Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I lose every war I start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You need to attack from an advantage. Don't forget to have allies and also make sure your allies are tougher than theirs. Also try to goad the AI into attacking across a river or into mountains or something. Definitely never do that yourself. And always have a general, even if it's a lovely one.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

New Stellaris dev diary came out this morning with info about the next big update and also a Story Pack which looks like DLC https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-46-enclaves.969801/

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

good changes in the next ck2 patch https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-24-the-2-6-2-patch.970021/

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Absolutely no coincidence that as soon as Groogy got moved to CK2, every patch made it worse, and as soon as he left, every patch made it better

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Larry Parrish posted:

Absolutely no coincidence that as soon as Groogy got moved to CK2, every patch made it worse, and as soon as he left, every patch made it better

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Larry Parrish posted:

what's he infecting now

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Stelaris

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

nooo

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

wiz looks like he calls the shots for that, so i dont think groogy is going to have much say

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not very good at games like CK2 and EUIV, but I still try. I almost unified Ireland once in CK2. That is my map gaming thread contribution for the day.

Also what are the thoughts on HoI4? Yay or nay?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
i enjoyed it. it doesn't feel like it has as much depth/replayability as ck2 or eu4, air combat is bad, and the ai has a really hard time with some things (e.g. multiple widely separated fronts), but I'd say there's at least 40+ good hours to be had with it.

probably going to play another game with it in the next patch, maybe try a france game. (it's really designed for people to play the major powers; the minors are much more of an afterthought than in other games.)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
hoi4 is good but you'll only play it once. maybe twice if you wanna be allies and then axis or vice versa. it can be a sandbox but it's not very good at it

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Unfunny Poster posted:

I'm not very good at games like CK2 and EUIV, but I still try. I almost unified Ireland once in CK2. That is my map gaming thread contribution for the day.

Also what are the thoughts on HoI4? Yay or nay?

I once unified the British isles before my first ruler died, you little poo poo. Sit the gently caress down.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

It's cute when a little noob wanders into this thread after reading captain Andy's retarded ck2 guide all proud and full of unearned swag because they conquered Ulster one time. Go back to Games.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Hangs a sign on the door of the thread that says "No Noobs Allowed" before Larry Parrish sticks his head out the window and says "hyuk".

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

who is captain andy

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
noobs gotta start somewhere

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

who is captain andy

He copied Kerch's cool ck2 guide in a ck2 tutorial LP but loving sucked rear end at the game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

callin someone a noob when your playing ck2 instead of deus vult

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
we were all noobs once......

i'll never forget those hoi3 tutorial feels

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I once unified the British isles before my first ruler died, you little poo poo. Sit the gently caress down.

Will you teach me how to be a great CK2 player?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I conquered the world as the Dominican Republic in HoI4, but it was the release version and it crashed during the peace conference. I was going to own all of the Americas and the UK. :(

HoI4 made it a lot easier to play as some worthless minor with the national focus system, because you can pile up tons of factories into your impoverished one province island nation, and with the political advisors you can join whatever bloc you want.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 21, 2016

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
HoI4 is the best multiplayer paradox title to date. Last time I played it online I claimed I was going to join the fascist alliance against the democratic Germany and France but instead I flipped communist, which was who the democrats and fascists decided to kill first. Before the session ended I pretty much only had Warsaw left but we had a like 3:1 KD ratio. The Soviets and the USA had two players to handle their huge fronts and it worked pretty well.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

noobs gotta start somewhere

I started by buying and playing he game instead of watching an epic Lets Play

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

I started by buying and playing he game instead of watching an epic Lets Play

i started a game of eu3 and promptly disbanded my army like in ck

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It's cute when a little noob wanders into this thread after reading captain Andy's retarded ck2 guide all proud and full of unearned swag because they conquered Ulster one time. Go back to Games.

lmao

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I figured out what demesne is

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

elf help book posted:

i started a game of eu3 and promptly disbanded my army like in ck

My first Paradox experience was buying Vicky 2 and then going home and immediately trying to start a game as Travancore

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

How are the Vicky 2 expansions, btw? Anything good beyond the added start date?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Lots of changes, they are pretty much required for Vicky 2 to be fun imo.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
yeah, with the older paradox games (anything before ck2, so eu3, vicky 2, etc), you really do need to buy all of the expansions. it was only a few years ago that they started releasing bugfixes separately from expansions.

other fun old paradox jokes: "eu3 complete"

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I was one of the degenerate freaks that loved V2 even without the expansions but yeah the expansions still make it a hundred times better.

It's still the only Paradox game I've played to completion.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
it helps that it's a fraction of the length of the others (thank god)

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

other fun old paradox jokes: "eu3 complete"

it's still on sale on steam, lmao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I believe I own EU3 complete and no other DLC. It's the first paradox game I played

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

My first Paradox experience was buying Vicky 2 and then going home and immediately trying to start a game as Travancore

My first experience was with V1, and I was playing multiplayer with a friend. He was The Papal States and was spending all of his money on making explosives factories in the Vatican. I was Sweden and I spent all of my money building level 10 fortifications in every single province that I owned.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

In Training posted:

I believe I own EU3 complete and no other DLC. It's the first paradox game I played

i never played eu3 before httt; 'complete' doesn't have casus belli, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Commoners posted:

My first experience was with V1, and I was playing multiplayer with a friend. He was The Papal States and was spending all of his money on making explosives factories in the Vatican. I was Sweden and I spent all of my money building level 10 fortifications in every single province that I owned.
Vicky 1 (without Revolutions) is still up there when it comes to "not a learning curve, but a cliff" in my mind.