Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

He defended the corporate client and lost.

Did you just make a domestic violence joke?

Edit: Nope! Mr Nice! lives up to his name.

WrenP-Complete has issued a correction as of 19:11 on Sep 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Mors Rattus posted:

What about the private defense attorneys who're on retainer to organized crime?

Usually former prosecutors who understand the unique and super complex burdens of a mob trial. You don't very to prosecute cases like that in the first place unless you are very good.

Also if you need a PD for your mob trial you work for a lovely mob.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DeathSandwich posted:

Was Blaine the guy who made the 'I'm angry about gummy dicks' and the 'Sorry Daughters, daddy's gotta work' videos?
No that was John "Pump Jocky Works for Tips" Ritzheimer. Who lives off disability checks, his wife's income, and from selling shirts that say "gently caress Islam" on them.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Mr. Nice! posted:

He defended the corporate client and lost.

Yeah, sorry if that wasn't clear. You will occasionally see really good civil attorneys get scorched when they cross over to defend thier business clients in criminal charges. Upstanding businessmen are used to getting thier way and often pay a premium to really good civil attorneys to do so. When they get charged with smacking around thier spouse they want to go with the guy/firm that they trust with their millions. Good attorneys also tend to a bit cocky and by God if I can successfully fight off the IRS how hard could it be to whip some misdemeanor prosecutor?

They aren't bad lawyers, but criminal versus civil law are like very different dialects of the same language. Moreover if you are a good civil attorney you'll almost never see a jury.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts has issued a correction as of 18:42 on Sep 21, 2016

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Subterfrugal posted:

Yeah, sorry if that wasn't clear. Upstanding businessmen are used to getting thier way and often pay a premium to really good civil attorneys to do so. When they get charges with smacking around thier spouse they want to go with the guy/firm that they trust with their millions. Good attorneys also tend to a bit cocky and by God if I can successfully fight off the IRS how hard could it be to whip some misdemeanor prosecutor?

They aren't bad lawyers, but criminal versus civil law are like very different dialects of the same language. Moreover if you are a good civil attorney you'll almost never see a jury.

Ah I was just confused. So they use their company's lawyer as a defense attorney. From how you phrased it I thought you meant that you as the public defender was winning against the Ivy League lawyer who was on the other side.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

WrenP-Complete posted:

Ah I was just confused. So they use their company's lawyer as a defense attorney. From how you phrased it I thought you meant that you as the public defender was winning against the Ivy League lawyer who was on the other side.

In this case the goon is the prosecution. I suppose I could have worded my response more clearly as well.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

In this case the goon is the prosecution. I suppose I could have worded my response more clearly as well.

I was about to edit my post above. Cool, glad that didn't happen then...

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There are a bunch of goon lawyers of all trades. We have ambulance chasers, PDs and prosecution, patent office guys, a conucopia of government lawyers, and a handful of solo guys that take whatever cases will pay the bills.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subterfrugal posted:

This is true, but for a good reasons:
1. Almost everyone we charge did the thing that they are charged with. I recognize that sounds incredibly arrogant, but we have a very high burden and our cops are trained pretty well to those standards. If you're charged with DUI, you were probably behind the wheel after you'd been drinking. The only question left is whether we can prove it.

2. Someone reviews the case before they talk with you. The PDs office gets all the reports, records and evidence I do through discovery. I'm ethically required to ensure we can prove everything and it usually takes me about 20 minutes to screen a DUI. I assume that it is faster for a defense attorney because there are only so many places to attack the charge (was the stop good? was the ID good? did the cops follow testing protocol? are the tests internally consistent?). If there's no good issue, then they gotta put the file down to work on a case where there is.

3. the PD you talk to might not be the person who worked on your case. In anything other than the smallest jurisdiction there are going to be multiple PDs working multiple judges. Rather than have all of them go to a cattle-call court day it makes sense to send one guy who can read the notes while everyone else gets desk time. If the State has what they need, no amount of hand holding is going to change that so the dude who doesn't seem to know much about your case telling you that you're hosed and the plea over is reasonable is the practical effect of a system designed for efficiency over what the what we consider to be maxims of customer service.

The point I meant was "we don't fund PD's anywhere near enough and they need to plead people out as fast as possible just to keep up" rather than "PD's suck" :shobon:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

SocketWrench posted:

I realize they were loving pigs, but jesus christ, even animals are clear than them. loving lazy rear end slobs. I wonder how many are hoarders for the simple act they're too lazy to clean up after themselves

It never ceases to amaze me that these self-described 'rugged survivalists' would have died of the plague If the FBI just left them alone for another 3 weeks.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

red19fire posted:

It never ceases to amaze me that these self-described 'rugged survivalists' would have died of the plague If the FBI just left them alone for another 3 weeks.

quote:

Here lies Ryan Bundy, died of dysentery.
peperony and chease

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

You broke a wagon wheel on Ryan Bundy's face but were able to replace it with a spare.

Increase gummy dick rations to filling?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The gummy dicks were sugar free, you died

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
...I need to change my username. Pedanticus Rex? Technically?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Really appreciating the posts by actual defense attorneys itt. Keep it up guys.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

red19fire posted:

What was their ideal endgame anyways?

I know that they claimed to be prepared for a long occupation, but was that just cover when it didn't go their way or did they actually think they were prepared for a long occupation but were just incompetent at the actual preparation?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Azathoth posted:

I know that they claimed to be prepared for a long occupation, but was that just cover when it didn't go their way or did they actually think they were prepared for a long occupation but were just incompetent at the actual preparation?

From their perspective, in 2014 they ran roughshod over the BLM, got into an armed standoff with the feds, and the feds backed down. They were going to link up with likeminded sovcits (like the sheriff they were en route to that day) and spread the word and force the government to back down, bit by bit, and get land released to the states (and ultimately, available for private purchase).

They didn't expect the feds to actually do anything. So when the hammer actually dropped, most scattered.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Azathoth posted:

One idea is that they were expecting to get an eviction notice (instead of an arrest). Then they could use that eviction notice to argue their retarded "the federal government has no right to own land" position all the way to the supreme court.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Keep in mind that they also honestly believed that they were starting the next american civil war and that thousands of patriots would come and reenforce them any minute now.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

The Patriots were right, the driver of Ammon's jeep was an fed informant

https://twitter.com/ryanjhaas/status/778696766510084096

https://twitter.com/martinkaste/status/778703395125288965

bellows lugosi has issued a correction as of 23:19 on Sep 21, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm wondering if the large amount of documents they stole from computers at the Malheur office had something to do with their larger plan.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Step 1: Take over a bird sanctuary.
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Revert back to the Articles of Confederation

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

red19fire posted:

It's the Oregon Trail except the hunting is soliciting the internet for supplies, and there's really no trail

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm wondering if the large amount of documents they stole from computers at the Malheur office had something to do with their larger plan.

I'm pretty sure that boils down to "We know they're scheming something here, it must be in these documents. We'll "seize" them and look through them for evidence!"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

SocketWrench posted:

I'm pretty sure that boils down to "We know they're scheming something here, it must be in these documents. We'll "seize" them and look through them for evidence!"

I'm guessing it was more than that- that they were specifically pulling land ownership or property delineation records.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

SocketWrench posted:

It's the Oregon Trail except the hunting is soliciting the internet for supplies, and there's really no trail
You found 50lbs of personal lubricant while "scavenging" but were only able to carry 25lbs back to camp. If you continue to scavenge lube in this area it may become scarce.

Casimir Radon has issued a correction as of 23:54 on Sep 21, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You shot 1776 pounds of documents but you will be able to carry back only 200 pounds with the help of party members.

You used 1488 bullets.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Azathoth posted:

Ammon or Ryan said they were preparing to stay there for at least a year, per the OPB podcast. Within a week they were begging on twitter for blankets and food, because they did not bring these things to Oregon in January. In 3 weeks, they clogged all the toilets and dug a trench to poo poo in with a backhoe. By the time week 5 rolled around when the last four 'patriots' were finally arrested, it was in condemned trailer park condition. Week 8 would have introduced the plague, week 12 would have brought cannibalism.

Like in one of the mid-occupation videos by Fry right when they started going feral, he pans around and you can see a pile of broken lawn chairs, people sleeping in cars and just trash all over the place. Like in just over 2 weeks, they broken enough lawn chairs (that i presume they brought with them) to have a designated broken lawn chair area.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Victoria Sharp is pregnant, father is unknown. Morale is low.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Where did they get the backhoe?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Where did they get the backhoe?

It was onsite equipment used by Reserve workers, I believe.

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/778721060350926849
https://twitter.com/cjmoose/status/778722664668024832
https://twitter.com/voltron6666666/status/778728090486702080

dangit, I have no idea how to embed all of these together.

https://twitter.com/Leah_Sottile/status/778680327149543424

https://twitter.com/Leah_Sottile/status/778722937247367169

https://twitter.com/hecktow/status/778087685571301376
(probably didn't quite happen that way)

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 00:25 on Sep 22, 2016

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Did it capture any of the comments? Because I know a lot of goons were participating in those - I jumped in just a couple of times.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
hell I'm probably all over those chat logs, if they included the chat in it (I hope they did)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

:drat:

Is that a high score?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/778689948975112192

Platystemon posted:

:drat:

Is that a high score?

Apparently, at least for a single day's proceedings, particularly without further action being taken.

:siren:FBI negotiator Mark took the stand!!:siren:

Mark is Marc Maxwell!!!! :swoon:

(note this is just the first FBI result I got from the standoff- Marc is undoubtedly far more cool and handsome, but we will use this as a stand-in.)
https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/778745748158459905

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 01:28 on Sep 22, 2016

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Is there a greatest hits of Marc? I never got to listen during the standoff and everyone said he mocked the poo poo out of these cosplayers

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Marc was the single best recruiting tool for the FBI that I can imagine. Multiple former classmates of mine (PhD clinical psych) posted about changing attitudes towards the FBI as a result of his work.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Maxine Maxine Bernstein posted:

Jurors heard FBI negotiator Marc Maxwell's calls to remaining occupiers on 2/5, 2/6, repeatedly ask them if there were stairs in their tents

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 02:00 on Sep 22, 2016

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

WrenP-Complete posted:

Marc was the single best recruiting tool for the FBI that I can imagine. Multiple former classmates of mine (PhD clinical psych) posted about changing attitudes towards the FBI as a result of his work.

I want to join the FBI so Marc senpai will notice me :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Discendo Vox posted:

It was onsite equipment used by Reserve workers, I believe.

I believe they also broke it somehow during their digging of the shittrench, or possibly when they failed in an attempt to construct earthworks.