Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Davincie posted:

i hadn't actually read the new chapters before those posts, so going through them i'd say this page perfectly illustrates the kind of abusive guy he is

how the manga handles the whole power and abuse thing are really interesting, esp. later when it starts revealing the alien stuff

can't be translated fast enough imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

z0glin Warchief posted:

I've only read one story out of this, but it was good:
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=83179
No translations though :(

No translations is my eternal nightmare with manga :v:

Looking around I see a lot of supernatural/shoujo or based on death which is related to horror.

The Embalmer: https://bato.to/comic/_/comics/the-embalmer-r4587

Story focuses on the experience of Shinjyurou Mamiya, a Japanese Embalmer, who explores the life and death of his clients.

It's a shame the manga-ka doesn't do a lot of completed series though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Shoujo is super easy to read because it's got a lot of furigana. :v:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Truga posted:

Shoujo is super easy to read because it's got a lot of furigana. :v:

This reminds me of the curious case of Chihayafuru, which had no furigana at all (other than for names) up until the 14th volume of the manga, which also coincides with the release of the anime adaptation, where it suddenly got furigana slapped on every single kanji. I wonder if it started out as josei and got rebranded as shoujo or something.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Probably a lot more people (and thus also young people) got interested.

Also, it runs in a josei mag, but it really hits more shoujo notes so who knows what it's supposed to be.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

it transcends labels

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think Koisuru Yankee Girl is romance enough for here, rather than one of the slice of life threads I guess. I wasn't super on board with it at first in no small part to the font the translation used but it got better and I rather like it at the moment. The grandma in the new chapter is pretty, pretty good.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, it started off shaky and I was afraid it'd just be bad but it's actually ended up pretty cute, especially now that the joke appears to be no longer be 'oh my god i am terrified of and hate this'.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
In today's Kaguya, progress, of a sort

Also, Hayasaka is the best

edit:

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 23, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
just an FYI for anyone who picked up Don't Be Cruel recently, there's a series of djs/extras by the author you can find under the title Yasashiku Shinaide. Another chapter of it just got released/reuploaded and that reminded me to mention it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Tarezax posted:

In today's Kaguya, progress, of a sort

Also, Hayasaka is the best

edit:

In terms of will they/won't they romcoms I think the reason I like Kaguya, compared to say Tomo (which is fine but the main romance is barf), is that ultimately both parties for all their comedic antics and shenanigans and "haha I am so much smarter than you!" shticks are still pretty sympathetic with some subtle and not-so-subtle faults that they hopefully/presumably will get over with in time. I feel actually kind of invested at this point that the president gets over his inferiority complex, or that Kaguya can start to be honest, etc. Plus it looks nice and the supporting cast is pretty well rounded out between Hayasaka and the secretary.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Today is Pygmalio day; 4 chappies.

http://bato.to/reader#3238ca8b96106327_2

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nate RFB posted:

and the supporting cast is pretty well rounded out between Hayasaka and the secretary.

How could you forget Ishigami?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
And don't forget this chapter's totally new character Haysaka A. Smithee.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
The childhood arc in Tomo has done a good job of making me like and understand Jun.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Either Hayasaka is WAY too trusting of the President or deep down hates Kaguya or maybe I've just seen too many bad situations because that whole setup left me a little uneasy.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Agronox posted:

Either Hayasaka is WAY too trusting of the President or deep down hates Kaguya or maybe I've just seen too many bad situations because that whole setup left me a little uneasy.

Hayasaka knows this isn't that type of manga.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

*in crysis voice*

MAXIMUM  TAMBOURINE

http://bato.to/reader#f31ba615091c4943_1

I like the slow reveal over the course of the manga so far that Kuzumi is both aware of her feelings and is 100% on board

there's subtle hints of it earlier too

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

jackofarcades posted:

The childhood arc in Tomo has done a good job of making me like and understand Jun.

I understand Jun more and yet somehow this paints a dark picture of his current state of mind. It's just me though.

coathat
May 21, 2007

That last chapter was loving metal.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

coathat posted:

That last chapter was loving metal.

I love Pele.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Hell yeah the new volume of Mori no Takuma-san is coming out http://bato.to/reader#220fc51e92017c3d

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

this dude makes the mistake of being awful to the nice ms croco....

...some sins can't be forgiven...............................

http://bato.to/reader#e8ee263e7923aa09

coathat
May 21, 2007

The punishment is insane death.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Sharkopath posted:

this dude makes the mistake of being awful to the nice ms croco....

...some sins can't be forgiven...............................

http://bato.to/reader#e8ee263e7923aa09

how dare he do that to the best best friend character in a shoujo manga

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Compendium posted:

Screaming Classroom is pretty decent if you don't mind creepy pasta esque stories and terrible things happening to children

Screaming Classroom is actually kinda cute because it reads like the sort of stories elementary students would tell each other. Some of them are definitely legitimately creepy and/or scary, but it also has a distinctly "childlike" quality to it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Alder posted:

Horror and shoujo is a rare story :smith:

I feel like there's psychological horror but nothing I can say this is a good example series. Does Ghost Hunt count? I read the manga and anime.

There were multiple shoujo and josei mags that dealt only in horror but only some of them have been translated, there was a big wave in the 80s - early 90s but it has slowed down a bit since those heady days

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 25, 2016

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Compendium posted:

how dare he do that to the best best friend character in a shoujo manga

Amit is the best he must be destroyed

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

There were multiple shoujo and josei mags that dealt only in horror but only some of them have been translated, there was a big wave in the 80s - early 90s but it has slowed down a bit since those heady days

That's disappointing. I don't mind reading older manga but apart from extremely famous titles it's a challenge to find anyone still interested in scanlating them vs the latest titles.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Alder posted:

That's disappointing. I don't mind reading older manga but apart from extremely famous titles it's a challenge to find anyone still interested in scanlating them vs the latest titles.

Mononoke Soushi is one of my favorite Horror Josei, it's more dreamlike than actual horror but has plenty of grotesqueness without being disgusting.

Also it's done and finished.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sharkopath posted:

Mononoke Soushi is one of my favorite Horror Josei, it's more dreamlike than actual horror but has plenty of grotesqueness without being disgusting.

hey do you remember when I suggested that in that old horror thread and you told me to get out :mad:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

hey do you remember when I suggested that in that old horror thread and you told me to get out :mad:

It was an incredibly quick turnaround to me liking it and saying it belongs.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Also in my defense you said it wasn't scary, so I said then it doesn't belong in the scary comic thread!!!!!

say tan
Sep 25, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Sharkopath posted:

http://www.ceiling-gallery.com/blog/2015/10/6/halloween

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The new chapter of Namaikizakari is good, it's nice to see the younger characters growing and stepping up. One of the things I like about this manga in general is how time has progressed all the way through -- one of the conflicts is how they're limited in the time they have together as classmates and teammates and I think it's done a good job keeping that consistent and using it to push everything forward.

also I love how dumb they all are lol

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

A bunch of new chapters of U.

It's mega intense and mega surreal, really cool josei

coathat
May 21, 2007

Makes me want to hit up a taco truck.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I wanna know what her note said.

If it was a note, and not just a piece of paper in the frame while he reacted to melting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

I read it. It's a good manga. Time to keep searching for horror by the same manga-ka.

edit: there's like nothing else :smith:

Alder fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 27, 2016