Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Beat the game, ending spoilers.

Boy, that sure felt like a good ending to Apollo's main character arc. It kind of feels like he's at the same point Phoenix was at at the end of AA3. While I doubt we've seen the last of him, I don't think he's going to be as in focus as he was, which begs the question, where next? I guess it Athena's turn? Will we see a new lawyer join the agency to be the new Athena as she becomes the new Apollo? Also, with Ema shipped off to Ku'rain too, that paves the way for the big return of one Dick Gumshoe!

Also I guess Phoenix never told Trucy and Apollo they were siblings because their mother didn't want it? Can we assume they've been told now? I wanted to see that on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Like hell they aren't going to save that as a big dramatic "reveal" for the final case of whatever game it finally comes up in.

And I'm really hoping Athena will be getting a greater focus in the future; I loved the Mood Matrix stuff from DD (well, mostly the bit where Simon bullshits it on the fly). And as obtuse as some of the Soul Mirror segments got, I'm... Hesitantly optimistic for their inevitable return?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The Mood Matrix is my favorite gimmick in these games

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I've never been a fan of Apollo's perceive, especially after I had to perceive Spark Brushel's sweaty armpits

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

My only problem with the Mood Matrix in this game was that emotions only go out of control twice and the solution is really obvious both times so you barely get to hear the amazing Running Wild theme. :(

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Barring a new attorney, I wonder how they'll justify a tutorial in the next game.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I like the insight mechanics in concept, but in practice I've been screwed over too many times by presenting the right thing, just on the wrong frame (like, the right word was there and everything but it wasn't completely faded in or whatever), or presenting, e.g., sight when they wanted sound even though they both effectively prove the same thing.'

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Barring a new attorney, I wonder how they'll justify a tutorial in the next game.

A mock trial in Trucy's magic show.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

mabels big day posted:

I came across the gamexplain review of this game, and the dude was harsher than i was on it. I agree with him though about most of it, though I think case 3's twist was really good.

I find it very strange to call case 5 the worst in the series in a world where AA4 exists. I didn't really agree with a lot of his negative points, though fingerprinting was by far the worst thing this game had to offer, and insight could get pretty annoying.

They didn't really retcon Apollo's character at all since he was a blank slate coming into AA5, all they did was add something to it. It's as much of a retcon as Phoenix being on trial in 3-1 was.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eh,, it's the usual "I played this game years ago and forgave all its mistakes but the new game is bad for doing the same things because I'm older now and my tastes have changed" stuff.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

When's the full DLC case coming out?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Alabaster White posted:

When's the full DLC case coming out?

One week from tomorrow

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's weird how much worse the fingerprinting is in this game than it was in 1-5. Like it feels way less smooth mechanically and takes way longer.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Oh god you just made me remember fingerprinting. Both times I had to do it severely ruined my fun mood. Not sure how they hosed that one up.

Hey, remember 3d evidence examination? What happened to that?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Just beat case 4 odd how there was no investigation, just a 2-part trial. I had heard of this, something like Athena getting half a case, so I assumed it meant that the rest of Case 4 would be done by Apollo and would technically follow from what Athena did, kinda like 3-2 where Luke Atmey tried to get a guilty verdict on the theft part of the case in order to have an alibi for the murder. Still, guess it's really neat that Athena got her own case and with Simon helping, it was pretty fun though I didn't like the prosecutor during it, you'd think that by then he'd start seeing that he was trying to send the wrong people to hell and would thus be on the bad side of the holy mother or whatever. I'm ready for Case 5 to redeem him and annoy me.

Digging all the mechanics tho, haven't had a problem with insights and I really dig all the gimmicks... but the fingerprint stuff is definitely worse than in previous games. Guess it's time to tackle the final case. Also why must I live in this Geiru Toneido fanart-less world? :negative:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Fingerprinting in this one was way too sensitive, especially if you have a new 3DS. I can't tell you how many times I wasn't able to dust because my hand was right near the mic. only a minor nuisance though

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The worst part about fingerprinting was if you had powder on the edge of the screen and it didn't get blown away and you thought you had a print but you didn't.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'd put the fingerprinting about par with how annoying it could be in AJ and 1-5, because those could get tedious with trying to fill in those missing two pixels worth to make it a detectable print.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

Momomo posted:

I find it very strange to call case 5 the worst in the series in a world where AA4 exists. I didn't really agree with a lot of his negative points, though fingerprinting was by far the worst thing this game had to offer, and insight could get pretty annoying.

They didn't really retcon Apollo's character at all since he was a blank slate coming into AA5, all they did was add something to it. It's as much of a retcon as Phoenix being on trial in 3-1 was.

I think a lot of the blowback could have been avoided simply by lumping the fourth game in with the first three when they were released for download. Even if he's the best of the PW Crew, Apollo's backstory's convoluted as hell and barely ever touched upon in AA5. It's absolutely understandable how contrived his material can feel here.

Also, fuuuuuuuuuck fingerprinting. It's soooooo poorly executed.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Digging all the mechanics tho, haven't had a problem with insights and I really dig all the gimmicks... but the fingerprint stuff is definitely worse than in previous games. Guess it's time to tackle the final case. Also why must I live in this Geiru Toneido fanart-less world? :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CvqmD0CZao

except clowns

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Just finished SoJ.
I enjoyed Athena's case, granted that's mostly because Blackquill was cracking me up and I enjoy the mood matrix gimmick.

I do wish Athena had gotten to have more of a role in the final case. Would've been cool for it to be a big team effort with all 3 attorneys.

Dhurke :smith:

I can't believe Apollo and Truth STILL don't know that they're related or that their mother is alive.

I thought Apollo's biological dad was one of the other Gramarye magicians though. One was Trucy's dad and the other was Apollo's. Guess I remembered that wrong.
Would have been cool to get some more details about Jove though.

I'm surprised we didn't end up needing Maya to actually channel the Holy mother for some reason.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Oh hey I have a question about SoJ

whole game spoilers

Did Ga'ran just not have a breakdown or was it so underwhelming I've completely forgotten it already? It's kinda weird when one note killers like Roger Retinz or Paul Atishon get awesome, memorable breakdowns but not the final boss.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

voltcatfish posted:

Oh hey I have a question

whole game spoilers

Did Ga'ran just not have a breakdown or was it so underwhelming I've completely forgotten it already? It's kinda weird when one note killers like Roger Retinz or Paul Atishon get awesome, memorable breakdowns but not the final boss.

it was pretty underwhelming. She tried doing a channeling, but nothing happened.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

Oh hey I have a question about SoJ

whole game spoilers

She danced and then fell unconscious. Nahyuta later implies she went crazy after it though, and now thinks she's the Holy Mother. But you don't get to see it.

On the other hand, the breakdown scene begins with Apollo pointing at her so hard he creates a gale of wind that sends a bunch of guards tumbling to the floor and almost pushes her off the prosecution bench. Which was pretty cool.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

SyntheticPolygon posted:

She danced and then fell unconscious. Nahyuta later implies she went crazy after it though, and now thinks she's the Holy Mother. But you don't get to see it.

On the other hand, the breakdown scene begins with Apollo pointing at her so hard he creates a gale of wind that sends a bunch of guards tumbling to the floor and almost pushes her off the prosecution bench. Which was pretty cool.

My memory might be a little foggy, but I don't recall the "final boss" breakdowns being quite as over-the-top or cartoonish as a lot of other breakdowns in other cases, with the exception of 2-4 and 5-5. The final breakdown in 6-5 felt pretty fitting to me.

Also, Apollo mastered and surpassed Dhurke's dragon glare, because having Chords of Steel just wasn't enough for him. Apollo is OP, please nerf.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I thought that was more force of personality than wind, kinda like Dhurke's Dragon Stare, since he was Dhurke's spiritual successor.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Carlosologist posted:

friend, you've literally seen nothing yet

I think I'm midway through the day 1 trial in Case 5 now. This has gotten... interesting.

Apollo vs. Phoenix. Yeah, it's happening. Though even after we proved that we had the real Founder's Orb, he's not giving in just yet. Just what is Phoenix's game here? Is this a retread of 2-4, and Maya got kidnapped again? Or is it because we haven't found the real killer yet, and he's secretly trying to expose them?

Also was surprised at the reveal of the true identity of "Sarge". That wasn't quite what I was expecting from the personality.

I don't trust that politician. Or "Paul Attision", as the case may be(dear god, that name pun). I'm surprised they haven't busted out a "make Kurain great again" joke. Incidentally, I'm suspecting that this "benefactor" they keep mentioning is that crooked justice minister from Kura'in, since they seem to be setting him up as the main villain.

Speaking of Kura'in, I'm guessing we'll be getting back there eventually, since the Kura'in characters need closure to their arcs. Either we're going to Case 6 for the first time outside of DLCs, or this trial is just the prelude.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Well Manicured Man posted:

My memory might be a little foggy, but I don't recall the "final boss" breakdowns being quite as over-the-top or cartoonish as a lot of other breakdowns in other cases, with the exception of 2-4 and 5-5.

Uh, you're forgetting the most emotionally restrained individual in the entire series.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Not to mention the endboss of PW3.

don't give me lip, godot was the epilogue

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

sprites >>>> 3d models

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

My memory might be a little foggy, but I don't recall the "final boss" breakdowns being quite as over-the-top or cartoonish as a lot of other breakdowns in other cases, with the exception of 2-4 and 5-5. The final breakdown in 6-5 felt pretty fitting to me.

Also, Apollo mastered and surpassed Dhurke's dragon glare, because having Chords of Steel just wasn't enough for him. Apollo is OP, please nerf.

1-5? Like, the only one that this seems right for is... AJ-4.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Final breakdown
Ga'ran's breakdown is understated because she her self is all pomp and circumstance. For a showy despot, the means of humiliating her best would be to have her flounder so they had her pathetically try and fail and even her fanboys realised she's full of poo poo.

Thematically, it's good but I do wish it were showy though

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

mabels big day posted:

sprites >>>> 3d models

Normally I'd say this too, but the animations are some drat fluid and the camera angles do a lot for the presentation.

Uh the Best Breakdown is Kristoph's second one and it's also the most over-the-top and hammy breakdown in the series.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It kind of gets glossed over, but Apollo Justice was definitely the best looking game in the series. The sprites in that game were just lovely, and it's especially noticeable if you replay it after having played DD or SoJ. 3D Apollo is still cool because he got a bunch of good investigation phase animations, but Trucy and Klavier look noticeably worse.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

:captainpop: holy poo poo the new game is out how did this sneak past.

How are the moderato and allegro this time around this is important. :allears:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

The music in general is drat good but that just comes with the territory.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cloofish posted:

Uh the Best Breakdown is Kristoph's second one and it's also the most over-the-top and hammy breakdown in the series.

You say that when Aristotle Means and Manfred von Karma's breakdowns exist. Not to mention Pees'lubn Andistan'dhin trashing the stage :rock:.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

cloofish posted:

The music in general is drat good but that just comes with the territory.

I still think the music was better when it was more chiptuney/techno-y and less orchestral. Except "Objection", that one sounds pretty good with strings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkSu8Xh02Z8

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I wonder what Athena's theme would sound like as a chiptune. I like both iterations

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Lurdiak posted:

I still think the music was better when it was more chiptuney/techno-y and less orchestral. Except "Objection", that one sounds pretty good with strings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkSu8Xh02Z8

I always thought it was weird they used the AA3 theme for Phoenix in these. Even at the end of AA3 when you're taking down Godot, they switched to the AA1 Objection theme. I always sorta thought of the AA3 theme as Mia's, since it's associated with her first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The easy answer is that the current series composer is the dude who did AA3's OST, Noriyuki Iwadare. I miss Masakazu Sugimori too, though Iwadare did a real good job with the Investigations games.