Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Senerio posted:

We can only hope.

I'm hype for Mega Charizard Sun and Mega Charizard Moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
mega greninja

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Mega Ash Greninja

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ah.... i see it. mega greninja. i see it. it gets prankster. also it's ash-greninja

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Junpei Hyde posted:

Mega Ash Greninja

Mega-Good-Boy-Frog-Friend-Greninja

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
mega greninja gets a new ability which uses Tailwind every time it switches in, and also it keeps Protean

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i imagine any pokemon who has a mega evolution won't also get an alola form or a unique z-move

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
there haven't been any non-gen 1 Alola Forms, right? i wonder if that's just how it is or if that's just what they've decided to show off.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Today I learned that Roar bypasses Protect.
:(

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Countblanc posted:

there haven't been any non-gen 1 Alola Forms, right? i wonder if that's just how it is or if that's just what they've decided to show off.

I want to think some Gen 2 'mons will get in on that action, but it's likely just Gen I for nostalgia because 20th anniversary and also to tie-in with the VC release of Gen I. They made a pretty big deal about sending your Gen I pokemon into Pokebank for Gen 7 so it feels right to just go "if you wanna get your regular marowak then play the first games and transfer him! 9.99!"

Talking out of my rear end for a sec: version exclusive starter evos? what we've seen in leaks are only the Moon versions since they mentioned werewolf evolution for Rockruff?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I want to think some Gen 2 'mons will get in on that action, but it's likely just Gen I for nostalgia because 20th anniversary and also to tie-in with the VC release of Gen I. They made a pretty big deal about sending your Gen I pokemon into Pokebank for Gen 7 so it feels right to just go "if you wanna get your regular marowak then play the first games and transfer him! 9.99!"

Talking out of my rear end for a sec: version exclusive starter evos? what we've seen in leaks are only the Moon versions since they mentioned werewolf evolution for Rockruff?

It's not really out of your rear end, don't worry. It's a pretty common theory.

Mostly from people who despise the leaked evolutions.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

What the gently caress are they going to do in future gens for Rockruff evolutions?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I could never despise anything that my beautiful friend Popplio could become

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sockser posted:

What the gently caress are they going to do in future gens for Rockruff evolutions?

Same thing they do for Deoxys, have a stone that lets you pick the form? Maybe have it determined by PV like Silcoon/Cascoon? Make it a night/day evo?

Lots of options here

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Supremezero posted:

It's not really out of your rear end, don't worry. It's a pretty common theory.

Mostly from people who despise the leaked evolutions.

Alrighty then.

I love the ones we've seen so if the theory is right then i'll be even more happy with my decision to pick Moon. Can't wait to wreck things with my heel wrestling fire cat

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Probably a Night/Day Evolution, they did handwave that the cover legendaries affect what Rockruff evolves into.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Sockser posted:

They might have it evolve into one of the forms by default and the other form is accessible by a special method.

Or they could have each form for each version of later games.

Countblanc posted:

I'm leaning towards that Gen 1 Pokémon will be the only ones to get Alolan forms. With Mega Evolutions, they introduced a variety of Pokémon from the first four generations.

I think the main reason why they've introduced Alolan forms is to

A) Diversify the types of Gen 1 Pokémon. Notice that most of the new type combos all have types that are either rare (Like Ice, Ghost, Dragon, Steel and Fairy) or non-existent (Dark) in Gen 1.

B) Give the spotlight to Pokémon that have been around for literally years without a major upgrade or continually shafted by marketing.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 21, 2016

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Sockser posted:

there will always be two versions

the better question is what will they do in any 3 version generations

Zuzie posted:

I'm leaning towards that Gen 1 Pokémon will be the only ones to get Alolan forms. With Mega Evolutions, they introduced a variety of Pokémon from the first four generations.

I think the main reason why they've introduced Alolan forms is to

A) Diversify the types of Gen 1 Pokémon. Notice that most of the new type combos all have types that are either rare (Like Ice, Ghost, Dragon and Fairy) or non-existent (Steel and Dark).

B) Give the spotlight to Pokémon that have been around for literally years without a major upgrade or continually shafted by marketing.

C) sell more copies of the Virtual Console releases of Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow where you can capture the original forms and transfer them to sun/moon

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Countblanc posted:

How would people feel if Alola Forms were only gen 1?

Also how many Alola forms have been revealed so far?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The Alolan forms will only be for Gen 1 Pokemon, and the next generation will get forms exclusively for Gen 2 Pokemon alongside the Virtual Console release of Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal

the remake cycle is forever broken, they are free of the curse of remaking really old stuff, thank you virtual console and pokemon bank

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'd be disappointed but I sorta expect it at this point

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Electric Phantasm posted:

How would people feel if Alola Forms were only gen 1?

Also how many Alola forms have been revealed so far?

It seems pretty likely tbh.

So far we have 10 completely confirmed (Sandshrew, Sandslash, Vulpix, Ninetales, Eggecutor, Rattata, Raticate, Marowack, Raichu, Meowth) with Persian implied by Meowth for 11.

We also know Eggescute, Pikachu and Cubone do not have Alola forms. We also know Dragonite, Starmie, Arcanine, Snorlax, and Eevee don't.

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 21, 2016

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

There's the possibly that future regions can have their own regional variants. Although right now, it's in the same situation as Mega Evolutions for gens past gen 4. Balancing the power creep is a difficult task.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I believe that there will be new forms for at least one pokemon not introduced in gen 1.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

I believe that there will be new forms for at least one pokemon not introduced in gen 1.

Like how Gen V got the pity Audino-Mega?:shepface:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The Sinnoh remakes will have Sinnoh forms for pokemon not in the original Sinnoh regional pokedex

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Kelp Plankton posted:

The Alolan forms will only be for Gen 1 Pokemon, and the next generation will get forms exclusively for Gen 2 Pokemon alongside the Virtual Console release of Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal

the remake cycle is forever broken, they are free of the curse of remaking really old stuff, thank you virtual console and pokemon bank

The next obvious step now that they've remade every game that needed it, is to kinda pull a B2/W2, and do sequels set in the same region with new plot, some new characters, and expanded regional dexes.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

The Sinnoh remakes will have Sinnoh forms for pokemon not in the original Sinnoh regional pokedex

This would be a good way to improve the poor type diversity of the region.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

This would be a good way to improve the poor type diversity of the region.

Just give them the Platinum dex from the start.

That's still basically the best regional dex in existence. You just need to also add Murkrow to the early forest with Misdreavus and it'd be perfect.

:sigh:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I am disappointed that megas are still in the game.

Hopefully, I can keep ignoring them.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

with a powerful enough imagination you can ignore any number of insanely good designs

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I hope they retcon mega garchomp to have the same speed as regular garchomp (take the points out of SpA to keep the same BST)

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i think having every mega add 100 to their bst was a mistake. idk why they felt the need to stick to that rule

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

cheetah7071 posted:

I hope they retcon mega garchomp to have the same speed as regular garchomp (take the points out of SpA to keep the same BST)

Nah, M-Garchomp being slow is what kept him from being a pain in the rear end to deal with. He's already an rear end in a top hat for being 102 speed in the 100 speed tier.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

oddium posted:

mega farfetch'd is steel/flying, he's got a cute little kabuto helmet and a very sharp but still clearly leek leek

No one deserves a mega more. He has been l i t e r a l l y a joke for 7 gens now.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mega garchomp is probably one of the best megas, both for looking cool and for changing up how it can be used without becoming completely busted

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i say this as someone who doesnt play competitive pokemon at all so maybe i'm completely wrong on that second part

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Space T Rex posted:

No one deserves a mega more. He has been l i t e r a l l y a joke for 7 gens now.

Alolan Farfetch'd will be exactly the same as regular Farfetch'd, but will carry a different vegetable.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zuzie posted:

There's the possibly that future regions can have their own regional variants. Although right now, it's in the same situation as Mega Evolutions for gens past gen 4. Balancing the power creep is a difficult task.

They haven't said much of anything about the stats of the Alola variants, so I would assume they have the same totals, but re-arranged. That way they might be more optimized for specific roles than the old ones, but not quite so blatantly superior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

sharrrk posted:

mega garchomp is probably one of the best megas, both for looking cool and for changing up how it can be used without becoming completely busted

Actually mega garchomp looks real bad, I just like garchomp and want it to have 50 viable sets instead of 49