Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

For Fichard and Mary Parker it was stupid. And then only in trying to drag it into storylines when it would've been fine as just a detail of their past and left alone with their death. For Jefferson Davis it's a cool bit of backstory for a person that is alive and well and adds an extra layer to his character and the uncomfortableness he has with his past and how it could play into his son's future. The two situations aren't really that similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah it honestly made more sense for the Parkers as they were dead so it wouldn't interfere with the group dynamic at all. Unless they tie their deaths directly to it, which they did, but other than that it is fine. Adding it to a living relative is the worst way to play the idea. It complicates a backstory that does not need it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-O posted:

Everyone knew the Ultimate Universe was done for by that point even if it carried on for a while longer.

For a handful of months it was "Huh. It's not ending at Cataclysm? Lets see about this new revitalized Michel Fiffe led Ultimate Universe!"

I made a thread about that bright future :D

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

X-O posted:

For Fichard and Mary Parker it was stupid. And then only in trying to drag it into storylines when it would've been fine as just a detail of their past and left alone with their death. For Jefferson Davis it's a cool bit of backstory for a person that is alive and well and adds an extra layer to his character and the uncomfortableness he has with his past and how it could play into his son's future. The two situations aren't really that similar.

Given the right writer, Peter's parents being SHIELD agents could have been great. SHIELD agent turned civilian sounds interesting, so I'm willing to see where this goes. Spider-Man has been good so far.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's not complicating his backstory, it's the only backstory we have for him and explains why he didn't want anything to do with super heroes. I'm surprised anyone is upset about miles' dad's backstory honestly

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He shouldn't have one God dam it, not all characters need an overly complicated backstory.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's not very complicated, he was a shield agent the end

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Then it's not worth doing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that doesn't even make any sense, I don't think you've put much thought into why you don't like this

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It's either over complicates his history or its so inconsequential it doesn't matter, this isn't hard. It's a no win situation.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
So... Vision this month was just kind of amazing, on one hand I'll be sad when it ends but I think there's really no way they could keep going in a sensible fashion.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it didn't overcomplicate anything because it was simple. he had a job with shield and then quit later. having a job and quitting is a thing people do, it's not hard to understand and he makes it clear why he was with them and why he stopped. it's easy to follow. it wasn't inconsequential because it explains the way he'd been acting and informs his character. they were leading in to something with him for a while, it wasn't out of nowhere

like if you don't like the way it was written then whatever, but I don't get how that makes it objectively bad. just having been a part of shield for a while doesn't hurt the character in some way and it's not like they bolted it on to him later, it was clearly something they had been planning on and was the fist thing they showed of his backstory

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

How can you have any fun with superhero comics if you can't enjoy convoluted histories.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't read the comics in question, but do they talk about the oddness (?) of an African-American man having the same name as the President of the Confederate States of America?

(At least, I assume it's odd - I'm not American but it seems like something that would be odd.)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Civil War 2 continues the downward spiral into horribleness that keeps riding entirely on some gorgeous art

EDIT: On the flip side, Jesus loving Christ Vision is amazing.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 21, 2016

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Dare I ask what happened

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
My real only problem with redoing Miles' dad's backstory is that it's already been done. I don't see any real point in redoing it in the 616. Like, now the only big missing point would be that his brother is might be missing from the story (since he was Ultimate Prowler and the new universe hates redundancy) or he'll be recruited to SHIELD by Maria Hill or a white Nick Fury instead of trenchcoat wearing Ultimate Fury. Other than that, what really needs to change about "SHIELD recruited me to be an informant on Kingpin" from Ultimate to 616?

Apparently enough to redo it, and jokes aside, this is Bendis, so it's gonna take months of no actual Spider-Man-ing to tell.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pureauthor posted:

Dare I ask what happened

Vision: You know how sometimes in a story the protagonist and his family faces a hardship and they have to work together to overcome it, bringing the family closer and stronger and better? Now picture the complete loving opposite.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Aw man, Vision. So good.

I felt like screenshotting every spread, it looked even more amazing than usual. Especially *that* scream page, holy crap.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
So I guess Ulysses sees Miles kill Captain America next. . Maybe Ulysses needs to start having positive visions or something

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Wow, I think CWII #5 has an all-time bottom-ten Kitty Pryde outfit. That takes some doing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Wow, I think CWII #5 has an all-time bottom-ten Kitty Pryde outfit. That takes some doing.

Jesus, I almost want to buy it to see that. A bottom-ten Kitty Pryde outfit is a serious accusation.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It's real bad, but the most hilarious thing is that it's not drawn consistently between CW2 #5 and GotG #12, which are taking place mostly simultaneously.

Civil War

Guardians

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

howe_sam posted:

It's real bad, but the most hilarious thing is that it's not drawn consistently between CW2 #5 and GotG #12, which are taking place mostly simultaneously.

Civil War

Guardians

I'm the vision's pained expression.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Complaining about Kitty's outfits is totally missing the point of them and her character.

She is terrible at them.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Yeah in the Claremontfest I've been on she at one point is given a costume maker for some reason by the Shi'Ar who are holding her captive. She is using the machine to somehow hack the ship but also she is putting on awful costume after awful costume and Nightcrawler in the background is just :gonk: over how terrible her choices are.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is the ship trying to commit suicide?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: Didn't that dad stuff happen before Cataclysm? There was still another year of All-New Ultimates.

Miles Morales, Ultimate Spider-Man is the final set of USM comics before Ultimate End, and iirc the only currently-running Ultimate comic at the time at the end there. AN Ultimates and MMUSM ran concurrently but I think ANU started a little bit before MMUSM and thus ended earlier (they both ran for 12 issues). The secret origins of Jefferson Davis issues ran after Cataclysm (they had to, because Miles reveals his secret identity to his dad during Cataclysm, his dad literally runs away, and Jefferson Davis comes back to apologize to Miles/tell him his life story during MMUSM). The secret origins issues ran during MMUSM issues 8-9.

So yeah, it was like literally three months before the end of the 1610 when Bendis decided to bust out that story.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I just read through Jack Kirby's Devil Dinosaur and it was amazing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

So yeah, it was like literally three months before the end of the 1610 when Bendis decided to bust out that story.

I doubt too many people would've dropped off of the characters between then and now, so I don't see developing the dad that late in the series to be any great problem (assuming the character development more or less carries over.)
Again, ending on the Hydra/Doom stuff felt far more worthless to me. Maybe it was just how inconsequential seeing the other world in the sky seemed for the end. Like, contrasted with any of the main universe final days storylines.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 21, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

Aw man, Vision. So good.

I felt like screenshotting every spread, it looked even more amazing than usual. Especially *that* scream page, holy crap.

Hey she's not stuttering anymore. :3:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh, definitely, the HYDRA Doom story was dumb as hell. As I mentioned when I read it for the first time, the problem is that it rides that super unsatisfying line between "a massive story that really goes for it because gently caress it, the universe is ending so let's have everyone face off against Ultimate Thanos or something and have a billion casualities because who the gently caress cares, it's all getting mothballed" and "small-scale story that tries to be a narrative counterpoint to how USM began where Miles takes down a bandit or the Shocker again or something and be a big mood/character piece because this whole universe is getting mothballed so why tell a massive huge story?"

So it tries to be both and feels totally pointless and ineffective. It's big, but not big enough, so just feels like this massive waste of time, and as you mentioned it doesn't even have the feeling of "poo poo we just went through a road of trials at least things can't get any worse" *SMASH CUT TO EARTH-616 HANGING OVERHEAD* because it doesn't feel effectively threatening in scope or impact.

All I'm saying is that if Bendis wanted to tell the Jefferson Davis backstory he should've picked a better time than literally three months before it was all getting invalidated anyways. It also inhabits a weird canon because Jefferson Davis isn't explicitly an ex-criminal in the 616, so it's unclear whether or not the backstory made the jump as well. Considering Miles' mom got revived, I'm gonna guess some or all of it has been retconned, where instead of being a SHIELD agent posing as an ex-con, he'll just be a straight up-and-down former SHIELD agent - especially since it looks like his brother didn't come to the 616 either.

To be honest I'd rather the last five issues of Bendis' USM run had been an ill-disguised All-New Ultimates storyline, considering that 1) the All-New Ultimates we got was fuckin' garbo and 2) they were basically all Bendis characters anyways and I'd have really liked to have seen what Bendis could have done with that specific team, considering how much time he had spent making each one into great characters.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Roth posted:

I just read through Jack Kirby's Devil Dinosaur and it was amazing.

read his eternals. what a trip they are.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mr Hootington posted:

read his eternals. what a trip they are.

I will after I read Brian K. Vaughn's Runaways.

The Runaways series after this one are supposed to be not good, right?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Going through the good art/bad art thread, oh drat there's some good art in here, oh wow okay that ones kinda bad

Xmen phoenix legacy of fire posts

Oh okay actually i think im good on this for now... :(

Why did editors look at this pitch and think hmm yes we should sell this

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

People are split over Whedon's run, so you can read that if you really really want to. I didn't and I loved BKV's Runaways, for what it's worth.

Definitely read the Civil War YA/Runaways mini (it's great and works as a great sequel to both runs), the Avengers Academy arc with the Runaways as an extended cameo (I mean, just, read Avengers Academy in general but at least read that specific arc within it, since it's basically a long-need coda to a couple of ideas that BKV never addressed), and everyone I've talked to says that the Runaways mini during SW 2015 is great (but very different to what came before).

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Roth posted:

I will after I read Brian K. Vaughn's Runaways.

The Runaways series after this one are supposed to be not good, right?

This is what people say, but you have them available so why not?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

One of the Runaways got their resolution today. :)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SynthOrange posted:

One of the Runaways got their resolution today. :)

Man, did they have to throw in 'oh BTW he's a Vibranium junkie' before killing him, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Man, did they have to throw in 'oh BTW he's a Vibranium junkie' before killing him, though?

That was the thing that lead to his fate

• Locked thread