Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer
MF could work on a pro level. You just need to draft a comp that compensates for her lack of utility, damage, mobility, waveclear, etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Libertine posted:

I don't think you can play her into any comp at competitive level though because she has to have a few teammates who can help setup her teamfight and she has to have the ability to get off damage without getting piled on. That second part is the most difficult since most pro teams are just a big collection of piledown CC-chain/killing champions.

I pretty much agree with this. She may fit into some niche comps, but she's just too dive-able to be good. Like, pick MF into top or mid Ekko and see how that goes.

e: or Gnar, or Lissandra, or Maokai, or...

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
https://pvplive.net/c/riot-esports-future-includes-crowdfunding-and-part

Internal Riot email maybe? posted:

Championship skin & ward – From now, 25% of revenue from each year’s Championship skin and Championship Ward will be added to the Worlds prize pool. That means every purchase of Championship Zed will directly increase the prize pool for Worlds 2016. For context, had this been applied last year, it would have more than doubled the prize pool.

Challenger skin – Similarly, going forward, 25% of revenue from each year’s Challenger skin will be added to the MSI prize pool. Team Championship skins – Beginning with the winning team from this year’s Worlds, we will be sharing 25% of the revenue earned on skin sales in the launch year of each set of Team Championship skins directly with the players who inspired them, as well as their team and league (because it takes a village to make a champion). In the spirit of celebrating past champions, we’ll also be sharing revenue from past Team Championship skins with the previous winners – players, teams and leagues (Fnatic, TPA, SKT, Samsung White and SKT again)

stump collector
May 28, 2007
finally

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
25% seems like not very high.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Taciturn Tactician posted:

25% seems like not very high.

quote:

For context, had this been applied last year, it would have more than doubled the prize pool.

It may be pretty significant.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sexpansion posted:

It may be pretty significant.

I'm not saying it won't be, but if 25% doubles it, 50% would triple it. Skins are pure profit with an initial cost, if they're making that much I think they can probably come out ahead on these skins at 50% share instead of a 75% one.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The total prize pool for World's was $2,130,000. If a fourth of skin sales from just the Championship skin double that, that means during World's last year Riot Games made at least $8.5 Million from just a couple skins and wards available for about a month. Just Championship skins. And this year's Championship skins are Riven and Zed

Doesn't make money off E-Sports my rear end

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

The best news TPA has had for like 3 years!

stump collector
May 28, 2007
25% worlds / 25% MSI is pretty cool and good

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

I'm not saying it won't be, but if 25% doubles it, 50% would triple it. Skins are pure profit with an initial cost, if they're making that much I think they can probably come out ahead on these skins at 50% share instead of a 75% one.

50% is silly greedy tbh.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
If riot were to have put 80% of Championship skins towards the prize pool it would have increased it by 6.4 million and Riot would still have made a 1.6 million profit. :v:

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
What other revenue streams do they have from pro league?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If riot just gave 100% of Championship skins towards the prize pool, they could say the operate e-sports at a loss!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Typical Pubbie posted:

What other revenue streams do they have from pro league?

I think ticket sales and maybe on-site merch? I've always assumed that the LCS is a loss leader that's there to just get people to play the game and buy skins.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I think 50% of skin sales is fair for a company that puts as much work into the production of its professional events as Riot does.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
NA is the true loss leader

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Vermain posted:

I think ticket sales and maybe on-site merch? I've always assumed that the LCS is a loss leader that's there to just get people to play the game and buy skins.
They can't claim that LCS is a loss-leader if they turn around and refuse advertising because it distracts people from buying new skins. That means that the goal of LCS is advertising and they're just investing it to grow their company, like a commercial :v:

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Huzzah, prize pool increases

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

50% is silly greedy tbh.

"Greedy" by who, exactly? Do you imagine I get kickbacks from this? Greed doesn't enter this equation unless someone who stands to gain is talking about it. I'm just saying that if you're going to do a PR "look you guys your money is going right into the players' pockets! Buy things to support the players!" thing, 25% seems kind of unimpressive. If someone did a charity drive and promised 25% of the funds went to charity, would it be greedy to suggest they maybe operate at less of a profit to raise that percentage? Raising LCS prize pools isn't charity, but it's just as much a "we're giving up profit for good PR" move.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Charity and LCS are not even a comparable situation in any way. Charities aren't doing it for PR. Why would you even make such a comparison? Also Riot still is still using buying skins as their primary income source and using LCS as a loss leader for it, so the 25%, considering it is literally millions of dollars, is just fine.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Just a reminder the only reason this is happening is because Regi laid the smackdown on them

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RealFoxy posted:

Just a reminder the only reason this is happening is because Regi laid the smackdown on them

:agreed: They got hit by the NA LCS owners real hard and they had to concede somewhere

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

Regi trying to pay his way to scrims with top korean teams

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

RealFoxy posted:

Never gonna let anyone forget Avalon who sunk the only E-Sports team I've ever spent real money on Merch for.

Avalon was better than Balls that season in literally every metric and also the eyeball test

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

RealFoxy posted:

It's quite possible that's not true, and they were going to do it regaradless of the kerfluffle. It does show that Regi's won the narrative war that people can legitimately think that.

Also I think it should be 37% because I said so

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

RealFoxy posted:

They can't claim that LCS is a loss-leader if they turn around and refuse advertising because it distracts people from buying new skins. That means that the goal of LCS is advertising and they're just investing it to grow their company, like a commercial :v:

That's what a loss-leader is. Just because they can theoretically not make it a loss-leader by losing some of their control over branding/etc doesn't take away the loss-leader status. They're selling a product (LCS) at a loss to make money on other products (skins, champions,etc).

EDIT: Bad terminology.

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 22, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah, using your loss leader to advertise for other people would be wildly idiotic, but i am sure the evil tryndamere is behind this

stump collector
May 28, 2007
i'm sorry for your loss

leader

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Wasn't there an NA support who was complete dead weight? Maybe it was Em Eye Eh or whatever that guy with MIA phonetically spelled was?

Ya the old support for Complexity when they were in challenger. I kinda remember him because Riot did a video feature on him because he has prosthetic eyes. I think his name was MeyeA or something like that. If I remember correctly he works for Riot now. I don't remember him being awful. He was pretty good on thresh from what I remember maybe he was really bad on everything else.

For the worst players list I would like to nominate Remi/Maria. All her lcs games were terrible. She could basically only play Thresh/Morg and she wasn't even good on them. I still can't believe there was a team with Crumbzz, RF Legendary and Remi. Alex Ich was also past his prime. I mean this team basically got hard carried by FromMaplestreet in challenger how bad do you have to be for that to happen.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
the last pro game i remember alex ich playing he rolled out 4 item components and boots 2 on mid ryze and i wanted to puke and die.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

you made him more exciting by suggesting he had two prosthetic eyes, but this is not the case

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

exethan posted:

the last pro game i remember alex ich playing he rolled out 4 item components and boots 2 on mid ryze and i wanted to puke and die.

it was his final tribute to the best LCS player of all time, darien

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

exethan posted:

The poor man's had one hell of a rollercoaster of a League of Legends career. Has he finally retired?

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Vermain posted:

The poor man's had one hell of a rollercoaster of a League of Legends career. Has he finally retired?

i think hes dead

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Lmao if you buy riot saying the lcs isn't profitable. There's no way it isn't profitable anymore. The only reason riot says the lcs isn't profitable is because they are counting purely ticket sales and any on-site merchandise that is sold(MAYBE online lcs logo T-shirt sales but probably not). They aren't counting anyone who goes and buys a skin because they saw bjergsen or meteos using it and thought it looked cool, they don't count anyone who watches esports and buys a T-shirt from the merch store because they saw a bunch of people wearing it and thought it was cool, and they apparently aren't counting the Challenger or championship or team skin lines when they say that their esports division runs at a loss. There is absolutely no way the lcs isn't profitable, otherwise it would've been killed the moment Tencent entered the picture

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

just lmao if you believe anything at all about anything

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the china man would never allow an unprofitable thing, they would have canceleld league literally immediately

edit: ok i am sorry if i am being mean but TENCENT WOULD NEVER ALLOW is just lovely made up conjecture. also lcs is "not profitable" just like owning a professional sports team isnt. its just made up cooking the books poo poo. just like how tsm makes no money off league. ya, their operating costs are definitely higher than the cash that riot gives them but again, lmao. i dont see what the point is in bringing this up over and over with the :tinfoil: and the :argh: riot

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 22, 2016

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Luna Was Here posted:

Lmao if you buy riot saying the lcs isn't profitable. There's no way it isn't profitable anymore. The only reason riot says the lcs isn't profitable is because they are counting purely ticket sales and any on-site merchandise that is sold(MAYBE online lcs logo T-shirt sales but probably not). They aren't counting anyone who goes and buys a skin because they saw bjergsen or meteos using it and thought it looked cool, they don't count anyone who watches esports and buys a T-shirt from the merch store because they saw a bunch of people wearing it and thought it was cool, and they apparently aren't counting the Challenger or championship or team skin lines when they say that their esports division runs at a loss. There is absolutely no way the lcs isn't profitable, otherwise it would've been killed the moment Tencent entered the picture

LCS isn't profitable. Riot Games is profitable. LCS is a loss-leader. LCS makes Riot Games more profitable. This is how people talk about businesses, especially when you're part of a multi-billion dollar company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Dang rabidsquid, back at it again with the lovely one liners

• Locked thread