Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm not getting my rulebook until October, should've gone local :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Swagger Dagger posted:

I'm not getting my rulebook until October, should've gone local :(

I've had almost 0 luck going local. One store told me they see no issues getting their books tomorrow but they didn't have specifics on how many they were getting.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Were soviet lend-lease tanks always left unpainted, or just mostly? I ask because I've seen someone with shermans and valentines in green, and honestly it looks neat :shobon:

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The CoC main rules cover the big four from 1943-45 right? And Fallschirmjäger are included? Are there any support choices that would be grossly out of place in '43 besides obvious things like Tiger IIs?

Hopefully building a '43 ostfront Fallschirmjäger platoon, so

spectralent posted:

Were soviet lend-lease tanks always left unpainted, or just mostly? I ask because I've seen someone with shermans and valentines in green, and honestly it looks neat :shobon:

From what I understand, the soviets wouldn't repaint besides to whitewash the vehicle for winter, unless they had to overhaul it, ie it was knocked out and recovered. So you could have some tanks driving around in russian green while others still say "USA", in the same force

vintagepurple fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 20, 2016

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

vintagepurple posted:

The CoC main rules cover the big four from 1943-45 right? And Fallschirmjäger are included? Are there any support choices that would be grossly out of place in '43 besides obvious things like Tiger IIs?

Hopefully building a '43 ostfront Fallschirmjäger platoon, so

From what I understand, the soviets wouldn't repaint besides to whitewash the vehicle for winter, unless they had to overhaul it, ie it was knocked out and recovered. So you could have some tanks driving around in russian green while others still say "USA", in the same force

The rulebook lists have been kind of revised anyway, at least the German ones, so it's better to check the toofatlardies blog and/or forums for army lists. It's one of the main reasons why I keep arguing for them to make a new edition. However, making your own list is actually very easy if you can find information on how the platoon would normally be organize, i.e "three squads of ten men, each squad had an MG, and a platoo level officer and a mortar team" or such. So usually, some googling (or an osprey book) will be enough for making your own list, which is encourage. Otherwise, the people on the lardie forums have made tons of lists, and would happily help you.

As for support, I'm also looking to expand my 41 machine park into 43 Sicily, and I'm not sure the Panther was there, but from Kursk and forward you can use them on the eastern front, no problem. A lot of nice tank hunter vehicles came in full use in 1944 too, if I'm not mistaken. So my first main additions to the 41 stuff consists of a Tiger 1 and a better armed StuG. Oh, and some new PaKs, as we mostly have a ton of PaK 36s.

StuGs are great for CoC, as they are versatile and extremely "flavourful" for an infantry platoon. There's also something called the Consolidated Arsenal at the forums, where fans are working on a more extensive and systematic statting of tanks and guns, as the support lists in the book are admittedly inconsistent at times.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 20, 2016

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

vintagepurple posted:

Yes, Fallschirmjäger are one of the German platoon types detailed in the main book.

And it depends on what part of '43 you're talking about. The Panzerschreck didn't see service until some time in mid '43, and the first lot of Faustpatrone and PanzerFaust 30 weren't delivered until August of that year. It wouldn't be until September of '44 that the PanzerFaust 60 first saw action.

In terms of tanks, the earlier ones are all good. The Tiger I and the Panther were already in production in early 1943, but the Panzer IV Ausf H and Ausf J, Tiger II, JagdPanzer IV, JagdPanther, and Hetzer didn't come about until later.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I just found out Rubicon is making 28mm plastic Jeeps and trucks, so I don't have to buy resin ones from Warlord. I'm so excited, it makes the LRDG army I've been thinking about much more doable

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Swagger Dagger posted:

I just found out Rubicon is making 28mm plastic Jeeps and trucks, so I don't have to buy resin ones from Warlord. I'm so excited, it makes the LRDG army I've been thinking about much more doable

I bought metal jeeps and trucks from offensive Miniatures lol such a nightmare

I wrote up a piece on the Battle of Moore's Creek in the Rev War which has been a huge inspiration for Sharp practice for me. Here's a link

http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2016/09/recreating-history-at-moores-creek.html?m=1

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

spectralent posted:

Unpainted except for winter camo. Slogans and tactical numbers/insignia were painted on top of whatever American or British markings were left.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

muggins posted:

I bought metal jeeps and trucks from offensive Miniatures lol such a nightmare

I wrote up a piece on the Battle of Moore's Creek in the Rev War which has been a huge inspiration for Sharp practice for me. Here's a link

http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2016/09/recreating-history-at-moores-creek.html?m=1

I stopped reading after it said you love Turn :colbert:

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Colonial Air Force posted:

I stopped reading after it said you love Turn :colbert:

Man c'mon

Simcoe is the man

muggins fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 21, 2016

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I have a question about uniforms.

These men are designated as American infantry on the Perry Website, but are their uniforms suitable for British Regulars?

From my amateur perspective they seem to be so, since the uniforms were fairly generic apart from the colours, but I'd appreciate another perspective.

I ask because I prefer metal, but the Perrys don't do AWI British with this hat, and I don't want to resort to plastic for that classic look.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Ensign Expendable posted:

Unpainted except for winter camo. Slogans and tactical numbers/insignia were painted on top of whatever American or British markings were left.

Aww, that's a shame. I might paint one green just because it looks nice.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Endman posted:

I have a question about uniforms.

These men are designated as American infantry on the Perry Website, but are their uniforms suitable for British Regulars?

From my amateur perspective they seem to be so, since the uniforms were fairly generic apart from the colours, but I'd appreciate another perspective.

I ask because I prefer metal, but the Perrys don't do AWI British with this hat, and I don't want to resort to plastic for that classic look.

The main difference is the British have lace on facings, which you can just paint on if you want to, or not if you don't care much

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Dirt Worshipper posted:

The main difference is the British have lace on facings, which you can just paint on if you want to, or not if you don't care much

Hmm, true. I've also just noticed the lack of prominent cuffs of the sleeves.

I suppose it's probably either plastic or metals with slouch-hats or cut down Saratoga hats. That could lend an extra air of individuality to the force though.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Ha! Turns out I'm an idiot who can't read and Alan Perry directly references the AWI range on their site as a continuation of the figures he sculpted for Foundry here.

So that's where the metal figures with cocked hats ended up.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

A friend just gave me a tip about http://www.calpeminiatures.co.uk/, and now I'm going to att some pretty awesome French minis to my growing Sharp Practice horde. :)

Oh, and my main opponent added more Russian Jägers, so now I need to get serious with my Dragoon painting to catch up.

http://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonic-blog

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So my LGS convinced one of the guys in the queue for BA2 ahead of me to let me jump the line! :toot: Which was also the day my Chain of Command bundle arrived.

Kind of trying to figure out how to make my two platoons, now. Trying to figure out how to make babby's first Bolt Action platoons. I should be able to get a Sherman for cheap, since they're selling off a 1st edition starter set piecemeal at my LGS. I'm considering picking up a USMC Sprue & German weapons sprue for some conversion opportunities for my Armoured Doughs & Commandos respectively. I'm using the all-commando list. Anyone got any tips for listbuilding for dummies? I've been mucking about on Easyarmy, but I'd like to get some grasp on what my list is going to be before I start assembling.

Also, my Dom's Decals...er, decals arrived and it seems they'll fit just fine on my Flames of War tanks! :toot:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Yvonmukluk posted:

So my LGS convinced one of the guys in the queue for BA2 ahead of me to let me jump the line! :toot: Which was also the day my Chain of Command bundle arrived.

Kind of trying to figure out how to make my two platoons, now. Trying to figure out how to make babby's first Bolt Action platoons. I should be able to get a Sherman for cheap, since they're selling off a 1st edition starter set piecemeal at my LGS. I'm considering picking up a USMC Sprue & German weapons sprue for some conversion opportunities for my Armoured Doughs & Commandos respectively. I'm using the all-commando list. Anyone got any tips for listbuilding for dummies? I've been mucking about on Easyarmy, but I'd like to get some grasp on what my list is going to be before I start assembling.

Also, my Dom's Decals...er, decals arrived and it seems they'll fit just fine on my Flames of War tanks! :toot:

I'd recommend 4 regular or 3 veteran infantry squads if you're playing 1250. Put the extra machine guns in the squads, don't take the standalone machine gun teams, especially since you have to pay more for them. The other weapons teams are to your taste, really. Mortars are good, IDK about the PIAT anti-tank since I've never seen them on the table. Snipers and flamethrowers fall into that category where some games they're absolutely amazing for you and sometimes they just don't really do anything.

I would avoid adding a third man to the weapons squads since (I haven't seen 2e so this might have changed) a 2-man squad is harder to hit than a 3-man since it's considered a small unit. I would say the same for your HQ, but since you can make that a whole 6-man group it might be good to do that? I'd try playing it both with 2 and 6, probably nothing in between.

Your infantry groups should be really good at killing other infantry groups if you put both machine guns in, so maybe avoid an armored car. I'd make the Sherman or whatever other tank you get a veteran if you can, it's going to be your primary anti-tank.

Transports are better now since they can drive around and shoot after dropping off their squads, so if you have points/cash for the models they're not a bad choice.

I don't really know how static artillery plays. With the new template rules they might be totally great, I honestly have no idea.

edit: I guess your two commando squads have to be veterans so I would probably max those and take two regular infantry divisions on top of that, but I prefer to throw bodies at problems rather than out-strategize whoever I'm playing.

Here's a list I just threw together that I would take to the 1250 games we play locally. You can replace the two mortar squads with a 6pdr artillery gun. I'd take either Blood-Curdling Charge or Rapid Fire as my national characteristic, depending on how you like to use your troops.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 21, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Swagger Dagger posted:

I'd recommend 4 regular or 3 veteran infantry squads if you're playing 1250. Put the extra machine guns in the squads, don't take the standalone machine gun teams, especially since you have to pay more for them. The other weapons teams are to your taste, really. Mortars are good, IDK about the PIAT anti-tank since I've never seen them on the table. Snipers and flamethrowers fall into that category where some games they're absolutely amazing for you and sometimes they just don't really do anything.

I would avoid adding a third man to the weapons squads since (I haven't seen 2e so this might have changed) a 2-man squad is harder to hit than a 3-man since it's considered a small unit. I would say the same for your HQ, but since you can make that a whole 6-man group it might be good to do that? I'd try playing it both with 2 and 6, probably nothing in between.

Your infantry groups should be really good at killing other infantry groups if you put both machine guns in, so maybe avoid an armored car. I'd make the Sherman or whatever other tank you get a veteran if you can, it's going to be your primary anti-tank.

Transports are better now since they can drive around and shoot after dropping off their squads, so if you have points/cash for the models they're not a bad choice.

I don't really know how static artillery plays. With the new template rules they might be totally great, I honestly have no idea.

edit: I guess your two commando squads have to be veterans so I would probably max those and take two regular infantry divisions on top of that, but I prefer to throw bodies at problems rather than out-strategize whoever I'm playing.

I was kind of considering having a squad all armed with SMGs to capitalise on Tough Fighters for my Commandos. Seems like 1000 is the regular points for my local meta, I don't know if that changes anything.

Should I be upgrading the MGs to Vickers Ks? I could always use captured MG42s to represent those, I think. But thanks for the guide, that gives me something to go on!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I like the Vickers because I feel like 5 points for an extra die on a unit you have to take anyway is a pretty good use of points. Especially considering getting that die by buying an extra commando with a rifle would normally cost 14 points.

Keep in mind that in Bolt Action putting a ton of pins on a unit can basically take it out of action, so the more dice you're throwing at a unit the better, just statistically.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

feedmegin posted:

As I noted literally two posts later..
My PC had died and the app was being weird and buggy and just showing me the same posts over and over. Didn't see your post until now when doing catchup on this thread. Sorry about that.

spectralent posted:

Has anyone gotten the Zvezda KV-1 1941? I'm curious if it uses the same hull as the 1940 and KV-2, with the low detail on the front panel, or if it's got the applique tiles.
It's basically the same kit, but has a bonus gun part on the sprue. You can make either version for it.

Flippycunt posted:

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the free Patton model I was supposed to get. Anyone else that got their 2nd edition rulebook, can you confirm if yours came with the Patton mini?
A friend of mine who plays the game had a Patton model in the shop with him last week that he was giving to a different friend who plays USMC in the game so... I guess so?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

If you pre-ordered it from WLG you got Patton

Endman
May 18, 2010

I painted another Napoleonic man, pre-Peninsula as evidenced by his smashing gaiters unencumbered by overalls:

At this rate I should have a full force for Sharp Practice sometime in the 2020s!

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

muggins posted:

If you pre-ordered it from WLG you got Patton

I preorded from Warlord and didn't get one :(

Time to put in a ticket I guess.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Endman posted:

I painted another Napoleonic man, pre-Peninsula as evidenced by his smashing gaiters unencumbered by overalls:

At this rate I should have a full force for Sharp Practice sometime in the 2020s!

Nice! I visited my parents since I had a business trip nearby, and ended up coming home with parts of his giant miniatures stash: 60 victrix highlander center companies, and a bunch of the old Flintloque fantasy-style Napoleonics. There Nappy Dam has broken and I will br drowned in 19th century uniforms.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
So I'm trying to heard my italian paras into a 500pts platoon. I have the para box, the paras with german weapons blister and the para squad blister.

My plan so far

2nd LT and a dude, vets

Para squad with NCO SMG, LMG and 7 dudes with rifles, vets, x2

Light mortar, inexperienced

Sniper team, regular

Spaghettiverfer, regular

I just hope that the Other Guy won't be running StG Grenadier vets

EDIT: when my box of brits arrives, I'll start looking into the option of getting a cheap Sherman V somewhere.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Sp2 question - when using Confederate line infantry, I pull the card to activate a leader. I play two flag cards, my dudes are loaded - they fire and then move 3d6 forward to charge the enemy?

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
So, here's a weird question.

Can you play Team Yankee US vs Germany. Or British vs US? Or can you just play NATO vs USSR?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Commissar Kip posted:

Can you play Team Yankee US vs Germany. Or British vs US? Or can you just play NATO vs USSR?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Commissar Kip posted:

If you want. The points scale is no different if it's blue-on-blue.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

This!

You'll likely find that historical gamers have less respect for what a rulebook "allows" or not. Hell, we haven't even started playing Sharp Practice, and we're already discussing how to rewrite the official army lists to better represent the conflict that we'll be playing first, the invasion of Russia 1812. Make it your game. :)

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

muggins posted:

Sp2 question - when using Confederate line infantry, I pull the card to activate a leader. I play two flag cards, my dudes are loaded - they fire and then move 3d6 forward to charge the enemy?

Using Rebel Yell? Sounds right.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Serotonin posted:

Using Rebel Yell? Sounds right.

Yeah sorry I forgot to mention that, Rebel yell

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Warlord customer service was very friendly and helpful about the bad code, and I was able to get the deal after all! I'll have to wait for October, but that's ok.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

lilljonas posted:

This!

You'll likely find that historical gamers have less respect for what a rulebook "allows" or not. Hell, we haven't even started playing Sharp Practice, and we're already discussing how to rewrite the official army lists to better represent the conflict that we'll be playing first, the invasion of Russia 1812. Make it your game. :)

That's honestly one of my favorite parts of historicals- so many of the rulesets explicitly encourage tinkering and modifying things to help accomplish whatever it is you're trying to do.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I did a short battle report on a solo game of Sharp Practice I did to leave the rules better - sorry for the unpainted mess - should have my Confederates done next week.

http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2016/09/sharp-practice-learning-rules-with-solo.html?m=1

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Dammit, muggins, you're not making me want to play SP2 any less.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Got a M4 Sherman for relatively cheap for my Armoured Doughs, since my LGS is breaking up a few of the old starter sets and selling off the components at a discount. Quick question: do you guys think investing in a pintle mounted MG is a good idea?

Also, would mixing in a single sprue of US marines among my infantry to be feasible? i was thinking of using them to break up the monotony of poses or to represent veteran infantry. Would the uniforms be similar enough that I could get away with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Yvonmukluk posted:

Got a M4 Sherman for relatively cheap for my Armoured Doughs, since my LGS is breaking up a few of the old starter sets and selling off the components at a discount. Quick question: do you guys think investing in a pintle mounted MG is a good idea?

Also, would mixing in a single sprue of US marines among my infantry to be feasible? i was thinking of using them to break up the monotony of poses or to represent veteran infantry. Would the uniforms be similar enough that I could get away with it?

Just keep in mind that using pintle-mounts makes you count as open-topped. There's better ways to get more firepower than to gimp your armoured vehicle.

I would also say yes on the Marines sprue. Even just stealing the arms let's you mix things up enough to break some of the monotony.

Also, did somebody say CANADIANS?

Oh, they didn't? Sorry. :canada: