Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Thank Goodness Nick is an Adventure Game Protagonist, and thus prone to stuffing tons of random items down his pants to rub on things at opportune times. That metal detector sure came in handy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah, this. They do acknowledge them sometimes though. In a couple of the games there's a few lines about how somebody is offscreen somewhere heading up the prosecution against the criminals you uncover during your defense trials.

I like to imagine that this is how Winston Payne makes his career as a prosecutor. :allears:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Night10194 posted:

Thank Goodness Nick is an Adventure Game Protagonist, and thus prone to stuffing tons of random items down his pants to rub on things at opportune times. That metal detector sure came in handy!

Nobody really knows what the Court Record is or how it exists. It honestly almost feels less like an inventory and more like the poo poo in Homestuck that COULD be an inventory if it was dramatically convenient but is really just a giant goddamn headache for everyone involved.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

As a note, the 3DS (and iOS) Trilogy went back and edited the script for Justice for All to account for Rise from the Ashes.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
We have hit the halfway point of the anime in terms of gameplay now. The first 12 episodes are all the first game's cases. There is no Rise from the Ashes in the anime.

I do wonder what the script changes are in the 3DS/iOS trilogy are that take into account Rise from the Ashes.

Case 4 is the best of this game. 5 was a bit of a nice bonus to show off some features that the GBA games could not possibly handle.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
In the anime, Maya's just been carting the metal detector around on her back the entire time. She even has it in court.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
I'm more baffled by Phoenix still carrying the bullet around. Surely that would have been returned to the evidence locker or handed off to the prosecutor of von Karma's trial?

Rise from the Ashes is pretty great. The conclusion to the first day of the trial is one of my favorite moments in the series.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The first day of Rise from the Ashes was really slow (I just really didn't like Angel as a character or witness), but it picks up so dramatically after that that it's one of the best cases in the series for me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

We're getting a bit ahead of ourselves here. The case hasn't even started yet.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
von Karma's breakdown is an absolute joy to watch. The better thing is his headslams also share the same sound effect of Nick and Edgey slamming their desks. It's a crime that the anime removed it.

Also, two typos.

Mors Rattus posted:

: This was taken fro mthe heart of the victim, Mr. Gregory Edgeworth.

: I'm sorry, but you will have to be penalized. I've covered for oyu in the past, but not this time.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...Will Powers, Pink Princess?

Good lord, how big is everybody else if they can give him the slightest girlish figure?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Dragonwagon posted:

I'm more baffled by Phoenix still carrying the bullet around. Surely that would have been returned to the evidence locker or handed off to the prosecutor of von Karma's trial?

Rise from the Ashes is pretty great. The conclusion to the first day of the trial is one of my favorite moments in the series.

Like you'd trust anyone in the prosecutorial office with prosecuting von Karma though?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'd trust Edgeworth. Knowing Japanifornia there's probably no rules against that sort of conflict of interest, either.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mzbundifund posted:

I'd trust Edgeworth. Knowing Japanifornia there's probably no rules against that sort of conflict of interest, either.

"Conflict of interest" is a heretical concept in Japanifornia, as we'll see further along in the series.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Dragonwagon posted:

Like Katarani said, what the Court Record actually is depends entirely on what's narratively convenient. Sometimes it's a straight-up inventory system and Phoenix is producing the most improbable items from unknowable recesses of his pants. Sometimes it's implied that it's just an actual, literal court record, and he's showing people photos of things relevant to the case to ask about them. Sometimes it changes from one to the other in the middle of a conversation.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Case 5 is another of the best cases in the series - you guys are in for a treat. :)

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Some legal stuff of dubious value:

Actually convicting von Karma within the statute of limitation for this crime would be a little difficult, entirely depending on criminal procedure and contitutional/human rights legislation in Japanifornia, of course.

Firstly, it's a common rule of criminal procedure in many countries that the court itself may not prosecute a crime, but is dependent on a valid and true formal indicment of the suspected criminal - as a matter of procedure meant to safeguard the defendant's rights of discovery, contradiction and the necessary preparation of a defence. Without it, any conviction would be an automatic overturn in a court of appeals, as this is an absolute procedural necessity.

Secondly, the judge that heard the confession would not be able to preside over von Karma's criminal trial, as he would be biased.

In many countries, it is also not allowed for judges to be witnesses of their own court cases, for a bunch of reasons.

If the magic court record was to be used against von Karma, there's the question of how the court record is validated. In many countries, the presiding judge must validate the court record so that it can be used as admissable evidence in later cases (if that's even allowed, which in some countries/cases it might not be). This would take some time, and seeing as the court day must be nearing its end by the time Edgeworth is found innocent, there's not a lot of time left to the court to do very much of anything.

Finally, having less than a day to prepare a defence and then be submitted to a criminal trial is a violation of several international criminal procedure and law treaties, international human rights, etc. For instance, the International Covenant on Civil and Political rights, European Convention on Human Rights, or even the US Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Universal Declaration of Human Rights posted:

Article 11
1. Everyone charged with a penal offence has the right to be presumed innocent until proved guilty according to law in a public trial at which he has had all the guarantees necessary for his defense.

Which again would be sufficient cause for an overturn on appeal, even if von Karma were convicted in a same-day trial.

Same-day trials are bad, people. Nobody likes them, and they are easily overturned. Von Karma would probably walk.

Of course, this is Japanifornia, so who knows?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yeah, but you could get him on conspiracy to commit murder for the case that Edgeworth was accused of.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
There's peculiarities of the statute of limitations that are revealed in other games in the series that make prosecuting von Karma fairly straightforward. (Though they also pose a few contradictions)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Mors Rattus posted:

Next time: Rise From The Ashes

What a terrible night to have a curse.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Man, just as we were talking about how Manfred wasn't AS bad as he initially seemed :keke: ...

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 22, 2016

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Green Intern posted:

What a terrible night to have a curse.

They were going to have Edgeworth look something like that as well, and have an Evil Goatee!

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Nice piece of fish posted:

Same-day trials are bad, people. Nobody likes them, and they are easily overturned. Von Karma would probably walk.

Of course, this is Japanifornia, so who knows?

Isn't every trial in the entire franchise a same-day trial?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

CountryMatters posted:

Isn't every trial in the entire franchise a same-day trial?

no. most of them are next-day trials.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

SirSamVimes posted:

Yeah, but you could get him on conspiracy to commit murder for the case that Edgeworth was accused of.

Did he confess to that? Not that that's needed in Japanifornia, but still.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

It took me forever to work out the metal detector bit when I played this case - the last case is always the toughest and the craziest in this series, they're really good at ramping up the tension and difficulty.

And that final scene is so :3: Nick and Maya's relationship is the cutest.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
There it is - 1-4; my very favourite case of the entire series thus far... though all of the final cases have been memorable in their own ways. For whatever reason, the original Ace Attorney remains the one I'm fondest of. I think the trial music's the best, too. Anyway... I didn't like 1-5 nearly as much as 1-4, but maybe it more now that I'm watching a second time.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Nice piece of fish posted:

Did he confess to that? Not that that's needed in Japanifornia, but still.

They have the letter, and Yogi seems willing to talk.

1-4 is probably my favorite case too, maybe second after 3-5. Didn't really like 1-5 as much .

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

Staltran posted:

They have the letter, and Yogi seems willing to talk.

1-4 is probably my favorite case too, maybe second after 3-5. Didn't really like 1-5 as much .

I'm pretty sure Von Karma stole (and then destroyed) the letter when he tazed Pheonix. Otherwise we would have used it in the trial to immediately prove the old man was Yanni Yogi. And I'm pretty sure Yogi also said that he doesn't know who gave him the letter. Of course, with Von Karma's love of perfect trials, he'll probably confess to it anyway. Gotta get that guilty verdict!

Keltena
Feb 18, 2013

IAmTheRad posted:

I do wonder what the script changes are in the 3DS/iOS trilogy are that take into account Rise from the Ashes.

From what I've seen, basically just adjusting a few lines that explicitly rule out the possibility of Phoenix taking any cases between 1-4 and 2-1 to be more vague. It's still a bit of a stretch to fit 1-5 into the plot if you think about it, imo, but the writers did the best they could to make it fit, and it's a great case in its own right, especially considering how ambitious it is.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

dotchan posted:

They were going to have Edgeworth look something like that as well, and have an Evil Goatee!
Prototype Edgeworth is straight-up Prosecutor Evil.

He has a skull cane for gently caress's sake.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Keltena posted:

From what I've seen, basically just adjusting a few lines that explicitly rule out the possibility of Phoenix taking any cases between 1-4 and 2-1 to be more vague. It's still a bit of a stretch to fit 1-5 into the plot if you think about it, imo, but the writers did the best they could to make it fit, and it's a great case in its own right, especially considering how ambitious it is.

You mean 2-2. It takes place before 2-1.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
As mentioned, 1-5 was a bonus case added in the DS version of the game.

What's lesser known is that it was paid DLC for the WiiWare version of the trilogy.

Incidentally, it was only released after Trials and Tribulations came out on WiiWare, so there exists a brief window where those who got the series on Wii as it was released actually experienced the series in the same progression as the original Japanese GBA releases. So for people like me, Rise From The Ashes has always felt like a bonus case as opposed to a full member of the series.

Keltena
Feb 18, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You mean 2-2. It takes place before 2-1.

...whoops, yes. That. Stupid anachronic first cases I haven't played in years. At least it's not Investigations...

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Haifisch posted:

Prototype Edgeworth is straight-up Prosecutor Evil.

He has a skull cane for gently caress's sake.

Is the one on the far left supposed to be Phoenix? Really weird to see him wear Franziska's top.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Somehow appropriate, and somewhat of a spoiler for the last case.

Keltena
Feb 18, 2013

Dragonwagon posted:

Is the one on the far left supposed to be Phoenix? Really weird to see him wear Franziska's top.
Yep! I believe from left to right, those are the early prototypes for Phoenix, Edgeworth, Maya, Mia, and Gumshoe, respectively. It's interesting, but kind of surreal, to see design elements that ended up being used for different characters entirely.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Keltena posted:

Yep! I believe from left to right, those are the early prototypes for Phoenix, Edgeworth, Maya, Mia, and Gumshoe, respectively. It's interesting, but kind of surreal, to see design elements that ended up being used for different characters entirely.

Are you entirely sure you don't mean Gumshoe, before Mia? :raise:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

Are you entirely sure you don't mean Gumshoe, before Mia? :raise:

Nope! We don't! Keep in mind that they're the prototypes in role only, not character. I believe the Maya prototype was supposed to be a robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Additionally, the initial concept of the game involved a private investigator who got caught up in a murder and ended up having to defend himself in court, but it was eventually shifted to a lawyer story because the court stuff was too fun.

Working names for the game included:

Surviban
Attorney Brothers Three
Bingo-Bengo
Boogie-Woogie Innocence
Let's Raise Hamsters (one guy was really fighting for the game to be about hamsters)

• Locked thread