Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Since people here are talking about the next step for ES with AI i want to talk about Organic Factions mod. A alpha (or more accuretly a demo) is out trying to make Skyrim factions act in a smarter way and do more things even when the player is not there. It is partly a AI change and modders recourse. One author made a vigilant of Stendarr mod for it but put it down due to not being pleased by it. However the AI exists in a quest mod with certain followers and Organic factions exists as a Forsworn standalone(one specific group not all forsworn). There is a lot to read and test out, but basically EtherDynamics AI seems to make his smarter NPCs beat the odds by healing, sticking close to each other etc. vs some Forsworn who usually spread out more and act less organized. You expect players to beat the odds, but it is more interesting when NPCs do it.

The cool thing about the Forsworn group in the Organic Faction demo (if the end results lives up to his words) is that the NPCs can level up and the highest level one might become a leader. This leader might form an alliance with other factions, go to war against them and conquer territory etc. to name a few things. Currently the level cap is 30, but if new things are released soon we might see a cool new trend in modding. Here is a video where the author talks about it. I am quite skeptical tbh but that is to be expected with any non-profit ambitious project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCXEsoDA5Cc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

It is not dynamic at all. It makes LOD look depry all the time even when you look at it straight. I prefer more fog with NVLA.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Then we have a very different definition of "Dynamic", my friend. I also recommend SkySight - Simply Bigger Trees as a method of hiding LOD.

Or, you know, not looking closely at LOD.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Agents are GO! posted:

Then we have a very different definition of "Dynamic", my friend. I also recommend SkySight - Simply Bigger Trees as a method of hiding LOD.

Or, you know, not looking closely at LOD.

Not sure how you can argue that Dynavision is dynamic using its regular definition. It does not change the DoF much no matter what your camera is focusing at. So yes we have a different opinion of what dynamic is.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Someone on /r/SkyrimMods pointed out the inevitable has happened:

Time to update my filters.

e: There's a unique filter for MLP.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 22, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
guess it's time for me to go make several waifu mods and get that coveted hotfiles spot

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Midig posted:

Not sure how you can argue that Dynavision is dynamic using its regular definition. It does not change the DoF much no matter what your camera is focusing at. So yes we have a different opinion of what dynamic is.

Yeah, actually it totally does, that's the whole point. Are you sure you have DoF set up correctly in your INIs?

(I don't even like DoF effects, I just don't like people being like, wrong.)

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Well, at least they're honest.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

It can really be said that for now, at least, Skyrim Modding is mostly a written book - there'll probably be some neat new mods (Talos-willing my Last of the Dwemer will be finished someday) but not nearly at the pace of when the game was newer - a lot of modders haved moved on to Fallout 4.

The release of Skyrim Remastered might jolt some new stuff out of the community.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

ThaumPenguin posted:

Ok, how do i filter them out?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Midig posted:

Ok, how do i filter them out?

Go to your Account Options, click "Block Content" and then select what you want to remove from view.

The relevant ones I chose for this was "CBBE Bodybase", "UNP Bodybase", "UNPB Bodybase", "Sexy/Skimpy", "Nudity", and "Anime".

It worked fairly well.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ThaumPenguin posted:

Go to your Account Options, click "Block Content" and then select what you want to remove from view.

The relevant ones I chose for this was "CBBE Bodybase", "UNP Bodybase", "UNPB Bodybase", "Sexy/Skimpy", "Nudity", and "Anime".

It worked fairly well.

This should be in the OP.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Everywhere people discuss Skyrim, the 100% hotfiles followers is being mocked. It's kind of tragic...ally hilarious.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Chesko now has a Patreon.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

He actually seems to be setting reasonable expectations.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I recently ordered a new desktop. I played Skyrim a lot on my five year desktop, lightly modded. Now I want to play with lots and lots of mods. My technology knowledge is low. A concern with lots of mods I hear about is script lag. I'm really interested in Legacy of the Dragonborn, and it seems that script lag affects this mod a lot.

Which piece of hardware affects script lag the most? RAM? Processor speed? I'm thinking of running Legacy of the Dragonborn with some quest, graphic mods, and SPERG. Is this a recipe for disaster?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

prometheusbound2 posted:

Which piece of hardware affects script lag the most? RAM? Processor speed?
Papyrus' performance is linked to framerate. So all of them I guess.

prometheusbound2 posted:

I'm thinking of running Legacy of the Dragonborn with some quest, graphic mods, and SPERG. Is this a recipe for disaster?
You'll be fine.
It's when you have a metric assload of really script intensive mods (or one or more mods with really poorly coded & broken scripts) that papyrus' performance becomes an issue. Especially if you combine that with a lot of graphical intensive mods.

Also if you have searched about "script lag" you probably have seen people recommend certain .ini settings. Don't do that. Seriously: Don't gently caress with papyrus releated .ini settings.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

prometheusbound2 posted:

Which piece of hardware affects script lag the most? RAM? Processor speed? I'm thinking of running Legacy of the Dragonborn with some quest, graphic mods, and SPERG. Is this a recipe for disaster?

That's pretty much what I did on my 5-year-old computer with an overheating processor, and it was fine.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hey so do ya'll have any quick tips for starting out in Enderal?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

• Elementalism is very strong, even as a warrior type you'll find use of fireball staves.
  • Lockpicking and rhetoric are the most useful minor skills, maybe alchemy too for restore health potions.
  • Eat food outside of combat, and use your health potions sparingly.
  • Talk to the woman in front of Ark's west gate for a quest to get a free mount.
  • Quicksave + quickload will skip some dialogue, but not all.
  • Only explore areas you have current-level quests in (marked with 3 asterisks or below). There's no level-scaling, so if you start globetrotting, you'll likely get smushed.

FutonForensic fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 28, 2016

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Lawman 0 posted:

Does "don't" count?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"Hmm, I'm pretty tough with 250ish health, and wizard are nerds. I should try out this finger of death spell from Apocalypse magic finally!"

*Dies*

"Huh... Maybe if I buff myself with about +200 health first thanks to this other cool spell, surely this wizard won't have over 400-"

*Dies*

Not gonna lie, Apoc's "Auto cast three self cast spells for free on combat" spell all on it's own was worth the price of admission even for a guy I'm trying to deliberately stick with Restoration and Alteration for. (Oh cool it still triggers while I'm a Werewolf). Along with other cool spells even in those schools alone added by the mod I forgetting to use half the time.

But drat if Finger Of Death doesn't remind me how in nearly every game ever, named wizards are only fragile when it's the player, while all NPC named wizards could snap Conan the barbarian over their knee.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

ThaumPenguin posted:

That's not what the front page currently looks like.

I don't have any filters on that would block those either.

Edit; oh wait I had 'Not Lore Friendly' blocked. ...Why I don't even care about lore.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 30, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Chaltab posted:

That's not what the front page currently looks like.

I don't have any filters on that would block those either.

Edit; oh wait I had 'Not Lore Friendly' blocked. ...Why I don't even care about lore.

That was eight days ago, dude.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

if I'm not too obsessive about visual mods and just want to make the game look good with minimal effort, will Noble Skyrim cover me or is there anything glaring it misses out

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

if I'm not too obsessive about visual mods and just want to make the game look good with minimal effort, will Noble Skyrim cover me or is there anything glaring it misses out

I'd toss SMIM in there

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm just gonna ignore that "minimal effort" bit and trust you know yourself where to draw the line when improving:

- shrines
- tapestries
- jewelry, esp. the "jewel" bit
- pelts and furs, but almost everything made by Gamwich that has a giant allcaps RUSTIC in the title is honestly fackin diamond m8

one kinda open sore is how garbage the statues of the gods and daedra look. I downloaded a thing myself, but for allegedly 2K textures they're still bad enough that I won't bother linking that one

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

cheers!

and yeah by "minimal effort" I've been modding heavily since Morrowind so I just mean "will take less than a week for once"

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

oh golly. I didn't even realize that his rustic grab-bag collection had a thing for those astoundingly lovely prisoner cages that nobody else seems to have wanted to touch

looks like my vram usage is blasting off again

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

and yeah by "minimal effort" I've been modding heavily since Morrowind so I just mean "will take less than a week for once"

i tend not to link anything that demands ENB fuckery or link-ups with some incredibly pervasive lighting overhaul thing, so mission accomplished i guess

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

cheers!

but if you mod for less than a week how can you tell that your game is changed at all

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

wow, interesting npcs finally gives something after a dry spell

after so many tired tragic backstories and troubled childhoods and assassins with morals and monologues by drunk dunmer knights, I run into a pleasant agreeable cat guy who's insecure about his disfiguring birth defect of being built like a brick shithouse

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
Finally getting back into Skyrim after some shenanigans with my desktop PC not hooked up on account of not having stable living conditions.

Anyway. One thing that's always bugged me is the 'mandatory' nature of Skyrim's civil war. I mean, you can kind of ignore it, except for the pesky camps and the fact that certain holds are held by either one side or the other, but I always felt that, as the Dragonborn, you could bid to seize the throne or take over as a vampire lord or something like that.

I know there's a Become High King of Skyrim mod but I have no idea if it actually ends the war. I also know that CWO is either discontinued or refuses to play nice because of scripting and bloat. Any thoughts on this?

EDIT: Looking ahead, I'm curious. If a mod says it needs a SkyRe patch, will that patch also work with PerMa?

BlueInkAlchemist fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 4, 2016

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Re LOD chat, the last time I played I used the prebuilt versions of DynoLOD that you can get in the optional files section. I thought they looked great.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Goon KM2 posted this image in the Enderal thread, and I think you should make it the title image of this thread, Gunner:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Agents are GO! posted:

Goon KM2 posted this image in the Enderal thread, and I think you should make it the title image of this thread, Gunner:

Should be animated to have the green bar moving back and forth.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Could someone give me a list of around ten mods that will make this a modern game for me, the modern man?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dorkopotamis posted:

Could someone give me a list of around ten mods that will make this a modern game for me, the modern man?
While a lot is to taste, or bugfixes, I'd say the absolutely most important thing mentioned in the OP to get is SkyUI.

It adds an actual User Interface to Skyrim, a really nice one at that (And controller compatible apparently, so none of that "How do I make my mod light consoles on fire :spergin:" mindset). So even ignoring the fact it's a requirement for a ton of mods, that's a pretty big one step to modern gaming.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/3863/

That first Before/After screenshot they have is how I managed to get across how big a change it was, to some pals who never played skyrim and just kind of go :confused: when I try to explain the concept of "adds a user interface".

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 5, 2016

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm actually enjoying enderal but does anyone have any idea why it crashes so loving much?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm actually enjoying enderal but does anyone have any idea why it crashes so loving much?

My guess is the high density of objects per cell (relative to vanilla Skyrim) is causing buffer overflows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Also, as a PC user, would there be any point to waiting for the remastered version before beginning a new playthrough? Will the changes effect the PC version so greatly?