Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

So long as we're getting rid of subforums can we get started on that plan to shoot TCC into the sun?

:weed:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

SinineSiil posted:

Could someone also explain why does something like FYAD exist? Maybe by PM if it's too off-topic.

Every large enough place needs a place to safely keep those who are too dangerous for society. All the better if they stay there voluntarily.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

SinineSiil posted:

Could someone also explain why does something like FYAD exist? Maybe by PM if it's too off-topic.

its a place where people tell jokes, thats literally all there is to it.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Two Feet From Bread posted:

What quazi land do you Europeans live in where you can arrest someone for murder when no one is even known to be dead and no victim has been identified? I mean, I know you all convict people without having them at the trial, but no one can even say someone died.

He published the book a year ago and has only just been arrested so going to suggest the police may have done a little light digging since then. Probably won't come to much anyway, they're a bit tired of investigating TV personalities for historical crimes right now. :pedo:

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

WoodrowSkillson posted:

its a place where people tell jokes, thats literally all there is to it.

even that is overstating it

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

china bot posted:

even that is overstating it

nah its pretty funny

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

WoodrowSkillson posted:

nah its pretty funny

for me to poop on

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Pretty much the only worthwhile thing FYAD has ever created was "My nigga have you tried LSD?!"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Regalingualius posted:

Pretty much the only worthwhile thing FYAD has ever created was "My nigga have you tried LSD?!"

Look at this clown who doesn't respect the Ultimate Hustler.

quote:

I sat at my desk, thumbing through a copy of Ovid’s Metamorphoses while awaiting the arrival of our new mythology professor. The whole of the classroom shook as the door slammed open and a strange man clad head to toe in purple velvet swaggered in. He moved to the front of the room and grabbed a dry erase marker, scrawling “The Ultimate Hustler, PhD.” across the whiteboard. Assuming a proper lean at the podium, he turned directly towards me, a long finger emerging from the folds of his billowing velvet coat. “Ya’ll see dis busta here? He such a bitch, his girl left him for Hermaphroditus, sayin’ she wanna be with more of a man.” Unprompted, my jaw leapt into motion, my teeth audibly chattering. This couldn’t be happening. I opened my mouth to respond, only to find him continue, “Psh, homey got such big, broke rear end teeth, it be lookin like the Parthenon when he smile. Cept even the Parthenon ain’t lookin THAT yellow. poo poo, his mouth so jacked, even dat ho Philomela glad she ain’t dis fool.”

The class erupted in laughter as I collapsed in my seat, exhausted from the professor’s onslaught. It was all I could do to weakly mutter “drat” into the faux wood grain of the desk. Hearing this, Dr. The Ultimate Hustler commented, “poo poo, homey’s voice so whack, he leave Echo speechless. She ain’t wanna be repeatin what he say.” With that, my face flushed a deep, deep red that darkened to a bright purple. My body shrunk and it hit me: he had burned me so deep, I was metamorphosing into a flower. The Ultimate Hustler strolled over to me, pointed and announced to the class, “And that, bitches, is how the pansy came to be.”

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2473759

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

FYAD is the cool place to hang out. You can find most of the cool people there. In FYAD you can just chill and do whatever and totally relax. "Take it easy" is the FYAD motto, for example, that's how laid back it is there. Show up if you want to have a good time. Another good reason to show up is if you want to hang out with friends.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

While making fun of goon written novel Mr Shivers

A Gentle Breeze posted:
Mr. Shivers unbuckled his pants. "It's time to gently caress a woman," he said, to the woman, who was listening and waiting for a gently caress. Outside, the melodious cacophony of dust striking and dancing and shimmering in the hot desert California wind played its mellifluous symphony. "I'm the gently caress Man," Mr. Shivers explained, while the woman, naked, nodded.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

What quazi land do you Europeans live in where you can arrest someone for murder when no one is even known to be dead and no victim has been identified? I mean, I know you all convict people without having them at the trial, but no one can even say someone died

I dont know man, if a guy walks up to the police and says 'I just killed a guy', they should probably take an interest, even if they don't have the corpse right there

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
^^^^
That would be a confession. The person confessed to murder in your story. Yes, police would probably do something. My question is, what does that have to do with what we are talking about? Because only a daft person can't see that your story and the subject are nothing alike.

darkwasthenight posted:

He published the book a year ago and has only just been arrested so going to suggest the police may have done a little light digging since then. Probably won't come to much anyway, they're a bit tired of investigating TV personalities for historical crimes right now. :pedo:

So what you are saying is that the only reason he isn't in jail right now is because he paid the extortion money. And not because the police don't have enough evidence to charge him with anything.

Yea, Europe can't bitch about the US judicial system any more.

Two Feet From Bread has a new favorite as of 18:29 on Sep 22, 2016

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I kinda wished they woulda moved all the threads from GBS to other places when they shut it down, a couple of threads I have bookmarked just return "you don't have permission to access this page"

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

So what you are saying is that the only reason he isn't in jail right now is because he paid the extortion money. And not because the police don't have enough evidence to charge him with anything.

Nobody said this.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Let's not talk about fyad and gbs here.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ranbo das posted:

I kinda wished they woulda moved all the threads from GBS to other places when they shut it down, a couple of threads I have bookmarked just return "you don't have permission to access this page"

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791205

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WoodrowSkillson posted:

While making fun of goon written novel Mr Shivers

A Gentle Breeze posted:
Mr. Shivers unbuckled his pants. "It's time to gently caress a woman," he said, to the woman, who was listening and waiting for a gently caress. Outside, the melodious cacophony of dust striking and dancing and shimmering in the hot desert California wind played its mellifluous symphony. "I'm the gently caress Man," Mr. Shivers explained, while the woman, naked, nodded.

Is this the new John Ringo novel?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

^^^^
That would be a confession. The person confessed to murder in your story. Yes, police would probably do something. My question is, what does that have to do with what we are talking about? Because only a daft person can't see that your story and the subject are nothing alike.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, but apparently neither do you so I guess that's OK. Here's a link to the story with more details anyway.

quote:

CJ de Mooi, a former panellist on BBC quiz show Eggheads, has appeared in court after his arrest on a European arrest warrant for an alleged killing.

Scotland Yard said the 46-year-old from Monmouthshire had been arrested at Heathrow Airport on Wednesday.

Westminster Magistrates' Court heard the warrant related to allegations of manslaughter, murder, assault and battery in Amsterdam in 1988.

The warrant was issued in May by Dutch authorities who are requesting the opportunity for "further questioning".

Prosecutor Brian Gibbins said: "It appears the defendant, a TV personality, wrote an autobiography.

"And in that autobiography it said that the defendant claimed that whilst living in Amsterdam in 1988 he may have killed a drug addict who was attempting to mug him by punching him and throwing him into a canal in Amsterdam.

"It is understood that person had a knife with him. It was said that the defendant punched his assailant square in the face, disarmed him and threw him in the canal.

"On the face of the warrant he is wanted for further questions."

darkwasthenight has a new favorite as of 19:17 on Sep 22, 2016

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Jamfrost posted:

Wow. He broke her ankles, her wrists, and her hips.

loving A

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
Punched a guy in Amsterdam just to watch him fly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://zippy.gfycat.com/InsidiousEsteemedDiplodocus.mp4

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Just so we are clear, you are comparing a European "Investigating someone who literally published a murder confession"unfavourably to the US "Basically legalising police hunting black people for sport"?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

^^^^

Didn't know SA had sovereign citizens.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

You know Europe isn't one big country where the judicial system is all the same, right?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

You know Europe isn't one big country where the judicial system is all the same, right?

They're mostly poor where the rights of the accused are concerned. In England they can arrest you and hold you up to two weeks without charging you. In France they can hold you without charges for up to 96 hours. That bit about "you have the right to remain silent" doesn't generally apply, if you refuse to answer questions then your silence can be used against you in court. Likewise there's no exclusionary rule; if evidence is obtained illegally a court might have the option to throw it out, but frequently isn't required to, and the ECHR has flat-out decided that evidence being obtained illegally doesn't necessarily result in an unfair trial. Austria, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Sweden and the United Kingdom all can admit illegally-obtained evidence. And in France they don't really need any kind of warrant to search in the first place; I mean, search warrants exist and police serve them but they frequently aren't required to obtain them. Hell, France can keep you under house arrest as long as the cops have "serious reason to think that the person’s conduct threatens security or the public order." Don't need to, you know, charge you with anything or find you guilty before a court, they just have to have serious reason to think that.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 21:26 on Sep 22, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That....that can't be correct. Like if the police just break into your house with no warrant or break the evidence chain they can still present what ever they got? What's to stop false evidence being used to convict anyone they want?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Solice Kirsk posted:

That....that can't be correct. Like if the police just break into your house with no warrant or break the evidence chain they can still present what ever they got? What's to stop false evidence being used to convict anyone they want?

Those are really two different issues, a warrant requirement doesn't stop the cops from planting drugs in your place and saying they found drugs there and using that fake evidence to convict you, it just requires them to get a warrant before they do it.

The exclusionary rule is uniquely American. In much of Europe if the evidence was obtained illegally it's up to the judge to decide whether or not it can be used at trial.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/19/us/19exclude.html

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

I assume the jury is instructed by the judge to evaluate whether or not the illegally obtained evidence is still legitimate, as in, is there a high likelihood that the cops planted it? If there's no real reason to believe any evidence tampering occurred, the jury is allowed to consider that evidence even if the cops hosed up when they obtained it.

Its not right, but I can see the logic in it. Tampering aside, physical evidence is what it is regardless of how it came to light.

^^^ Or yea, maybe the judge just has the ability to make that decision him/herself.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The exclusionary rule owns.

It keeps cops from martyring themselves by “doing what is necessary” to catch the bad guys, even if it means punishment for themselves.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Platystemon posted:

It keeps cops from martyring themselves by “doing what is necessary” to catch the bad guys, even if it means punishment for themselves.

More importantly, it deters collusion between prosecutors and cops. Otherwise, prosecutors can tell cops "Go ahead and break the door down without a warrant, we'll get to use the evidence against the suspect but we won't prosecute you for any rights violations."

Forthcoming schadenfreude: Northern Michigan University apparently has a campus speech code (One of those things that goons earlier in the thread were okay with and said were perfectly legal) that prohibits students who are feeling depressed and suicidal from discussing those feelings of suicide and depression with other students, and apparently has been sending out a few dozen warning letters a semester. "Feeling isolated and suicidal? Well, shut up and keep that to yourself!"

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2016/09/a-school-is-threatening-to-punish-its-suicidal-students.html

They are going to get *hammered* over this. I can't wait.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Phanatic posted:

That bit about "you have the right to remain silent" doesn't generally apply, if you refuse to answer questions then your silence can be used against you in court.
In the UK at least, that's only partially true.

If you remain silent and stay silent, then the court can't infer anything. If you say nothing to the police and then show up in court saying "I have x alibi", then the court's allowed to make a negative inference form the fact that you basically gave the police no opportunity to test your claims.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Platystemon posted:

There are some interesting cases where cops could just bust in without a warrant. It's theoretically ok if, for example, you killed a man and then hid the murder weapon in a friends house. The police could theoretically bust into that house sans warrant and seize that evidence and use it. The idea being that they're not violating your rights, they're violating your friends rights, so they wouldn't be able to use it against your friend for colluding with you (or if they end up finding out he was the murderer all along) because then it would be excluded for violating his rights, but they didn't violate your rights since it wasn't your house/property. Your rights don't extend to your friend and his stuff.

Of course, this is all academic as far as I know and I wouldn't be at all surprised if a judge ended up excluding that evidence anyway, it's just an interesting scenario. This is also stuff I learned 5-6 years ago so it may have already been addressed by a ruling that clarifies it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Scruff McGruff posted:

There are some interesting cases where cops could just bust in without a warrant. It's theoretically ok if, for example, you killed a man and then hid the murder weapon in a friends house. The police could theoretically bust into that house sans warrant and seize that evidence and use it. The idea being that they're not violating your rights, they're violating your friends rights, so they wouldn't be able to use it against your friend for colluding with you (or if they end up finding out he was the murderer all along) because then it would be excluded for violating his rights, but they didn't violate your rights since it wasn't your house/property. Your rights don't extend to your friend and his stuff.

I don't believe that's correct; they can't just bust into your friend's house and search it, that's an illegal search because it's not reasonable. If you left the murder weapon at a friend's house and the cops said "Hey, can we search your place?" and your friend *consents* to the search, then that's a legal search and they can use the evidence they find against you. There are exceptions to the exclusionary rule (Most recently, a case where the officer had what he thought was a valid warrant but it was filled out in error ), but I don't think that's one of them.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

I like how the guy has to hold back his anger at the kid for moving while trying to play it off so they don't figure out what he was trying to do.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Is this the new John Ringo novel?

Not enough BDSM enthusiasts who love the protagonist for getting them out of sex slavery.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Platystemon posted:

I mean yea, instead they just shoot people and then claim "he had a gun" based on no evidence and get off Scott free.

Dead people can't appeal their sentances after all, like you can if the police frame you.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's amazing. If it were as small a ball as he thought it was, it'd have been closer and he'd have caught it perfectly :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

I mean yea, instead they just shoot people and then claim "he had a gun" based on no evidence and get off Scott free.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/terence-crutcher-shooting-tulsa-county-district-attorney-charges-officer-shelby-n652856

quote:

An Oklahoma police officer has been charged with manslaughter for the fatal shooting of an unarmed black man after the Tulsa County District Attorney's Office found she "reacted unreasonably" and became "emotionally involved to the point that she overreacted."

Officer Betty Shelby was charged with manslaughter in the first degree for the shooting of Terence Crutcher on Friday night, Tulsa County District Attorney Steve Kunzweiler said at a press conference Thursday afternoon.