Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Still rolling with the dumb catered ads discussion, Facebook apparently only cares that my job has "compliance" in the title (ignoring that the rest of the title confirms I'm a wormy little pencil pusher) and so I'm constantly bombarded with ads for "Compliance Officer" shirts covered in skulls and flames, and from there ads that are convinced I am a burly biker. Facebook algorithms have crafted such a life for me :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Today YouTube started exclusively giving me Spanish language ads. It's actually kinda interesting because normally I only ever see targeted ads for the young white male demographic, so I'm now getting to see things meant specifically to appeal to the American Hispanic population. Like there's a Hilary Clinton campaign ad that points out Donald Trump's "murderers and rapists" quote to appeal the listener not to vote for him.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I kind of love this. It's so dadaist, it even spells it out in the title.

I had one of those portable battery-powered Casio keyboards, kinda like the one he uses in the video but slightly bigger. The basic synth loop of that track was literally the first preset on the keyboard. Yeah. The whole song is basically low-effort keyboard presets.

Keep in mind that this was a pretty big hit. This isn't some obscure underground indie poo poo from the 80s. I still kind of can't quite grasp that this was a thing that mainstream radio stations regularly played, and even to this day sometimes do. I've heard it myself. And it wasn't even their only hit.

edit: Man, i just noticed that in the video i linked the singer's just chewing gum the whole time. Does not give a gently caress.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

HenryEx posted:

Keep in mind that this was a pretty big hit. This isn't some obscure underground indie poo poo from the 80s. I still kind of can't quite grasp that this was a thing that mainstream radio stations regularly played, and even to this day sometimes do. I've heard it myself. And it wasn't even their only hit.
The song is probably most well-known in the States from this 1997 VW commercial.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For some reason all the ads on my phone think I'm a senior citizen. Then I start getting spam about burial insurance and medicare supplements. Yesterday I got a registration packet for AARP in the mail.

Who the gently caress do these people think I am and who has been telling them about me. How does this weird information spread? It's like a misinformation virus.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Danger Mahoney posted:

For some reason all the ads on my phone think I'm a senior citizen. Then I start getting spam about burial insurance and medicare supplements. Yesterday I got a registration packet for AARP in the mail.

Who the gently caress do these people think I am and who has been telling them about me. How does this weird information spread? It's like a misinformation virus.

Is this your phone

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Danger Mahoney posted:

Yeah yeah, nobody wants to hear your stories about the Kaiser, granddad.

Why don't you go and shake your cane at those punk kids?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
God drat it I'm telling you I was just thirty, who are you people and where's my new coke I'm thirsty drat it all

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Non Serviam posted:

I honestly believe that RT usually interviews crazy Americans just to mock America.

Probably. The same as when you hear about Russians in English-language media it's generally going to be Putin, dash-cam videos, or someone climbing a tall thing with no safety equipment.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Facebook just admitted that their stats regarding user engagement with ads have been overestimated by up to 80%, :byewhore: internet advertising industry.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, nothing gives me better schadenfreude than when it comes out that internet advertising is entirely the Emperor's New Clothes, and is entirely ran on imaginary money.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'm no economist but that seems like a big deal

edit: ooooh video ads I thought it was like total impressions or whatever of all of FB advertising

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Advertising isn't about providing you with information, it's just about brand recognition.

I retained the music from the commercial, but I have no clue what the company was

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Ryoshi posted:

I think it's a pretty dumb move in marketing to keep the product/company named McAfee when John McAfee has lost his goddamn mind. Is he still wanted and hanging out in South America? I read some interview or something with him I think on Ars Technica and he was completely unhinged, he kept talking about this drug that he uses as an aphrodisiac and stuff like that.

As of 2013 (maybe 2014?) he was living in SE Portland. He lived in a condo above my old roommate's restaurant and she would run food up to him and his "ladies" every morning. He was super nice to her and tipped her well. Apparently he was exactly as odd and paranoid as people make him out to be, but still very cordial. He sent our household a really nice wine and cheese basket at Christmas, delivered by a gigantic man who wore sunglasses at 9:30 at night. tftwyw

not dumb moves in marketing: have the founder of your dumb antivirus company be a legitimately fascinating crazyperson

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Choco1980 posted:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, nothing gives me better schadenfreude than when it comes out that internet advertising is entirely the Emperor's New Clothes, and is entirely ran on imaginary money.

I agree with you, and I'm not naysaying, but when is the whole thing just going to collapse under the sheer inefficacy of itself? What's that going to take?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Radio Help posted:

As of 2013 (maybe 2014?) he was living in SE Portland. He lived in a condo above my old roommate's restaurant and she would run food up to him and his "ladies" every morning. He was super nice to her and tipped her well. Apparently he was exactly as odd and paranoid as people make him out to be, but still very cordial. He sent our household a really nice wine and cheese basket at Christmas, delivered by a gigantic man who wore sunglasses at 9:30 at night. tftwyw

not dumb moves in marketing: have the founder of your dumb antivirus company be a legitimately fascinating crazyperson

That's what I want my rich people to be: insane and interesting.

Flying around in jetpacks - not sponsoring someone to create lovely memes to help support your favourite policitcal candidate.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

cheerfullydrab posted:

I agree with you, and I'm not naysaying, but when is the whole thing just going to collapse under the sheer inefficacy of itself? What's that going to take?

Dot con bubble 2.0? It's gonna start when the advertisers decide to stop feeding the machine.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

FrozenVent posted:

Dot con bubble 2.0? It's gonna start when the advertisers decide to stop feeding the machine.

So never, then?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
They've already started the next phase with companies like Totinos and Arbys, where they just have their millennial interns post Undertale and Sonic memes on Twitter and throw (comparatively) tiny amounts of money at niche entertainment like podcasts and YouTube channels so people who think they're too smart for advertising to work on them are willingly consuming and sharing advertising because they identify with it.

Even in this very thread you have people saying that they go out of their way to watch ads just because GokuWeedlord420 or whoever on YouTube is actually doing the ad himself instead of just reading ad copy or having an ad play before his videos.

Guy Mann has a new favorite as of 16:18 on Sep 24, 2016

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

spog posted:

That's what I want my rich people to be: insane and interesting.

Flying around in jetpacks - not sponsoring someone to create lovely memes to help support your favourite policitcal candidate.

Also accused of rape and murder?

http://www.businessinsider.com/john-mcafee-documentary-gringo-belize-murder-allegations-2016-9

Edit. Has anyone seen this yet? I love good documentaries, but I haven't gotten around to this one

Redrum and Coke has a new favorite as of 17:58 on Sep 24, 2016

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

Seriously, internet advertising seems like a constantly inflating balloon that simply has to burst eventually, considering both the adblock wars, literally imaginary impressions for how effective video ads are on places like youtube, and the fact that pretty much every banner ad is ignored by all but 0.000001% of viewers, with an equally small amount of those viewers actually clicking on them with regularity, and anyone who honestly thinks that's money well spent is fooling themselves most of all.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

cheerfullydrab posted:

Wouldn't that be a bad thing? A lot of free sites depend on ad money. Maybe we should be hoping ad blockers don't continue to grow in popularity.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I think this article is really poorly written.

The statistic they bungled is "average length of time a viewer spent watching a video".
Rather than tracking everyone who clicked on the video at all, they only reported the data from people who watched for at least three seconds.
It's described as "artificially inflating" the length, so they we know they flat-out didn't count people who watched for less than three seconds and averaged everyone who wathed for 3+, rather than just treating 0-2 as 0 (which would be deflating.)

Technically, yes they did lie - the average amount of time a pair of eyeballs spent staring at the ad is shorter than what they reported - but the statistic they reported is absolutely accurate if you just rename it to something like "average length of time a viewer spent actually loving watching a video". Why the gently caress do advertisers care that they're not getting accurate data on how much they're paying to have some unknown number of schlubs watch their poo poo for two point nine seconds?

I guess I just don't see why it matters, and it must matter because it was written up like it was A Big Deal. What am I missing other than the fact that they did misreport?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

You missed the part where internet ad people are in a circlejerk and throwing fun money into the air, lying to each other at every turn until there's no more truth to how the industry actually succeeds or fails.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Phlegmish posted:

Wouldn't that be a bad thing? A lot of free sites depend on ad money. Maybe we should be hoping ad blockers don't continue to grow in popularity.

Maybe they should revamp the industry so that people aren't constantly trying to get AWAY from ads.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I think this article is really poorly written.

The statistic they bungled is "average length of time a viewer spent watching a video".
Rather than tracking everyone who clicked on the video at all, they only reported the data from people who watched for at least three seconds.
It's described as "artificially inflating" the length, so they we know they flat-out didn't count people who watched for less than three seconds and averaged everyone who wathed for 3+, rather than just treating 0-2 as 0 (which would be deflating.)

Technically, yes they did lie - the average amount of time a pair of eyeballs spent staring at the ad is shorter than what they reported - but the statistic they reported is absolutely accurate if you just rename it to something like "average length of time a viewer spent actually loving watching a video". Why the gently caress do advertisers care that they're not getting accurate data on how much they're paying to have some unknown number of schlubs watch their poo poo for two point nine seconds?

I guess I just don't see why it matters, and it must matter because it was written up like it was A Big Deal. What am I missing other than the fact that they did misreport?
Its probably a bunch of people patting each other on the back or not over *~our metrics~* in the end but playing games with population definition is exactly the sort of thing that gives statistics a bad name. If you're trying to make decisions based on engagement length it better have a known definition. If the population reported on is ?????? you can't even decide engagement is a bad metric or we should not treat engagement below n seconds as an impression.

Like if you are doing a statistical analysis, you want tails and outliers even if the summary data removes tails and outliers because the tails and outliers usually mean something important.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Johnny Aztec posted:

Maybe they should revamp the industry so that people aren't constantly trying to get AWAY from ads.

I feel like at this point a lot of the damage is done. If they magically made all ads malware free and unobtrusive tomorrow I still wouldn't disable ad block.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Danger Mahoney posted:

Because companies sell your information. About 10 years ago I signed up for a free trial and the employee forgot to change the default title from 'Mr' in the dropdown menu. Within a month, junk mail was arriving to Mr Lady Demelza, so it was pretty obvious that the company was making money from free trials by selling on data.

Except then another company started sending junk mail with a different - but common alternative - initial for my first name.

It got really weird when I received two polling cards: one in my name, and the other to this mis-gendered, mis-spelled version of me. This effectively allowed a typo to vote, which I felt was taking democratic principles a little too far. The local government official was very apologetic when I contacted them, but they never actually explained why they thought Mr Typo was a real person. Mr Typo was a mere 6 months old, had never signed up for any of the stupid offers, and only (as far as I know) existed in a junk mail database, so how did the election officials know about it? How did they know?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

the gently caress do advertisers care that they're not getting accurate data on how much they're paying to have some unknown number of schlubs watch their poo poo for two point

If enough people are starting to watch your poo poo and then abandoning it in less than 3 seconds that it significantly changes the average-time-spent-watching metric, that indicates your poo poo is lovely and you would probably find that data more useful than a metric that discards all the people who think your poo poo is lovely and instead tells you that everything is fine.

Edit: My brother just forwarded me an email he received from a recruiter. Subject line: "rear end. Construction Management Opportunity." You think you'd consider abbreviations like that before sending it out to thousands of people.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 22:55 on Sep 26, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
rear end, or even rear end't, seems a little suspect but I am endlessly entertained that rear end'y is just about the official shorthand for assembly.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It matters because it's misleading. The videos autoplay as soon as there's more than half of the window on the screen, and they start muted so it's quite possible to not even notice them while you're doing other things. This means that a statistic Facebook has been reporting as representative of engagement is more accurately representative of impressions at best. It doesn't mean anything to anyone outside the industry, but within the industry it's kind of a big deal

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Johnny Aztec posted:

I hate to say "Netflix of ____", which advertisers need to stop saying about every loving subscription service, but if I had to pay $10 a month for unlimited youtube without ads and creators were properly compensated, then I'd pay it in a second. I am not opposed to Internet thuggery, but I also want to make sure that people get the money they have earned for doing things right. RedTube YouTube Red was a half-assed piece of poo poo that had too little to offer to subscribers and didn't do enough to support the greater creating community that YouTube relies on

It might seem insane, but I have started watching videos on my PS4 when I'm going to sleep, since the PS4 won't ever stop autoplaying youtube videos. That way, the channels I am subscribed to get ~8 hours of views with 100% ad engagement while I sleep. It's half-assed penance for "stealing" content during the day, and a sincere attempt to make sure that my favorite content creators get paid for creating content that I consume.
No joke, I once let it run just to see when my system would automatically shutdown, but it ran for ~30 hours straight until I decided to stop the video myself

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Plastik posted:

It matters because it's misleading. The videos autoplay as soon as there's more than half of the window on the screen, and they start muted so it's quite possible to not even notice them while you're doing other things. This means that a statistic Facebook has been reporting as representative of engagement is more accurately representative of impressions at best. It doesn't mean anything to anyone outside the industry, but within the industry it's kind of a big deal

Exactly. 3 seconds is a ridiculously short amount of time. It probably takes longer often for me to even mentally process what I'm looking at in a video. If they went by like a ten or twenty second metric, they'd probably have FAR more accurate data. It's all imaginary, and the points don't count.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
The funny thing is most people putting videos on Facebook that pay attention to those kinds of metrics have known that 3 seconds counts as a view on Facebook for ages, but apparently nobody advertising on the website bothered to check.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

To be honest, even of the non-annoying Internet ads out there, there's probably 0.1% that I would even voluntarily click on. Maybe subconsciously there's a recognition effect going on, as with regular advertising, but I don't think I've ever made a purchase based on an Internet ad. The same's probably true for most people here. I'd say it's in our interest to keep the fiction alive so we keep getting free content.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
They originally set the whole thing up to lie about metrics. Combined with their rehosting policy (if you link a video they automatically rehost it and they even used to delete your link) it allowed them to say that people "view more videos" on Facebook than on YouTube. It's a belligerent lie by any reasonable metric, but it's still technically true.

Now the story is recirculating (it's two years old) because they recently admitted that they were miscalculating the length of time an average user viewed a video. Specifically, they were telling advertisers a number of people who viewed their video, which is everyone who saw the video at all, regardless of duration, and then they were telling them how long people watched it for, which was an average of all the people who viewed the video for more than three seconds.

The problem is that the dashboard was set up in a way that implied these two numbers were working off the same set, not two different ones, which led advertisers to believe people were viewing their ads a lot longer than they were. This changes the relative value of Facebook ads in the marketplace, which makes a lot of advertisers feel scammed.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's fun seeing advertisers get scammed.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

I hate to say "Netflix of ____", which advertisers need to stop saying about every loving subscription service, but if I had to pay $10 a month for unlimited youtube without ads and creators were properly compensated, then I'd pay it in a second.
So would I, under the condition that my :tenbux: goes to the people I actually watch, and not like 90% to Pewdiepie because 90% of all views are his.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

A lot of people making online content have set up Patreon (or equivalent) accounts now anyway, which seems like a much more sustainable way to support content creation online than banner ads. If you want to support someone online, throwing them $5 a month is far more money than they'd get than the ad revenue from idling a PS4 on their videos all night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah some former IGN guys quit and created a Patreon and they make over $20,000 a month. That's on top of the money they get from Youtube ads and merchandise. It's definitely possible if you have a dedicated audience.