Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

psychopomp posted:

Synesthesia Theatre just released the last episode of our first season, wrapping the steampunk western "Iron Horses Can't Be Broken." New season starts in about a month, after some cast Q&A interviews, with a 9-part cyberpunk thriller.

Hey, well done with this! I just finished the other day and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm excited for future seasons! I even bought some of Coorlim's novels to read, including Cold Reboot (so I can better appreciate Season 2 when it comes out).

I will say that the volume was a little iffy at times. Hard to hear in typical podcast places (bus, car, etc), so I'd turn it up but then there would be a really loud laugh or music cue and my ears would blow up. I'm no audio engineer, but a simple compressor effect to even the whole thing out, while unfortunately minimizing depth, might make it a better experience for the bulk of your listeners. Just a thought, and I know that you are in a studio this time so probably this has already been addressed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

voltron lion force posted:

I just finished season 2 of black tapes and while I agree that it pretty much sucks I kinda couldn't stop listening once I got deep enough into it.

They do this thing like every episode that is so dumb that I can't imagine it has gone unnoticed.

"Alex, take a look at this..."
Pause for 10 seconds while dramatic music plays
"Wow, its that thing"

Like we can't see the thing guys, you have to describe it for us first, then cut to the pause for dramatic effect music so we can be shocked.

Ive been thinking about this since reading a review of Edict Zero, what should shows do about things in the "middle distance"? Say, action sequence or moving to a room next door.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

Drunk Tomato posted:

Hey, well done with this! I just finished the other day and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm excited for future seasons! I even bought some of Coorlim's novels to read, including Cold Reboot (so I can better appreciate Season 2 when it comes out).

I will say that the volume was a little iffy at times. Hard to hear in typical podcast places (bus, car, etc), so I'd turn it up but then there would be a really loud laugh or music cue and my ears would blow up. I'm no audio engineer, but a simple compressor effect to even the whole thing out, while unfortunately minimizing depth, might make it a better experience for the bulk of your listeners. Just a thought, and I know that you are in a studio this time so probably this has already been addressed!

Thanks for the kind words! We're wrapping up post-production (should have a teaser out soon) and it does sound a lot better, so hopefully fewer blown out eardrums.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

psychopomp posted:

Thanks for the kind words! We're wrapping up post-production (should have a teaser out soon) and it does sound a lot better, so hopefully fewer blown out eardrums.

Hey, I'm in the middle and enjoying the show, nice work.

This is probably beyond your ken but uh would Florence still have a British accent?

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Glad you're enjoying the show.

I don't remember exactly how the discussion went, but I remember one of the actors giving an anecdote about a classmate who'd lived in England until she was 11, and still had an Americanized English accent in her 20s. I think it'd be in character for Florence to cultivate the accent as best she could, and ultimately we let the actor playing her decide how to approach it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Greater Boston is pretty good. Interconnected lives along the Red Line in Boston. It's quirky in a Northern Exposure king of way, which can get irritating, but overall is good.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
I'm gonna give another shoutout for the Magnus Archives. Wasn't expecting much going in, but the narrator basically ceased bothering me after the first episode or two, and some of the stories are actually pretty entertaining. Worth a look if you want kind of a X-Files mixed with SCP, but more focused on ghosts and such.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Magnus Archives is good. I'm on the Vampire Killer episode and I've grown to love how over this the narrator is at the end of each episode.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
Don't think I've seen this posted here in this thread: TOR recently shared this list of 50 fiction podcasts released before 2012. I personally have only listed to a couple, so I can't speak for the quality. But some of these might be worth checking out.

http://i1.wp.com/www.tor.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/infographic-podcastfiction-Morris-Bryski.jpg?type=vertical

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Meowjesty posted:

Magnus Archives is good. I'm on the Vampire Killer episode and I've grown to love how over this the narrator is at the end of each episode.

This. The narrator never bothered me and his thoroughly British attitude towards everything really makes the show. I mean, the stories are great so far (just finished The Dreamer), but the narration really makes this a winner.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

Ornamented Death posted:

This. The narrator never bothered me and his thoroughly British attitude towards everything really makes the show. I mean, the stories are great so far (just finished The Dreamer), but the narration really makes this a winner.

The commentary at the end is always fun, but it's made even better by how in-character the narrator gets when telling the story. He goes from being totally in the story to "Ugh so much of this is unsubstantiated how do they expect us to investigate it" and the sheer contrast is great.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Amateur Sketch posted:

The commentary at the end is always fun, but it's made even better by how in-character the narrator gets when telling the story. He goes from being totally in the story to "Ugh so much of this is unsubstantiated how do they expect us to investigate it" and the sheer contrast is great.

Yeah the whole concept is a little strange... I mean, what is the purpose of recording all these written statements in audio anyway? It would make more sense if he read them in short, bland legal-style instead of with his story-telling inflection.

That said, he's hilarious and great. I really don't need an in-universe explanation, it's just funny to imagine.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

My theory is that he was like a drama minor in university and just wants to have fun with it. And it'd be bad radio if he was droning on like a legal transcript.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Drunk Tomato posted:

Yeah the whole concept is a little strange... I mean, what is the purpose of recording all these written statements in audio anyway?

There was some handy-wavey thing in the first episode about it that I ignored. Something about nothing else being effective for going through all the paperwork left behind by the last archivist.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Hughlander posted:

There was some handy-wavey thing in the first episode about it that I ignored. Something about nothing else being effective for going through all the paperwork left behind by the last archivist.

Right, but the more sensible thing would be to scan and maybe run some OCR.

That'd go much much faster and be searchable later.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

That's all well and good and likely true, but it'd make for a boring podcast. You need to allow for some creative leeway so that the fun stories are actually palatable. If he read everything like a court recorder reciting back what a defendant just said, I'd have dropped it after episode one.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

What if he was just a drama minor before becoming an archivist and just wants to have fun?

There are so many possibilities.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
Bright Sessions and Ars Paradoxica released a crossover episode today that was pretty cool! I don't know if they'll keep doing them, but with all the time shenanigans in AP it's easy to hand-wave the differences in continuity.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Typing out the statements causes "weird transcription" errors.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Amateur Sketch posted:

Bright Sessions and Ars Paradoxica released a crossover episode today that was pretty cool! I don't know if they'll keep doing them, but with all the time shenanigans in AP it's easy to hand-wave the differences in continuity.

I just got done listening to that one and I agree, it was really awesome. The guy voicing Partridge is probably my favorite on AP, really brings a lot of humanity to a man who took self-flagellation to an entirely new level. Partridge's whole arc is so tragic, having him contrasted with Sam, who is growing and improving and learning to trust is really compelling. I hope they do more crossovers and explore more of how Partridge deals with the isolation.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Echophonic posted:

I just got done listening to that one and I agree, it was really awesome. The guy voicing Partridge is probably my favorite on AP, really brings a lot of humanity to a man who took self-flagellation to an entirely new level. Partridge's whole arc is so tragic, having him contrasted with Sam, who is growing and improving and learning to trust is really compelling. I hope they do more crossovers and explore more of how Partridge deals with the isolation.

I hope they use it to explain the lack of tech mystery.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Are you talking about how's he's stuck basically with tech from 1996? I think that's the year he mentioned. I'm assuming that he can't go any further forward than when he would have died if he stayed in time.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

calandryll posted:

Are you talking about how's he's stuck basically with tech from 1996? I think that's the year he mentioned. I'm assuming that he can't go any further forward than when he would have died if he stayed in time.

But he's outside time is the whole point, the tech from the 90s is there and he's sending messages to various points in the past from various points in the past. Unless I'm thinking of something totally different I thought there was even a line where it's been weeks for him while minutes for the person trying to contact him. (Though it does seem that his time is moving forward at least.)

My assumption at the time that was brought up is that some other group gained control of ODIN and decided it wasn't worthwhile using him anymore and just abandoned the whole project. Hopefully he's freed or dies of old age before running out of food though!

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

What the gently caress happened to Gertrude Robinson

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone have opinions on "The Lift"

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Meowjesty posted:

What the gently caress happened to Gertrude Robinson

Yeah, all the hints are adding up and I worry that the truth won't be able to compete with the expectations.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Anyone have opinions on "The Lift"

Haven't listened much but it's pretty decent snippets of horror, the throughline of the Victoria and the building and their testing people's morals is interesting.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Hughlander posted:

But he's outside time is the whole point, the tech from the 90s is there and he's sending messages to various points in the past from various points in the past. Unless I'm thinking of something totally different I thought there was even a line where it's been weeks for him while minutes for the person trying to contact him. (Though it does seem that his time is moving forward at least.)

My assumption at the time that was brought up is that some other group gained control of ODIN and decided it wasn't worthwhile using him anymore and just abandoned the whole project. Hopefully he's freed or dies of old age before running out of food though!

ODIN? You been marathoning Archer?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jurgan posted:

ODIN? You been marathoning Archer?

You know while I was on the way to work it hit me that I used the wrong name. ODAR! Glad someone called me out for it before I could go back and edit it.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Am I wrong, or has Twilight Histories not done any updates to the free show in a really long time, whereas he's done a whole bunch of members-only stuff? I can't fault the guy for wanting to incentivize his membership, but don't claim one thing and do another, man. Just be real about it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Small Town Horror has started its second season. The first season was a little uneven at times, and some of the voice talent was just out and out bad, but there seems to be a good mystery at the core, and the preview for season two was creepy as hell.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ornamented Death posted:

Small Town Horror has started its second season. The first season was a little uneven at times, and some of the voice talent was just out and out bad, but there seems to be a good mystery at the core, and the preview for season two was creepy as hell.

Yeah I'm curious to see where it goes. Hopefully it isn't slow like Black Tapes or Tanis.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Magnus archive gettin spooky. :ohdear:

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I just caught up to Wolf 359, and drat that was pretty good! I wasn't expecting the hard left turn into a serious show, but I definitely like the change. Once it veered course slightly and other characters got more screen time it really opened up.

Been listening to The Deep Vault after finishing Archive 81, but I'm not sure how much I like it. Which is weird, because a lot of it reminds me of the cast of Wolf 359. Crazed paranoid, broken AI, pop culture reference man... I dunno, it just feels a bit more forced I guess?

Any suggestions that might fill the Wolf 359 backlog shaped hole in my heart? Preferably something funny but with some drama/action as well?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

NeuroticLich posted:

I just caught up to Wolf 359, and drat that was pretty good! I wasn't expecting the hard left turn into a serious show, but I definitely like the change. Once it veered course slightly and other characters got more screen time it really opened up.

Been listening to The Deep Vault after finishing Archive 81, but I'm not sure how much I like it. Which is weird, because a lot of it reminds me of the cast of Wolf 359. Crazed paranoid, broken AI, pop culture reference man... I dunno, it just feels a bit more forced I guess?

Any suggestions that might fill the Wolf 359 backlog shaped hole in my heart? Preferably something funny but with some drama/action as well?

After the mini-episodes I expected another turn and am kind of disappointed there hasn't been. It really felt like it was prepping for something more.
For suggestions:
MarsCorp
Our Fair City
seem to fill in Wolf 358 shaped holes...

Meowjesty posted:

Magnus archive gettin spooky. :ohdear:

It's the highlight of my week when I see that it's downloaded for the ride home. Sad it's season is almost over, but still what was it 34? 38? episodes this season.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hughlander posted:

After the mini-episodes I expected another turn and am kind of disappointed there hasn't been. It really felt like it was prepping for something more.
For suggestions:
MarsCorp
Our Fair City
seem to fill in Wolf 358 shaped holes...

Yeah, after the last one especially I thought it was about to lead into something big. I guess there's something a few weeks off though!

Thanks for the suggestions, Our Fair City sounds promising. And it's a long one too!

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Hughlander posted:

It's the highlight of my week when I see that it's downloaded for the ride home. Sad it's season is almost over, but still what was it 34? 38? episodes this season.
This was the 38th episode and there are 40 in the season. Evidently, they're planning on 4 or 5 seasons with a defined story and end game.

I'm amazed at how consistently strong it is and I can't believe I was critical of the narrator in the beginning.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

NeuroticLich posted:

Yeah, after the last one especially I thought it was about to lead into something big. I guess there's something a few weeks off though!

Thanks for the suggestions, Our Fair City sounds promising. And it's a long one too!

Best part of Our Fair City is that the first season which is really just setting up the story is a single 58 minute podcast.

Seasons 2 and 3 are great, but I haven't gotten much further because Season 3 really ended that story that Season 1 starts and I felt to some degree, "I'm good, I don't need more in that world." I'll get back to it eventually but it really gave a sense of closure.

(Marscorp though is a 12 episode series and I'm looking forward to that same sense of composure.)

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
I'll give another shoutout to Greater Boston. Think of it like Night Vale meets Prairie Home Companion (no spookiness). It's quirky and pretty funny, but also full of some good prose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Are there any espionage-themed fiction podcasts out there, preferably closer to a LeCarre than a Clancy?

• Locked thread