Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Geostomp posted:

This much concentrated 90's can do permanent damage to your retinas.

They were also very silly and not really concerned about the plot blowing up the world, which is a bonus.

Unleashed probably had the best 'story' I've seen for Sonic, where it wasn't that serious despite being a serious 'thing'. Like yeah the worlds blown up and we gotta fix it but ya know, in a chill way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Onmi posted:

Unleashed probably had the best 'story' I've seen for Sonic, where it wasn't that serious despite being a serious 'thing'. Like yeah the worlds blown up and we gotta fix it but ya know, in a chill way.

Sonic's first reaction to learning that Eggman blew up the world, awoke a primal horror, and is now forced to painfully transform twice a day was "Sounds like a great excuse to see the world!!" That is the way he absolutely should be.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Xad posted:

I think people have said before that the reason for this is probably that a smaller dev team, like the one working on Mania, might not get the NX so far in advance, while Sonic Team probably does. So it'll probably come out for the NX, but maybe not at launch.

The engine they use for Mania and the remasters is basically a monolithic C++ black box using no more than standard libraries compiled for insert target platform here that you can hook platform-specific i/o interfaces to. The rendering engine is all done in software and CPU rather than hardware-specific. As a result, porting to different platforms is a piece of piss. That was part of the pitch of the engine for remasters - they can just keep porting Sonic forever easily.

It'd probably be easy to get it up for the NX at the same time, it's probably just Nintendo was still playing silly buggers with secrecy at announcement time, and negotiating a contract with three external studios for a port would've been annoying as hell. Speculation, but technically there's no reason it'd be difficult to launch with it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 20, 2016

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

miyamoto hates sonic, it is known

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
https://twitter.com/pkollar/status/193046592511680513

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Sonic Jam Easy Mode deserves a much more dignified post than that.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

It has just dawned on me that I do not Sonic X's main theme, Gotta Go Fast, added to my running playlist. I have failed myself, all my Sonic friends and brought great shame to this thread.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

beep by grandpa posted:

It has just dawned on me that I do not Sonic X's main theme, Gotta Go Fast, added to my running playlist. I have failed myself, all my Sonic friends and brought great shame to this thread.

There's no shame in admitting that Sonic has more great songs than a single run could handle.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
For any of you cool dudes that remember that old Sonic 2 commercial there's a new ad for the Collector's edition of Sonic Mania!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtqgkPCEIP8

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/778303430230102016

:allears:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Xad posted:

For any of you cool dudes that remember that old Sonic 2 commercial there's a new ad for the Collector's edition of Sonic Mania!

This is amazing

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Is that Webber proposing in the ad?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

how come we haven't seen any of the other levels in the promo material

they did make other levels right....

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Holy moly that statue is as big as an actual OG sega Genesis!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It impresses me even the dumb youtube comments on that video are good

Stairmaster posted:

Is the cityscape background with the windmills Studiopolis still? I feel like yes but the way the backgrounds change gives me the impression the levels are all huge.

I kinda feel like they're going to show more as the game gets closer to done to build hype. It is 6-8 months off after all

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 20, 2016

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Xad posted:

why does anyone hate sonic

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

sharrrk posted:

Cause bad games and creepy fans. Thankfully this looks like a good game.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Spergatory posted:

Is that Webber proposing in the ad?

Congrats on your engagement, Twitter Sonic

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

sharrrk posted:

loving furries. :argh:

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Xad posted:

I don't know whether I love it or hate it for making a reference to the "home alone on a friday night" meme.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Xad posted:

I like how Sonic is squished against the right side of the screen as a result of them cutting off the edges to make it 4:3

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Mikedawson posted:

I don't know whether I love it or hate it for making a reference to the "home alone on a friday night" meme.

I love it exactly for that :allears:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

you dont have to watch this whole video but sonic's line for meeting lumpy space princess at this timestamp is really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4nBI37KHQg&t=253s

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Kelp Plankton posted:

you dont have to watch this whole video but sonic's line for meeting lumpy space princess at this timestamp is really good

ahahahahaa, oh man, that's fantastic. Sorry Sonic, we all remember.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

From the latest Sonic comic.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Onmi posted:

Perfect.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Onmi posted:

The "I found you, faker" at the top is even in SA2 font. :perfect:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Onmi posted:

Now the question is, are they taking a piss out of Shadow, or is it actually Scourge?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

This has been a very good page of the Sonic Mania thread. Thanks all. :)

Kelp Plankton posted:

Of course he can't remember, the story retconned itself! :haw:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kikas posted:

Now the question is, are they taking a piss out of Shadow, or is it actually Scourge?

Scourge used to be called Evil Sonic and wore the exact same outfit so my guess is that I love the writers of the new Sonic comics

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Augus posted:

Scourge used to be called Evil Sonic and wore the exact same outfit so my guess is that I love the writers of the new Sonic comics

Ian is still the writer and has been from... I think 160. beyond a few moments where he'll rely on fan meme's that aren't really funny (stuff like Green Biker Dude in the Megaman comic.) He's a fairly good writer though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
He was also the one responsible for making the "evil sonic from another universe" character kinda interesting before the mega reboot.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

He was also the one responsible for making the "evil sonic from another universe" character kinda interesting before the mega reboot.

I remember that. It got daaarrrk.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Shinjobi posted:

And now he can't even use him anymore thanks to Ken Penders.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Ian Flynn is the only person who should be allowed to write Sonic. It's a crime on the part of Sonic Team that he isn't their hear writer and they got the Happy Tree Friends dudes who don't even care about the franchise instead. Ian Flynn is the Carl Banks of Sonic the Hedgehog.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tyson Hesse is good too.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

Tyson Hesse is good too.

Tyson Hesse is a great artist and probably one of the best the Sonic Comic has ever had. He just gets the characters expressions and designs down so well

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Onmi posted:

Phenomenal.

Stairmaster posted:

they did make other levels right....

Nope, it turns out the entire game is just 10 hours of Studiopolis. It's the longest Sonic stage ever.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Eggmanland still has it beat tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Friends who are also Steam users; how can we convince Sega to get Sonic Generations and/or Sonic Mania cards?

Cards mean badges and badges mean emotes or backgrounds, both of which those games would benefit us to have. I really want a 16-bit chili dog emote.