Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hironobu Kageyama of JAM Project is going to voice Ex-Aid's GamerDriver.

Ex-Aid please be radical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Oh my god. I hope Ex-Aid is a good show. :eyepop:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i just hope that it isn't boring

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Unfortunately, Kageyama involvement doesn't necessitate a good series, given he did do the (awesome) vocal tracks for notorious schlock anime OAV M.D. Geist. The hilarious thing to me is that M.D. Geist of all things, as I found out semi-recently, is the first thing Riku Sanjou (the writer for W/Fourze/Kyoruger/Drive among other things) wrote. Would not have guessed that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

gourdcaptain posted:

Unfortunately, Kageyama involvement doesn't necessitate a good series, given he did do the (awesome) vocal tracks for notorious schlock anime OAV M.D. Geist.

Um, I'm not sure how your first thought leads to the latter one.

MD Geist is art.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Serious Frolicking posted:

i just hope that it isn't boring
That's where I'm at, too, I think.

If it's an entertaining trainwreck, I can live with that. What I can't live with is it being dull.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
So, the Ghost finale just reused the suit of the badguy from the movie, the ladies from the Kamen Rider eyecons were the Great Eye all along, Yurusen is a cat, and the evil Ex-Aid cameo stole the show.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It was a surprisingly decent finale. Not amazing, but for a show that sucked for most of its airtime, it was acceptable. The Great Eyeser is a lame final boss, but so is every other enemy in this series so whatever. I liked the giant form, and how it just flicked Makoto and Alain away because they weren't important, might as well get that over with. I didn't like that it was one-shot by Takeru after going through another stupid "oh hey this feeling exists" moment but I'm accustomed at this point. The Rider...sorry, not a Rider anymore, form had a much better fight, I liked the heroes joining in even if it made no sense and, while it was a complete curb-stomp, at least it was a cool one, which is far more than I can say for any other of Takeru's fights.

Thinking about it without watching, it really had all of Ghost's flaws: an incredible amount of Takeru cocksucking (YOU'RE OUR HERO TAKERU, WE BELIEVE YOU CAN DO IT, IF IT'S TAKERU THEN IT'S POSSIBLE, HE HAS INFINITE POTENTIAL WOOOO), one-sided fights all the time, basically no role from Makoto and Alain (they don't even have a role with the mooks, they're left behind so Genm can show off, jesus), a cheesy feelings moment followed by a new power, and of course, a bunch of deaths that end up being meaningless because they're just revived afterwards - not to mention how Javert's heroic sacrifice felt incredibly forced. But it had...I dunno, style, I guess? Something that was certainly lacking in previous episodes. Even Takeru's old catchphrases felt a lot less grating, probably because they haven't been used in ages and they actually fit the moment, not to mention how Takeru's actor tried to actually put emotion behind them for once.

That said holy poo poo Takeru being the key meant nothing at all and was never explained. loving incredible writing there.

Since this is the actual finale, I think we can say without a doubt that believing in Ghost was our mistake. It had potential, not infinite but quite a bit of it, and managed to misuse it entirely. It burned bright for a very short period and then went back to being terrible. But my hope is eternal and undying for Ex-Aid.

Gotenks0053
Sep 2, 2011
Man, I miss when Zyuoh The World was cool :saddowns:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm cautiously optimistic about Kamen Rider Trashboy. It looks like it's gonna be campy as hell, which can be fun if they double down on it enough.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Gotenks0053 posted:

Man, I miss when Zyuoh The World was cool :saddowns:

Misao is a super pure boy and he must be protected.

I kind of relate the Zyuohger crew to a family, and seeing Misao get inspired by ridiculous things such as Amu flirting at him, or Yamato being nice to him, just makes me go, "You can do it, dude! :unsmith: "

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I like Misao but Utchy was a much better "anxious 6th ranger."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Crossposting from CineD

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i thought those looked bad but the taglines in the tweets are a million times worse

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think they mostly look bad because of the intense zoom and lovely teaser angles. The Triceratops is the clearest one and I think it looks pretty alright. I'm more positive about these on first glance than I am about the suits.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Waffleman_ posted:

I think they mostly look bad because of the intense zoom and lovely teaser angles. The Triceratops is the clearest one and I think it looks pretty alright. I'm more positive about these on first glance than I am about the suits.

The best part about Triceratops is how few fucks Billy appears to give :allears:

I really hope this dude just channels Will Smith circa Men In Black the whole movie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Cross posting my thoughts from the PR thread-

I hate the lack of eyes.

The Zords, even in MMPR, were alive to some degree.

Removing the eyes in favor of mesh or, apparently in the Mammoth's case, exposed gears(?!?!) just dehumanizes them even more.

The one nice thing I can say is that it looks like the T-Rex will be standing up right, which would be a neat little nod. No loving clue what Jason is standing on in that picture though.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

Burkion posted:

Cross posting my thoughts from the PR thread-

I hate the lack of eyes.

The Zords, even in MMPR, were alive to some degree.

Removing the eyes in favor of mesh or, apparently in the Mammoth's case, exposed gears(?!?!) just dehumanizes them even more.

The one nice thing I can say is that it looks like the T-Rex will be standing up right, which would be a neat little nod. No loving clue what Jason is standing on in that picture though.

I think Jason's standing on the T-rex tail.

I agree I hate the dead eyes. I'm hoping they're only that way when the zords are inactive and the eyes light-up when they turn on.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Just a reminder that the original Yellow Ranger, Thuy Trang, died in a car accident.

Please look at the yellow ranger tweet now.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Pyroi posted:

Just a reminder that the original Yellow Ranger, Thuy Trang, died in a car accident.

Please look at the yellow ranger tweet now.

Oh holy crap, I didn't even catch that. :stare:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't even read the Yellow Ranger tweet because this is just inane dribble.

But Holy poo poo seriously? You can't say they shouldn't know better because it's her loving character that's being rebooted.

Goddamn that is some serious "We Do Not Give A poo poo" right there.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
when was there ever a sign that anyone involved gave a poo poo? it is nostalgia bait. it doesn't have to be good to get people who remember enjoying power rangers as kids to go see it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The random intern writing promotional tweets probably is not aware of the circumstances behind the death of a minor actor on a mildly popular 90s television show for kids.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

ImpAtom posted:

The random intern writing promotional tweets probably is not aware of the circumstances behind the death of a minor actor on a mildly popular 90s television show for kids.

It was actually really wildly popular when it first came out in a way that it cannot replicate, mainly because it caught on every trend at once. I remember huge crowds at the toy stores and notices put up about the availability of the zords.

However, they're doing a really poor job of capturing any nostalgia. Everything about it seems really ashamed of its source material and desperate to be taken seriously when it's lifting names and concepts for a toy commercial for six year olds.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Acne Rain posted:

It was actually really wildly popular when it first came out in a way that it cannot replicate, mainly because it caught on every trend at once. I remember huge crowds at the toy stores and notices put up about the availability of the zords.

However, they're doing a really poor job of capturing any nostalgia. Everything about it seems really ashamed of its source material and desperate to be taken seriously when it's lifting names and concepts for a toy commercial for six year olds.

that's because it is for adults who watched the show as kids. they will take their own children, and children are idiots so anything with robots and explosions should be enough to get them to want the accompanying toy line. there is nothing there for adult toku fans, and why would there be considering what a tiny population that is outside of japan?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It's more like only a very small number of people who remember the MMPR phenomenon are aware that Thuy Trang is dead. The show does not hire big names nor did "where are they now?" too often before the Disney handover.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The thing is that it rings more of Transformers or TMNT in that they're trying to cash in on an old franchise by making it harder and edgier since that's what primarily kids (specifically boys) like nowadays while hoping to get some extra nostalgia bux rather than being any sort of celebration or spin-off or heavily referencing media aimed primarily towards older fans.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It's not impossible for there to be cameos or other little details like that hidden in there, if they do it's not likely to be part of the film's marketing campaign. But the old show is almost blindly 90s now. You could sneak some old actors in here and there if they're willing, but I wouldn't expect a smoothie to pour on Bulk's head to an electronic tuba, or transitions accompanied by power rock riffs, or Mr Caplan's wig to go flying off his head as the height of comedy.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I don't really care about it "being true to the original show".
I just feel like it's not going be a fun movie at all.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Acne Rain posted:

I wonder if it's going to be grim-n-gritty and devoid of fun....or they try so hard to be hip and fun that it becomes devoid of fun

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

It's not impossible for there to be cameos or other little details like that hidden in there

Cameos are a no go. Walter Jones, the original Black Ranger, said that none of the original Rangers were approached for any sort of appearance.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
If there's just a brief appearance by the original Bulk & Skull actors (because those guys have endured everything and are almost a pillar of the brand now) and the ending credits theme is composed by Ron Wasserman, then I'm sold. Even if the rest of the movie can be an 80 minute long toy commercial of CGI actors that ends with Rita telling Jason that she's his sister (might as well throw in the Astronema story since it's one of the better localization plots.)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Waffleman_ posted:

Cameos are a no go. Walter Jones, the original Black Ranger, said that none of the original Rangers were approached for any sort of appearance.

Not even JDF? surprising.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Craptacular! posted:

If there's just a brief appearance by the original Bulk & Skull actors (because those guys have endured everything and are almost a pillar of the brand now) and the ending credits theme is composed by Ron Wasserman, then I'm sold. Even if the rest of the movie can be an 80 minute long toy commercial of CGI actors that ends with Rita telling Jason that she's his sister (might as well throw in the Astronema story since it's one of the better localization plots.)

i hope the tuba plays, because the tuba theme is the best thing in the world

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

jivjov posted:

Not even JDF? surprising.

Yeah, especially considering that being Tommy is kinda all JDF has at this point.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asPTAL5xk18

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

At least Dino Charge has been good from all accounts, and if they can keep that going into Ninja Steel, it has a very high chance of actually being better than Nin2 (granted, it's not a high bar).

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Waffleman_ posted:

At least Dino Charge has been good from all accounts, and if they can keep that going into Ninja Steel, it has a very high chance of actually being better than Nin2 (granted, it's not a high bar).

A swift kick in the teeth would be better than Ninninger. The concept at least sounds legit fun though, so I'm hopeful it'll be Actually Pretty Good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If they go all-in on the gameshow conceit, it'll be crazy-go-nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Acne Rain posted:

every piece of info about the movie indicates that it will fail both of those goals

• Locked thread