior actions, and the questing mechanic appears to be well-implemented. I like that you can take your workers back if your quest fails and get a pity action. It seems like this will lead to having a similar style of mechanic as the action-cards introduced in Agricola's expansion, where the tension over taking a possibly sub-par free action versus spending a worker to take an action complicates decision making.
I also like that cows get pregnant.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
So, Food Chain Magnate players. Let's talk CFO bonuses.

I got my first few games of this in this week, with 3, 4, and 5 players, and in each game the player who managed to hit the $100 Milestone and in turn the CEO=CFO perk was, by no small margin at all, the clear winner long before the game was over. For people who have played the game more, how true does this turn out on average? Each game consisted of entirely new players each time (myself being the only consistent person in each of the 3 games). Is this a symptom of newer players not utilizing enough aggressive counter-marketing or pricing to attempt to thwart the snowballing of the CFO player? Generally at least one or two players were still making decent money on their own, but not enough to keep up with the leader. Radios were never used in any of those 3 games either; is that an important part of controlling demand that players (myself included) are undervaluing?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The CFO bonus is basically designed to end the game faster when a player's engine begins to outperform others. especially in early games before people understand the engines of the game, the CFO bonus getting player will usually win. Closer games will either cut off the player who gets the CFO bonus's business somehow or see multiple people getting the CFO bonus at the same time.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Heading to Essen, is there any place to preorder an English version of a Feast for Odin, or is it strictly look on the day. Also awaiting the Inis preorder with baited breath.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Merauder posted:

So, Food Chain Magnate players. Let's talk CFO bonuses.

I got my first few games of this in this week, with 3, 4, and 5 players, and in each game the player who managed to hit the $100 Milestone and in turn the CEO=CFO perk was, by no small margin at all, the clear winner long before the game was over. For people who have played the game more, how true does this turn out on average? Each game consisted of entirely new players each time (myself being the only consistent person in each of the 3 games). Is this a symptom of newer players not utilizing enough aggressive counter-marketing or pricing to attempt to thwart the snowballing of the CFO player? Generally at least one or two players were still making decent money on their own, but not enough to keep up with the leader. Radios were never used in any of those 3 games either; is that an important part of controlling demand that players (myself included) are undervaluing?
The person that gets the free CFO does have an advantage, and a way to get to 100 dollars fast is a really important aspect of strategy in this game. The 100 dollars free CFO is, in my mind, a way to prevent slow strats from going really, really slow and encourages people to start pumping out demand early and start selling stuff as early as possible.

The issue with FCM is that the entire strategy aspect relies on the map. Radios can be extremely good because they pump out demand like crazy, especially with the first radio campaign milestone. The additional benefit of them is that they are higher in the demand priority queue so that you can easily fill up demand for something before an earlier campaign has a chance to. This is similar to airplane campaigns, although the latter tend to have a higher advertising number. Countering someone that got an early CFO really depends on what kind of strategy they have gone for. If they only have trainers it will be easy to make it difficult for them to meet the demand if you start creating some that is outside of what they can produce. If they have a coach or guru it becomes extremely difficult, because especially with a guru, they can go from an errand boy to a zeppelin pilot in a single turn.

FCM is just so map reliant: this is, in part, what makes the game brilliant, since something will not work every single time, you have to adapt. Does your opponent have a hard time getting a specific drink? Create demand at houses near him. Have you got restaurants relatively close to his main source of income? Start undercutting him like crazy: selling something at low price is better than selling nothing. There's way too many variables to outright be able to say 'if he does this, do this'.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

HidaO-Win posted:

Heading to Essen, is there any place to preorder an English version of a Feast for Odin, or is it strictly look on the day. Also awaiting the Inis preorder with baited breath.

Bated, but yes, same here :getin:

Edit: as for less pedantic content

Fat Turkey posted:

A common question no doubt but any suggestions for solitaire games, ignoring the obvious Mage Knight?

If you can still get a hold of it, At the Gates of Loyang has an excellent solo mode, and is fun with 2 and 3 as well.

More recently I've enjoyed Tiny Epic Galaxies solo mode.

theroachman fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 21, 2016

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Impermanent posted:

The CFO bonus is basically designed to end the game faster when a player's engine begins to outperform others. especially in early games before people understand the engines of the game, the CFO bonus getting player will usually win. Closer games will either cut off the player who gets the CFO bonus's business somehow or see multiple people getting the CFO bonus at the same time.

This. We've seen the player with the CFO bonus cut out entirely after he got it, in fact it's happened twice. It's all about the board play, the player with the CFO bonus is not guaranteed to make any money on any given turn.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kashuno posted:

Is there a good podcast/review resource for board games? I've played a bunch but it has been over the course of years now and pretty well spread out. The only games I actually own now are Boss Monster, Viticulture, Roll for the Galaxy, and Seasons. I'd like to hear from people with way more detailed opinions than mine about what I should look at.

Asking questions about certain games or genres you like to the thread will get you generally good opinions. Unless it's Rutibex. He might tell you to play Talisman. Don't. It's a trap.

Bottom Liner posted:

Seafall will put you all to sleep before it becomes remotely interesting apparently.

B-b-b-but it's legacy, and therefore it must be good, right?

On the subject of SeaFall, one general trend that I've found is helpful in steering away from meh board games is this - is it absurdly popular (aka, the most popular game) at GenCon? If yes, avoid. Two out of the three years I've gone the 'hotnesses' of the convention (Dead of Winter and SeaFall) turned out to be aggressively mediocre games. Nevermind that Plaid Hat routinely makes sure that they never bring enough of the game to satisfy demand.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Yo, quick question - is there any point in just getting MoM 1e to use it with the new app, or do you need to buy additional stuff to make the game work? Got a deal on 1st edition but need to work out if i'll need to pump more money in just to actually play it co-op.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

MikeCrotch posted:

Yo, quick question - is there any point in just getting MoM 1e to use it with the new app, or do you need to buy additional stuff to make the game work? Got a deal on 1st edition but need to work out if i'll need to pump more money in just to actually play it co-op.

The 1e monster minis/investigator minis/map tiles are compatible with the new app, but only if you already own the 2e base game. FFG's releasing a pack with just those 1e components and none of the incompatible components soon, it's still pretty expensive but might still be cheaper than 1e if you're not planning on using 1e except as spare parts.

If you don't own the 2e base game then you can't play coop.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LuiCypher posted:

Asking questions about certain games or genres you like to the thread will get you generally good opinions. Unless it's Rutibex. He might tell you to play Talisman. Don't. It's a trap.

I would like to get some worker placement games soon!

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

HidaO-Win posted:

So on the Z-Man Page http://www.zmangames.com/news/essen-spiel16-releases-preview they say there will not be a pick up pre order of the English version (in the comments section)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Kashuno posted:

New Hotness worker placement games are the dice-based, fast-playing but deep Voyages of Marco Polo and the tile-laying A Feast For Odin, which has yet to be released but is by a respected designer. Marco Polo is widely available and generally considered to be best-in-class as a middleweight dice-placement euro.

For classics of worker placement, you have a few options:

Want something extremely cut-throat but accessible, with an auction system? Get Keyflower. If you want something like that but without the auctions, get Caylus.

If you want something that relies more on pure resource conversion efficiency, try Agricola. If you like that but want more freedom to try new things, try Caverna. If everything else on this list looks a little too complex, try Castles of Burgundy.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

LuiCypher posted:

Truth. This thread has been a much more reliable resource than any show or podcast. Mostly because career reviewers have a queue to power through, and thus only spend a cursory amount of time looking at each game before recording. Whereas this thread has a better functional division of labor--a bunch of individual goobers each only playing the games that interest them, and developing detailed opinions of those games.

But if you simply must go to iTunes or Youtube, remember the thread maxim: "Fun" is a meaningless descriptor for a game. Never trust a reviewer whose final assessment is "It's just fun!" or "I didn't have fun."

Kashuno posted:

Agricola and Caylus are the venerable old kings of the genre, and hard to go wrong with. Caverna is also fine, since it's basically an Agricola variant with kinder starvation rules. (This can either be a plus or a minus depending on your personal tastes. Thread regulars tend to favor Agricola's meanness.)

Dungeon Petz and Argent: the Consortium are thread favorites for the genre, but both are a definite step up in complexity. The former combines worker placement with bidding and, uh, tamagotchi-raising? Except the tamagotchi might murder your family. Argent is pretty straightforward worker-placement...if you gave all your workers fireballs and told them to deep-fry anyone standing in their way.

I'll also throw in a mention for Spyrium here. It's a decent game with a bit of a bidding element, nothing too special. But the main selling point is it's only ~$20 on Amazon, if you wanna dip your toes in the genre before going whole hog.

Oh, and then there's Lords of Waterdeep, which is...fine. It's fine. It's playable, and you won't be entirely bored out of your mind. But someone rubbed a D&D Player's Handbook all over it, and that's something that's important to some groups.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
People who ditch the CFO bonus I think do so because they like big lumbering "optimal" strategies (that they probably looked up online) and prefer no one gets it than to have an opponent snag it.

I play it a lot online and just recently I played a game and realized it was literally the first time the reserve cards *weren't* $400 across the board from everyone else.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

LuiCypher posted:

On the subject of SeaFall, one general trend that I've found is helpful in steering away from meh board games is this - is it absurdly popular (aka, the most popular game) at GenCon? If yes, avoid. Two out of the three years I've gone the 'hotnesses' of the convention (Dead of Winter and SeaFall) turned out to be aggressively mediocre games. Nevermind that Plaid Hat routinely makes sure that they never bring enough of the game to satisfy demand.
The Plaid Hat logo in general is a sure sign of overhyped nerd bait.

Kashuno posted:

Everything Gutter Owl listed is good, but there's a ton of worker placement stuff out there. Any preferences regarding player count, time, complexity, player interaction/competition?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Mister Sinewave posted:

People who ditch the CFO bonus I think do so because they like big lumbering "optimal" strategies (that they probably looked up online) and prefer no one gets it than to have an opponent snag it.

I play it a lot online and just recently I played a game and realized it was literally the first time the reserve cards *weren't* $400 across the board from everyone else.

Oh I wasn't suggesting that it be taken out (though I can imagine that some people could react to it by doing so). More just curious thoughts on the impact it has on the second half of the game from people who have played it more than myself. With a game like that, 3 plays is basically nothing in understanding optimization, strategies, and seeing the game as a whole. It's easy to narrow in on that one thing and say "Well obviously he won, he got hundreds more dollars for free compared to everyone else", but I get the feeling that there's more at play than that (like Tekopo said, the board plays a lot into it I'm sure).

Last night the guy who got the $100 CFO bonus started with lots of hiring and training, then advertised to a corner that no one was able to contest him on (his nearest competition didn't do anything to reduce their prices and were more focused on each other than the inevitable winner), then used a NBD to drop several new houses in his corner round over round. As that started happening we all keyed in on the fact that he was about to get a ton of money, but it was a couple turns before any of us could try to influence the market in his area to render him unable to serve, but with all the extra RGs and Trainers he was already prepared with both cooks and drink pick ups, so there wasn't much that advertising could have done. I'm unsure if either having someone build a new restaurant near him, or simply trying to cut prices a bunch would have worked to cut off his income for a turn or two.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mister Sinewave posted:

Everyone always goes for the $300 ones because they think they will either win bigger or be able to come from behind. Overall I think the reserve cards are a great idea but have much less impact than pretty much every other mechanism in the game; $100 is, like, a couple houses' income in one turn later in the game. Only if you get a majority on board with $100 cards would the difference be felt . . or at least, that's what I suppose. I've never actually seen it happen.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I've said it before but FCM is a game that looks like it has a runaway leader problem, but it's not a problem - it's the point. The goal is to win that race before anyone else, and the game incentivizes making money early (seeing reserve cards, CFO bonus) and not just making lumbering juggernauts of industry that leave the board basically untouched while they compete on who can put up a radio with chefs behind it first.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Kashuno posted:

Rahdo does video playthroughs of games (YouTube). He's not the best resource, but if you want a quick idea of how a game plays, he'll give you a cursory glance of it in action. You'll need to learn to take him with a grain of salt though; not every game that he likes will be fun to play.

Watch it Played is another good resource for seeing a game in motion and for learning it.

Tim Norris also does playthroughs on YouTube, and actually has his wife there to play with him, so you get a good idea of how the game plays two player with two actual people.

As far as podcasts go, I really like Punching Cardboard, but a lot of that is that it's fun to listen to two old guys blather about scotch and board games. Heavy Cardboard is also great if/when you start getting into heavy games.

Really the only thing to avoid is the Dice Tower and any review that boils down to a game being just "fun."

Something else I'd suggest is finding local board game meetups and going to them. Try random games and see what you like.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dirk the Average posted:

Rahdo does video playthroughs of games (YouTube). He's not the best resource, but if you want a quick idea of how a game plays, he'll give you a cursory glance of it in action. You'll need to learn to take him with a grain of salt though; not every game that he likes will be fun to play.

Watch it Played is another good resource for seeing a game in motion and for learning it.

Tim Norris also does playthroughs on YouTube, and actually has his wife there to play with him, so you get a good idea of how the game plays two player with two actual people.

As far as podcasts go, I really like Punching Cardboard, but a lot of that is that it's fun to listen to two old guys blather about scotch and board games. Heavy Cardboard is also great if/when you start getting into heavy games.

Really the only thing to avoid is the Dice Tower and any review that boils down to a game being just "fun."

Something else I'd suggest is finding local board game meetups and going to them. Try random games and see what you like.

I've been going to a local meetup here the last couple weeks and some of the games were good and some were absolutely horrible (Dark Moon) which is what is really getting me back into the hobby

Wizard Styles posted:

The Plaid Hat logo in general is a sure sign of overhyped nerd bait.

Everything Gutter Owl listed is good, but there's a ton of worker placement stuff out there. Any preferences regarding player count, time, complexity, player interaction/competition?

I like a good amount of player interaction, player count can be anywhere from 4-10 I think is a good number

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Kashuno posted:

I've been going to a local meetup here the last couple weeks and some of the games were good and some were absolutely horrible (Dark Moon) which is what is really getting me back into the hobby

Definitely the best way to do it. And yeah, as mentioned earlier, bounce games off the thread to get an idea of what you're getting into. Odds are at least one person has played it and people here are pretty good about going into depth about why they like what they like.

Just never listen to Rutibex.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Mister Sinewave posted:

I've said it before but FCM is a game that looks like it has a runaway leader problem, but it's not a problem - it's the point. The goal is to win that race before anyone else, and the game incentivizes making money early (seeing reserve cards, CFO bonus) and not just making lumbering juggernauts of industry that leave the board basically untouched while they compete on who can put up a radio with chefs behind it first.
Last two games I played with rush to Guru and then immediate radio/chef and I still think it's a really slow opening. First game I lost badly, second game I was able to corner the burger market and no one caught up with me.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Dirk the Average posted:

Just never listen to Rutibex.

Definitely read his post though, otherwise you miss out on gems like buying Tanto Curo for your dad.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Moriatti posted:

Definitely read his post though, otherwise you miss out on gems like buying Tanto Curo for your dad.

Having played that game before..uhhhh

bean mug
Nov 11, 2011

you think you can just say things to me?
Dark Moon isn't good? I haven't had the time to pick it up yet, but BSG is one of my favorite games and I know that was created as a faster alternative to BSG. :( I was hoping to pick it up eventually.

Talk me out of T.I.M.E Stories, please. I watched SUSD's review but that still convinced me I want to own this game. Some people on BGG love it, my SO is hesitant to plunge for the high costs vs short playtime (Pandemic Legacy was tough to get because he hated the idea of a game eventually not having replay value), and I hate myself.

VVV: Well what was the issue? I guess is what I'm trying to ask. :(

bean mug fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 21, 2016

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
By the time we finished Dark Moon almost everyone in our group was ready to call it a night a few hours early.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

bean mug posted:

Dark Moon isn't good? I haven't had the time to pick it up yet, but BSG is one of my favorite games and I know that was created as a faster alternative to BSG. :( I was hoping to pick it up eventually.

Talk me out of T.I.M.E Stories, please. I watched SUSD's review but that still convinced me I want to own this game. Some people on BGG love it, my SO is hesitant to plunge for the high costs vs short playtime (Pandemic Legacy was tough to get because he hated the idea of a game eventually not having replay value), and I hate myself.
Dark Moon is as random as fuuuuuuck where the deniability in the actions (you know, what the destiny deck is used for in BSG) is the fact that even a good guy might randomly roll badly. So basically it's impossible to actually know if someone is deliberately loving you over or doing it because he got unlucky. It's worse than BSG in every imaginable way.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

bean mug posted:

VVV: Well what was the issue? I guess is what I'm trying to ask. :(

T.I.M.E. Stories is hot garbage. It's a badly written CYoA book in a $50+ package with a badly implemented "combat" system tacked on and a escape-room quality puzzle at the end. Also, really hope you like the story, because you'll be going through it 3 times in a row.

Dark Moon sucks also, but then again, so does BSG.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
It's been awhile since I've played Dark Moon, but my group really enjoyed it when we did play. You can augment some of the randomness of the dice with the power on the cards, and I think you can give people dice to roll.

Also it plays in under 5 hours, unlike BSG.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Kashuno posted:

I like a good amount of player interaction, player count can be anywhere from 4-10 I think is a good number
You won't find a worker placement that plays 10.

For high interaction, I'd recommend Caylus or Keyflower. Caylus as a more or less pure worker placement game with several indirect and direct ways of screwing with your opponents' plans. With Keyflower it's hard for me to place in a genre, but its main mechanics are worker placement and auctions. The auction mechanic works really well in this and there are lots of direct player interaction as a result. Caylus will usually be fairly cutthroat, Keyflower should always be.

There's also Dominant Species, which combines worker placement and area control. It's fairly heavy and not really representative of worker placement as a genre to me, so I wouldn't recommend it for now, but you might want to look at it in the future.

Argent also could be a good fit. I can't say for sure, though, since I've never personally played it. Which is mainly because the coloring style pushes its artwork straight into uncanny valley territory for me, but I also remember reading a synopsis of it and coming away thinking that there's too much hidden information and fiddly poo poo. The thread likes it, though, so idk.

e: Tzolk'in would be a game with a fair amount of interaction that is purely indirect and less aggressive than Caylus, Keyflower and Dominant Species.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 21, 2016

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Well I definitely panicked and bought all of these on the morning the FFG/GW news broke and they finally all arrived today.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Oldstench posted:

but then again, so does BSG [suck].

Texibus posted:

BSG is 5 hours.

Neither of these is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

dropkickpikachu posted:

Well I definitely panicked and bought all of these on the morning the FFG/GW news broke and they finally all arrived today.

You clearly need to get yourself a second Diskwars Core Set, as well as a box of cereal, some toy soldiers and a deck of cards to rutibex up a copy of Talisman before GW's legal department grabs the reins from FFG and hunts you down for such things.