Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

B.H. Facials posted:

https://youtu.be/VH7ekPB68OM
It looks like they might be. I know Medeco and Abloy have been considered unpickable locks for years but there have been ways to defeat them under special circumstances. There are Abloy picks but I don't think the average joe can purchase them without being a certified locksmith. Granted, I haven't really looked because I've never seen an Abloy lock in the wild. "Locksport" is a fun hobby people should check out. It definitely opened my eyes as to how vulnerable the locks we rely on in our daily lives truly are.

Make sure you check the laws in your country/state/whatever before buying stuff though! I know here in canada it's illegal to have lockpicks on you and it's basically considered that you are intending to steal poo poo if you have them. If you do it only at home I guess you would probably be ok but it's important to be aware of the laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"

KingColliwog posted:

Make sure you check the laws in your country/state/whatever before buying stuff though! I know here in canada it's illegal to have lockpicks on you and it's basically considered that you are intending to steal poo poo if you have them. If you do it only at home I guess you would probably be ok but it's important to be aware of the laws.

Oh definitely. My stuff doesn't leave the house. It doesn't take much for the law to pinch you for burglary tools. Hell, just having a crowbar, bolt cutters and a police scanner in your possession is enough to do it state side.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

B.H. Facials posted:

https://youtu.be/VH7ekPB68OM
It looks like they might be. I know Medeco and Abloy have been considered unpickable locks for years but there have been ways to defeat them under special circumstances. There are Abloy picks but I don't think the average joe can purchase them without being a certified locksmith. Granted, I haven't really looked because I've never seen an Abloy lock in the wild. "Locksport" is a fun hobby people should check out. It definitely opened my eyes as to how vulnerable the locks we rely on in our daily lives truly are.

Not really a purchase but if anyone has a link to a video of someone picking an Abloy they don't know* I'd like to see that.

*) Obviously you can never be sure about that but all the videos I've seen are just too suspicious.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Interestingly enough picks are mostly legal, though as stated carrying them around leaves you open for questioning.

Obviously don't use this site as your only guide, but here's an example of the laws across the US.

I used to use a Master lock with some carbide alloy hasp, second strongest crystalline metal known, but I was locking it to a hasp made of folded over 18 gauge sheet metal that three strokes with a hacksaw would defeat. When I discovered I could rake it open in less than five seconds I just stopped using the lock altogether. It really is depressing how easily some locks can be defeated, and helps you learn how to appreciate a good lock, even though most typical criminals aren't picking locks.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

peanut- posted:

Some books I can ignore in favour of playing prettier video games.

I'm going to forewarn you, City on Fire is probably the biggest letdown that I've read this year. I had high hopes for it mainly because of the fact that it had great hype around it, but it was a very big letdown and took me forever to get through it (213 days to exact). It's confusing as hell and just slightly too long. You could cut it it half and it would have been a better story.

Anyway, I'm having a book filled week here. Powell's out in Portland is have a friends and family sale (30% off!) that ends tonight, so I figured that I'd get three books that are going to be my last for the year (I have Springsteen's auto, Anna Kendrick's autobio, and three of the best American series on order at Amazon).

How to Party with an Infant by Kaui Hart Hemmings

Atlas Obscura

TV the book by Alan Sepinwell and Matt Zoller Seitz

On Sunday I was at the Brookly Book Festival all day and grabbed these

Networks of New York by Ingrid Burrington

The New York Nobody Knows by William B. Helmreich

Three City Noir books by various

Where Did You Sleep Last Night by Lynn Crosbie

The Hopeful by Tracy O'Neil

Brooklyn by Colm Toibin

Emotional Rescue by Ben Greenman

On Celestial Music by Rick Moody

I'm also heading to a an event that's being done through my local Surfrider chapter tomorrow and I will be getting this signed.

Barbarian Days by William Finnegan

I'm also heading here on Saturday:

The Feast of San Gennaro for those who don't know. It's now a tourist trap, but it will be fun anyway and I will be stopping at the Union Square Green Market on the way back.

screenwritersblues has a new favorite as of 22:04 on Sep 21, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

KingColliwog posted:

In Florida, lockpicks are legal and can only be confiscated or used as probable cause for arrest if you're engaging in activity that would make them suspicious (like wandering around someone's house at night). I've taken to carrying a two-piece Bogota lockpick set in my wallet just in case I need them.

I almost did once! An interactive theatre/roleplay thing in Orlando has a padlocked cabinet and they lost the key, preventing a group of players from getting documents needed in there and thus affecting the game progression. I offered to open it if necessary.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Hrvstmn31 posted:

One of these I've been waiting for a month and a half for these at our Walmart. They have tumblers out the rear end, but these had only been delivered one other time since they've been sold. Also if you get one of these get some epoxy or something because the metal ring on top comes off the plastic pretty easily.

I've been meaning to pick one of these up, my dad just bought one and has been raving about it.

I bought a plane ticket to Seattle and back in December for my wife's company Christmas party.

Oh and hockey tickets for March to see the Red Wings when they come to town

big mean giraffe has a new favorite as of 23:24 on Sep 21, 2016

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

big mean giraffe posted:

I bought a plane ticket to Seattle and back in December for my wife's company Christmas party.

Looking forward to Die Hard: In The Space Needle.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Hrvstmn31 posted:

One of these I've been waiting for a month and a half for these at our Walmart. They have tumblers out the rear end, but these had only been delivered one other time since they've been sold. Also if you get one of these get some epoxy or something because the metal ring on top comes off the plastic pretty easily.

I got my dad a cheaper Thermos brand one of these can coolers and now I feel like a cheapskate but there's no way I'm spending money on Yeti. They're just gouging the gently caress out of people I don't care how long it keeps your drink cold. People are getting got by them.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

colas posted:

I got my dad a cheaper Thermos brand one of these can coolers and now I feel like a cheapskate but there's no way I'm spending money on Yeti. They're just gouging the gently caress out of people I don't care how long it keeps your drink cold. People are getting got by them.

The one he posted is Ozark Trail, which is from Walmart for $7.95 and pretty much identical to a Yeti.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Rubiks Pubes posted:

The one he posted is Ozark Trail, which is from Walmart for $7.95 and pretty much identical to a Yeti.

Yeah I heard that about Ozark. I'll probably grab a couple.The Thermos one isn't bad, the brand just doesn't have to cachet that Yeti currently holds.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

colas posted:

Yeah I heard that about Ozark. I'll probably grab a couple.The Thermos one isn't bad, the brand just doesn't have to cachet that Yeti currently holds.

I have both sizes of tumbler, the can one and one of the hard coolers (52 quart). They are legit. I have a yeti cup that I got as a gift and the Ozark one is the exact same thing, just a different logo. Won't buy anything yeti for myself again.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yeah, you have to think that the factory in China, how many would make a double walled vacuum sealed cup with the identical dimensions?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

New boots

Dr. Martens

49" LG TV

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
How slow are people drinking beers these days that a little foam coosey isn't adequate insulation?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

bongwizzard posted:

How slow are people drinking beers these days that a little foam coosey isn't adequate insulation?

I didn't notice that was a weird can holder, I thought it was one of their regular liquid holders. I don't really get the need to keep your can cold that long either, it'll go flat long before that.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
It's a fashion accessory at this point.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I bought a coloring book few days ago

https://www.amazon.com/Doodle-Invasion-Zifflins-Coloring-Book/dp/1492977055
Already colored one of the pics
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/jg20dyntv96v5y5/2016-09-19%2021.21.13.jpg

Sininu has a new favorite as of 15:11 on Sep 22, 2016

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I have both sizes of tumbler, the can one and one of the hard coolers (52 quart). They are legit. I have a yeti cup that I got as a gift and the Ozark one is the exact same thing, just a different logo. Won't buy anything yeti for myself again.

I have a yeti can cooler (that I got as a gift because that price....) and I haven't had to gently caress around with epoxy because the lid isn't coming apart like the goon that posted this. So I guess that's a difference in favor of yeti.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Are you 6?

mystes
May 31, 2006

More like 6 months behind the adult coloring book fad.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

My new coozies are best coozies.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

black.lion posted:

But we'll have a decent chance of retiring at some point so, one day... one day we can enjoy our stuff! What's the focus of your PhD? What's Weber on about? Heard him referred to reading other Frankfurt School peeps, maybe I'll check him out sometime after I read 200 pages of textbooks :suicide::respek::suicide:

Max Weber is one of founders of modern sociology and organisational studies, and if you are doing accounting research from a critical perspective (it's mainly a non-US thing, FWIW), your research will likely actually be sociology or organisational studies, but with a focus on issues in accounting. So it's just part of my coursework at the moment, something I have to read. My own research is still in early days, but it's in financial literacy and the role of financial information in society.

Autumn and rain is coming so I bought some metal mudguards for the bike:

And some new 700x38 tyres:

Shanghaied has a new favorite as of 02:42 on Sep 23, 2016

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Are those carbon? The texture looks weird.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

TotalLossBrain posted:

Are those carbon? The texture looks weird.

Nah, I'm not one of those carbon-everything people. It's hammered aluminium.

Berated Tham
May 6, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nostalgic feelings compelled me to place an online order for the Knowledge Adventure Random House Kids Encyclopedia software from 1996. An image of the two Kids Encyclopedia discs has been attached to this post. Here is a nice little article that I found about it from the Jakarta Post: http://jawawa.id/index.php/newsitem/the-kids-encyclopedia-adds-fun-to-learning-1447893297

I remember I played the Zoomscape game from the "games" disc a lot when I was a kid. I think I really liked the music from that Zoomscape game, but I don't really remember it and I can't seem to find any footage of it on the internet.

Thanks for reading this post! Maybe other people who browse this thread also have nostalgic feelings about this 1990s educational software.

Now I feel kinda tempted to place an online order for the spookyass Jumpstart 4th Grade game, but I think I would be better off refraining from doing that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Shanghaied posted:

Autumn and rain is coming so I bought some metal mudguards for the bike:

Daaang, I'm really digging that hammered finish... That's really slick!

Bought a new headlamp because I'm sick of fiddling around with lovely low capacity rechargeable AAA's, or trying to scrounge new batteries before every backpacking trip

Plus I use my headlamp all the time for working on stuff, so I'm pretty excited :dance:

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

OSU_Matthew posted:

Daaang, I'm really digging that hammered finish... That's really slick!

Bought a new headlamp because I'm sick of fiddling around with lovely low capacity rechargeable AAA's, or trying to scrounge new batteries before every backpacking trip

Plus I use my headlamp all the time for working on stuff, so I'm pretty excited :dance:

Yeah, I picked the hammered finish because I think smooth finish look like poo poo after a few scratches. The Velo-Orange guards are pretty nice - more durable, stiffer than plastic, so less noise, and only marginally more expensive than plastic SKS ones.

Have to say, after owning two Black Diamond Storm headlamps, I can't ever imagine going back to handheld lights. It's just so nice to have your hands free, shine light on whatever you are looking at.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Uh. So what happened to the Product Recommendation thread?

I can't seem to find it, and I need a laptop bag.

TIA

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

HaB posted:

TIA

Targus, pick one that fits a size bigger than you own and has more pockets than you think you want. Done.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

HaB posted:

TIA

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3684302

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

ChocNitty posted:

New boots

Dr. Martens

I like these. What model are they?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
They'd be better with red laces

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

PCOS Bill posted:

They'd be better with red laces

Would that be the time-attack version?

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Coredump posted:

Would that be the time-attack version?

No, that would be the skinhead version.

http://www.adl.org/combating-hate/hate-on-display/c/boots-and-laces.html?referrer=https://www.google.ca/#.V-VvTJMrLdQ

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Oof, good to know. There's a pretty good chance I've worn those colors and/or straight-laced my boots without knowing the connotation.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Dogbrisket posted:

I like these. What model are they?

Roseland. The bad news is they're made in china now, and only their special vintage models, or whatever they call them, are still made in England. Good news is the quality is still good and they were only $50 at Ross.

Never had Doc Martens, and now I know why they call them bouncing soles. Its comfortable enough to run a marathon in, makes you stand taller, and they make less sound than my nikes.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Got some Christmas gifts

Slightly not safe for work
http://i.imgur.com/Hm7quGl.jpg

This one doesn't really count but whatever

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

drat I was doing my best to make a car joke out of that as black wheels with a red stripe on the rim were called Time Attack style wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I'll take eight! :zoid: