Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

"Reality is loathe to give us all we want"

Now taking bets on the other things he wants and is given by reality is anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Khazar-khum posted:

This troper has been struck by lightning. Twice. First time hurt like a bitch, but the second was kinda fun.

"this troper thinks static electricity is getting struck by Lightning"

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Fathis Munk posted:

"this troper thinks static electricity is getting struck by Lightning"

Thank you, I could not understand how that was possible. I guess if you go out into fields during thunderstorms?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Robert Reich isn't really the sort of person I would expect to make stuff up entirely, but god drat if this story he posted today doesn't sound like bullshit.

Robert Reich posted:

My Coffee With a Trump Supporter

I finally found a Trump supporter – this morning when I went to buy coffee. (I noticed a Trump bumper sticker on his car.)

“Hi,” I said. “Noticed your Trump bumper sticker.”

“Yup,” he said, a bit defensively.

“I hope you don’t mind my asking, but I’m curious. Why are you supporting him?”

Advertisement

“I know he’s a little bit much,” said the Trump supporter. “But he’s a successful businessman. And we need a successful businessman as president.”

“How do you know he’s a successful businessman?” I asked.

“Because he’s made a fortune.”

“Has he really?” I asked.

“Of course. Forbes magazine says he’s worth four and a half billion.”

“That doesn’t mean he’s been a success,” I said.

“In my book it does,” said the Trump supporter.

“You know, in 1976, when Trump was just starting his career, he said he was worth about $200 million,” I said. “Most of that was from his father.”

“That just proves my point,” said the Trump supporter. “He turned that $200 million into four and a half billion. Brilliant man.“

“But if he had just put that $200 million into an index fund and reinvested the dividends, he’d be worth twelve billion today,” I said.

The Trump supporter went silent.

“And he got about $850 million in tax subsidies, just in New York alone,” I said.

More silence.

“He’s not a businessman,” I said. “He’s a con man. “Hope you enjoy your coffee.”

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
If so it's relatively tame, the other dude isn't even convinced about the error of his ways at the end. He just stops talking because he's doesn't want to pursue the conversation.

And not a single clap in sight.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Standard and Poors 500 has annual dividends of about 2-2.5%. In 40 years it would turn $200 million into roughly $550 million tops.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Oh come on

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Paladinus posted:

Standard and Poors 500 has annual dividends of about 2-2.5%. In 40 years it would turn $200 million into roughly $550 million tops.

A share of S&P 500 in 1976 would cost around $100, today they cost over $2,100. $200 million would turn into $4 billion, not counting reinvestment of dividends.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

WrenP-Complete posted:

Thank you, I could not understand how that was possible. I guess if you go out into fields during thunderstorms?

There was a park ranger who was hit by lightning seven times, so it's definitely possible.

Otoh tropers only rarely venture out of their basement, so them getting struck by lightning is, uh, rather unlikely

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

System Metternich posted:

There was a park ranger who was hit by lightning seven times, so it's definitely possible.

Otoh tropers only rarely venture out of their basement, so them getting struck by lightning is, uh, rather unlikely

But does it not hurt? Does it hurt some of the time and not others?

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

WrenP-Complete posted:

Hurts horribly and leaves amazing scars.

ETA link.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

WrenP-Complete posted:

I've read a lot of lightning strike accounts, and it's wildly unpredictable. Some people report feeling nothing, others have severe pain. Some have no side effects, others have health issues for life.

Basically, it's a relatively plausible story, or at least it would be if it were on any other website.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
I seem to remember a story about a guy who did not realize he had been struck by lightning until he went to a doctor days after with a migraine and they discovered Lichtenberg Figures. Perhaps he was full of poo poo too though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CannedMacabre posted:

I seem to remember a story about a guy who did not realize he had been struck by lightning until he went to a doctor days after with a migraine and they discovered Lichtenberg Figures. Perhaps he was full of poo poo too though.

Perhaps they found the Lichtenberg Figures in the poo poo?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Jerry Cotton posted:

Perhaps they found the Lichtenberg Figures in the poo poo?

Maybe his poo poo was Lichtenberg figures.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What is even supposed to be going on here? Some person wrote a question on a piece of paper and another person answered it - where does "kid" come into it?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Look at that awkward block writing, it just has to be a kid. What more proof do you need?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fathis Munk posted:

Look at that awkward block writing, it just has to be a kid. What more proof do you need?

Well OK sure but who is supposed to have written the upper part?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well OK sure but who is supposed to have written the upper part?

a teacher

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I have never in my life gotten an assignment the teacher handwrote on a piece of notebook paper. Why would they do that when they'd have to do it like 30 times?

Not that it would be any more real if they had printed out a more realistic looking assignment, but still..

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Alaois posted:

a teacher

Ah so the person who made that either never went to school or went to a Steiner school, but I repeat myself.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Murphy Brownback posted:

I have never in my life gotten an assignment the teacher handwrote on a piece of notebook paper. Why would they do that when they'd have to do it like 30 times?

Not that it would be any more real if they had printed out a more realistic looking assignment, but still..

Theoretically you could be giving that to one kid who is getting a different assignment from the rest of the class b/c of an IEP or whatever

But yeah "WACKY THINGS MY STUDENTS RESPOND" and "MY TEACHER SHARES MY SLASH OTP" are the school equivalents of Dear Husband, Have a Beer, Video Game, Place a Dick into My Bum! Love, Wife!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

Ah so the person who made that either never went to school or went to a Steiner school, but I repeat myself.

what your teacher didn't handwrite every question you were assigned????

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
That receptionist? Augustus Gloop.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Eponine posted:

That receptionist? Augustus Gloop.

The fat guy? Albert Einstein

And the other guy was Hitler too!

(we need more Hitler stdh)

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

read the first line as "jerking it off" and my interpretation was much better than the actual text

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Yes, Michio Kaku and Neil De Grasse Tyson, two genius luminaries of the field, surely equal to if not greater than Hawking or Einstein.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Had this live specimen appear on my Facebook the other day:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
He passed on 2 for 1 because he was feeling under the weather, not because he couldn't eat enough for 2 people. Just let that sink in.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

ohohoho look at my clever ability to name six incredibly obscure famous science mans and purposely avoid answering the question just to show off how clever I am! I'M SO CLEVER LOOK AT MEEEEE

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

I spent two minutes too long (two minutes total) trying to work out what the supposed scenario here even is, and best I could work out is a writing/language class that opens with an informal, ungraded writing exercise, with a prompt that students copy from the board into their notebooks, as a warm-up before getting to the main meat of the day's lesson. But that wouldn't explain why the prompt and answer are in different handwritings... then I realized I was spending time and energy analyzing a poorly thought-out STDH and reckon I need to take a break from this thread :doh:

Graedyn
Feb 21, 2009

Wedge Regret

Mr. Belpit posted:

I spent two minutes too long (two minutes total) trying to work out what the supposed scenario here even is, and best I could work out is a writing/language class that opens with an informal, ungraded writing exercise, with a prompt that students copy from the board into their notebooks, as a warm-up before getting to the main meat of the day's lesson. But that wouldn't explain why the prompt and answer are in different handwritings... then I realized I was spending time and energy analyzing a poorly thought-out STDH and reckon I need to take a break from this thread :doh:

Not saying this is real, of course but back in the day--in my college Psychology/Sociology class--our professor had each of us write a question of this sort on a piece of paper and put them on his desk as we were leaving at the end of class. The next day we met he passed them out at random, had us answer them, then hand them in. We then took the questions, one at a time, and discussed them as a class.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Khazar-khum posted:

Haircut

quote:

This troper's father once tried to make me like my horrible new bowl cut by saying this "Guys will want to be you, and girls will want to be you." As a teenager and troper, my response was as follows
"So this haircut encourages people to follow the trends set by another in order to be popular and it encourages girls to judge what's on the outside rather than the inside. Great lesson dad."

Guys will want to be you. And girls... will want to be you :grin:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Mr. Belpit posted:

The only realistic scenario would be some sort of exercise where the teacher has each student write a question and pass it to another.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

tankadillo posted:

So he did get the 2-for-1?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

tankadillo posted:

Don't most "2 for 1" specials have caveats? Such as 1 per customer, for equal or lesser value, must be the same thing, tell your server at time or purchase etc. So you can't use your discount to go towards a different bill.

Also, lets assume that it's true. Dude overhears an argument, (which apparently started over a creep ogling the couples daughters who are not mentioned again), between a married couple and feels bad because they are arguing and the guy is an angry abusive jerk. He then proceeds to get the guy angrier at the wife, (who would have done nothing wrong and knew nothing about it), and chuckles about how he will probably get so worked up that he will beat her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

So he did get the 2-for-1?

:eyepoop: