Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

Two teenage girls in a comics shop, and neither of them had to point it out! It's like it's totally normal and they're not trying to prove that the author is really a nerd! Wowsers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Julet Esqu posted:

Ces is a treasure.

Why am I not following him on Facebook already? I mean, I'm already following Stephen Pastis and Charles Boyce.

Luann

SONOFABITCH

quote:

Mordock999 GoComics PRO Member said, about 19 hours ago
Say, ‘Doormat’…, Uh, I MEAN’ Gunther, You DO Know that if You DO this thing for Lu, that You can present a ‘Bill’ for Your ‘Services,’ Right?
And NO, I’m NOT talking about ‘money’….,

I would stop here, but there are actually some other good ones as well.

quote:

Brdshtt GoComics PRO Member said, about 19 hours ago
The Ballad of Gunther
He was timid, wore a beard, and sewed with the best,
With a backpack over his red plaid vest.
He could be mean and surly right clear through,
Which was kinda weird, ’cause he was yellow too.
They called him Gunther.
Big Gunther.
Big, timid Gunther.
Big, timid, sissy Gunther.
The hundred and forty-second fastest sartorialist in the West.
He came from the old Pitts High School spread,
With 10-gallons of curl relaxer on his head.
He always followed his mother’s wishes,
Even on the range he used two sets of dishes.
Gunther.
Big, timid Gunther.
Big timid, sissy Gunther.
There was a wedding ceremony that was about to convene,
And the town said, “Gunther, we need your sewing machine!”
When the ceremony started at the break of dawn,
Gunther’s sewing machine was there, but Gunther was gone.
Gunther.
Big, timid Gunther.
Big timid, sissy Gunther.
Big timid, sissy, deserter Gunther.
Really…

quote:

Fiendly Neighbourhood Terrorist (Justice For Michael_wme!) GoComics PRO Member said, about 18 hours ago
Gunther can give her his Billy the Bookworm costume.
Where’s the Feather? Isn’t he living with Gunther anymore? Isn’t Miss Inner Beauty upset or worried at the idea of meeting him? Or, like Mini Elvis, has he forever disappeared into the Memory Hole where characters and plotlines Evans gives up on go?

quote:

IamJayBluE said, about 15 hours ago
“She Blinded Me With Sequins” (♫)
“It’s Hip To Be A T Square” (♫)
“I’m Too Sexy For This Draft, Too Sexy For This Draft…” (♪)
“Got That A, All Sewed Up!”
“Don’t Use A Whiteboard, After Labor Day”
“Blueprint Is The New Black”
“Test Patterns”
“The Captain And Tensile” (♪)
“Nuts.And Bolts… And Bolts…”
“The Sultan Of Swath”
“The Modal Model”
“Trial And Wearer”
“A Boa For A Plumber’s Snake”
“Stuck A Feather In His Plans, And Called It Versace Worthy” (♪)
“Structural Integrity….And Fashionable, To Boot”
“The Pen Is Prettier Than The Sword”
or….
“Does This Can Opener Make Me Look Fat?”

Fort Knox

Flying Mccoys

Dustin

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

EasyEW posted:

Pogo (September 15-17, 1958)

Uh oh. Is this a Cute Bunny strip?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

TofuDiva posted:

Uh oh. Is this a Cute Bunny strip?

Cute bunny strips were usually nothing but bunnies, and sometimes they were even tagged "special" where the date usually went, but something suspicious (or just plain inept) seems to be going on here anyway, since the Times-Picayune of New Orleans decided to print a rerun from June.

(The real September 17, 1958 (from Dallas); click for slightly bigger.)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set makes sacrifices.

Working Daze was just trying to help.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix has a deeper meaning.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise
Wow. Everyone is just totally unconcerned about sex trafficking. :stare:

:neckbeard:

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Ces IS a treasure. I kept it together until the Mark Trail and Mary Worth stills, then totally cracked up. That man is a ray of sunshine in a cloudy, boring, soap-comic world.

I'm out of town for work for the next few days - so I'll see y'all next week.

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbursts of Everett True (July, 1915)

And He Died.

Guess If They Are Married!

Banana Oil!

The Gay Thirties (January 1935)

They’ll Do It Everytime (December 1939)

Mopsy (June, 1940)

Feiffer (click for big) (1967)

Jaf

Andy Capp (click for big) (September, 1970)

Mr. Tweedy (September, 1970)

Wee Pals (click for big) (October 1970)

Richard’s Poor Almanac

Dick Tracy (July 2009)

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

TBH, gently caress your traditions.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Well that explains that weird bit, um... what, three, four months ago?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

catlord posted:

Well that explains that weird bit, um... what, three, four months ago?
Almost exactly three months, based on my imgur albums. Compared to the cave storyline this plot is hauling rear end.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Barney & Clyde

I don't get it.

Betty

Just curious if anyone who hasn't read the preceding strips can tell what the joke is supposed to be here?

The Creeps

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

Garfield

Ginger Meggs

Heart of the City

Henry

Lockhorns

I was about to question how old Leroy is supposed to be, but that led me to looking up telegrams and apparently they've actually only been phased out quite recently. I don't know who was still sending telegrams in the 21st century or why, but you could.

Moose and Molly

Office Hours

Pickles

I'm guessing the other one is adultery, meaning that he does spread lies, worship false gods, and make idols.

Reply All

Speechless

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

James Allen is terrible. He's like the triple threat - can't pace, can't plot, can't draw.

And on top of that he does no research.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

James Allen is terrible. He's like the triple threat - can't pace, can't plot, can't draw.

And on top of that he does no research.

He's also a climate change denier doing a nominally environmental comic, just for extra bonus points.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Tiggum posted:

The Creeps

More please

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Never don't post The Creeps.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Zereth posted:

Never don't post The Creeps.
I just post whatever I feel like. If you want to see a particular comic every day, don't rely on me. This especially applies to stuff like The Creeps that's all reruns.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

Tiggum posted:

Speechless

Wow, what's this then?

Post more.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life is spending the week recapping the events of last week, which took the entire prior week's worth of planning.

Take It From the Tinkersons :butt: :gas:

Dark Side of the Horse is not an edit, I swear. :psyduck:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Just curious if anyone who hasn't read the preceding strips can tell what the joke is supposed to be here?

"The ringtone I use for this woman is a cow moo."

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life is spending the week recapping the events of last week, which took the entire prior week's worth of planning.

In conclusion, folks, trying new things and socializing with people outside your clique is bad.

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Skippy (July 25, 1929)

Peanuts, in which nobody told Charlie Brown to show up for his greatest victory. (September 25, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

I know she's missing an arm, but where the hell did her teeth go?

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (November 11-12, 1929)

Thimble Theater, in which true love runs into complications. (April 11, 1930)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse is not an edit, I swear. :psyduck:

The horse realises his terrible meme comic is bad, and does not attempt to get it published either in papers or online. A good comic.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Does this sound normal to any of you? "It's your dad" rather than "It's dad" sounds really odd to me. I can't imagine anyone I know saying it like that.

Aside from telling an actual joke which might be funny in a strip that didn't look like a fart, I have a probably :corsair: question about this one too. I certainly remember "fart" being, if not a cuss word per se, then at least a word one does not say in polite company. A word kids use but they don't say in front of adults, like. Certainly not something to show up on the funny pages. Is this regional or generational or what? Is "fart" ok for kids cartoons and such now?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

This is magnificent.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Trent posted:

Does this sound normal to any of you? "It's your dad" rather than "It's dad" sounds really odd to me. I can't imagine anyone I know saying it like that.

Mine does.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Trent posted:

Aside from telling an actual joke which might be funny in a strip that didn't look like a fart, I have a probably :corsair: question about this one too. I certainly remember "fart" being, if not a cuss word per se, then at least a word one does not say in polite company. A word kids use but they don't say in front of adults, like. Certainly not something to show up on the funny pages. Is this regional or generational or what? Is "fart" ok for kids cartoons and such now?

As a parent of a ten-year-old and hence a consumer of children's media: yes. Bodily functions are an easy way to get cheap laughs in a kids' movie. Hell, The Angry Birds Movie earlier this year had a joke about drinking piss.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Trent posted:

"It's your Dad" is a little weird. It's weirder to get a call from a parent requesting to be cheered up. Maybe my dad is just unusually stoic, but I can't picture him ever doing that. Or if he did, just making it a normal call and not admitting to feeling down.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (August 30, 1951)

Nancy (October 14, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (June 27, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (July 12, 1923)

Barney Google (July 13, 1922)

Alley Oop (October 12, 1933)

Lil' Abner (March 11, 1937)

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011

Bobulus posted:

"It's your Dad" is a little weird. It's weirder to get a call from a parent requesting to be cheered up. Maybe my dad is just unusually stoic, but I can't picture him ever doing that. Or if he did, just making it a normal call and not admitting to feeling down.

Same, and if my dad did do this, he wouldn't then poo poo all over me in reply to the first thing I say.

On a different note, I really enjoyed Arlo and Janis this week. Actually I consistently enjoy that strip. I like the banter and I like the little romantic and sentimental moments between them. Very sweet.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

painynumbs posted:

Same, and if my dad did do this, he wouldn't then poo poo all over me in reply to the first thing I say.
Well yeah, this is Dustin's dad here. making GBS threads on Dustin is how he planned to cheer himself up.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Strontium posted:

Girl stuff is lovely and dumb. Boys stuff forever! Yay!

Luann

And then they both get expelled for plagiarism because they both turned in the same assignment.

The Amazing Spider-Man

But JJJ does know Spidey's involved, doesn't he? Didn't Spidey web up 3J's gun a couple days ago? Or did I just dream that?

Huh. So yes and no, I guess.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Sadly, this is 1959 and we can't interpret this as a double entendre.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Slammy posted:

And He Died.

What year is this from because I very much want to believe it's from 1995.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I see the Evans know as much about engineering as they do about art and running a cafe.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Strontium posted:

"For the win."

Yeah, that's a thing nerds still unironically say in 2016.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Evil Mastermind posted:

"For the win."

Yeah, that's a thing nerds still unironically say in 2016.

Sadly, they still do. :smith:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Slammy posted:

Ces IS a treasure. I kept it together until the Mark Trail and Mary Worth stills, then totally cracked up. That man is a ray of sunshine in a cloudy, boring, soap-comic world.
I should clarify for the record: I don't think he made that video, just linked it.

Regardless, he is great. He's not too annoying on facebook either, although I get tired of the cat/dog poetry he sometimes posts, particularly when a new book is coming out. But those books are doing a lot for him so I'll deal with it. Just not so much my thing.

Julet Esqu posted:

Ces is a treasure.

Why am I not following him on Facebook already? I mean, I'm already following Stephen Pastis and Charles Boyce.
Charles Boyce is on facebook? Does he update a lot? Is it bizarre?

treasureplane posted:

Barney Google (July 13, 1922)

The guy looks like he's walking away from the table into a wind tunnel.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

"So, you have my permission to 'tap that,' as they say."

Secret Agent X-9

"No, you listen while I tell you about something called the 4th Amendment."

Apartment 3-G

She looks a little like an older version of Elizabeth Montgomery from Bewitched. I mean older than she was on the show.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Johnny Walker posted:

"So, you have my permission to 'tap that,' as they say."

You know, I honestly think that's where this is going. Only eccentric old ladies are allowed to be unhappy in Rex Morgan.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Charles Boyce is on facebook? Does he update a lot? Is it bizarre?

First I want to say outright that I sent a friend request out of curiosity, not for trolling purposes. I don't think you're accusing me of that, but I don't want anybody getting the idea that I want to be mean to Charles Boyce. All evidence points to him being a very nice man and I don't want to bother him. Even if his FB were completely bonkers I would have a purely Look, But Don't Touch policy.

That said, his Facebook is pretty normal. I think maybe the descriptor I'm looking for is "pleasant." He doesn't really post about his comic or about technology or anything like that. Mostly it's about events he's attended or sharing about awards and honors given to people he admires. It's very nice and low key and I like to see that he seems to be doing well.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Indolent Bastard posted:

Sadly, they still do. :smith:

I'm Chris Hardwick and nerd poo poo is #ForTheWin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Considering that they put young women in turtlenecks and loving vests in Luann, I can't wait to see the abomination that this bridesmaid dress will be.

• Locked thread