Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Spikeguy posted:

What's the best ppvs top to bottom from the last let's say 6 years?

Either WM30 or Takover R Evolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Dragon Gate Dead or Alive 2016 was solid all through out and had my angle of the year.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
MITB 2011 was a great show too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The answer is pretty clearly ZANDIG: Tournament of Survival. Very even show top to bottom, didn't need to rely on one match to prop it up.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Gavok posted:

WCW counts as part of WWE's history and according to the video game WCW Thunder, they had Royal Rumbles that took place in space.

Dusty Rhodes once challenged Tully Blanchard to a match that would take place in the stratosphere.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Wrestlemania 30 was pretty great, between Bryan kneeing Trips' face in, The Shield squashing some stupid assholes, Cesaro just not giving a gently caress, The Streak, and the main event. And yeah, pretty much any NXT Takeover.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The multiple of 10 Wrestlemania's are all very strange, as they always seem to presage a new direction, but it's always something of a false start. 10 had Shawn Michaels and Razor Ramon put on a spectacle, The Harts had a great match and it was followed up with Bret finally dethroning the unstoppable champ. 4 years later Shawn is broken, Razors part of the competition, and Bret got turfed, WWF is riding high on a guy who wasnt even in the company when 10 came around. 20 ends on what was then a high note with Benoit and Guerrero, that ends badly, even in the short term as neither guy held onto the belts for very long afterward and the opening match guy went on to define the next decade. 30 revolves around Daniel Bryan, against the wishes of the company, but they are forced into it by fans who will not stop supporting the guy, he breaks within two months and never really gets another run.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Does any fed use the one piece turnbuckle pads besides NJPW? I could've sworn they weren't alone. but all the other puro feds I can think seem to use the standard three pad setup.

EDIT: DDT

Thauros fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 21, 2016

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Thauros posted:

Does any fed use the one piece turnbuckle pads besides NJPW? I could've sworn they weren't alone. but all the other puro feds I can think seem to use the standard three pad setup.

EDIT: DDT

ROH used to have those back in the day, and given their relationship with NJPW it's about time they bring them back, even if it were only for the occasional Yano Toru appearance.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

TL posted:

MITB 2011 was a great show too.

Totally agree. It was the show that got me back into WWE and turned me into a shameless Punk mark. I remember the two ladder matches were strong, the WHC title was a great match and actually benefited from the BS finish, even the hoss match was decent!

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Is there any better reactions than the two HHH had to Cactus Jack debuting/coming back? The Bryan and Vinny show reviewed the Jack debut on last night's show, so I went and watched that, then just watched the Mankind->Jack turn from Smackdown before Rumble 2000. The pop when Mankind took off his mask was amazing.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Capsaicin posted:

Is there any better reactions than the two HHH had to Cactus Jack debuting/coming back? The Bryan and Vinny show reviewed the Jack debut on last night's show, so I went and watched that, then just watched the Mankind->Jack turn from Smackdown before Rumble 2000. The pop when Mankind took off his mask was amazing.

Royal Rumble '97 where Austin has cleared the ring for the umpteenth time, waits for who's next while exhausted, hears Bret Hart's theme and reacts with, "OH poo poo, IT'S BRET! ...Wait, gently caress this, I'm Steve Austin! I'm going to kick his rear end!"

Honorable mention to Ambrose's look of dejection and confusion after Rollins hit Roman with a chair.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I loved the 1992 Rumble where Jake Roberts came in and spent the entire match glancing at the entryway waiting for Savage to show up. Then finally Savage comes out and Jake is under the ring before Savage even made it down the ramp

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Mine is also the '92 Rumble where Flair is in the ring by all himself, Piper comes out, and Flair is like "AH GOD drat IT"

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
My favorite reaction in a Rumble is '08 when Punk and Morrison just stood in the corner marking out to each other as Piper and Snuka went at it. Then suddenly Morrison remembers he and Punk are feuding.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Capsaicin posted:

Not kayfabe reactions, but every single fan they showed when Brock pinned Undertaker at WM30. Also, the GDT at that moment.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Another great one: when John Cena showed up in Elimination Chamber and got bombarded with a Codebreaker, 619 and Spear. Edge pinned him and his reaction was like "That... Oh God, did that work?! Yeah... Oh yeah... That worked."

Early face Undertaker led to some seriously good reactions to his no-selling. Jake Roberts locking Undertaker's hand into a casket and beating him with a chair, only to see Undertaker continue to stand and lurch forward while dragging the casket behind him. Kamala hitting increasingly damaging splashes on him, only for Paul Bearer to smack the mat, causing Undertaker to sit up and Kamala to freak out and cheese it. Yokozuna slamming Undertaker's skull into the steps, then nearly falling over because Undertaker just shrugged it off and glared at him. Diesel's horror that Undertaker was still getting up after two jackknife powerbombs.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Hulk Hogan was my favorite wrestler as a kid, but I was absolutely convinced that Undertaker was unstoppable. I always knew Hogan would win after a tough fight, but Undertaker was the final boss and I don't think I would have believed Hogan beating him.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Speaking of great reactions, what was the context of this?

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

Speaking of great reactions, what was the context of this?

Gavok posted:

Another great one: when John Cena showed up in Elimination Chamber and got bombarded with a Codebreaker, 619 and Spear. Edge pinned him and his reaction was like "That... Oh God, did that work?! Yeah... Oh yeah... That worked."

IIRC.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
What year?

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Pretty sure this is what Edge was reacting to. (Stolen from here years ago)

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

You know what, I've seen that gif dozens of times and I totally didn't notice the EC chains in the foreground and background.

No rope/nose version:

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Sep 22, 2016

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Capsaicin posted:

I will always be a fan of Jericho's reaction to Ciclope unmasking to be Dean Malenko.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Maybe a hard to answer question, but if you could choose one person who obviously should have been a huge star but bad booking prevented it, who would it be? Not just WWE, this person could have been underutilized everywhere they went, never really getting past upper midcard or in a team with someone else who was a bigger star.

My choice would be bam bam Bigelow who should have been one of the biggest WWF stars of the early 90s and then used as a monster by wcw, but it just never really happened despite being pretty well pushed and protected. Maybe the timing was never right but I feel like he would have been a perfect late 90s triple crown champion.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Speaking of reactions...

I recently was listening to some snippets of Jim Cornette, and I was reminded just how much he LOATHES Vince Russo. So much so that he said he was taking steps to outlive him so he can piss on his grave.

I had to wonder, has anyone ever told Cornette in a call-on podcast, or an email, or SOMETHING, does he really want to give Russo that much power over him? Let his rancor dictate his life so much? Yeah, I get it, Cornette's pretty much the ultimate crotchety old man BACK IN MY DAY curmudgeon and is probably prone to exaggeration and overreacting for a show, and I can't see how no one has ever told him this, and yes, the man loves wrestling with all his heart and he feels Russo poisoned the well irrevocably, but still. If Cornette still has respect and Russo doesn't, it seems like something someone should tell the man, even if he ignores it. Because that sort of thing doesn't do anything to Russo: it just makes Cornette look bad.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bigass Moth posted:

Maybe a hard to answer question, but if you could choose one person who obviously should have been a huge star but bad booking prevented it, who would it be? Not just WWE, this person could have been underutilized everywhere they went, never really getting past upper midcard or in a team with someone else who was a bigger star.

My choice would be bam bam Bigelow who should have been one of the biggest WWF stars of the early 90s and then used as a monster by wcw, but it just never really happened despite being pretty well pushed and protected. Maybe the timing was never right but I feel like he would have been a perfect late 90s triple crown champion.

Terry Taylor. In the mid-eighties people were beginning to tout him as the next Ric Flair. A guy who could talk, who was solid in the ring, whose feud with Chris Adams was so intense it crossed promotional boundaries (UWF to WCCW). But then he signed with WWF, was made a jobber, then the Red Rooster, and his career could never recover from it. He tried to rehabilitate his image after leaving WWF for WCW, but the stink of the Red Rooster wouldn't wash off.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Bigass Moth posted:

He was already a star everywhere else, but how WWE completely wasted Ultimo Dragon still baffles me. That should've been a no-brainer to carry the Cruiserweight division and make it huge.

Others I'd mention are Mr. Perfect, Terry Taylor, and John Morrison (though he really was terrible on the mic at the time).

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Bigass Moth posted:

Sting in WWE.

Jobbed out to Triple H, DQ win over Big Show, murdered IRL by Seth Rollins.

:smith:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bigass Moth posted:

Diamond Dallas Page. He only was made big in WCW as the wheels fell off the bus, and when he made the jump to WWF, he could have been the lynchpin for a better booked Invasion angle. DDP was my favorite wrestler as a kid and is a really good dude, and if he had gotten into wrestling younger and been utilized better, he would have deserved the accolades he got.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Bigass Moth posted:

Jake "The Snake" Roberts. Had a run with Hogan that was aborted because it split the audience, and was supposed to have a program with the Ultimate Warrior that was aborted because Warrior got fired.

Cornwind Evil posted:

I had to wonder, has anyone ever told Cornette in a call-on podcast, or an email, or SOMETHING, does he really want to give Russo that much power over him? Let his rancor dictate his life so much? Yeah, I get it, Cornette's pretty much the ultimate crotchety old man BACK IN MY DAY curmudgeon and is probably prone to exaggeration and overreacting for a show, and I can't see how no one has ever told him this, and yes, the man loves wrestling with all his heart and he feels Russo poisoned the well irrevocably, but still. If Cornette still has respect and Russo doesn't, it seems like something someone should tell the man, even if he ignores it. Because that sort of thing doesn't do anything to Russo: it just makes Cornette look bad.
I think Cornette has an audience of wrestling nerds who eat it up every time he does it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bigass Moth posted:

I'll go to the grave thinking that a babyface Dustin Rhodes was the way to go in WCW from 1995-on, even if that whole Hulk Hogan thing eventually ended up working.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Halloween Jack posted:

Jake "The Snake" Roberts. Had a run with Hogan that was aborted because it split the audience, and was supposed to have a program with the Ultimate Warrior that was aborted because Warrior got fired.
Jake had a Wrestling Buddy though! That's the only real measure of success you can use for a non-Hogan guy of that era.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Halloween Jack posted:

To elaborate, Jake did a heelish interview show for the WWF (The Snake Pit) where he interviewed Hogan, then hit him with a DDT to the floor. It was supposed to make Jake the Snake a super turbo hell-hated villian, but the live audience LOVED it apparently, so they aborted the whole idea and didn't broadcast it except in... Rhode Island, I think? Something weird like that.

It's hard to imagine now, but back then the DDT was only done by Jake the Snake, and it was treated as some kind of borderline-illegal, life-threatening kill shot by EVERYONE. People sold it like a gunshot to the face, dudes would drool and have convulsions or act paralyzed after they took it, and they'd have bits where they'd talk about how it might be banned because THAT BASTARD THE SNAKE used it on a man in Alabama just to watch him die. Looking back it's ridiculous of course, but it was big fun at the time.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

sean10mm posted:

To elaborate, Jake did a heelish interview show for the WWF (The Snake Pit) where he interviewed Hogan, then hit him with a DDT to the floor. It was supposed to make Jake the Snake a super turbo hell-hated villian, but the live audience LOVED it apparently, so they aborted the whole idea and didn't broadcast it except in... Rhode Island, I think? Something weird like that.

It's hard to imagine now, but back then the DDT was only done by Jake the Snake, and it was treated as some kind of borderline-illegal, life-threatening kill shot by EVERYONE. People sold it like a gunshot to the face, dudes would drool and have convulsions or act paralyzed after they took it, and they'd have bits where they'd talk about how it might be banned because THAT BASTARD THE SNAKE used it on a man in Alabama just to watch him die. Looking back it's ridiculous of course, but it was big fun at the time.

It also helped that he almost legit killed Ricky "the Dragon" Steamboat with it on Saturday Night Main Event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47YW0FTbbJc

This may be my earliest wrestling memory.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I remember a story (never saw the match) of an NWA title match between Flair and Roberts where Roberts was the face. Flair provoked Jake into hitting him with a surprise DDT before the bell rang, and Flair sold it like death--the confusion over the match starting bought him some time, and he only won the match by relentlessly playing chickenshit heel when he eventually recovered.

Jake didn't want to do that DDT on the floor, insisting it was too dangerous--and the way he did it, it was. The DDT lost its stature as a result of a bunch of people stealing it, a bunch of people not selling it right, and then the backyard crowd figured out that it was a move the could do (badly) after they saw Raven and Dreamer do it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Bigass Moth posted:

TNA is infamous for building up on or stumbling into wrestlers who were really catching fire, only to bungle it badly. Monty Brown could have been something, but they just jobbed him out to Jarrett and cut off all his momentum. The Pope looked like he could be their next big thing (or at least a thing big enough to give them some identity) as an underutilized WWE guy who reinvented himself into something better, but they never capitalized and instead turned him into just another guy. Samoa Joe... well, yeah.

But probably the worst would be cutting Bobby Roode off at the knees. They built him up on a run towards being champion that was probably one of the better pieces of TNA booking and came off as a star-making ascension from established tag team wrestler to top guy. Then when it came time to pull the trigger, they messed it up on a colossal level. Roode was supposed to become champion against Kurt Angle, who was hurt and desperately needed time off. Win-win situation, right? Unfortunately, the same night also featured Hogan turning face and he didn't want Roode's win overshadowing him, so Hogan had them change it to Angle retaining in a short match. Roode was derailed and came out of it looking like a massive choke artist just to feed Hogan's ego.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
RE: best reactions, one of my all time favs is in the MITB match at WM 22. Flair gets helped back by medics after a superplex off a ladder. Later in the match he comes limping back out and Finlay drops the ladder he was setting up and just gives this fantastic annoyed head shake. Sigh...fine, I'll kick your rear end too.

I always used to love the super bug eye looks Rocky would pull when 316 showed up on his pager or if Austin had a particularly cutting insult for him.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bigass Moth posted:

I always felt Christian was horribly misused. He got a couple gold watch title reigns (that felt like they were more for Edge than him) but he could have been that Edge level top of the card dependable guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Wasn't serious enough