Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm more excited for Emperor Franky vs. a giant on Elbaf. Also Monster Chopper vs. a giant. And Giant Robin Limbs vs. a giant.

Man, Elbaf is going to rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Space-Bird posted:

I don't really think it's cool that Reiju is keeping her head down, and not sticking up for her runt brother. I'm surprised people think this is ok? But I guess that's pretty realistic. I think it's great from a narrative perspective, because it's a great contrast for people like Luffy, and why they're cool.

She reminds me of the nazi era german people who pitied the untermenschen but were too afraid to speak out. Its easy for us to say that it was wrong that they stayed silent, but those people were rightfully afraid of the consequences.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Resurrecting this old post of mine since we're talking about the subject of possible backstories again.

lowercase16 posted:

We actually know very little about any of the Strawhats' backstories, aside from a single defining tragedy.

Luffy
Before Flashback - Who/where is Luffy's mom? Why was he abandoned? Why did Garp take him to be raised by a bandit rather than raise Luffy himself?
After Flashback - Not much here. We're led to believe that Luffy just continued to train until the day he left. Something else could have happened though.

Zoro
Before Flashback - No parents. What happened to them? Was he living in that dojo? Actually, come to think of it, Zoro might have parents. It'd be a great gag later to find out that Zoro has a doting mother and father back home who just want their precious baby boy to be happy.
After Flashback - Zoro had to have some adventures on his own to have already made a name for himself as a bounty hunter. Who did he take down? Mightn't they want revenge?

Nami
Before Flashback - Found in a battlefield. Was this a war or just bad pirate attack? There could be something special about Nami (or Nojiko, I guess) tied to that battle and that's why Bellemere had to desert the marines in order to save the girls.
After Flashback - Same as Zoro, really. She stole 93 million berries from some presumably pissed off pirates. More opportunity for a revenge story.

Usopp
NO FLASHBACK - I mean, there's a brief one in which his mother dies and he starts his daily lying, but that's not really tragic ENOUGH for a One Piece flashback, you know? Really, his defining tragedy was The Boy Who Cried Wolf one that we get when he joins the Strawhats.

Sanji
Before Flashback - Nothing before being a cook on a cruise ship. Again, no parents. Again, where are they/who are they? I like the secret prince/noble theory. I prefer to think that Sanji ran away for some reason, but was too young to know the life of privileged he was throwing away and therefore won't have any idea why he's wanted Only Alive. Maybe the Mr. Prince moniker was just a coincidence (he likes to think of himself as a Prince Charming/knight in shining armor, after all), or maybe he vaguely remembers being called a prince when he was very young. Maybe he recalls it as a mother's petname rather than a title. Lotta "maybes" there. Can't wait to find out more.
After Flashback - Nothing much. We know he stayed on the Baratie and helped Zeff. Not a lot of room for extra stories there.

Chopper
Before Flashback - Nothing to see here. Unless we count the story of the previous Human-Human Fruit eater who must have died on Drum Island at some point.
After Flashback - Again, I'm not seeing much. He trains under Doc Kureha.

Robin
Before Flashback - We know about her mom, but what about her dad? Something is mentioned about his "unfinished business" (I JUST rewatched this, and noted the line), so there's probably a story there. Also, Robin had already eaten the devil fruit by the time we see her flashback. Where did she get it and from whom?
After Flashback -

Franky
Before Flashback - Pirate parents who can't handle their unruly son? I want to hear that story. Or at least get a page or two displaying their character designs and personalities. They could even be "important" later, but I doubt it. I think they're only important to set up Franky as being a wild child.
After Flashback - I think there's a good story to be told about what Franky did after failing to stop the train and rebuilding himself as a cyborg. He didn't go back to Water 7 right away. What did he do in the intervening years? What made him return to the island that held such pain for him and already thought him dead?

Brook
Before Flashback - We got a lot of his life story in the flashback, but there's still so much to tell. There's literally a lifetime of stories missing from Brook's backstory. He remembers a rookie named Roger; maybe he'll have experienced something else that turned out to be really important.
After Flashback - Not much. We didn't get to see much of his first encounter with Moria. Just a flashback to his first attempt to retrieve his shadow. Other that that, it's just lonely drifting through fog.

So yeah. There's a lot of room for further defining the personalities of pretty much all the Strawhats.

One thing I noticed in my current read-through of the series is that we briefly saw Dragon's ship docked at Zoro's childhood dojo, implying Zoro's sensei has a connection to the Revolutionary Army.

I still say Zoro is from Wano and just wound up in East Blue after leaving his dojo because he got super lost.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I like how Sanji, despite being put through the loving ringer with his rear end in a top hat family, still isn't as shaken up as he was when marooned on a boulder slowly starving to death.

Starving sucks kids, it's a chump way to go

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Broseph Brostar posted:

She reminds me of the nazi era german people who pitied the untermenschen but were too afraid to speak out. Its easy for us to say that it was wrong that they stayed silent, but those people were rightfully afraid of the consequences.

I'm willing to bet she got him out of there after he got iron-masked. In which case she's more of an Oskar Schindler.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

DizzyBum posted:

Tonjit? Yeah, I think quite a few people have already theorized this.

Granted just about every theory possible has been theorized by someone. Remember nanomachines?

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
I do not remember the nanomachines. Please, kind sir, tell me more of this theory.

:unsmigghh:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Star Platinum posted:

I do not remember the nanomachines. Please, kind sir, tell me more of this theory.

Kizaru's superpower isn't a Devil Fruit, it's nanomachines. (That was before Kizaru explained that he had eaten a Devil Fruit)

That's all there is to it.

Now, there was also the theory that Whitebeard asked to be stabbed on purpose by Squardo.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Star Platinum posted:

The truth is that Blackbeard has a dream! The World Government is diseased -- rotten to the core...there's no saving it... We need to pull it out by the roots! Wipe the slate clean -- burn it down! And from the ashes a new era will be born! Evolved but untamed! The weak will be purged, and the strongest will thrive; free to live as they see fit! They'll make The World Government great again!
He's using piracy as a business to become an emperor! So he can end piracy as a business... In his new era, people will die and kill... for what they believe! Not for money, not for one piece, not for what they're told is right! Every man will be free to fight his own wars! Zehahahahahaha!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Pureauthor posted:

Now, there was also the theory that Whitebeard asked to be stabbed on purpose by Squardo.

thats a good one

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i post the dumbest theories itt but also im gonna be right about all of them except the ones i was wrong about

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
One interesting theory I've seen on another site is that there's some sort of connection between Vinsmoke genetic engineering and Devil Fruits. Given Vegapunk's involvement in both Vinsmoke Judge's research and Devil Fruit research, this makes some sense. Maybe the abilities of Sanji's siblings are imperfect recreations of Devil Fruit abilities?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
oh yeah so the other thing is i bet the reason you can make a zillion zoan devil fruits is basically you make a slightly different model of the version by inventing a slightly new species.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

anime was right posted:

oh yeah so the other thing is i bet the reason you can make a zillion zoan devil fruits is basically you make a slightly different model of the version by inventing a slightly new species.

How many cats and dogs are there?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Silver2195 posted:

One interesting theory I've seen on another site is that there's some sort of connection between Vinsmoke genetic engineering and Devil Fruits. Given Vegapunk's involvement in both Vinsmoke Judge's research and Devil Fruit research, this makes some sense. Maybe the abilities of Sanji's siblings are imperfect recreations of Devil Fruit abilities?

That is interesting. While the electric attack we saw in this chapter could be explained otherwise, I'm curious to see the explanation behind Reiju's power. You can't really handwave sucking poison out of someone as science.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So does that mean Diable Jambe isn't just Sanji kicking things with fire just because? That's a little disappointing.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Last Celebration posted:

So does that mean Diable Jambe isn't just Sanji kicking things with fire just because? That's a little disappointing.

God I hope Sanji's superhuman strength and Diable Jambe/Geppou/Haki abilities aren't retconned to be genemods kicking in way late. He should have some sort of blood test or something at some point in the arc that reconfirms that no he's still just a normal guy who got real fuckin' strong.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
sanji has a rare bloodtype that only jinbe? had.

wonder if its related... he's really good at swimming and holding his breath...

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

God I hope Sanji's superhuman strength and Diable Jambe/Geppou/Haki abilities aren't retconned to be genemods kicking in way late. He should have some sort of blood test or something at some point in the arc that reconfirms that no he's still just a normal guy who got real fuckin' strong.

Knowing Oda there's no way he just isn't a normal dude that got strong with good parenting and real friends, especially given Zoro is just a normal rear end swordsman. Possibly the whole fire kicking thing might be genetics, but it would go against Oda's style to have a family of super solders with the reject not just surpassing them all by gitting gud.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Shoren posted:

That is interesting. While the electric attack we saw in this chapter could be explained otherwise, I'm curious to see the explanation behind Reiju's power. You can't really handwave sucking poison out of someone as science.

I'm willing to bet Reiju has an actual Devil Fruit. She's clearly some kind of butterfly Zoan whereas Ichiji (or Niji, whichever) seem to have some generic form of Electro. And we already have the electricity man up on the moon.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

lowercase16 posted:

I still say Zoro is from Wano and just wound up in East Blue after leaving his dojo because he got super lost.

Zoro's getting lost doesn't kick into overdrive until he gets the cursed sword; before that, he's reasonably capable of finding his way around.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

QuantaStarFire posted:

Zoro's getting lost doesn't kick into overdrive until he gets the cursed sword; before that, he's reasonably capable of finding his way around.

No poo poo? That would be an interesting reveal. And it's kind of a dumb curse, which would fit in One Piece.

Does he really never get lost before getting that sword? Time for another re-read, I guess! (Eventually. I need to finish THIS re-read first. About to start Dressrosa, though, so I'm nearly caught up.)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The whole reason he became a bounty hunter was because he couldn't find his way back to his dojo, so the whole getting lost thing isn't new.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

TriffTshngo posted:

Nah, I'd bet my shirt that Oda will take it in the complete opposite direction and show Sanji monologue heroically about the inherent value of ordinary humans while kicking the poo poo out of his dad to prove him wrong and it's going to be :krad:

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I have a vegapunk theory, I think that we've already met him, but we just didn't realize it.

The old man is vegapunk, and for a second he thought that akoiji had blown his cover.

Is this actually a popular theory? Seems like a huge stretch.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Shoren posted:

That's Vegapunk's silhouette, from a flashback during Punk Hazard. Tonjit was just a nomad and we see him caught up to his family in the 'Two Years Later' cover arc that recaps there characters the Strawhats had met thus far.

Also silhouettes aren't worth much. The first time the Yonkou were mentioned during the water7 aftermath there were sketches of each of them, but only Shanks and Whitebeard match their shadows. Kaidou and Big Mom look completely different from their actual selves.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the only crackpot theory with any real weight are the variations of "there is something weird about Blackbeard's biology"

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Sub Harrison posted:

Also silhouettes aren't worth much. The first time the Yonkou were mentioned during the water7 aftermath there were sketches of each of them, but only Shanks and Whitebeard match their shadows. Kaidou and Big Mom look completely different from their actual selves.

Kanjuro also had his silhouette changed from the Shonen Jump to Volume release. When he actually appeared he resembled neither of them. http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Kanjuro#Trivia

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
did i ever tell you guys my theory on how mihawk is kunia who was found by iva near death from the stairs and turned into a man (also have some sick fanfics of him and zoro with this in mind)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

NecroMonster posted:

the only crackpot theory with any real weight are the variations of "there is something weird about Blackbeard's biology"

Here's my new theory made up just now related to that and the current chapter:

What if Blackbeard's genetics are all hosed up because of the 'genetic lineage' thing talked about in the cloning vats room or some kind of genetic mutation that allows for him to eat more than one Devil Fruit?

I guess the bigger question that this one brings up is: How would Blackbeard even begin to know anything about how his body is abnormal, let alone at the genetic level in a world still mainly operated by guns and swords and snail transponders and how even expert doctors freak out about a lead-borne disease shows a huge knowledge and scientific gap between Average Joe Scientist and Vegapunk and his World Government scientist counterparts?

Something seems fishy about all of this... What if Blackbeard secretly also wanted access to top secret areas as a Shichibukai in addition to Impel Down? Like, say, Vegapunk's current lab to do some tests on himself before taking the leap with Whitebeard at Marineford? Maybe he found out a trick to inserting Devil Fruits in himself that only he and Vegapunk now know and definitely don't want the whole world watching lest he spoil an incredibly valuable trade secret?

I think Blackbeard is overly Devil Fruit-focused to the expense of dealing with Haki-users, as Film Z pointed out as an important theme of the New World. I seriously think Blackbeard's big plan is to have his underlings hunt down Devil Fruits and their users; not only to keep them permanently out of play for potential other users - thereby diminishing potential threats from a zero-sum game perspective - but also to stuff Blackbeard with a potentially unlimited number of Devil Fruits to turn him into some sort super Moriah's Shadow Asgard or Nightmare Luffy monstrosity, then he really will be a chimera or hydra with a million different heads.

Yeah... My bet is on Blackbeard doing additional sneaky poo poo behind the scenes between Ace being captured and imprisoned and his encounter with Luffy at Impel Down that will only get revealed after Kaidou and Big Mom are defeated and the Straw Hats start to clash with the Blackbeard Pirates for real.

Count on it! :c00lbert:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 22, 2016

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'd focus less on the fact he knows his body is unusual and more on the fact Marco spoke about it like it was openly known at least among former crew members. The darkness fruit allowing absorption of different fruits seems more likely to me. It's certainly a simpler explanation.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

tsob posted:

I'd focus less on the fact he knows his body is unusual and more on the fact Marco spoke about it like it was openly known at least among former crew members. The darkness fruit allowing absorption of different fruits seems more likely to me. It's certainly a simpler explanation.

Yeah, given that the power of the Darkness fruit is absorption, absorbing the power of multiple fruits seems like a totally logical extension of that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I like the theory that he is a chimera or ate a chimera mythical zoan fruit and so can have one, but only one, of each type.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i like that theory too

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

specifically he ate the mythical zoan: cerberus

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Yeah, given that the power of the Darkness fruit is absorption, absorbing the power of multiple fruits seems like a totally logical extension of that.

Also betting that when Luffy lands the final punch on Blackbeard, a mountain of Devil Fruits come exploding out of him as he goes unconscious like a Vegas slot machine.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Blackbeard is three people in one body, his hair is a wig hiding two other faces. The face we all know and love is the dominant one.
Marco knows it's a sore spot so he keeps it secret to be polite.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Captain Invictus posted:

alternatively, have sanji do the face-beating at once, two with fists, two with feet, the fists which he would normally never use would be for wasting food and beating a woman

Super strongly against Sanji hitting anything with his fists. Kicks and sick burns are plenty.

LupusAter posted:

My prediction is that Reiju will remove the explosive wristlets and take care of the east blue connection while Sanji makes mincemeat out of them.

If anyone other than Sanji removes the bomb cuffs it'll be Luffy, either of them doing it are obviously going to use the Rayleigh method. Wouldn't be too surprised if Zeff doesn't tell Sanji to kick an rear end or two over Den-Den, after Zeff and the cooks beat the poo poo out of whatever assassin was sent their way.

Kild posted:

Nami Zoro and Brook all have more backstory to tell.

Nami doesn't have anymore tragic backstory to tell. She and Nojiko already laid out the first tragic backstory and at best one or both will turn out to be long lost daughters of some new arc inducing guy.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gyges posted:

Nami doesn't have anymore tragic backstory to tell. She and Nojiko already laid out the first tragic backstory and at best one or both will turn out to be long lost daughters of some new arc inducing guy.

Her village was destroyed and parents presumably killed by marines. There's more to it for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kild posted:

Her village was destroyed and parents presumably killed by marines. There's more to it for sure.

She was a baby and Bellemare is her mom. We already know she's a war orphan, context isn't really changing anything.