Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

i guess i'm real bad at reading!

some things i've thought about for troops:
give some of them better shields, reduce cost on tiger riders, make the s2n1 guy have mm2, maybe also change it to like s2?1 nef (or something), slight str + att bump for vanara swordsman and white one, maybe give the atavi archer a composite bow, make one of the ape commanders forest recruit. maybe fiddle with elephants so they are less poo poo against players?

for the spells:
apsaras should give you more with no cost increase imo and celestial music should probably be either s2 or no gem cost and definitely earlier in the tree (also maybe moved to like conj or alt idk). most of the other summons are too expensive for what you get (maybe not yaksha but 25 gems is kind of a lot when you're unlikely to get MOAK). alternately, it's hard to get to the cool later summons because you need a lot of other research to survive but that could just be me being bad.

edit: in case it's not obvious probably don't do all of these things at once

If you want to *really* shake things up give them a foreign recruit Bandar sorcerer with n1b1d1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Barono posted:

If you want to *really* shake things up give them a foreign recruit Bandar sorcerer with n1b1d1.

Even a forest rec one with something like n1 ?1ndb and inept 2 or 3 would be extremely good for them

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
There are still 4 open slots for the game Sore Losers, a game in which nobody who has ever won a game of Dominions 4 is allowed to play. If you are somebody who has been dicking around in single-player but afraid to join a multiplayer game for fear of getting stomped, this would be a great time to try!

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Even a forest rec one with something like n1 ?1ndb and inept 2 or 3 would be extremely good for them

i was thinking a b1?1 da multihero but i like that a lot better

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Well poo poo somehow MA Ulm has ridiculous amounts of troops that are outright better than my guy while only having half the income I do.

Gifts of heaven spam doesn't seem to work that well anymore.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

Well poo poo somehow MA Ulm has ridiculous amounts of troops that are outright better than my guy while only having half the income I do.

Gifts of heaven spam doesn't seem to work that well anymore.

Ulmish troops are superior pound per pound vs just about any other line troop. Gifts spam should beat them just fine but if you can't manage the necessary quantity of gifts or need to destroy a large stack with a small force, you can hit them in their weak spot with expertly applied mages and win easily.

Their weaknesses are:

-They are slow as gently caress
-They get tired easy
-Their MR is trash

So, as TC with middling research you should be able to totally shut them down by casting a couple pen boosted curse of stones, grip of winter/heat from hell (depending your scales. remember to put resist on your mages or you'll kill yourself too) and spamming a bunch of swarm/elementals at them. A cast of quagmire and howl will also help.

Or, you could go pure evocation. Stack up a communion with an air master, drop wrathful skies + storm and spam some eles at him. Again, putting down quagmire and howl will help since those will give your battlefield killer chance to work. Make absolutely sure you have 15+ shockres on your wrathful skies/storm casters. Slaves will probably die unless you have a 3rd master returning them away after Wrathful Skies and Storm go up (you should do this).

Or you could spam some elementals and howl/foul vapors/quaqmire them. This will likely result in your mage dying since poison is slow as hell but if you can hold it up long enough you will inflict significant casualties at the cost of a couple mages and some gems.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

less good, but you can can also iron bane their armor if you don't have ready access to a bunch of elementals for some reason

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
That was the most frustrating shitfest I've had with this game. All of the other nations attacked at once. My dudes wouldn't follow their scripts. My province defense was useless so every time I'd retake the stuff around my capitol Ulm would send 10 dudes and it would take out 50+ province defense. For some reason you don't catch opposing armies when they're headed to you and they can go take that province you just took back from them. Somehow my castle with 75 province defense got counted as not having any and seized. I don't know how the AI fielded so many more troops than I did with 1/4th of the income and continued to produce them.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Azuth0667 posted:

That was the most frustrating shitfest I've had with this game. All of the other nations attacked at once. My dudes wouldn't follow their scripts. My province defense was useless so every time I'd retake the stuff around my capitol Ulm would send 10 dudes and it would take out 50+ province defense. For some reason you don't catch opposing armies when they're headed to you and they can go take that province you just took back from them. Somehow my castle with 75 province defense got counted as not having any and seized. I don't know how the AI fielded so many more troops than I did with 1/4th of the income and continued to produce them.

All of this is basically telling me that you'd have a lot more fun in multiplayer, tbh.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Unless you have a very specific plan or are playing factions with really really good PD, more than 5 is usually a waste. Spend the money on mobile stuff instead!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

How are u posted:

All of this is basically telling me that you'd have a lot more fun in multiplayer, tbh.

Maybe but, committing for 3 months for one game isn't something I can do.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Here's one weird trick to maintaining contentment with Dominions Four:

You can go AI in MP, and people won't mind all that much, so long as you don't do it on like turn 8 from an okay position. You might even enjoy it enough to keep going!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Also, you could get a sub instead of AI

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Azuth0667 posted:

I don't know how the AI fielded so many more troops than I did with 1/4th of the income and continued to produce them.

I believe the AI difficulty setting is just a slider for how many bonus resources/gold the AI nations get.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Ulmish troops are superior pound per pound vs just about any other line troop. Gifts spam should beat them just fine but if you can't manage the necessary quantity of gifts or need to destroy a large stack with a small force, you can hit them in their weak spot with expertly applied mages and win easily.

Their weaknesses are:

-They are slow as gently caress
-They get tired easy
-Their MR is trash

So, as TC with middling research you should be able to totally shut them down by casting a couple pen boosted curse of stones, grip of winter/heat from hell (depending your scales. remember to put resist on your mages or you'll kill yourself too) and spamming a bunch of swarm/elementals at them. A cast of quagmire and howl will also help.

Or, you could go pure evocation. Stack up a communion with an air master, drop wrathful skies + storm and spam some eles at him. Again, putting down quagmire and howl will help since those will give your battlefield killer chance to work. Make absolutely sure you have 15+ shockres on your wrathful skies/storm casters. Slaves will probably die unless you have a 3rd master returning them away after Wrathful Skies and Storm go up (you should do this).

Or you could spam some elementals and howl/foul vapors/quaqmire them. This will likely result in your mage dying since poison is slow as hell but if you can hold it up long enough you will inflict significant casualties at the cost of a couple mages and some gems.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

MF_James posted:

Also, you could get a sub instead of AI
Yep lots of potential for things to be okay for everyone involved.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

As someone else who has less trouble dealing with real life humans than dumb robot AI, I've found there are two secrets to beating the Dominions-AI:

1. Make sure your magic research is good and use globals freely.
2. The AI will often just spam small and medium armies all over the place, counter with as many forts as you can build to trip them up and send your own armies to take their forts.

But overall fighting the AI is an exercise in tedium and not recommended. Exceptions are for games where you set up giganto-titanic maps with like 4 AIs so when you meet them all your magic is maxed and you can just roll over them in every engagement. But that again ends in tedium. Without the crazy poo poo human players can come up with the game is seriously crippled.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Azuth0667 posted:

Thugs of some stripe can kill the smaller raiding armies they try to throw at you.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Washout posted:

Thugs of some stripe can kill the smaller raiding armies they try to throw at you.

Problem with this being that MA T'ien C'hi doesn't exactly have much access to decent thugging chassi. No decent recruitables for that purpose and no native death access means that thugs aren't really too viable until midgame at the least. And sacred thugs in general against Ulm are an incredible crapshoot.

Honestly, MA Ulm is probably one of the better AI nations, simply because there is no real gimmick with them, and the money and resource boosts the AI gets are fully effective since there are no sacreds to recruit and almost all their national troops are both extremely cheap and very good. The AI being pathetic at proper magic scripting matters far less with them as well. You just get a bunch of extremely heavily armored guys together, then go smash someone's face in.

With that said, AI Ulm is unlikely to make particularly good use of MA Ulm's counters to powerful magical beings or sacreds, so throwing some of those at them wouldn't go amiss. Mass spam of fire or air elementals might work decently, especially if combined with spells like Storm (for air only) or Fire Storm/Heat From Hell.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 23, 2016

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

isn't Stellar Cascades AP? just do that a lot geomancers.

Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Libluini posted:

As someone else who has less trouble dealing with real life humans than dumb robot AI,
Not according to your red text sorry.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Density posted:

Not according to your red text sorry.

That red text came from someone who couldn't take a joke, you shouldn't believe everything you read.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New part from my ongoing fight against SkyNet:

:siren: Dominions 4 Multiplayers Part 23:siren:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 23, 2016

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

isn't Stellar Cascades AP? just do that a lot geomancers.
The problem isn't really their defence, which is what Cascades is really really good at tanking, it's more that they have gigantic prot scores. You get a bit of help with increased crits against high fatigue units but unless you have a really gigantic communion (which MA Ulm can blow up with RoS from A smiths) you probably aren't going to be able to win a fight against a mega army using Cascades.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

jBrereton posted:

The problem isn't really their defence, which is what Cascades is really really good at tanking, it's more that they have gigantic prot scores. You get a bit of help with increased crits against high fatigue units but unless you have a really gigantic communion (which MA Ulm can blow up with RoS from A smiths) you probably aren't going to be able to win a fight against a mega army using Cascades.

you kill them with over 200 fatigue damage which sidesteps prot. i have had success brutally owning ma ulm as bandar using this strat. also you're gonna get evo5 for SC way before they get evo 7 for RoS

though i guess you've gonna have a hard time tarpitting a huge army without using buffed markata

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

you kill them with over 200 fatigue damage which sidesteps prot. i have had success brutally owning ma ulm as bandar using this strat. also you're gonna get evo5 for SC way before they get evo 7 for RoS

though i guess you've gonna have a hard time tarpitting a huge army without using buffed markata
I'll take your word for it, I usually have problems with non-Lanka monkey nations trying to set their magic infrastructure up because it all needs temples and costs a bastarding fortune as a result.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Other anti-Ulm strategies may include an E2 mage with Epower-> Destruction vs the smaller armies, or the aforementioned Gifts from Heaven communion. Earthquake is not really recommended as it doesn't do enough damage to bypass armor.

It sounds like you have having problems with the macromanagement aspect though. Gold -> Forts -> Mages is the forumula that lets you dominate AI and most players too. Chances are if you're falling behind on production you aren't aggressive enough to get gold and you aren't spendy enough on more forts. Troops that are lower quality (like TC's and most human nations) are basically only good for fodder so the proportion you spend on them cannot be as high as if you're playing a nation that can lean hard on the troops.

If any strategy fails just default to spamming Thunder Strike. Viability may vary on nation but if you have A2 or air/astral you can do it.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

If you feel like trying MA Ulm yourself, Azuth, note that general strategy is to be relatively aggressive and likely plow straight over one of your neighbors as soon as (or possibly even before) initial expansion is over. Bonus points if you manage to flatten a scary sacred nation, like Vanheim and their ponymans, at this point, as Ulm is actually really bloody good at nuking people using a sacred-heavy strategy. They are extremely, EXTREMELY powerful in the earlygame, so you want to take advantage of that. Also, people will normally be quite happy to look the other direction or even help you remove a nation like Vanheim or Mictlan, so diplomatically they're good targets as well.

Ulm's biggest weakness is their extreme lack of magic diversity and higher paths, which means the longer the game goes on the relatively weaker you become compared to other nations. You really want to reach the mid-lategame with them in a position of strength, as you can leverage that advantage, as well as hopeful good independent mage finds, into a win. Especially if you initially border another nation with strong magic access, you want them gone before they can really take advantage of that.

Some of this is of course not nearly as important against the AI, which has no clue how to use magic properly.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 24, 2016

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Can anyone link me the LP where Ulm goes toe to toe with ponies and wins.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Decrepus posted:

Can anyone link me the LP where Ulm goes toe to toe with ponies and wins.

Here you go:

No joke it is a think that could occur tho

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
If I were to cast a global with a mage and felt they were in danger of getting mind hunted would giving them a slave collar and feeble-minding them protect from mind hunts and allow the global to stay up?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Fauxbot posted:

If I were to cast a global with a mage and felt they were in danger of getting mind hunted would giving them a slave collar and feeble-minding them protect from mind hunts and allow the global to stay up?

No, Feeblemind instantly removes any globals they had up. I may have gotten careless Mind Hunting with an S9 pretender with globals up once. :gonk:

edit: Do you have any access to astral mages whatsoever, whether national or indy? Just stick them in the same province. Alternatively, stick a shitload of scouts (or something else cheap) in the province.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 24, 2016

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.

Lord Koth posted:

No, Feeblemind instantly removes any globals they had up. I may have gotten careless Mind Hunting with an S9 pretender with globals up once. :gonk:

edit: Do you have any access to astral mages whatsoever, whether national or indy? Just stick them in the same province. Alternatively, stick a shitload of scouts (or something else cheap) in the province.

Ah, bummer. I figured that would be too easy.

No astral mages in the game I'm thinking about. The scout trick sounds like a good 'un though, cheers.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
welcome to the greatest mod on earth

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Upen and Frankenfreak you both need to upload your god to Sore Losers game so it can start.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Samog posted:

what happens when you give an assassin commander a +leadership item and surround him with assassins and then try to assassinate someone?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Samog posted:

You did this and yet you didn't make an entire army of troubadours. Hm.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

what happens when you give an assassin commander a +leadership item and surround him with assassins and then try to assassinate someone?

He just assassinates someone, the unit assassins don't join him.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

How are u posted:

Upen and Frankenfreak you both need to upload your god to Sore Losers game so it can start.
Done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
:siren: Sore Losers has started!

• Locked thread