Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Holy hell, "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" is one big pacing issue. At least we get a "sabotaaaage" out of the deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

CPColin posted:

Holy hell, "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" is one big pacing issue. At least we get a "sabotaaaage" out of the deal.

I love the weird zoom-ins on the alerts in that one. That is the episode where that happens, right?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Watching Datalore for the first time and the music is absolutely brilliant. I wish the music was like this more often.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

cargohills posted:

Watching Datalore for the first time and the music is absolutely brilliant. I wish the music was like this more often.

You noticed the music!

That means you were distracted from the episode, they should have strived for sonic wallpaper!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I love the weird zoom-ins on the alerts in that one. That is the episode where that happens, right?

Yep!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

bull3964 posted:

You noticed the music!

That means you were distracted from the episode, they should have strived for sonic wallpaper!

lol. What a bad and dumb decision sonic wallpaper was. One of the main reasons I love TOS is how nuts the music is.

It's a dumb episode, but I really love how goofy that effect is.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

lol. What a bad and dumb decision sonic wallpaper was. One of the main reasons I love TOS is how nuts the music is.

Family Guy has been awful for years, but every now and again they slip in a joke about how Ron Jones (FG's primary composer) got totally boned on TNG, and it's great.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Lord Hydronium posted:

On the subject of stock Trek plots, DS9 really liked "everyone plays out of character" episodes, didn't they. There's "alien influence causes weird personality shifts" (Dramatis Personae), "evil/alternate versions of the main characters" (all the Mirror Universe episodes), and episodes where they just play entirely different characters (Our Man Bashir, Far Beyond the Stars). I suppose you could also count Badda-Bing, Badda-Bang with the characters themselves intentionally acting as different people.

e: That's not even to mention all the individual characters getting possessed by aliens, Pah-Wraiths, or being replaced by Changelings. Or Prophets appearing as other characters.

Man, Dramatis Personae would have been great as, like, a late season two episode. They managed to hold off longer than the TNG staff did with The Naked Now but it was still way too early to have fun with a characterization swap.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Timby posted:

Family Guy has been awful for years, but every now and again they slip in a joke about how Ron Jones (FG's primary composer) got totally boned on TNG, and it's great.

There's bits about Ron Jones in the book where multiple people refute that he got kicked because of the sonic wallpaper poo poo but I wasn't listening that closely to that part

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

A Fancy Bloke posted:

There's bits about Ron Jones in the book where multiple people refute that he got kicked because of the sonic wallpaper poo poo but I wasn't listening that closely to that part

Oh, very clever, A Fancy Book. Eat any good books, lately?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love all this insider trek drama so I caved and bought the 50 year mission book. Hope it's good!

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

cargohills posted:

For real, the music is one of the few strong points of the really rough first two seasons of TNG. I still remember the music set to the Yamato's destruction (also a pretty good effect) from series two, its just so good and distinct.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

egon_beeblebrox posted:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Geez, like an Adam West Batman. :rolleyes:

Next thing you know, Frank Gorshin will show up.

Wait...

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Even if he wasn't literally fired for pushing back against sonic wallpaper, it's still a fact that late TNG's music was a huge mushy mess.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Timby posted:

Like what? I've never caught them, but that sounds fascinating.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Baronjutter posted:

I love all this insider trek drama so I caved and bought the 50 year mission book. Hope it's good!

There's two books dawg. And yeah they are awesome

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Even if he wasn't literally fired for pushing back against sonic wallpaper, it's still a fact that late TNG's music was a huge mushy mess.
I beg to differ. :colbert:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Baka-nin posted:

For real, the music is one of the few strong points of the really rough first two seasons of TNG. I still remember the music set to the Yamato's destruction (also a pretty good effect) from series two, its just so good and distinct.

I really hope the music for the new show is memorable and includes lots of cool spacey synth noises, I loved that poo poo from TNG's first three seasons.

gently caress it, raise Jerry Goldsmith from the dead

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tighclops posted:

I really hope the music for the new show is memorable and includes lots of cool spacey synth noises, I loved that poo poo from TNG's first three seasons.

gently caress it, raise Jerry Goldsmith from the dead

Whatever the music turns out like, let's hope Bryan Fuller writes lyrics for all of it (none of which will ever be used, of course) in order to claim co-author credit and 50% of the royalties. It's what Gene would have wanted.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I own an IDIC shirt

That's what Gene would have wanted

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I cheated on my common law wife, then entered a relationship with the mistress who I then also cheated on.

It's what Gene would have wanted :heysexy:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I time travel assassinated JFK

It's what Gene would have wanted.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

There are at least a handful of episodes in the first few years of TNG that are only really memorable because of the music. Evolution is a great example. The story itself didn't have a whole lot going on, but it still feels oddly fresh on a rewatch mostly thanks to the score. It probably wouldn't stand out at all in the later seasons once the production was in its final form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6Xnqm1H39c

The sonic wallpaper we got later on would've killed a lot of the tension. And they used the wallpaper for so long that it eventually came around the other side and became noticeable, just in the "oh for gently caress's sake not this music again" way, a big contributor to how stale Star Trek looked and felt towards the end. By the time Enterprise started experimenting a little it was way too late.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

There are people talking about this same subject (music designed to not be noticeable) in the CD film score thread.

The jist is that it's much easier to edit around unremarkable filler music and stings than wait for the composer to come up with sweet tunes for everything. Hence there are no memorable pieces in any Marvel movie, for example.

Also I'm not convinced that the early TNG music is that great, it sounds like poo poo you hear on 80's direct-to-VHS stuff/babby's first synth score.

The TNG budget was low enough that they liked to write "bottle" episodes (no unique/episode-specific sets), so if they had to sacrifice that kind of music to get the show done, it's a deal.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It was the 80's, if it's not ok to sound like babby's first synth score in those days then I don't know what's acceptable quite frankly

I really hated that by the time you get to Voyager, the music and opening teasers are like "oh hi harry off to wank in the holodeck again" "oh cool tom I'll see you on the bridge" WAHH WAAHH WAHH WAHHHHH *fade to black*

like who the gently caress were they trying to get watching this show?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gammatron 64 posted:

Voyager people are dumb and bad and should feel bad. Voyager people are like Doctor Who people.
Howe dare you compare awesome schlock sci-fi with loving terrible schlock sci-fi. Doctor Who is fun. Voyager is poo poo.

And as always, Deep Space 9 is the best Star Trek.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

It's me, I'm the one who likes Enterprise. Voyager is one true Trek failure.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I'm having a discussion with a buddy, we can't agree which song is better. To avoid a flaming, I won't reveal my preference.

Mutara Nebula battle theme song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KilBvojsMdw

or the Klingon theme?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXYjvrzJkl8

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tighclops posted:

It was the 80's, if it's not ok to sound like babby's first synth score in those days then I don't know what's acceptable quite frankly

I really hated that by the time you get to Voyager, the music and opening teasers are like "oh hi harry off to wank in the holodeck again" "oh cool tom I'll see you on the bridge" WAHH WAAHH WAHH WAHHHHH *fade to black*

like who the gently caress were they trying to get watching this show?

On the other hand, "Wow, music that a 20-year-old kid could make in half an hour in his basement, this is truly timeless." And it's not good 80's synth either.

If they were mothballing stuff like they might do today, such as orchestral pieces (even the fake-sounding stuff that they record separately and then overlay), then I could see the concern. The original series themes are about a thousand times better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWE8TYxgG9s

Voyager is of course trash.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I can't remember any star treks music outside of the themes and the end of BOBW Part 1

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'm having a discussion with a buddy, we can't agree which song is better. To avoid a flaming, I won't reveal my preference.

or the Klingon theme?

They're both awesome but Khan wins this one.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Powered Descent posted:

They're both awesome but Khan wins this one.

Yeah, the Mutara Nebula music really sets the tone of the battle. I just can't imagine it without exactly that music.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I'll go with Mutara, though some small part of me is starting to prefer Stealing The Enterprise, Mutara's somewhat overlooked cousin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s5lQ-bGe6c

Zurui posted:

It's me, I'm the one who likes Enterprise. Voyager is one true Trek failure.

I'd add Nemesis alongside Voyager on that list but otherwise I agree.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sash! posted:

I can't remember any star treks music outside of the themes and the end of BOBW Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7jbP1_H9sA

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

TheBigAristotle posted:

or the Klingon theme?

They're both exceptional, but the Klingon theme is catchier and more iconic. If you played them both to a room full of layman, I suspect that far more would know the Klingon music was from Star Trek. Of course, that could partly be because they reused it later. I especially like some of the weird instrumentation in the TMP score. WoK's music is fantastic (probably better all around), but it's a bit more traditional orchestral. All the crunchy clattering and droning in TMP can be a bit much at times, but when it works, it's arguably the best space music Star Trek ever had.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I always thought the TNG music in the first season or so was over rated heavily by this forum.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I was never as big on DS9 as I was on TOS and TNG. It's better than Voyager, by a long shot, but I'm not really either kind of Trek fan in that regard. By that time I was spoiled by B5 and Trek has never been top tier for me since. I pretty much rank the Trek shows in descending order from TOS through Voyager, with Enterprise an uptick at the end.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well, Trekkies are also terrible, it's just that they're mostly older now and Star Trek has been semi-dead for a long time. ST: Beyond was good but flopped in the box office because young people don't give a poo poo about Star Tracks and we're all becoming old farts here.

I did try watching Dr. Who and saw the first 2 seasons of the reboot and it was just awful. Awful. Burping farting green baby aliens. A lady who is just a piece of skin stretched out. Some guy got a door in his head to expose his brain. The only good one was the one with the gasmask kids. I think Doctor Who is not for me.

The RTD years with Eccleston and Tennant, and I'll be honest, especially the fandom, killed all my enthusiasm for Doctor Who. Even though I thought it got much better the first season after RTD left, I never ended up watching any more after that anyway. I grew up with the old show, but unless you can view it with the proper context it might be difficult to enjoy. You've got to recall the imaginative powers you had as a child to overcome the deficiencies and see what they meant to show you, not what the budget allowed them to show. And I'm not talking about like you have to do with B5; the old Doctor Who is like that times 10.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

TheBigAristotle posted:

or the Klingon theme?

The Mutara Battle score is perfect for that entire sequence, but the Klingon theme is absolutely perfect for that entire race and every scene they're in. It absolutely nails the proper tone and I can't imagine Klingon stuff without it. Even when it's used in little stings within larger scores, it still gives you that instant feeling of "oh poo poo, something KLINGON is happening!".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdNbVxMNFvk

I really love the music in the TNG movies, even Nemesis. Insurrection has the weakest score, but it still pairs well with the tone of the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That brings back memories. It was a big deal when I was a kid sitting in the theater and the Borg cube showed up to wreck everyone's poo poo like that.

Back in my day (!) you didn't have Borg this, Borg that. All you remembered was the Borg from TNG at a time when assimilating robotic automatons in giant, industrial cubic spaceships meant something, dammit!