Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Shaezerus posted:

A swift kick in the teeth would be better than Ninninger. The concept at least sounds legit fun though, so I'm hopeful it'll be Actually Pretty Good.

It's a shame cause Nininger has some of the best Ranger suit and mecha designs in the franchise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

drrockso20 posted:

It's a shame cause Nininger has some of the best Ranger suit and mecha designs in the franchise

A shameful snipe.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Nin2 does legitimately have great suits.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

The thing is that it rings more of Transformers or TMNT in that they're trying to cash in on an old franchise by making it harder and edgier since that's what primarily kids (specifically boys) like nowadays while hoping to get some extra nostalgia bux rather than being any sort of celebration or spin-off or heavily referencing media aimed primarily towards older fans.

I figured it's pretty much entirely hoping to coast of the trend of these other 'old tv show reboot' movies. But I think the tone of stuff like Transformers is really the same as something like the Marvel movies, which is to say they're 'serious' but there's still plenty of jokes and they're never ''dark'. It seems kind of strange to see all a lot of people speculating on whether or not it will be campy and I didn't think that was even a possibility.

prob still going to be garbage though

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Well with good characters and some decent writing Saban does still have a chance to spin poo poo into gold here (or at least, make a halfway decent show out of it).

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Larryb posted:

Well with good characters and some decent writing Saban

Talk about dreaming big.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Do you know how many of my problems with Nin2 could have been resolved if the red ranger had been likable, or even capable of emoting at all?

...not a lot, comparatively, but at least enough that it would have just be disappointing instead of god-awful. I'm pretty sure they could bring back the entire cast of Power Ranger Samurai, completely unchanged, repeat the plot exactly, and they'd still have a better show than Nin2.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Poison Mushroom posted:

Do you know how many of my problems with Nin2 could have been resolved if the red ranger had been likable, or even capable of emoting at all?

...not a lot, comparatively, but at least enough that it would have just be disappointing instead of god-awful. I'm pretty sure they could bring back the entire cast of Power Ranger Samurai, completely unchanged, repeat the plot exactly, and they'd still have a better show than Nin2.

I buy into this a little. Charisma goes a long way. Like, in Gokaiger, Marvelous's schtick was "he's the cool guy who is in charge and also the best", but he was just so much fun to watch. I think they could have sold Takaharu's whole deal a lot better if his actor hadn't been some kind of mannequin.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Look at Shinkenger or Kyoryuger, both incredibly redcentric series. Both managed to pull it off because Shinkenger had a good cast that was utilized well and in Kyoryu, Daigo was a really fun red, so him getting the spotlight was okay.

Takaharu was not fun or interesting or anything, but he didn't just hog the spotlight, everyone else's spotlight was based around him.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mikeycp posted:

Talk about dreaming big.

Eh, Dino Charge hasn't been too bad so far (at the very least it's a return to form compared to Samurai and Megaforce) so if Ninja Steel can at least maintain that level of quality it'll already be a step up from Nin2.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 22, 2016

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Daigo also used his time in the spotlight to talk about how much he loved his friends and how great they were, so even if the writing didn't always treat them as equals daigo made you feel like they were.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/ThePowerRangers/status/779096766809464832

poo poo, now I don't know what to think.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Incidentally, it looks like they deleted the original Yellow Ranger + Zord tweet. Guess they felt a bit of backlash?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

John McClane posted:

Daigo also used his time in the spotlight to talk about how much he loved his friends and how great they were, so even if the writing didn't always treat them as equals daigo made you feel like they were.

They also didn't focus on him sometimes even if he was supposed to be the super best at everything. Like when Kyoryu Gray tested the others by having them fight battles under handicaps, they showed everyone but Daigo, and then at the end he pops back and he's all "Oh yeah I had to fight a battle under every single handicap you guys had combined." Even though it was clearly "Daigo is way better than you guys" the fact that they didn't show the battle and just had him mention it in passing meant it felt like the show wasn't beating you over the head with it.

jivjov posted:

Incidentally, it looks like they deleted the original Yellow Ranger + Zord tweet. Guess they felt a bit of backlash?

Out of morbid curiosity, what did it say?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

They also didn't focus on him sometimes even if he was supposed to be the super best at everything. Like when Kyoryu Gray tested the others by having them fight battles under handicaps, they showed everyone but Daigo, and then at the end he pops back and he's all "Oh yeah I had to fight a battle under every single handicap you guys had combined." Even though it was clearly "Daigo is way better than you guys" the fact that they didn't show the battle and just had him mention it in passing meant it felt like the show wasn't beating you over the head with it.

Out of morbid curiosity, what did it say?

"Driver's Ed Not Required."

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Twelve by Pies posted:

Even moreso since it wasn't shown to be something good. After the training, Tessai accepts everyone except Daigo.

Most importantly though, Kyoryuger leaves something clear since episode 1: being a Kyoryuger doesn't make you a badass, you have to be a badass to be a Kyoryuger. Even if the series is absolutely Daigo-centric, it doesn't ever stop showing that his teammates are people who beat giant mecha dinosaurs on one-on-one combat, they're all competent and dangerous, and Daigo knows fully well they have his back at any time.

Ninninger meanwhile has everyone point out just how cool Takaharu is and how they want to reach him as if it were the only goal in the loving world in any second they have of spotlight. All the while Takaharu is a gigantic idiot who hardly seems worthy of praise. I will never forget how Kinji and Yakumo managed to surpass a trap through clever thinking, clearly proving they were on Takaharu's level or above...and then Yakumo turned down the super mode toy thing because he wasn't good enough to be at Taka-bro's level apparently. Even though he had showed he was...because everyone is always below Takaharu, always.

I swear Ninninger would be actually watchable if you just removed Takaharu entirely. It's a waste of an actually good cast. It'd still have really lovely villains, but at least it'd have good heroes.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Kasumi should have been red.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Kasumi should have been red.

Yeah, as bad as the show itself got I will admit that Kasumi ended up being one of my favorite Pinks (actually pretty much everyone who wasn't Takaharu was fairly decent). Though if Takaharu's actor had displayed even half the enthusiasm that Daigo's did I probably could have tolerated him a lot more.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 23, 2016

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah like deadly_pudding said, if they had gotten a competent actor to play Takaharu it wouldn't have necessarily made Ninninger good but it wouldn't be quite so bad. Having a guy who seems like he's half asleep when he's yelling about how fired up he is is just intolerable.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I'm fired up :geno:

Ninninger is still better than Ghost, somehow.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Shows with good suit design are bad. On the inverse, that means Ex-Aid will be the next W.

I like Ex-Aid's designs

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Ignis posted:

Because Ninninger had clearly defined villains with a specific goal, and even if Takaharu was bad the other Ninningers were pretty cool and had actual personalities, rather than being a blank slate that talked about the potential of humanity.

Sentai in general seems to have maybe slightly more simplistic plots than Rider. It's a bit of a generalization I know, but with Sentai villains we usually know their motivations and goals from the very beginning. ToQger's villains wanted to spread darkness, the Gedoshu wanted to flood the Earth with the Sanzu River, the Gaiark wanted to pollute Earth to make it a paradise for them. There's obviously exceptions, such as Brajira, whose true motivations (and identity) weren't revealed until the end of the series, but in general villains with clear goals and motivations are the norm in Sentai.

This means that Sentai is probably less likely to turn into a train wreck of plot contradictions or things that don't make sense, because there isn't really a lot to screw up, unlike say, Hibiki where the staff change really hurt the show.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Shows with good suit design are bad. On the inverse, that means Ex-Aid will be the next W.

I like Ex-Aid's designs

Hey, I love Gokaiger and Go-Buster's suits. :mad:

And Shinkenger.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Ignis posted:

okay I disagree with you immensely in this.

There were at least parts of Ghost that were good, like say the entire middle section.

There were maybe 3 total 'good' episodes of Ninninger and I'm not entirely convinced that me liking those episodes isn't pure Stockholm Syndrome on the rest of it being a trash fire.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'd kind of agree that I could not get through even the first dozen ninninger episodes.
I'm not sure that I saw ghost until the end means it was better. I kind of think that I felt it had INFINITE POTENTIAL or something, thought that certain things would be resolved in a more interesting way than they ended up being. Like I wanted to see what they meant to have the fifteen heroes mean or the ganmas plan or things like that when the answer to all of those was "something really disappointing".

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well even if Ghost was a dissapointment at least Orb is good and Zyuohger has been decent enough so far so I guess 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Please be good Ex-Aid.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I think I'm just jaded over months of having to write the same sentences over and over.

Did you know this motherfucker's name is Tenkuuji Takeru and he likes to let his life burn bright? His other hobbies are connecting people's feelings and preaching about humanity's potential. Which is infinite. And souls never die. :suicide:

Ignis fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 23, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You'd think you'd just have that stuff on a Notepad to copy paste by now.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Oh, the jingles sure. It's the show's catchphrase-itis that gets incredibly annoying.

That's just in half a minute, from this week's episode - like half of what Takeru says these days includes the words "connect" or "infinite potential" in some sort of fashion. In comparison, Alain has used his heart's cry catchphrase a handful of times and that is why he is the MC we need, not the one we deserve :(

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Waffleman_ posted:

You'd think you'd just have that stuff on a Notepad to copy paste by now.

I am 100% sure one of them (probably Ignis?) has a file that just says

"My name is Tenkuuji Takeru.
On my 18th birthday, I was killed by a Ganma and came back to life as Kamen Rider Ghost.

I have XX days left."

to paste into the beginning of any script.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The Kamen Rider Eyecons ended up not even being mentioned in the main show despite Freya's presence. "Tenkuji Takeru is the key" was never explained. The Makoto's clone subplot went nowhere. Akari never accomplished anything. Despite having a Necrom bracelet of her own, Adel declines to join the final battle.

Wow Ghost was a bad series. I don't even know if I can say it's better than Wizard (though I don't think it's worse than Wizard, maybe about even).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
On the one hand, Haruto was also a catchphrase angel who existed, but he was occasionally interesting for five seconds at a time.

On the other hand, neither Akari nor Kanon was ever kidnapped, literally objectified, stolen, and then stolen again (Kanon was an eyecon for a while but she still talked).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

On the OTHER other hand, Mayu was one of the most competent women Riders we've had in the series, even defeating a major villain, whereas Alia transformed once and was immediately defeated effortlessly.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

On the OTHER OTHER hand....

L I O N LION!

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So there is going to be a Legend Rider Eyecon for Ghost

My reaction is thus:

"It's the same Malibu Stacy just with a new hat" It's Ore with a new paint job and R17 instead of G on the sticker.

Also, why can't I actually find the exact quote for that or a picture of it as a meme?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Waffleman_ posted:

On the OTHER OTHER hand....

L I O N LION!

Maybe Nitoh and Alain can escape their series together, eating mayo-covered takoyaki in their hobo tent and sharing their sad stories.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FkpACJFrRU

is always relevant

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

mateo360 posted:

"It's the same Malibu Stacy just with a new hat" It's Ore with a new paint job and R17 instead of G on the sticker.

Also, why can't I actually find the exact quote for that or a picture of it as a meme?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaOgZwk9rN8

BUT SHE'S GOT A NEW HAT

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Ignis posted:

Oh, the jingles sure. It's the show's catchphrase-itis that gets incredibly annoying.

That's just in half a minute, from this week's episode - like half of what Takeru says these days includes the words "connect" or "infinite potential" in some sort of fashion. In comparison, Alain has used his heart's cry catchphrase a handful of times and that is why he is the MC we need, not the one we deserve :(

Thank you for translating that padding.

I hope Ex-aid doesn't make you want to rip your nipples off.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Ignis posted:

Oh are you an over-time translater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Nah I'm just the team's gopher

Onimaru is the one who does the heavy lifting, like marking lines to tell us "HEY HE SAID THE CATCHPHRASE AGAIN YOU KNOW THE ONE" and also translating :v:

• Locked thread