Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Ziploc posted:

gas in oil fun

What type of bike is this? I know on my DRZ that the float valve seat O-ring tends to fail. That leads to flooding the crankcase with oil if the petcock is left on prime or if their lovely vacuum petcock fails (which it does).

This happened to me just a couple weeks ago. I ended up just doing a carb rebuild because I was replacing the float valve o-ring anyways (might as well hit the other O-rings while you're in there).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
After a ride last week I noticed the petcock on the ninjette had some fuel on it. I went ahead and ordered a new one, but it's had no signs of leaking since. Should I just go ahead and swap it anyway?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Fishvilla posted:

What type of bike is this? I know on my DRZ that the float valve seat O-ring tends to fail. That leads to flooding the crankcase with oil if the petcock is left on prime or if their lovely vacuum petcock fails (which it does).

I replaced my petcock soon after I bought the bike. (Because it had failed)

Fishvilla posted:

This happened to me just a couple weeks ago. I ended up just doing a carb rebuild because I was replacing the float valve o-ring anyways (might as well hit the other O-rings while you're in there).

I'd like to avoid rebuilding 4 carbs.

It's a 01 Gen2 GSF600N Bandit.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 20, 2016

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Here4DaGangBang posted:

AKA living the Street Triple life.

Bah this reminds me I need to replace my gear indicator sensor. Its been acting all fucky, it usually thinks first is second, and 3-5 tend to bounce around a bit. I cleaned it a few months ago and it helped for a bit, but its back again. I wouldn't mind too much but it messes with the mapping since it the ECU has different maps for each gear.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Fishvilla posted:

Same here. I had to replace a float needle that stopped sealing. I think I had more gas than oil in the engine when it happened.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

captainOrbital posted:

I've actually stopped checking for 6th now because the FZ09 has two of the greatest bike innovations ever devised: a gear indicator and a goddamn clock on the dash.

Best bike.

No ABS though :/. I tried my friend's 09 and it's nice, but I prefer my Brutale.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

opengl128 posted:

Bah this reminds me I need to replace my gear indicator sensor. Its been acting all fucky, it usually thinks first is second, and 3-5 tend to bounce around a bit. I cleaned it a few months ago and it helped for a bit, but its back again. I wouldn't mind too much but it messes with the mapping since it the ECU has different maps for each gear.

I just ordered that part from CalMoto, I was going to ignore it but then I found out about the ECU mapping. It doesn't feel like the bike is down on power or running rough, but it's been broken since I've owned the bike so I have nothing to compare it to.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

pokie posted:

No ABS though :/.

In this country we value freedom. I don't need no nanny state telling me when I press the "breaks" too hard!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

pokie posted:

No ABS though :/

It does have ABS and traction control if you get it in the ADV-touring or retro-ish trims (FJ-09 and XSR900, respectively)

The FJ is a few grand more expensive and also kinda huge and chunky, but the XSR is only ~$1.2k more, which is kinda within reason if you ignore the difference in looks and just consider it just as the price of adding the rider aids package onto an FZ-09. It's a bit higher than the $300-500 hike most bikes have for the ABS package, but if you consider the extras of traction control and the slipper clutch it adds, it's not terribly outlandish.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The XSR looks like hot garbage imo

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

HotCanadianChick posted:

It does have ABS and traction control if you get it in the ADV-touring or retro-ish trims (FJ-09 and XSR900, respectively)

The FJ is a few grand more expensive and also kinda huge and chunky, but the XSR is only ~$1.2k more, which is kinda within reason if you ignore the difference in looks and just consider it just as the price of adding the rider aids package onto an FZ-09. It's a bit higher than the $300-500 hike most bikes have for the ABS package, but if you consider the extras of traction control and the slipper clutch it adds, it's not terribly outlandish.

XSR comes with improved suspension too.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

A MIRACLE posted:

Yeah, but its "built to be taken apart" and have parts swapped around. That's revolutionary, as motorcycles haven't been customizable since the day's some useless hipster's dad "found his heart and soul on the open road"
http://thebikeshed.cc/2015/11/11/yamaha-xsr700-built-to-be-taken-apart/

"Great bike and most enjoyable review to read. The writer captures the essence of all that’s good about the new wave of biking. Even an old fart like me who’s been on two wheels for 45+ years can see that this is the way forward if we want to broaden the appeal of motorcycles to an audience without grey facial hair." -a commenter

Because motorcycles are dying off as a popular thing to buy and use.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I like the customization options, but aesthetically the design is too busy. There are too many small mechanical details. Let your eyes start at the back of the bike and go forward, you will notice they get stuck around the motor area and start going in circles, searching for something to allow them to move forward again. There is no flow to the design whatsoever from front to back.

I would ride the poo poo out of it because everything else is great, I just don't like the looks. It will be interesting to see what people come up with for it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Painting the cylinder block (just that, not the crankcase end) the same silver as the side covers/radiator ends would help a lot with that imo

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Gorson posted:

Let your eyes start at the back of the bike and go forward, you will notice they get stuck around the motor area and start going in circles, searching for something to allow them to move forward again.

That just means it draws your eye to the motor, which is good. The motor should be the most visible and eye-catching part of the bike, covering it up with plastic should be illegal.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

HotCanadianChick posted:

That just means it draws your eye to the motor, which is good. The motor should be the most visible and eye-catching part of the bike, covering it up with plastic should be illegal.

Agree 100%, but I don't like how that motor looks. There's too much going on.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

A MIRACLE posted:

I ended up getting the FZ because it was cheaper, but I'd have taken the XSR if I wanted to (if my wife would have allowed me to) spend that much. The guy from RevZilla said "Spurgie and I spent the whole review calling "Not it!" when it came time to ride the FZ-09. The XSR really is that much better."

IDGARA how the drat thing looks. It's an FZ09 with ABS, better suspension and fuelling, a better seat, and some manner of traction control. It's a better bike. Now, I haven't ridden one yet, but I will give it a shot next time Yamaha comes around. Maybe I'll trade up if someone's selling one on CL.

It's not like the FZ09 looks like the Ducati 959 anyway. It's a basicass looking bike.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I was looking at the xsr also but I was sort of drawn to how the fz was rough around the edges. The xsr just seemed like it was trying too hard or something and I liked that the fz was sort of no fucks given.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

My fz 7 is getting dirty as balls and the patina is making the bike grow on me. Still feels way too bouncy, maybe I should dial the rear shock back a bit? I went up to 5 / 10 on the dial. I weight about 200 and downtime a have a bit of luggage on the tail

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

HotCanadianChick posted:

It would have never occurred to me to look for bikes with totally different names like that. I remember researching this market segment (<1k cc naked) and seeing only Striple and Brutale as viable upgrade paths.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

pokie posted:

It would have never occurred to me to look for bikes with totally different names like that. I remember researching this market segment (<1k cc naked) and seeing only Striple and Brutale as viable upgrade paths.

Yamaha has lately become the new expert on turning a couple of bikes into an entire lineup of new models. Both the FZ-09 and FZ-07 have three different models, the FZ-10 is basically a fourth trim of the current R1 (with the R1M, R1, R1S), they've got some new scrambler-thing that's just a Bolt with new bars and seat, etc.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Just how gutless, exactly, is an XT 225?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Everide has a really entertaining and honest review of it. What exactly are you wanting to do with it? I've always kind of wanted one, especially for trail riding.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lleTv_EnyMU

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Everide has a really entertaining and honest review of it. What exactly are you wanting to do with it? I've always kind of wanted one, especially for trail riding.

I saw that one, and it does a hell of a job of selling it. I want a bike I can use to explore the (relatively tame compared to what they're tackling in that review) trails around my area, but also ride 40-50 mph surface streets around town. There's few pretty clean ones around here for what seem like reasonable prices. I'm way into how light it is, the six-speed and e-start sound great. Unlike the vast majority (it seems) of local folks I didn't start on dirtbikes, I've never even thrown a leg over one.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I'm an idiot and let my Bandit 600 sit for a couple of years. I've spent most of the summer gradually getting it back in working order but something's tripping me up.

First I drained and chucked all the gas, had the carbs professionally cleaned, and stripped and resealed the gas tank. The battery wasn't even worth trying to reclaim so it's been replaced and charged as well. The first time I re-installed the carbs and tank it fired up after ~20sec of cranking, but never was running on all 4 cylinders. I've been checking that via the exhaust pipes and an IR thermometer. I did some obvious stuff like checking the tightness on all the carb connection points but ran out of time that day. The second day it fired right up again, but died after a couple of minutes on full choke. At some point I shifted it to its center stand instead of side stand, and yanked the spark plugs a couple of times and replaced them, but I haven't made any major changes that I know of.

Since then it won't fire at all. It turns over just fine and the main electrical system is working. There's fuel in the bowls, the carbs are clean, and there are no air obstructions. I also gave it a quick carb-cleaner into the intake to see it it'd fire but no luck. Because of the suddenness of the problem and the other things I'm leaning towards something in the ignition system going wrong.

-I've checked all four spark plugs directly by pulling them out and grounding them to the block, but all four appear to be a weak yellow instead of the nice blue I'm told is expected. I'm trying to narrow down potential problems but with all things electric it's a bitch.

-The igniter is supposed to receive full battery voltage with the key set to ON but gets ~11.9V out of 12.8V. I'm guessing that since there's spark at all that it's working well enough.

-The signal generator resistance is supposed to be 135-200 ohm but is only around 70 ohm. Could this be the problem? I checked the peak voltage and it's within spec.

-The lefthand ignition coil is within spec (spec is 2-4ohm primary and 30-40k secondary) but the right coil is at ~3.3ohm/60k ohm. The coil firing cylinders 2 and 3 (right hand) is out of spec but that doesn't explain why none of them are firing.

-I've started checking other parts of the ignition wiring but haven't had any luck solving it. I removed the sidestand switch and tested it, and it doesn't show continuity when pressed or not pressed. I tried jumping the other side of the connector to fool it but no change. This shouldn't matter anyway since I have it neutral and the clutch lever is pulled down.

Where should I go looking next? Am I misreading the sparkplug situation? When should I break down and start replacing parts? There are so many elements in the system it gets ugly quick.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

N is for Nipples posted:

I have one. You couldn't pay me to use it as a daily bike on the road if I had to do any highway, but I'm broken by big bikes in that regard anyway. Offroad I'm a beginner and I feel it's got the right amount of power for me to be able to wail on the throttle and fang around but it's not going to surprise me.

Nibbler
Feb 13, 2007

America's Game, the way it's meant to be played.
I have an xt250 and ride it around town, to work (3 miles so I don't consider it commuting) and take it off road and I think it's a fun little bike. You have to realize what you're getting though when you're looking at those bikes. I've been on the highway with it but only to get from point a to b, not for pleasure. It's done well with exactly what I bought it for which is to let me zip around town and link trails. However you won't win any races.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
how bad is it exactly to lay a bike on its side? like, I've never seen anyone besides dirt bikers do it on purpose. i know oil can get in the air filter so it's gotta be cleaned, is it otherwise not bothered?

asking out of curiosity

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Verge posted:

how bad is it exactly to lay a bike on its side? like, I've never seen anyone besides dirt bikers do it on purpose. i know oil can get in the air filter so it's gotta be cleaned, is it otherwise not bothered?

asking out of curiosity

Depends on the bike, the side you lay it on, how long it stays there, whether it was running, and a million other factors. Just off the top of my head other things that could end up hosed are batteries leaking, fuel getting to places it shouldn't, air getting into oil and water pumps, sump sludge ending up in oilways... just take a look at any component on your bike and try to figure out how dependent it is on gravity keeping poo poo where it should be.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
When I got my SV650, the cylinders were hydro locked from being full of oil and gas from laying on its' side a while when the PO payed it down. Starter couldn't turn the motor until I yanked the spark plugs to let it puke out some of the gunk in the cyls, and the residual oil that got barfed out the exhaust valves make the exhaust pretty smoky for a while.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I'm an idiot and let my Bandit 600 sit for a couple of years. I've spent most of the summer gradually getting it back in working order but something's tripping me up.

First I drained and chucked all the gas, had the carbs professionally cleaned, and stripped and resealed the gas tank. The battery wasn't even worth trying to reclaim so it's been replaced and charged as well. The first time I re-installed the carbs and tank it fired up after ~20sec of cranking, but never was running on all 4 cylinders. I've been checking that via the exhaust pipes and an IR thermometer. I did some obvious stuff like checking the tightness on all the carb connection points but ran out of time that day. The second day it fired right up again, but died after a couple of minutes on full choke. At some point I shifted it to its center stand instead of side stand, and yanked the spark plugs a couple of times and replaced them, but I haven't made any major changes that I know of.

Since then it won't fire at all. It turns over just fine and the main electrical system is working. There's fuel in the bowls, the carbs are clean, and there are no air obstructions. I also gave it a quick carb-cleaner into the intake to see it it'd fire but no luck. Because of the suddenness of the problem and the other things I'm leaning towards something in the ignition system going wrong.

-I've checked all four spark plugs directly by pulling them out and grounding them to the block, but all four appear to be a weak yellow instead of the nice blue I'm told is expected. I'm trying to narrow down potential problems but with all things electric it's a bitch.

-The igniter is supposed to receive full battery voltage with the key set to ON but gets ~11.9V out of 12.8V. I'm guessing that since there's spark at all that it's working well enough.

-The signal generator resistance is supposed to be 135-200 ohm but is only around 70 ohm. Could this be the problem? I checked the peak voltage and it's within spec.

-The lefthand ignition coil is within spec (spec is 2-4ohm primary and 30-40k secondary) but the right coil is at ~3.3ohm/60k ohm. The coil firing cylinders 2 and 3 (right hand) is out of spec but that doesn't explain why none of them are firing.

-I've started checking other parts of the ignition wiring but haven't had any luck solving it. I removed the sidestand switch and tested it, and it doesn't show continuity when pressed or not pressed. I tried jumping the other side of the connector to fool it but no change. This shouldn't matter anyway since I have it neutral and the clutch lever is pulled down.

Where should I go looking next? Am I misreading the sparkplug situation? When should I break down and start replacing parts? There are so many elements in the system it gets ugly quick.

If it was running and now it's not, go back down the list of each previous thing you messed with and check each connector (disconnect and reconnect them)/part. Then validate all bolts are tight, battery terminals, coil connectors are tight and on properly, grounds, etc.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Depends on the bike, the side you lay it on, how long it stays there, whether it was running, and a million other factors. Just off the top of my head other things that could end up hosed are batteries leaking, fuel getting to places it shouldn't, air getting into oil and water pumps, sump sludge ending up in oilways... just take a look at any component on your bike and try to figure out how dependent it is on gravity keeping poo poo where it should be.

WOW. ok, i will not lay my bike down to do maintenance tyvm

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you have the oil drained, the gas tank off, and the battery taken out, there should be no problem gently laying the bike on its side. Put down something soft (old mattress, log covered in towels, etc) so you don't scratch the paint, and make sure that you support it in a way that will keep the foot controls from bending. Let it down slowly; a friend with a sturdy rope can help.

I've had to do this on both my old CL350s to get enough leverage on the oil drain bolt after thirty years of sitting in barns.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Verge posted:

WOW. ok, i will not lay my bike down to do maintenance tyvm

Why the gently caress would you do that?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
My valves needed adjustment so I had to LAYERRRR DAAAAAAHHHWN.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
That's legit depending on how you do it and why. Dudes do it with dirt bikes/track bikes fairly frequently for some repairs. Saves you the time/effort of draining the oil.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Marxalot posted:

everyone look at mr fancy pants here with his paddock stands!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marxalot posted:

The KTM owner's manual says to do this so as to prime the two oil filters on the LC4.

Needless to say I did not do this and the engine somehow didn't blow up.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I'm looking at getting some handguards, levers, and pegs for my new-to-me XT225. I'm planning to hunt down some cheap eBay shorties for the levers, but I have no experience with pegs or handguards. I've heard good things about the Tusk aluminum guards, but I'm not sure if I want to get the big plastic bits. Pegs are a complete mystery. What do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Wow you move quick.

N is for Nipples posted:

So how gutless is it?

What do you want in pegs and such that you are shopping for them right now? I like zeta hand guards because i like the built in turn signals. Otherwise, I'd get whatever guards look good because it's a simple design with little improvement without spending crazy cash. I like stock levers, but have gone with the china adjustable before with no complaints. Pegs I've wrapped in cut open bicycle innertube (free from bike shops), and zip tied in place. I find it makes them comfortable, easy to ride on, and not tear up my boots.