Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

LCL-Dead posted:

What would you call the map type where the payload would be in the middle and the teams have to reach it and push it into the opposing teams base?

Sorry.. Not familiar with these things.

Tug of war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Instead of ideas for new characters and abilities, can you come up with an idea for a new fanfic forum thread?
Then, like, gently caress off to that one?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

LCL-Dead posted:

What would you call the map type where the payload would be in the middle and the teams have to reach it and push it into the opposing teams base?

very long or very short

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

DeathSandwich posted:

Is it sad that I want Hanzo to be nerfed? Not because I think he's broken or overpowered, but because I'm sick and tired of seeing 2 of them in every game? It's always the same couple of weeabos that play him and have twice as much time playing him as all the other characters combined, and 4 times out of 5 they are worthless fodder that gets eaten by reaper/tracer/winston before contributing anything special.

There was always Hanzos before his buff and there will always be Hanzos. The difference being now it is easier to do better as Hanzo than before. Anyway, Hanzo rules and is super strong. Only ever play him on attack.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

LCL-Dead posted:

Endless misery.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

verbal enema posted:

the only character i want is a HWguy but we already have a stupid shoot forever person with bastion so w/e

Zarya fills that hole, high HP character with a powerful weapon that can tear you up at close range and suppress/blow poo poo up from downtown. It's just that the lobbed grenades are a more targetable M2 attack instead of just holding M1 and spraying down an area.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
yeah but i gotta aim the needle beam

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Does performing well actually boost rank gain and decrease rank loss?

I think it might?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Thoughtless posted:

I think it might?
Yes, it does.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Thoughtless posted:

I think it might?

Yeah, try not to put too much stock in win % outside of extremes because you can be alternating wins all night yet have a net gain/loss depending on your performance and opponents.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

when you finally stop solo queuing and use the discord to find a group

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I and several other goons found it was the opposite, and we skyrocketed our ranks by playing solo rather than in a premade.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

New PTR just hit, can't find any patch notes.

EDIT: Profile and stats are overhauled, a lot slicker now. Bar graph for heroes. New portraits? Stars are a bit smoother.

EDIT 2: Here's the patch notes:

*Static cameras in spectator mode
*Team names editable in custom games
*Hanzo's wolf skin ult is louder
*Heroes now say when they're boosted by Ana
*Reinhardt says "barrier failing" more

Ana:
*Ult cost up by 20%
*Grenade radius up from 3m to 4m

Widow:
*Scoping-in animation down from 0.5s to 0.3s

Junkrat:
*Rip-tire "now activates more quickly", whatever that means

Stats and profile pages aesthetically changed, new controller modes, tweaks to end of game card frequencies, bugfixes.

Widow cannot grapple basketballs anymore, apparently.

EDIT 3: Full list of changes available from someone on reddit at http://i.imgur.com/BdcpVSf.png . I can't copy-paste the patch notes which is why I summarized it here.

Teddybear fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 22, 2016

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

e: doublepost

Teddybear fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 22, 2016

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Good Ana changes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
How fast was Widow's original scoping animation?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

verbal enema posted:

yeah but i gotta aim the needle beam

At the beam's effective range you'd have to aim the HWGuy's minigun too though, the beam is deceptively short due to the weird forced-perspective thing going on with the weaponmodel making it look like it extends off into infinity. I prefer using the grenades more often because I can't aim/track for poo poo but the beam is good at low charge if you get the jump on someone and have the leisure of scaring them into beelining for their team or something.

At full charge you don't need to really track well because the beam does so much damage. The grenades are hilarious against attack symmetra and they're good enough to be worth getting the hang of shooting riptires with because once you're at a fairly low level of charge you can blap the tire with a direct hit, but the beam gets real good real fast once you're in a fight.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I sure do regret giving Paladins a few hours of my time. Played it long enough to go against real people and it's literally just shittier Overwatch for poor people.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'm sad that the ridiculous win% Rein/Ana duo queue train is finally coming to an end, but it had to happen.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Ana still looks awesome, you just have to work harder for that ult, and you might not have it every single teamfight. I was afraid the nerf might be more drastic, so I'm happy.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20294485#patchnotes

quote:

Fixed a bug that allowed Widowmaker to use her Grappling Hook on basketballs

The Widow nerfs will never end

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I decided to pick this up on pc too. Had a blast playing in the lower levels last night. Most people haven't figured out Zarya yet and I was rewarded with a giant throbbing laser dick of death. After I hit level 8 though I'm in much higher level games, but that has the added bonus of better team play. Hoping to hook up with some goons soon.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Does anybody know how hard it would be for Blizzard to implement an option for regular quick play and one for single hero limit quick play? I'd like to try the new Widowmaker changes without having to be locked into playing a competitive match and since the patch just came out, at least 2 people insta-pick her in quick play.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I've been trying to hold back on handing out bubbles as Zarya and waiting until I see someone eating fire before shielding them and my average charge over the past few games has been around 60% so hooray I learned the secret - your teammates can take a hit.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Yaya posted:

Does anybody know how hard it would be for Blizzard to implement an option for regular quick play and one for single hero limit quick play? I'd like to try the new Widowmaker changes without having to be locked into playing a competitive match and since the patch just came out, at least 2 people insta-pick her in quick play.

it wouldn't be hard at all and i predict they'll be revamping the UI of the Play screen to allow for more options like this. pretty sure Jeff K said they're looking into it.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
Well I am now finished with season 2, Bronze 1444,

The last game was perfect though,

We stomped the other team on Gibraltar.

it just worked.

If only all the other games were the same.

But i also waited in the queue for 45 minutes before i got a match. The search timer had vanished.
so i got that score with 8 losses 2 wins.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

TheresaJayne posted:

Well I am now finished with season 2, Bronze 1444,

The last game was perfect though,

We stomped the other team on Gibraltar.

it just worked.

If only all the other games were the same.

But i also waited in the queue for 45 minutes before i got a match. The search timer had vanished.
so i got that score with 8 losses 2 wins.

wtf 45 min? Your game is broken. I have a rank 500ish hanjo account and never wait more than 10 minutes

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sarrisan posted:

Ana still looks awesome, you just have to work harder for that ult, and you might not have it every single teamfight. I was afraid the nerf might be more drastic, so I'm happy.

the only thing they were ever gonna nerf about her is her ult charge rate because of what nanoboost has done to tournament play (it's not pretty). she's not that remarkable outside of the nanoboost loop

those are some light touches on junkrat and widow, they must be really worried about big widow changes in particular

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i like how on one of the dev Q&A streams they said they didn't want to buff mei or other defense heroes because they knew it wouldn't be fun for anyone

and then they went and buffed mei and hanzo

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

I thought they were going to nerf the healing reduction of her grenade from 100% to maybe 50% as she currently can nullify Zenyatta's ult and made him no longer in the pro meta, or maybe not as much. I'm glad she can still deny healing, and now in a larger radius.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

zen is still really good and used all the time in the current pro meta, the grenade turning off transcendence never changed that

he gets swapped off of sometimes because you need an ana in the 3x3 strat, so if you're gonna swap off of a healer it has to be zen because lucio is non negotiable

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Been solo queuing for the last few days. Started with three wins, then had a seven game losing streak. Thought it was about to turn into eight games after we barely managed to cap the last point in Watchpoint Gibralter in OT and the other team capped it with four minutes left to go. We ended up steamrolling through two points in our single minute, though, and the other team didn't even get close to capping the first point, so we won 5-3.

It's not like they dropped someone or anything like that. I don't even think our team comp was different. We just beat the hell out of them the second time around; everything went right. It was rad as hell, woooo Overwatch!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

i like how on one of the dev Q&A streams they said they didn't want to buff mei or other defense heroes because they knew it wouldn't be fun for anyone

and then they went and buffed mei and hanzo

that's not what they said

they said they didn't want to make them good (i.e. balance them) but there was room to improve them a little

then they improved both characters in the dumbest way possible, and still not enough that they don't suck overall

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D
I went from rank 2333 to 2133 last night after joining a 3 person team (not goons) and losing every game we played. Holy poo poo never again. I'll be on discord tonight if anyone needs a Rein for competitive haha

Just please tell me before you drop Ana ult because when you don't I cry salty tears. >:,[

Edit: Or even better, wait for my cue. I feel like everyone should know that about Ana, honestly. It scares the poo poo out of me when I get powered up with no warning, and I've been hit with it at such inopportune times that it gets wasted. If I played Ana I'd straight up ask the tank to call when they want it.

Edit 2: Not that the tank should always get it, I'm just saying in general it's best to communicate it.

Romulux fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 22, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Manatee Cannon posted:

the only thing they were ever gonna nerf about her is her ult charge rate because of what nanoboost has done to tournament play (it's not pretty). she's not that remarkable outside of the nanoboost loop

those are some light touches on junkrat and widow, they must be really worried about big widow changes in particular

I mean, they SHOULD be worried about big changes to Widowmaker because they already know what things were like when she was a must-pick. Literally nobody aside from aspiring MLG pro sniperz seems to care about Widowmaker residing in the dumpster.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
For those trying to rise in rank in comp, I very strongly suggest that you play 1-2 games of QP before you start playing comp any given evening, both to warm up and make sure you feel like you're playing at 100% that evening. Take a good self-evaluation: are you on your game? Are you playing well? Or are you missing shots you feel like you'd normally be hitting and getting overaggressive?

You'll do a lot better (and get less frustrated) if you aren't losing rank because you're off your game for whatever reason. You'll also lose fewer points when you lose if you're performing well.

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D

Kenshin posted:

For those trying to rise in rank in comp, I very strongly suggest that you play 1-2 games of QP before you start playing comp any given evening, both to warm up and make sure you feel like you're playing at 100% that evening. Take a good self-evaluation: are you on your game? Are you playing well? Or are you missing shots you feel like you'd normally be hitting and getting overaggressive?

You'll do a lot better (and get less frustrated) if you aren't losing rank because you're off your game for whatever reason. You'll also lose fewer points when you lose if you're performing well.

Yes. I played all my games cold and I literally said "well this wasn't a good idea to jump into for my first games of the night".

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Romulux posted:

I went from rank 2333 to 2133 last night after joining a 3 person team (not goons) and losing every game we played. Holy poo poo never again. I'll be on discord tonight if anyone needs a Rein for competitive haha

Just please tell me before you drop Ana ult because when you don't I cry salty tears. >:,[

Edit: Or even better, wait for my cue. I feel like everyone should know that about Ana, honestly. It scares the poo poo out of me when I get powered up with no warning, and I've been hit with it at such inopportune times that it gets wasted. If I played Ana I'd straight up ask the tank to call when they want it.

Edit 2: Not that the tank should always get it, I'm just saying in general it's best to communicate it.

Just curious, but as a rein why do you need to know before hand?

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D

cosmicjim posted:

Because I turn into an insane killing machine and can charge my ult ridiculously fast and destroy a whole team... or.. one guy. Your choice.

Edit: Really, it's about knowing my options at any given time. You have to be situationally aware as Rein, and my main goal is to block my team from harm while progressing the objective. I need to focus on keeping damage off people and killing at opportune times as I see fit. I try to call out things often so we can progress toward the objective in some sort of efficient and safe way. I call out when my shield is going down so my team can find cover, when it's coming back up so we can begin to push again, etc. When I get randomly powered up and have to make a split second decision between trying to charge in and kill anyone around me and protecting my team, it's not always the best for the rest of the team. If I'm busy defending and I just randomly get ulted I may not have even been considering my possible targets. I may have been trying to figure out how I'm going to position myself to group the enemy team up before I ult, or I may have just recharged my shield and our team has been taking massive damage without it, and they need it back up in that moment. I've waited out bad Ana ults before with my shield up.

I love playing aggressively as Rein, but I'm at my best when I can line up multiple enemies, or at least have multiple targets to hit.

Edit 2: Here's a good video about Rein https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFliP5j8w4Q

Romulux fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

cosmicjim posted:

You should always be communicating with your team who you're going to boost and when, but this goes doubly so when it's a Reinhardt whose primary responsibility is shielding his team from harm. A Rein who drops their shield at the wrong time can wind up facilitating a teamwipe, and so being nanoboosted at a bad moment means either wasting Ana's ult or scrambling to make use of it at the risk of getting his team killed in response.