Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

berryjon posted:

If someone could find a good picture of a lizardman on a horse, I would be in your debt. My GoogleFu has failed me.
:france:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

berryjon posted:

If someone could find a good picture of a lizardman on a horse, I would be in your debt. My GoogleFu has failed me.

(Okay, the pistol is a little anachronistic :v:)

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I found that one, TMA, but had to dismiss it due to the gun. Otherwise, it would have been perfect.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

berryjon posted:

I found that one, TMA, but had to dismiss it due to the gun. Otherwise, it would have been perfect.

Okay, then.

:v:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Update 037 – Dellston and the Caves of the Giants

"Dammit. Couldn't find the Captain that we're supposed to talk to regarding the dragons."

"Don't be so down on yourself. He or she may be on patrol, or in one of the towns surrounding the lake to the north. People move around, you know."

"He does have a point. Perhaps we should come back later, or we will find this person elsewhere."

"You guys are back already?"

"Sadly, yes."

"How is it going?"

"There are no words."

"Stupid horse! Stupid Lizard!"

"THIS IS THE GREATEST THING EVER!"

Credit to Rockopolis on the SA Forums for finding this image for me.

"You're right. There are no words to describe this."

"I will treasure this image for the rest of my days."

"It's beautiful."

"Well, that's enough. Everyone onto a horse."

So. Horses. They have one major advantage over walking around. Namely, they get two moves for the one move everyone else takes, allowing you to flee from random encounters. And because they move twice as fast, that means they can cover twice the ground in the same time frame. And in a region as large as Valorim, having horses makes some limits possible.

Also, Horses can't go 'inside', which means they have to stay out of buildings. Not a big problem. It's not like I'm going to ride one up onto a king's table at some point, right?

"WHEEEE!!!!!"

"...."

"Thank you, but we don't need the food. Save it for yourselves."

"Art, honey?"

"What?"

"Are you alright?"

"What makes you say that?"

"You're... I shall say more ... focused."

"What of it?"

"It's just you've had this look since you and the Dervish talked in private. Is there anything you want to share?"

"SASS! Get back here!"

"WHEEEEEE!"

"You don't have to ask that question. You may not like the answer."

"Is that a warning, or a promise?"

"Which do you want it to be?"

"Neither. I doubt anyone would question your integrity."

"Hey, can we at least keep the mountains to one side? That way I have better chances of corralling Sass."

"Good luck with that."

"Hey look! That's a huge sign!"

"Hah! Does that mean that Sass and I can advance undisturbed?"

"On the other hand, it also doesn't forbid the Troglodytes. Which in a way means they want them to come. To fight, even."

"Don't care. We have a job to do."

"What's that, to the north? Before the town."

"Let's stop at the town, see if anyone can tell us anything."

:science:

"This place has seen better days."

"Welcome to Dellston. I don't know what brings you here, but your life is in your hands."

"Understood."

To get on a horse, simply move onto it. To get off, simply click on the party to no-move, and you'll get off Horses stay were you left them.

"Wait, you hear that?"

"It's from the south side of town!"

Dellston is under regulal attack from Giants. It's not part of the failure state for this quest, but it does go to show that things are not happy. I'm also too far away from the fight as I don't figure out where it is until its too late.

Dammit! The Mad Monk is one of those NPC types that outside of a certain area we've already been to, indicates that they are a named NPC. Which means that if I want to talk to them, I'll need to reset the town. Which means visiting at least two or three other places first. I do, however, remember to check back in at the end of the recording session, so you'll see that in the relevant update.

"Who goes there?"

A wizard of the Empire army patrols the town, looking carefully for breaches in the walls. He stops to you can talk to him, but he doesn't stop watching the walls.

"Hello sir. Just passing through. You are?"

"I am Macitar the Wizard. I command the garrison of Dellston. I repair the walls when they get broken." He turns to you and fixes you with a steely gaze. "And I have little love for Exiles."

"This must be a stressful command, Master Wizard."

"I've sworn to defend this city, or die trying. It's a draining task, especially since it keeps me from my first love, teaching."

"What do you teach?"

He thinks, grimly. "I have little love for Exiles, but much love for teaching magic. Also, I know you fight the same foes as us. You may purchase a few of my spells, if you wish."

"Before we get to that, what do you have against Exiles?"

"Exiles slew Garzahd, the greatest Empire mage for a century, perhaps in history. He was a dark man, and little loved, but he was the greatest of our number, and such crimes are seldom forgiven."

A very nuanced response. You don't really expect someone to admit that yet, person 'X' was an rear end in a top hat, and probably deserved it. But it didn't have to be done like that.

"How do you repair the walls?

"I use force barriers. The fastest and easiest way to repair the breaches the giants' boulders make in our walls.”

“Let's see what spells you are willing to let us buy, please.”

Both level 6 spells. I pick up Kill for Niarl and Matthias, though in retrospect I shouldn't have. Not because of the price, but because I can get them elsewhere later. And it's not like I can cast them yet!

“Here's where that fight happened.”

“Loot!”

“And this looks like an inn.”

“Hello there!” The inn is kept by a middle aged, pleasant, matronly looking woman. The battle axe strapped across her back looks out of place, but she seems comfortable with it. She grins warmly. “Call me Rita, ducks. Get comfortable.”

“What's a duck?”

“Water Fowl.”

“Who would want to foul water? And I would never do such a thing! Eeeww!”

:doh:

“Fowl, with a W is another word for bird.”

“Oh!”

“You're an innocent one, aren't you? I run the inn. Soldiers and refugees need a safe place to stay.”

“You get a lot of refugees?”

She shakes her head. “Poor lambs. What can you give them, besides a kind word and a safe place to rest?”

She looks embarrassed. “Mercy me, where are my manners? You don't want to jaw, you want to rest! We have a clean room for only five gold. No alcohol left, but we do have good coffee. Only one gold!”

“What's coffee?”

“Oh, you are in for a treat!”

“Here you are, lambs.” The coffee is black, acrid, bitter and leaves a thick residue on the inside of your mouth. It's perfect.

I think I now know how Jeff Vogel takes his drink.

“Nothing to see here.”

“This is a funny sign!”

Generic store though. Nothing out of the ordinary. I only do business with named shopkeepers now!

“You know, there's a gap between the fletchers and the supply shop to the east that may hold something.”

“You sure?”

“Yeah.”

“There's a body here!”

I love the story this tells, found in this secret passage.

“I can handle this.”

:blargh:

“I'll heal!” :catholic:

“Loot!”

“That's enough. Let's ride.”

“YAY!”

“Now you're doing it on purpose!”

“HOLD UP!”

“Please don't tell me you're thinking of a frontal assault?”

“No. Let's look around a bit first.”

“Hail!”

“Can't fix everything overnight.”

“No, we can't.”

“Looks like another way in, blocked off.”

“Hey, there's a crack here.”

“Or not.”

“No. I have a bad feeling about this. Let's keep looking around.”

“There are a lot of rocks here.”

“Huh. Who knew they were so concerned with aerodynamics?”

“Dead end.”

“But we're just north of the Troglodyte Temple. I think we've gone too far.”

“But there's a pass up there!”

“Are you sure?”

“Right here!”

“Huh. So there was.”

“What's that though?”

“Don't know. Don't care. CHARGE!”

“Not to sound the alarm or anything aside from the usual about getting into fights like this, but what are those?”

“Gorgons?”

Art has the Helm of Alertness. Bronwyn has the Ring of Resistance. They're both the best choice to beat these guys down in melee while everyone else casts spells. Even Sass can get in the spring of things with Fireball now!

“Ugh, are you sure these are Gorgons?”

“Too busy burning things!” :flame:

“...”

They're not a threat. Just a random encounter in a fixed location.

“Alright, that's enough of that. Let's do this.”

“Options?”

“I don't think there's a third way in.”

“I didn't see one either.”

“Forward attack then.”

“Oh come on! Give me a challenge!”

“Not as powerful as their Troglodyte contemporaries, but much better physically.”

“These guys, however, are just as good as the Troglos. Except better ranged work.”

“Done.”

“How do we keep winning these fights?”

“Because we're amazing!”

“I don't think about it too much.”

“No passage this time.” :(

“We should hide the horses before we enter.”

“Stay safe, horsies!”

“Well, isn't this a welcome party.”

“And vastly cheerful.”

“It's actually a nice set up. There's only one way across the lava, and the Giants can focus their defenses there. How are we going to handle that?”

“By going around.”

“Again. How?”

“Go to one side, cast Firewalk, cross over, and come at them from the side.”

“Like this.”

“Oh, you poor Giants. No wait. Not poor at all. Anyone want to negotiate?”

“I don't think anyone wants to talk.”

“We swing north first, then around the caves as best we can. Keep on the lookout for any captives or keepsakes.”

“And the map to the hidden tunnel.”

“Sounds like a lot of jobs.”

“Perhaps.”

“You want to go down?”

“Just long enough for Matthias to scry and map it.”

“Ready.”

“I think this is an isolated area. We can explore it first, then return to the upper caverns.”

“And as you need to cross the lava to get here, if the responding giants can't find us, they may leave the caves instead to look for us.”

“That's nice, but there's no way off this island.”

“I can step here!”

“Really?”

“Yeah! There's something just under the water you can walk on here, like a path!”

“A path to where?”

“Click?”

“Curious. That platform wasn't there before.”

“And it leads to here.”

“Which raises this platform.”

“And gets us to here.”

“Time to break out that Dispel Spell again.”

“Let's see what we have here.”

If there's one thing I found about this dungeon, is that there are random large amounts of gold in chests scattered about. Also, the Red Sword is a unique unidentified identifier for a unique weapon – the Flaming Sword. Once I get it ID'd properly, it's in serious contention to replace Bronwyn's current weapon. I'll get to that later.

“That's enough of that. Let's go up, and see what's left.”

“If I don't miss my guess, this is a marker for a specific clan's territory.”

“Another path down. Not taking it?”

“No.”

“Ah, here's the welcoming committee.” :science:

Throws big rocks? Just bigger numbers. But mine are even bigger. ;)

“Fine manual dexterity? Not surprising, really.”

“Here's something.”

“Think there's more?”

“I would count on it.”

“This is a curious little room.”

“It's not a room.”

“It's a cell.”

You find a human prisoner, a warrior from the the Empire army. They're only dressed in rags now, but in good shape otherwise. They jump up to greet you.

“Soldier.”

“Ma'am! I'm so relived you're here. I was afraid I was abandoned. Can you help me escape?”

“That's the plan. But the escape isn't ready yet.”

“We'll be back.”

“I'll be ready, sir. But be vigilant. There are a few others like me.”

“Flaming poop?”

“Still, there's something back here!”

“No, not really.”

“No, there's something at the end!”

“Nice. Free boat!”

“At least it's big enough for all of us.”

“Or two giants.”

“I don't feel like dropping in at this point. Let's see where we can go with the boat first.”

“Established temple.”

“I see a point to land!”

“I suppose these locks would be difficult for giant hands.”

“The Ring is cursed. It'll weigh its wearer down.”

I do some identifying at this point, and Brownwyn has a choice:
or

I go with the Flaming Sword because while the average damage is less, the Flaming effect will double the damage against non-Fire Immune targets. And it stacks with Assassination!

“More cells.”

“Rescue?”

“Not yet. Still securing it. We'll be back.”

“Too late for this one.”

“Huh. Didn't expect ogres.”

“What happened to working from the top?”

“I changed my mind after heading down the water there.”

“...”

“Well, there's enemies, so we're obviously doing something right.”

“What does this say?”

“Well, that's just too bad. I have a Flaming Sword, hohoho!”

“Hold on. There should be something on the other side.”

“See? It looks like another cell.”

“We'll get back to that in a moment. I'm more interested in these doors over here.”

“Different style of walls, that's for sure.”

“Ow! Invisible enemies!”

Guardians aren't really a threat. I also forget to scry them because they're invisible. :sigh

Also, look at that damage from Bronwyn!

“Let's go check out that cell now.”

“No escape yet?”

“Not yet.”

This dungeon is pretty long, so I'm going to cut it short here, and pick up next time.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 21, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Those cells are kind of distressingly human-sized.

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
I had tried looking for "Lizardman riding Horse" earlier before the update, and I was shocked at how few results there were. I could only find one, and it was a really rough sketch and had a werewolf in it for some reason.

Also, I noticed you posted this image twice. Was there supposed to be something else? Just warning you in case.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Glazius posted:

Those cells are kind of distressingly human-sized.
The Giants to have Ogres as servants as well. It's not well advertised, but they're there. They're closer to human sized.

LuffyVeggies posted:

Also, I noticed you posted this image twice. Was there supposed to be something else? Just warning you in case.

Thanks. Fixed that. Just a copy/paste error.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
When playing, the Giants place is the first dungeon that really stood out to me as being large, probably in part by how much health the enemies all have. But there's a lot of stuff to do there.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Huh, I always entered this dungeon from the other entrance. It gives you a nice little lead-in before you get to this floor, which in my opinion is much of the "meat" of the dungeon.

I'm also pretty sure I completely missed the Flaming Sword the last time I played through. Which is a pity, because the Flaming special attribute is far and away the best one if your priority is dealing damage.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm also pretty sure I completely missed the Flaming Sword the last time I played through. Which is a pity, because the Flaming special attribute is far and away the best one if your priority is dealing damage.

Oh, before you get worried, I also picked up the other special weapon in this set of dungeons.

Although now that I think about it, Vogel really likes the whole "Two dungeons on the overworld connected by a third dungeon that can't access the Overworld" thing, isn't he?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

berryjon posted:

Oh, before you get worried, I also picked up the other special weapon in this set of dungeons.
I wasn't going to say anything! That one at least is pretty hard to miss, if I recall correctly.

quote:

Although now that I think about it, Vogel really likes the whole "Two dungeons on the overworld connected by a third dungeon that can't access the Overworld" thing, isn't he?

He does. I think it gives the dungeons a good sense of place by having them be ways to get from point A to point B in addition to just being lairs for a bunch of monsters. It's also decent design sense -- you don't want your enemies to be able to easily bottle you up by just blockading one entrance. Not that the Lorelei military has the initiative / authority needed to lay siege to the giants anyway.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

berryjon posted:

To get on a horse, simply move onto it. To get off, simply click on the party to no-move, and you'll get off Horses stay were you left them.
Weirdness note: The definition of "indoors" versus "outdoors" is defined by the tile itself. So those white tiles will always count as "indoors" and inaccessible to horses, regardless if they're surrounded by outdoors grass tiles (as here) or in the middle of an intact building.

quote:

The way Gorgons are drawn here has always confused the hell out of me - even when I was like 10 and playing this game for the first time. Why sunglasses? Do monsters really have to worry about retina damage? They also oddly remind me of legendary soul singer Ray Charles.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Update 038 – The Caverns of the Giants (2) and the Caverns of the Shamans

"Another passage down."

“Art, you need to slow down.”

“I agree. You are acting in haste.”

“I am not.”

“You are. Truly. You're driven, yes. But you're also not paying attention.”

“What are you talking about?”

“They're saying you're not yourself.”

“And who, but me, knows who I am?”

“Great Serpents? Dragons? Drakes?”

“It's obvious you knew that Dervish from before your Exile. Did she say something to threaten you, or someone still in the Empire?”

“No. Why would you think that?”

:black101:

“It's just ... we keep saying this, but I don't think you're listening.”

“No, she's listening. She's just not hearing.”

“Can we focus on the Giants?”

“I am!”

“Well, perhaps we can shelve this discussion for later?”

“That seems like a good idea.”

Eyebeasts are back, and while they're not a threat in the long run, their ability to drain Spell Points could be a concern. Except everyone except Bronwyn has some, so they won't focus their ability while in groups.

I also wanted to show off the difference between Assassination and not. Here is Bronwyn hitting the Eyebeast, first with the bonus Assassination damage, and then again without (as it didn't proc). As mentioned in the thread, the Flaming quality is probably the best augmentation you can get for sheer damage potential.

“Well, that was a nice stretch.”

“Weird. No traps.”

“Perhaps they are offerings, not treasures?”

“Still, I cannot help but suspect that there is still a trap here.”

“If there is, it's purely magical, and nothing physical.”

“How did the Giants get their hands on a Pheonix Egg?”

“WHO CARES? RUN!”

“What happened to the doors?!?!?”

“There's one over here! It's a secret!”

So, you grab the loot, and the obvious doors go away and the secret exit opens up. My first try (always save before touching stuff!) had me search in the wrong direction, and everyone died except Sass. So I reloaded, and here we are.

“Thought I smelled cooked meat!”

:black101: “That's you!”

“You really like that sword, don't you?”

“It's on Fire!”

“Hold on, more enemies are coming to investigate.”

I love how the blood splatter grows as more and more enemies die on the tile. Also, chokepoints FTW.

“So, while you were busy holding off the random hordes, I figured out what that knife was.”

“I'll take that. I'll be a nice compliment to my bow.”

“Welcome to the 'my weapon is venomous' club!”

“As long as they don't start calling it a 'Venomous Blade', I think we'll be fine.”

“Hah! I actually had people try calling my swords that years ago. I corrected them. This was, mind you, before we officially met the Vahnatai.”

“After this segment, I think the only place left to check will be the south-east corner.”

“How about we deal with the Giants in front of us first?”

“Hello! I'm here to make you an offer. Let us pass, and we'll work to let you fight the Troglodytes instead. How about it?”

“DIYE HOOMINZ!”

“It was a boring conversation anyway.”

“Scrying indicates more cells to the west.”

“At ease soldier. We're working on the escape.”

“And another way down. This must be a very comprehensive set of caverns.”

“And Barriers to overcome. Allow me.”

“Couple chests back here. Let's have a look....”

You don't get a chance to disarm these traps. They happen automatically. Which is annoying. Also, I got a screencap of the damage happening.

“THAT'S NOT FAIR!”

“What kind of potion weighs 70 stone?”

“It doesn't appear to be Giant's draught.”

“Hold on, I see something here.”

“That's another thing for the Commander.”

“By my reckoning, that's everything in the nor'west corner. Shall we finish our tour?”

“I'm for that.”

“And we can add Nagas to the list of things out here. Great.”

“Why would the Giants worship the Nagas?”

“Magical ability, perhaps?”

This message is better triggered when you first enter the central cavern from the entrance. I was headed out of that cavern instead, and thus the message didn't make immediate sense. Share in my confusion!

“Let's see here....”

“Pocket change for Giants, a shield, and lots of gabage.”

“Empty... empty... Useless... Found something!”

“I smell clean air!”

“As do I. But it's not really from the entrance, is it?”

“Here we go. And we've wiped out the immediate garrison. Let's go round up the captives.”

“I wonder how they'll react to knowing that Exiles saved them.”

“We'll see when we get back to Lorelei.”

“On your feet, soldier! Time to escape!”

“Bye!”

“Second one rescued.”

“Number three.”

“And that's all of them, I think.”

“What next?”

“We haven't found the missing map yet. It's probably further in.”

“Seems like a plan to me. Now, where was the nearest stairs down?”

“Across the hall.”

“Lots of ways around. We could be flanked easily.”

“Very... rustic?”

“Definitely not for the horticulture.”

“Horror-what?”

“Farming.”

“And there's the welcoming party. Hello! We're here to solve all your problems. Care to help?”

“What about you?”

“Art, are you alright? You're being more sarcastic than normal.”

“I'm just frustrated, that's all.”

“You know, there's options for that. Potions even.”

“...”

“Say another word, and you'll regret it.”

:smug:

“Argh! So many giants! I'm glad I have all these bolts.”

“And that you invested how much time into practise the last time we got training?”

“Ni'aurrl, tell me what you think of these graves.”

“Graves. Nothing more to it.”

“Hey! We're so lucky to find that key earlier! Imagine if we had to go looking for it.”

“That would be a nuisance.”

“The expected grasp of Imperial Common.”

“Small for a giant, that is.”

“What does this mean?”

“No idea. But I bet if we look around, we'll be able to find some note somewhere explaining it. So don't touch it for now, and we'll come back later.”

“But I wanted to play with it!”

“Don't worry. Maybe next time.”

Don't know if I scried or even encountered this monster before. So here it is anyway! Also dead.

“You know, there's something funny about Giants casting Smite.”

“I feel like I should be dead right now.”

“What's so funny?”

“Well, about ten years ago, a person I knew had a hammer named 'Smite' that was enchanted to be a Giant Bane weapon.”

“What happened to it?”

“Guy turned out to be an Empire double agent, took it back to the surface as a trophy, seems to have lost it, and then I killed him before blowing up his fortress and everything in a couple mile radius.”

“Awesome story!”

“What.”

“And these are interesting. The stones are piled higher.”

“They're piles of stones

“They're called cairns!”

“Anyway, I think that's all we can do on this side of the magma flow. Let's see what's on the other side, shall we?”

“Hi!”

“SMOOSH PUNI LIZHARD!”

:black101: “Bye!”

“Interesting setup here. Too bad this stuff is iron gear at most.”

“Yeah, not worth taking back to town to sell.”

“You know, we can head down the lava flow here. There's places we can stand while we Firewalk across.”

I'm an idiot, by the way. It takes until the next dungeon before I remember that Firewalk works in combat, meaning I can cover four times the distance per casting of the spell. Even more if the party is hasted first.

“About the only path.”

“What could be back here anyway?”

“Let me check my scry...”

“Well, there's something back here.”

“We should check it out!”

“Alright, give me a moment to rest up and cast that spell again.”

“I swear to everything I hold dear, if there are talking spiders back here, I will burn everything to the gound.”

“No chittering.”

“Or other signs of spiders.”

“I see worms!”

“Worms are a part of natural ecosystems. They're everywhere.”

“No, not those ones. Those ones!”

RED ALERT! ALL HANDS ON DECK! These guys are a serious threat, and not only because there's two of them. They can paralyze – meaning no actions with their attack, in addition to dishing out major poison. Oh, and their damage is 10d13. That averages out to about 70HP per hit, minus armor's damage reduction.

And this sort of thing can happen. So maximize the Buffs, and keep your fighters on the front line where they can take the damage, and you'll persevere after beating down their health.

“What are those things?!?”

“Shai-Hulud. Walk without rhythm, and you won't attract the worm.”

“A curious connection. But these are far too small for that.”

“There's a tiny passage back here. Art, can you Firewalk us?”

“Done!”

“Let's see here...”

:heh:

“What?”

“Matthias or Ni'aurrl?”

“Yes?”

“One of you guys needs to keep this. That's a Ring of Will.”

Anyone who's finished my E2 LP knows exactly where this is going.

“Alright, let's rest up and get back across the lava.”

“Nice Doggy!”

“No. Bad Doggy.”

“Looks like our temporary camp allowed some Giants to return.”

“Eh, we can take'm.”

“Eugh...”

“Not human though. Ogre.”

“They don't get funeral rites, it seems.”

“And you're alright with that?”

“We can ask this one! He looks smart!”

The real magical power behind the giants. Still not leadership though. And they don't show up enough to be a major threat. Just a secondary one.

“What horrible trap awaits us this time?”

“Nothing, it seems.”

“Another way up.”

“So, if the Worms weren't the Great Serpents, what are they then?”

“I really hope it's not a dragon.”

“Best be on our guard then.”

“Oh. Only Nagas.”

Nagas have received a massive buff in power over their Exile 2 counterparts. Don't assume this fight is easy. Because it's not. Nagas love to spam summoning spells:

And they're scaled to summon Fire Lizards as their primary response.

“Yeah, we really need to be careful. Enough that I think we should circle around first, then come back once we know we won't get distracted.”

“More giants!”

“You were expecting midgets?”

“Wow, deep.”

“Still not as interesting as this.”

Have I mentioned lately how much I love some of the incidental things you find in this game?

“These are not carving tools!”

“You have unbreakable magical lockpicks. Why do you want more?”

“So they can be respected properly, of course.”

“Not only is this deep, it's also the exit point for the magma flow.”

“And here it is.”

“I wonder how far it goes?”

“All the way to Castle Troglo.”

“Typical warning.”

“There's nothing we can do here. Come on.”

“Upwards.”

“No, not yet. Besides, we have giants here to take care of.”

“Like that!”

“I suppose all that's left is to take care of those 'Great Serpents'.

“And let me play with buttons!”

“Those too.”

“Click?”

“Ah. Trapped in here with them.”

“You have it backwards.”

“They're trapped in here with Art!”

Let's try this again.

Nope. Although Niarl's 2 points of luck did come in handy.

Not this time though.

This is attempt... six? Eventually, I decide to take a page out of the Naga's books, and spam my own summoning spells. With three people who can cast Sticks to Snakes, I flooded the room with targets, and waited on the Naga's to expend themselves on the chaff.

Uh.. this is the second time I've advocated the use of summon spells. After I've said multiple times they were useless.

Could I be... wrong?

Nah.

“Nice work!”

“There's a pressure plate here.”

“And another Click tells me we can leave now.”

“BUTTON TIME!”

So, puzzle time. There are seven buttons on the pedestal in the treasure room. Starting from the top, each button is pressed over this series of pictures. Note that this is cumulative, because I was silly enough to not reset it between each button press.

And about 10 minutes playing around later....

“I DID IT!”

“Whose idea was it again to let him press buttons randomly?”

“Matthias.”

:sigh:

“So, let's see what we have here.”

“All the cultural artifacts!”

“Don't forget the defenders.”

“How could I?”

“Done!”

“Loot time! Starting from the south-west corner, going counter clockwise.”

“Who are you announcing that too?”

“Uh... tradition?”

“Alright!”

The rest is junk. Or Gold. Seriously, check out how much I have now!

“And here it is!”

“Now we know where to go. It's only a matter of reaching it.”

“But, before we do that, there's something I want to check out first.”

“Ah, there's the Art we know. Always looking for something else to do.”

“I want to know what's down this way.”

berryjon fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 22, 2016

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016

berryjon posted:

So, you grab the loot, and the obvious doors go away and the secret exit opens up. My first try (always save before touching stuff!) had me search in the wrong direction, and everyone died except Sass. So I reloaded, and here we are.

I never realized that a hidden door existed. I always thought it was a cruel inescapable trap that Jeff Vogel wrote up for giggles. Guess I was wrong.

Also, you have statted the giant slugs before. There were some in the Filth Factory and one in the Slime Cave.

berryjon posted:

RED ALERT! ALL HANDS ON DECK! These guys are a serious threat, and not only because there's two of them. They can paralyze – meaning no actions with their attack, in addition to dishing out major poison. Oh, and their damage is 10d13. That averages out to about 70HP per hit, minus armor's damage reduction.

WHAT THE CHRIST. Dark Wyrms HERE?! Those things are end-game level threats, and they're hanging out in an out-of-the-way room in a midpoint plot dungeon?! Jesus... and I never found that area either! What are they even doing here?

And everything you just said about them is absolutely correct. Dark Wyrms are loving juggernauts - they hit hard, their poison level is among the worst in the game (you saw that it OBLITERATED Ni'aurrl), and they have tons of armor and HP. You NEED buffs and debuffs to take these things down. God help you if you have to fight two at once.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

LuffyVeggies posted:

WHAT THE CHRIST. Dark Wyrms HERE?! Those things are end-game level threats, and they're hanging out in an out-of-the-way room in a midpoint plot dungeon?! Jesus... and I never found that area either! What are they even doing here?

And everything you just said about them is absolutely correct. Dark Wyrms are loving juggernauts - they hit hard, their poison level is among the worst in the game (you saw that it OBLITERATED Ni'aurrl), and they have tons of armor and HP. You NEED buffs and debuffs to take these things down. God help you if you have to fight two at once.
Yes, HERE!. Yes, here. Guarding a Ring of Will apparently. Remember I had to raid a Rakshasa den for one in E2, and the other was found in the Tower's Random shop. I'm not guaranteed to see another for the entire game.

I also slightly cheesed the fight by drawing both into aggro, then retreating back across the webbing. They just plowed right through and lost a lot of AP in the process. That 3 you see in speed? That's after the webbing. They get multiple attacks a round.

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016

berryjon posted:

Yes, HERE!. Yes, here. Guarding a Ring of Will apparently. Remember I had to raid a Rakshasa den for one in E2, and the other was found in the Tower's Random shop. I'm not guaranteed to see another for the entire game.

I also slightly cheesed the fight by drawing both into aggro, then retreating back across the webbing. They just plowed right through and lost a lot of AP in the process. That 3 you see in speed? That's after the webbing. They get multiple attacks a round.

That explains why I never found a Ring of Will in my E3 playthroughs. This is the only one you can find without going to a random shop, I presume?

Also, I checked out their full stats in my own copy - that 3 speed is actually natural. They only have one attack per round. But frankly, with their poison on top of that, that's all they need.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

LuffyVeggies posted:

That explains why I never found a Ring of Will in my E3 playthroughs. This is the only one you can find without going to a random shop, I presume?

Also, I checked out their full stats in my own copy - that 3 speed is actually natural. They only have one attack per round. But frankly, with their poison on top of that, that's all they need.

As far as I know, yes, it's the only fixed Ring of Will in the game. This particular trio of dungeons is loaded to the gills with good stuff. That, plus how developed Lorelei is in relation to the other major cities makes me think these dungeons and quests were developed earlier in the process.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

LuffyVeggies posted:

I never realized that a hidden door existed. I always thought it was a cruel inescapable trap that Jeff Vogel wrote up for giggles. Guess I was wrong.

Yup, same with me.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

LuffyVeggies posted:

I love the mental image of someone getting poisoned so badly that it reduces them to a fine powder.

I never had much of a problem with Dark Wyrms, due to my tendency to play solo parties. By this point a properly-buffed singleton is nigh-immune to melee (which is all the Dark Wyrms have) and has enough health to readily tank whatever does get through. Too bad the Ring of Will is kind of a niche treasure.

EDIT: vvv it makes you vastly better at the Mindduel spell, which steals spellpoints from the target. Or if they have no spellpoints, applies cumulative, eventually-lethal levels of dumbfounding.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 22, 2016

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

That's an unexpected callback to the first game.

What does the Ring of Will do again btw?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Munin posted:

What does the Ring of Will do again btw?

It lets you kill the final boss of Exile 2 in less than twenty minutes.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You'd think that whatever forces created that impenetrable sunfire barrier would have thought to peek for a way around.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
Perhaps it's a yellow impurity.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Update 039 – The Giant's Forge and the Isolated Inn

“It's not that far!”

“It sure seems like it.”

“I think I'll trust the Slith in this regard.”

“I have to agree.”

“Well, that's nice and all, but now that we're at our destination, wherever that is..?”

“Hold on.” :science:

“You can really feel the heat.”

“Yeah. But the giants have built bridges. How nice of them.”

“So, what's the plan. I see some sort of temple there.”

“Sneak around, obviously.”

“That's awfully cautious of you.”

“Yeah, but with this much lava, who knows how many times I'm going to have to cast Firewalk?”

“That makes sense. It looks like the path north leads to a dead end, we should check that out first.”

“SNEAKZIES FIIFS! SLAY!”

“That was ... anticlimactic.”

“Looking at this, it's actually a guard post for the path on the other side of the void. They would be able to throw stones at the attackers in tight quarters.”

“Sorry, wasn't paying attention. Busy springing the lock here.”

“Is there some pattern to the value of the valuables in these boxes? They seem so ... random.”

“Who knows? They're Giants. None of us are one, so how could we understand them?”

“By talking!”

“Find me a giant that wants to talk first, and I'll let Art handle it.”

“We would have never found this passage if it were not for my scrying skills.”

“Can we deal with the Ogres first though?”

“What? Oh sure.”

“I love this sword!”

“Now that we're done...”

“No clue. You guys can have'em.”

“I found another box from where the Ogres came from!”

“When did you wander off?”

“I wasn't lost.”

“At least there's food in this one.”

“You want to trust Giant food?”

“Why not?”

“It's Giant food.”

“Which means there is more per serving for each of us.”

“You know, I'm really interested in what they're keeping secret in the lava cavern down there.”

“Really?”

“Yes. Let me cast firewalk first.” :catholic:

:supaburn: :supaburn:

There's a gimmick in this corner of the map. There are random tiles that you can step on that cause you to get hit by fire damage over the entire party. Doesn't matter where they are, as I tried to bypass them using Bronwyn and her Ring of Resistance.

So yeah, in addition to making it harder for status effects to land on her, it also halves elemental damage done to her. Who knew?

“Protect the Hammer!”

“Well, crap. Fall back!”

“Too late!”

“What's that?”

“I don't know!”

“YOU! Your time is coming!”

“Really? You've been saying that for years now.”

“Got it!”

So, guess what kind of weapon the Giants would be hiding away, guarded by demons?

SMITE! The best bashing weapon in the game (I think). Too bad no one knows the relevant skill. And of course, having a weapon optimized to kill Giants while in the middle of a quest involving Giants would be handy, wouldn't it?

“Rook, you bastard.”

“Who?”

“No one you should concern yourself with. Take the hammer. We're taking it back to Exile, where it belongs.”

“THEYZ HAZ HURTIE STONE ON STICK! KILL!”

“I suggest we fall back. I have a plan!”

“I'm for that!”

Guess whose last save was before picking up Smite?

“So, what is this plan of yours.”

“Something your scrying showed me.”

“This would be the way out. Are you suggesting we flee?”

“Just to recover.”

“zzz”

“Now, for my brilliant plan!”

“Stand over here... and duck in and out of the shadows to cast Fireballs, Flamestrikes and Firestorms on the Giants!”

“I like this plan!”

“I feel distinctly left out.”

“You got to be the rear guard!”

“Not helping.”

“Missed one.”

:black101: “No, I didn't!”

“Now that we're closer, it really looks like we can hop across the lava.”

“Remind me why I'm the only one who has this spell?”

“I can't cast it!”

“I won't touch magic like that with an eleven foot pole.”

“Looking for a ring?”

“No.”

“Good.”

“It seemed unnecessary to have more than one person with it at the time...”

:sigh: “Very well. Matthias, haste us first, please.”

:catholic:

“MOVE!”

“Is that a boat?”

“So it is.”

“Odd place to put it though.”

“But it will save me energy. All aboard!”

“How did these lockpicks get back here?”

“Come here!”

“No.”

There may be something behind the demon, I don't know. But as you'll soon see, I have a reason to come back here for more than just the maps.

“Well, this sucks.”

AAAAHHHH!! That immunity to Fire means they can walk on the Lava, and their stats are even more potent than the Dark Wyrms last update! And there's three of them! AAAHHH!

:supaburn: :supaburn:

“That was far too close. We're leaving for now. That damned temple can wait.”

And thus, I left a dungeon incomplete because I was starting to get into fights over my head. I'll be back!

“Where's the horses?”

“On the other side. I'm more worried about what's going to ambush us on our way out.”

“No one, it seems. They are gone.”

“Then let us away before they return.”

“Amen.”

“Horsies!”

“Alright, mount up. The current plan is to go east to the mountains, then north and around it until we can go south and get to that cavern where the barriers are from.”

“Sounds simple enough.”

“And here is where we turn north?”

“Yep.”

“I hope this is a good pass.”

“Nope.”

“Wait. There is something here.”

Hey, I don't think I've seen one of these in a long time – an even that requires the Woodsman trait to trigger!

“Another pass! Please let this one work, I'm getting saddle sore.”

“We'll avoid it for now.”

“PLEASE, be a shortcut.”

“Not like this, though!”

“Let's see what we have here...”

“Leave them for now.”

“Hail!”

“Something seems off here.”

“I don't like the meat...”

“...”

“I don't think anyone will mind if we take care of this little ... problem.”

“Not at all.” :black101:

A very easy fight.

“I don't recognize those symbols, and I don't want too.”

“Have we reached the northern reach of this pass?”

“COME ON!”

“I think it is done.”

“Not quite. I can feel something happened here.”

“If this empty feeling has anything to do with that village...”

“Bodies everywhere.”

“Some died hiding.”

“There is nothing here, just bones and dust.”

“I don't like this place.”

“We rest here tonight.”

“ARE YOU MAD?”

“...”

“No. But I know what needs to be done. I've done it before. Rest, but do not sleep.”

“You... No. Of course. I understand.”

“I've seen enough horror stories to know what's coming next.”

“AWAKE AND TO ARMS!”

“They have us surrounded.”

“Then they will come to us!”

“Bronwyn, go secure the lobby with Sass and Ni'aurrl. You two, with me.”

“On it.”

Is it Night of the Living dead which involves the farmhouse? Yeah, a check of the IMBD agrees. Well, welcome to Night of the Living Dead, Exile 3 Edition! Where the defenders are a crack team of commandos with magic weapons, armor and spells.

“I suppose I should scry that Vampire this time...”

This is after it's taken 18 damage from Art.

“At least the horsies are safe!”

After excessive applications of Blessings, Hastes, Slows, Cursings and Dispell Undead, we finally manage to drive all the undead away.

“That's the last of them. Come on, I think I see it.”

“See what?”

“From the dream.”

This is in the lower-left corner of the map. If I go one step to the left, I leave the map.

“Wow, that's sad.”

“But it's what we had to do.”

“Let's go.”

“Clear run to the south now.”

“Well, not quite.”

“Please let it be soon.”

This is a very long and lonely trip, and there's no real way to make it go faster, except by horse.

“This is the place.”

“We're near the headwaters of the river that flows south of Sharimik. Just on the other side of the range.”

“Well then, there's nothing left to do but go in.”

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
The forge is always fun.

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016

berryjon posted:

AAAAHHHH!! That immunity to Fire means they can walk on the Lava, and their stats are even more potent than the Dark Wyrms last update! And there's three of them! AAAHHH!

Huh. I never actually realized that Efreeti's stats are (other than physical damage and health) superior to that of Dark Wyrms, but here you are: they're faster, create fire walls around them, have mage 4 (and they DO use Slow Group), breathe fire for ridiculous damage, and have two attacks if they actually decide to attack that way, not to mention their superior armour, slightly superior combat skill, and worst of all, lower level (meaning you get LESS XP for killing one). So even though I remembered how tough Efreet are, why did I still think they were less tough than Dark Wyrms?

I guess it's for a couple of reasons. The first is that the first place I encountered Dark Wyrms in has an "Instant Light Drain" effect, and they're much harder to deal with when you can't see them coming. Second, even though Efreet are technically superior in physical combat, they have two attacks of 5d10 each (average 27.5 per hit, or 55 if they hit both in one round). This is still less than the Dark Wyrm's average of 70. Third, the Dark Wyrm's poison and paralysis touch WILL gently caress you up hard. If you're severely bless and curse the beast, it may have trouble hitting you, but if ONE hit gets through, that character has maybe a couple of rounds to survive unless you kill it immediately. Still, when you think about it, Efreet will get through your defenses more often, debuff you, buff itself, and use magic/fire breath to get through your blessings in the first place.

Also, in relation to Smite, I think you can find the actual canon reason why the weapon is in the Giant's Forge in one of the nearby towns. I think it involves another Exile doing surface exploration loving up royally.

Finally, the Isolated Inn. Dear God, believe it or not, that encounter can actually destroy a party if they encountered it at too early a level and/or go about the defenses improperly - there's a LOT of undead. There may be only one Vampire, but there's at least a half-dozen spirits, each with Mage 3, and they WILL spam fireballs at you. Not to mention the countless ghasts. Once had to restart after that encounter, only to realize my last save was hours ago.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

LuffyVeggies posted:

Huh. I never actually realized that Efreeti's stats are (other than physical damage and health) superior to that of Dark Wyrms, but here you are: they're faster, create fire walls around them, have mage 4 (and they DO use Slow Group), breathe fire for ridiculous damage, and have two attacks if they actually decide to attack that way, not to mention their superior armour, slightly superior combat skill, and worst of all, lower level (meaning you get LESS XP for killing one). So even though I remembered how tough Efreet are, why did I still think they were less tough than Dark Wyrms?
Two reasons:
1.) Efreeti have more options but they're less dangerous - fire breath does good damage, but less than a nasty hit by a Wyrm; Mage 4 includes some good spells but nothing horrific; fire walls are a nice gimmick, but mediocre damage. Whereas Dark Wyrms do only one thing (physical rear end-beating) but do it really well. It's more memorable to have "holy god that Wyrm hit me for 70 damage plus paralyze plus poison" than "well, he cast a Fireball for 20 damage on four people" even if the latter is technically more total damage.
2.) IIRC, Efreeti usually show up in groups of 2-3, whereas there are certain areas that Dark Wyrms come in hordes and/or bring friends.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
:what: You got in over your head in the giants' cave...at the most difficult encounter in the caves, which you won. All the rest was just mopping up! So why the fleeing?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I don't know why, but somehow exploring feels more natural when it's done above ground. There's no reason why passages in a giant wall of underground rock should seem any less natural than passes in a giant overground mountain, but somehow they do.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

:what: You got in over your head in the giants' cave...at the most difficult encounter in the caves, which you won. All the rest was just mopping up! So why the fleeing?

Character flaws!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Update 040 – The Concealed Tunnel, and the Barrier Cavern

Hello, and welcome back to our 40th update! Give or take an A or B somewhere. Some of you who are reading this in the archives may be wondering why I've chosen to pulverize the Giants, instead of wandering about and doing exploration like normal.

Well, the votes that were cast after the two updates in Lorelei were pretty conclusive. The viewership on Something Aweful wanted Art to deal with the Giants immediately as they were tied into the Troglodytes quest.

In fact, if you want to get down to it, there really are only five Monster Plagues in the game, not six. Because the Troglos and the Giants are resolved the same way, they only count as one. And after this, the next major event isn't set to trigger until day 150, giving me plenty of time to explore to my heart's content.

But, that's enough of that. You're here for the giant-busting, and I've delayed that long enough.

“Large, open spaces, small caverns. This doesn't look like what we're looking for.”

“We do not yet see the whole expanse of it, and there is the possibility that we need to progress farther.”

“I think you're right.”

“Well, at least it's a straight shot to the door.”

“Though I wonder what's in these side passages.”

“What?”

:black101: “Hey! I can't break the barrel!”

:flame: “And magic isn't working either!”

“HAHAHAHAHAHA”

“What's so funny.”

“I remember this. It's a sort of lock trick. You see this pit here?”

“yeah.”

“You push the barrel there into the pit here, and it leaves the area of the spell. Now, I suspect there are multiple barrels now, we we'll have to find them all and dispose of them.”

“Like this.”

“Right, so find the other ones now.”

“Spread out!”

“Curious. It sank.”

“Yay, I got one!”

“And that should be all of them. Good job getting at the one in the hidden passage, Sass.”

“Yay for me!”

“Let's see if the door is unlocked.”

“What is this?!”

This is the gimmick for this dungeon. Every time you move, the dark-reddish wall moves south one tile, and the brown walls move north. If they run into something, they change colors, then go the opposite direction. It's actually fun! Also, don't get squished.

“That was close.”

“I'm curious if this was meant as a defence against intrusion, or if it is the result of some other process.”

“And once again, scrying makes everything easier.”

“Curious.”

“Imagine if this was a barrel, and not a crate.”

“I want to test something.”

“What?”

“You want to crush a box?”

“No. It seems like the boxes can act as mobile borders for the movement of the walls.”

“How does that work?”

“I don't know yet.”

“Well, no where else to go.”

You know, I could buy the idea of being thrown far, far away into a new location, if I hadn't already Magic Mapped everything and seen that we've never left the same map. Also, the Teleportation special effect. I don't think I've shown it off yet, so here it is!

“More ahead.”

“Yes, but this time, there's treasure!”

“Really?”

“They look like summoning icons.”

“We'll wait for it to pass.”

“I'll keep saying this, but Scrying makes everything easier.”

I really thing something is wrong with the weights of some of these potions.

“I like this game!”

:barf:
:catholic:

“Thanks.”

“Oh this is only slightly more complicated.”

“Except, if you check the scry, there's hidden rooms to the north and south. I doubt we'll get out before we get into them.”

“How about we deal with these first?”

“Well, this wouldn't be hard, except for the moving walls.”

“I wonder if they're guards because they're insubstantial?”

:flame: “Doesn't matter, they burn all the same.”

“Yeah, I can see that. Though their ectoplasm still interferes with the machinery, it seems.”

“We win!”

“There's a lever there...”

“Sass, go ahead.”

“Yay!”

“Well, that was... boring.”

“Still need to find the other way through.”

“You mean the open end to this corridor?”

“Except the entire wall is moving.”

“Not really, these boxes prevent some segments from moving.”

“And we'll need to move the boxes out of the way to get to that other lever.”

“Something out this seems... right?”

“Almost there!”

Much has been said in the history of video games about the 'box puzzle'. Well, I would like to submit for your consideration, the only practical, fun, and reliable Box Puzzle in the history of gaming.

“Ahh! Invisible enemies hiding in the walls!”

There's that too.

“Sass?”

“That should do it. Let's get out of here.”

“That's a long way.”

“Well, there's only so much more distance we can travel. Let's go.”

“We're here.” :science:

“Small. Just the end of the tunnel.”

“This is the place.”

“Careful, there has to be something here to help defend it.”

“Nice camping spaces.”

“From the south!”

“Huh. A Doomguard.” :geno:

“A what now?”

“Alright, here's the plan. Brownyn, Sass and I engage in melee. The rest of you stand back and support with Hastings and Blessings as needed.”

“How is that a plan?”

Oh, Doomguards, how I love thee. They were a late game enemy in Exile 2, but here we get one as the pseudo-boss of this mid-game quest.

Naturally, I chump the damned thing. You see, whenever they get hit, they split into two instances, each with the HP they would have after the hit. And with good armor and 150 HP, that's a lot of copies that can be rolling around.

Now, Assassination and Flaming weapons do extra damage, but don't count as extra hits, while dual wielding does count as two hits for the purposes of how many copies are created. And because of that, Bronwyn is my primary killer here.

And because they are only considered to be level 4 enemies, any party that can take them on will only get 1 XP for each kill.

Thankfully, I've got enough gear and levels that a single layer of Bless is enough to prevent the Doomguards from hitting my squishy casters reliably.

Of course, this all adds up to a slow fight. I had to take a couple breaks because my wrist was starting to hurt, and my mouse isn't gaming-ergonomic.

I also love how the blood splatter on the floor increases with each kill that happens on it. And in this picture, why that potion weighted 70 stone now makes sense, as does all the stupidly high weights of other potions. Each use of a potion weighs 5 stone individually, so a potion with 14 uses weighs in at a colossal 70 stone! Too bad it's a Weak Healing Potion, and doesn't really cover my needs.

Doomguards also drop loot. However, it's an extremely low rate, and most of the time, they'll drop food, assuming they drop anything at all. Even then, any non-food items will most likely suck due to their native low level.

Don't let this screen shot fool you. Those six remaining Doomguards still have some splits left in them.

“LAST ONE!”

“Oh, that was good exercise.”

How good? Well, I forgot to screencap Art's XP before the fight, but here it is after:

We killed over 250 Doomguards here, and that meant that everyone leveled at least twice in the process. Art gained three levels!

“Let us never do that again! Please?”

“Why not? Afraid you'll get some of this oil in your dress?”

“This is...”

“Before you destroy that, may I suggest we get to a safe distance first?”

“Yeah, that seems like a good idea.”

“Oh dear...”

No matter where you are, even in combat mode, everyone takes damage. So I went out, camped, then came back with full HP/SP for the coming event.

“KILL EVERYTHING! THE GREAT ENEMY IS UPON US!”

“SLAY!”

“RUN AWAY!”

“I don't want to get in that fight!”

“And if we poke our heads out, they'll attack us as well as each other!”

One of the things that Exile 3 can do is have multiple hostile forces that are also hostile to each other, rather than just 'us vs them'. In this case, the Giants are hostile to the party as well as the Troglos, while the Troglos are hostile to the Party and the Giants. And as long as I stay out of sight, they'll keep hitting each other.

“We fall back for now. Let them wear themselves out. We've done what we came to do.”

“So we did.”

“We go and report to Anaximander now?”

“No, we go back to Lorelei first, and check in with the Commander there. Let her know that Giants should be reduced now.”

I promised I'd do a conversation when I reset a town, and here it is!

A lithe, lethal looking man move smoothly through Dellston, alert for Giants to fight. He turns to look at you. He looks somewhat deranged, at best.

“Hello there. We're glad to see you well. You are?”

“I am Durning!”

“And what do you do here in town?”

“I fight giants!”

“It's nice to see everyone taking fighting giants seriously.”

“Yes!” he says brightly. “I am mighty warrior, of Heaven and Earth Association!”

“The what now?”

“I have mighty kung-fu! I know Flying Fist and Shadow Kick style!”

what

“What's more, I can jump straight up twenty feet, with a mighty swooshing noise, if necessary.”

“And you're mighty.”

“I fight with great honor, doing all my own stunts! My Kung-Fu is the greatest of all!”

On one hand, this guy is so out of place, he's hilarious. On the other hand, Vogel, did you really have to include a Wuxia character in your game?

“We leave the horses in the stable, and we'll teleport around from here.”

“You're back.”

“It's done.”

“So it would seem. But I cannot reward you for that, save to give you my word that you will be recognized for your deeds.”

“From a Dervish, that's a lot.”

“But, about the other mission you asked of us...”

This is actually two separate checks, and two responses put together. You need to ask about the mission multiple times to get your whole reward, but when you run out of rescued prisoners and personal effects, this is what she has to say:

I'm also pretty sure I got all the prisoners, but I still need to make another sweep through for the maps, so I'll check again.

“Be horsies. We'll be back soon!”

“Using the amulet ... now.”

“Reporting time!”

“Hey, Anaximander, guess what I did?”

“Start a war?”

“Wait. How did you know?”

“Because I know you. And you're not the only agents we have on the surface.”

“Will do.”

“What.”

“You heard me.”

“NO! MY BABY!”

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

"And when you're done dealing with that, you forgot to collect evidence from the crystal you blew up. Deal with that.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 25, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Poor Art :allears:

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Ahh... how wonderful. Seriously though, how the hell did they steal the loving OoT?

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016

berryjon posted:

This is the gimmick for this dungeon. Every time you move, the brown wall moves south one tile, and the brown walls move north. If they run into something, they change colors, then go the opposite direction. It's actually fun! Also, don't get squished.

Just pointing out that you said "brown walls" here twice.

Also, I ALWAYS had trouble getting back out of this dungeon after breaking the crystal. I think I got annoyed by the moving walls.

Finally, is the party missing evidence going to be a running gag? It kind of feels like it :newlol:

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Few interesting notes about Doomguards:
1.) There's actually a limit to how far away they can spawn (like ~2-3 spaces in any direction). So one way around this is to trap the Doomguard against a wall, surrounded by your characters, then have your casters summon a bunch of trash to fill all the spaces so that it tries to split and can't. Then you can just wail on it.
2.) There's also a hard set limit to the number of characters that can be present at any one time (I want to say 64, but not sure), so you could also just go absolutely wild with Sticks to Snakes and similar "summons tons of people at once" spells.
3.) IIRC, the extras just count as 'summons'. So if you kill the original then run the hell away, the extras will be gone after a few days and the area will be clear. Of course, this assumes you can remember which one actually was the original.
4.) I don't think you actually need to kill it, if you're OK with having it chase you the whole way out (getting "you moved out of melee range" free strikes every step of the way).

Also, you didn't call it out, but the barriers do actually appear here as well and (in a nice piece of consistency) disappear when you bust the crystal. Though there's actually two layers of barriers - the smaller ones you see here and the real Great Barriers actually within each castle.

And I said this before, but it bears repeating. Why the hell did the mysterious Monster Creators connect the passage between the two? Even if they weren't mortal enemies, there's not really a clear purpose for doing so.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
Typo that hasn't been pointed out yet:

berryjon posted:

“What's more, I can just straight up twenty feet, with a mighty swooshing noise, if necessary.”

I assume that should be "jump".

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

MagusofStars posted:

And I said this before, but it bears repeating. Why the hell did the mysterious Monster Creators connect the passage between the two? Even if they weren't mortal enemies, there's not really a clear purpose for doing so.

If I had to give a justification after the fact for them I'd say they overestimated the control they had over their plagues and tried to have them both using the same hidden base with several tunnels leading out to raid wherever and, when things went sour, had to separate them. That would be why the troglos and giants have above ground structures instead of the hidden bases of the first plagues, the troglos and giants don't care munch for their creators' planning or their design preferences.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

MagusofStars posted:

I think it's more that there was a hidden passage between the two already that the Glowing Ones overlooked, and when they realised they were using the passage to fight each other instead of humans, they sealed the thing up (and protected it with a moving wall puzzle because reasons.)

Either that, or the moving wall puzzle is the mechanism that brings races back to life, and they tried to do a twofer with the giants and the troglodytes before realising that they hated each other.

Either way, it's interesting that they didn't know about the emnity before. It suggests that either the Glowing Ones aren't very well-read about the history of the surface, or they're cocky enough to assume that when they give orders to barbarians, they'll be obeyed. I'm getting the impression that while these guys are pretty hot at magic, they don't really understand people all that well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Whybird posted:

I'm getting the impression that while these guys are pretty hot at magic, they don't really understand people all that well.
Unfortunately that describes basically every powerful magic user in the entire series. :lol:

• Locked thread