Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Godholio posted:

These U-2s were built in the 80s

Huh, that's even more surprising. I assumed they'd just been kept around like the B-52s. Did Lockheed somehow get paid to keep the tooling around to build new ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
One U-2 pilot confirmed dead, the other injured.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I suspect they kept it on their own, expecting follow on orders; remember, that was an era where aircraft were replaced every few years. Suggesting airframes would fly for fifty years or more would've gotten you locked in a padded room. They're actually still trying to sell the DOD on an upgraded model with a lot of shared components.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Duke Chin posted:

:stonk: god drat that dude got lucky - hope his hand/arm is okay.

I was thinking more about his head - if you look the very top of his head is barely sticking up above the cockpit, it looks like the wing of the other plane pushed his head down a bit when it went over. I'm guessing the fuselage behind his head pushed the wing up just enough to make it just skim the top of his skull. I'd be worried about a concussion or neck issues at least.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The video is posted to the pilot's youtube account. His description has a great explanation of what's going on.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

The video is posted to the pilot's youtube account. His description has a great explanation of what's going on.

The only part of his description that makes me, with hindsight obviously, cringe is how the gently caress do you not shrink down and go fetal position after the first two planes rip by?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

I don't understand why the other plane didn't brake or try to avoid the non-moving plane in front of him earlier. Maybe it looked like it was in motion from a distance or something?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Inacio posted:

I don't understand why the other plane didn't brake or try to avoid the non-moving plane in front of him earlier. Maybe it looked like it was in motion from a distance or something?

Hard to see over a tail dragger and you can't just stop on a time if you see the other plane when you start rotating.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Inacio posted:

I'm gonna hazard a guess and say it's probably not the easiest thing to stop a raceplane from takeoff throttle in the space given. Plus, we don't know if he was braking or not and he didn't hit the cockpit, so at the end of the day all that matters is both pilots are alive and well (hand notwithstanding) :)

Also what they said^

marumaru
May 20, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

Hard to see over a tail dragger

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Probably the reason

Spaced God posted:

I'm gonna hazard a guess and say it's probably not the easiest thing to stop a raceplane from takeoff throttle in the space given.

I did say earlier :v:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Just got an email from an actual PhD who wants an explanation for some discrepancies he's seeing in the flight data we recorded. It seems that sometimes, just sometimes, the radar altimeter parameter and the pressure altitude parameter are different from one another.

:suicide:

Email him a white paper or something describing cosmic ray effect on airliner electronics. That should keep him busy.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

:stonk:

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
I'm not sure what type of escape mechanism the AH-64 has for inverted recoveries but if it doesn't have something to blow the panels off, those dudes might be toast...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSv-rvGrkgU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Thom Richard seems to have poo poo luck with his airplanes on the ground.

He's the owner/pilot of Precious Metal (a Griffon powered P-51 with counter-rotating props that ran in the Unlimited class), which was destroyed by a fire on the ground while flying to Reno last year, and obviously his Formula 1 airplane didn't fare very well either.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

McDeth posted:

I'm not sure what type of escape mechanism the AH-64 has for inverted recoveries but if it doesn't have something to blow the panels off, those dudes might be toast...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSv-rvGrkgU

Man it's gotta suck to be the gunner seeing all that water in your windshield knowing the idiot in the backseat is about to give you a hard bath.

σηκώσει σας γαμημένο ηλίθιο!

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

So AWACS goons, is balls-five a good or bad tail?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Isn't it either Balls 5 or Balls 8 with the constant electrical trouble? I remember someone in here worked on that particular plane or something.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Forums Terrorist posted:

Isn't it either Balls 5 or Balls 8 with the constant electrical trouble? I remember someone in here worked on that particular plane or something.

Balls 9 (83-0009) was the electrical piece of poo poo, and the last USAF E-3 off the assembly line. The one before it, Balls 8 (83-0008) is the one that had the hard landing at Nellis in 2008 or 09 and was a total loss. Balls 5 is a mid-production run jet. I have no particular recollection of it being reliable or not, which means it was probably about average. However, that screencap says it's an E-3G now, which is the major upgrade from the Block 30/35 E-3 B and C model to the Block 40/45 G model. Which means it's fresh from the maintenance depot, which means it's a steaming pile of poo poo for the next 12 months until the maintainers get it sorted.

Edit: I bet they were just controlling SCANG F-16s right off the coast. Those dudes were always good to work with, and their airspace is awesome. I never had any issues with ATC making things more difficult than absolutely necessary. It was a good day when we'd find out we were scheduled to work with Swamp Fox.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 21, 2016

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
If it just came out of Depot, it's either gonna be a peach or a total heap of poo poo for at least a year (LOL GIVE IT TO ALASKA, LET THEM SORT IT). There's no in between.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Balls 9 (83-0009) was the electrical piece of poo poo, and the last USAF E-3 off the assembly line. The one before it, Balls 8 (83-0008) is the one that had the hard landing at Nellis in 2008 or 09 and was a total loss. Balls 5 is a mid-production run jet. I have no particular recollection of it being reliable or not, which means it was probably about average. However, that screencap says it's an E-3G now, which is the major upgrade from the Block 30/35 E-3 B and C model to the Block 40/45 G model. Which means it's fresh from the maintenance depot, which means it's a steaming pile of poo poo for the next 12 months until the maintainers get it sorted.

Edit: I bet they were just controlling SCANG F-16s right off the coast. Those dudes were always good to work with, and their airspace is awesome. I never had any issues with ATC making things more difficult than absolutely necessary. It was a good day when we'd find out we were scheduled to work with Swamp Fox.

JSTARS depot recently sent back an aircraft with the combat radar radome filled with water.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 21, 2016

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Balls 7 is my favorite AWACS. She was my deployed jet.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Dannywilson posted:

If it just came out of Depot, it's either gonna be a peach or a total heap of poo poo for at least a year (LOL GIVE IT TO ALASKA, LET THEM SORT IT). There's no in between.

I've been watching too much Drag Race :cripes:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

JSTARS deport recently sent back an aircraft with the combat radar radome filled with water.

I love this story.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Balls 7 is my favorite AWACS. She was my deployed jet.

0556. That jet got quick turned for like a week straight without a single complaint while *number redacted* others sat on the desert ramp, broke as poo poo. I never, EVER, had a flight on 556 that had a problem.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Im pretty sure 0552 was the boom killer we had in Alaska.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I wish I could remember which FE drew KC-135 silhouettes on the nose gear door in sharpie.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yes! That was the main boom killer. 0552 felt like it had a claim to the throne.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Godholio posted:

I wish I could remember which FE drew KC-135 silhouettes on the nose gear door in sharpie.

A real hero, that's who.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

holocaust bloopers posted:

Yes! That was the main boom killer. 0552 felt like it had a claim to the throne.

How were they breaking tankers?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

CommieGIR posted:

JSTARS depot recently sent back an aircraft with the combat radar radome filled with water.

We got one Hawkeye back from a major mod with new radios, a glass cockpit, and a full can of 7-Up installed behind a cockpit panel.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Duke Chin posted:

Man it's gotta suck to be the gunner seeing all that water in your windshield knowing the idiot in the backseat is about to give you a hard bath.

σηκώσει σας γαμημένο ηλίθιο!

It's ok, Germany will buy the Greeks a new one

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CommieGIR posted:

An MH-47 came into BGAD for mod and it turned out that the piss tube had been draining into the ramp and there were gallons of stale urine sloshing around in there.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

a full can of 7-Up installed behind a cockpit panel.

... still closed, I hope ...?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
http://i.imgur.com/glbxHdk.gifv

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ehnus posted:

... still closed, I hope ...?

Evidently.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
When I was working backshop for the AWACS, I one time took apart a pilot's/CP's comms box and found a half can's worth of dried soda and what looked to be 500 calories of potato chips inside. How it got there I have no idea.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^I've heard of ziploc'd sandwiches being found behind interior fuselage panels. I know for a fact that when ceiling panels fall, anyone who gets hit signs the back before putting it back up.

tactlessbastard posted:

How were they breaking tankers?

Holly Bloops will correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding (at least, this is how it was explained to me at the time) is that the boom latches into the receptacle on the receiver. Some rear end in a top hat jets, like 0355, refuse to release the boom on command. However, if the receiver pulls back beyond the approved range of motion for the boom (or in any direction, I guess), the result is a "brute force disconnect." That requires several hours of maintenance to manually inspect some of the odds and ends inside the boom. That tanker's mission is immediately over and they're RTB and mx is pissed.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Godholio posted:

^I've heard of ziploc'd sandwiches being found behind interior fuselage panels. I know for a fact that when ceiling panels fall, anyone who gets hit signs the back before putting it back up.

This was inside a sealed LRU, panels are one thing, but this took taking the LRU out, then like 7 or 8 screws to take the thing apart. HOW DID THE CHIPS GET IN THERE.

This is still mind boggling to me like 15 years after it happened.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dannywilson posted:

This was inside a sealed LRU, panels are one thing, but this took taking the LRU out, then like 7 or 8 screws to take the thing apart. HOW DID THE CHIPS GET IN THERE.

This is still mind boggling to me like 15 years after it happened.

They were in there from assembly? Or, the last time it was refurbished.

These are high tech, high skilled workers. Imagine whats in the panels of your car or house... I've seen like, half a case of beer get left in the spaces between drywall framing and I've only been to a couple of construction sites.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Murgos posted:

These are high tech, high skilled workers. Imagine whats in the panels of your car or house... I've seen like, half a case of beer get left in the spaces between drywall framing and I've only been to a couple of construction sites.

I find that implausible, given the drywallers I know. Reason being: your story involves a full beer and a drywaller presumably being in the same place for some length of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Murgos posted:

These are high tech, high skilled workers.
You sweet summer child