Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Freakazoid_ posted:

Does that mean the next two films have to ignore the prequels, or was that just something jayjay wanted to avoid?

They'd be losing out on a lot of good characterization for Kylo Ren, given that Anakin/Vader were totally right about the Jedi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It does seem odd that the most well-known current Star Wars property other than the movies, Rebels, is so focused on the prequels while TFA went out of its way to ignore them. The entire story of Rebels is dependent on the events of the prequels, its not even just throwaway references.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Lord Hydronium posted:

Does Vader even comment on his lightsaber during the ESB duel? I don't recall.

Anakin/Vader never gave a poo poo about his lightsaber, he was constantly losing it, dropping it, getting it destroyed in industrial accidents, bumming new ones off other Jedi, etc.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Basebf555 posted:

It does seem odd that the most well-known current Star Wars property other than the movies, Rebels, is so focused on the prequels while TFA went out of its way to ignore them. The entire story of Rebels is dependent on the events of the prequels, its not even just throwaway references.

In fairness the only thing from the PT that would really show up in TFA would be Anakin/Vader. You could do another "Jedi mysteriously survives the slaughter and survives in secret" story ala Yoda but other than that pretty much everything the PT was about died with the Emperor.

(until it turns out Snoke is Darth Plagueis)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

In fairness the only thing from the PT that would really show up in TFA would be Anakin/Vader. You could do another "Jedi mysteriously survives the slaughter and survives in secret" story ala Yoda but other than that pretty much everything the PT was about died with the Emperor.

(until it turns out Snoke is Darth Plagueis)

If he really does turn out to be Plagueis its going to be so goddamn hilarious. It will be the shitstorm of the century, I really hope it happens.

Anyway, you're talking about TFA as it is. It didn't have to be that way though, they could have made a movie that built on what the prequels did in very direct way. Instead the movie is so self-contained that it makes it seem purposely quarantined away from the prequels. I'm talking about thematically, the Jedi and the Republic as institutions are barely even touched on in TFA, and they were a primary focus in the prequels. It really felt like Abrams did everything he could to avoid talking about the overall state of galactic politics during TFA.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 21, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm of mixed minds concerning Colin Trevorrow directing episode 9. For all of Jurassic World's flaws, I think it's to Trevorrow's credit that it felt very much like a Spielberg movie. I'd be willing to trust that he could ape Lucas's style.

I think the key will be who writes IX. As I recall, Rian Johnson's deal had him writing and directing VIII and then doing a full story treatment for IX based upon his original pitch. If they stick to that, we might not be in terrible shape. Trevorrow's a really genuinely competent director, I just don't trust him handling a script.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

kiimo posted:

Beat me to it. He doesn't even need to break stride.

The one on Cloud City should have been just hovering. No way would Vader allow that to fall into the wrong hands. Even if it was still in the right hand.

look you need to know at least someone appreciated this

womp womp

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt9l7WdHEZ0

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Watched this earlier yesterday and I enjoyed it. :golfclap:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Can someone seriously explain to me why Star Wars fans seem so obsessed with playing as the bad guys? Or why so many Americans seem unironically to like comparing the Death Star attack to 9/11?

e: maybe I already asked, but it's like, really disturbing to me as an American to see so many SW fans who seem to identify with the evil faceless hordes - though I guess it shouldn't be that surprising when Trump is managing to keep the presidential race competitive.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 22, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Apollodorus posted:

Can someone seriously explain to me why Star Wars fans seem so obsessed with playing as the bad guys? Or why so many Americans seem unironically to like comparing the Death Star attack to 9/11?

e: maybe I already asked, but it's like, really disturbing to me as an American to see so many SW fans who seem to identify with the evil faceless hordes - though I guess it shouldn't be that surprising when Trump is managing to keep the presidential race competitive.

Because Star Wars is fiction, and it can be fun to explore the villainous side of things in a fictional context. I don't think any many Star Wars fans are out there actually clamoring for a rise of a despotic emperor who blows up planets and the like.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Apollodorus posted:

The most fun characters in Star Wars are the bad guys because they are the most theatrical, wear better outfits, and they show intense emotion. Compare that to the Jedi who speak in a monotone, barely have personalities, and wear burlap sacks.

Its like how so many Star Trek fans like to dress as Klingons, its because the Klingons have a crazy look and they have over the top personalities. Its not nearly as fun to pretend to be an emotionless, hyper rational alien who happens to have slightly pointed ears.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Sometimes it's fun to ham it up like ming the merciless

Serf
May 5, 2011

Apollodorus posted:

Stormtroopers look cool. Like living skeletons. The Empire's fashion sense is generally very on point.

Also, I tend to have a little sympathy for the nameless, faceless mooks who seem to exist only to get beaten by the heroes and stepped on by their superiors. The scene in TFA of the stormtroopers walking away from Kylo Ren's temper tantrum was especially humanizing.

But in the end, battle droids > stormtroopers.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Apollodorus posted:

As for the latter, the government of the USA is evil. There, I said it. The "evil faceless hordes" are the unelected, unaccountable bureaucracy. Trump is succeeding as much as he is because enough people are realizing this and believe that he will do as he says and disrupt the system.

As for the former, a lot of people secretly like the power fantasy of fascism, especially of the anonymous variety where you get the freedom to let loose when hiding behind stormtrooper masks and "just take orders" with no responsibility to answer for it. For most people it is just that: a fantasy, a role play. Usually. History has shown that's exploitable, though.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

As for the former, a lot of people secretly like the power fantasy of fascism, especially of the anonymous variety where you get the freedom to let loose when hiding behind stormtrooper masks and "just take orders" with no responsibility to answer for it. For most people it is just that: a fantasy, a role play. Usually. History has shown that's exploitable, though.

Yeah, I guess so :smith:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Apollodorus posted:

Literally everything else in film has been compared to 9/11, so we might as well round it out to the Death Star too.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The MSJ posted:

There have been constant references to the Prequels in everything that's not TFA.

TFA is also loaded with prequel references. The very first line of the film is a prequel reference. The prequels had a really big impact on people.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The prequels had a really big impact on people.

Whatever else you think of them, this is undeniably true.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Star Wars has the coolest looking bad guys of all time. I'm not sure why you don't get why being bad is rad.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
America is an empire that likes to larp as plucky freedom fighters.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
e: nah

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 22, 2016

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I found a good deal on the complete saga blu-ray set but feel like I should hold off until the eventual one with the theatrical ot releases. Have there been any rumors of that set being made or should I pull the trigger?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spacebump posted:

I found a good deal on the complete saga blu-ray set but feel like I should hold off until the eventual one with the theatrical ot releases. Have there been any rumors of that set being made or should I pull the trigger?

People have been holding their breath about that poo poo for decades now. Would it really be that big a deal if you spend $50 or $60 on the set now, then had to rebuy it some hypothetical amount of years later? Its not coming out this year or next year, I can promise you that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

People have been holding their breath about that poo poo for decades now. Would it really be that big a deal if you spend $50 or $60 on the set now, then had to rebuy it some hypothetical amount of years later? Its not coming out this year or next year, I can promise you that.

Cause if he does, they'll announce the set tomorrow.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Cause if he does, they'll announce the set tomorrow.

Even if they do it'll be like "Hey we decided we're going to do this and we're working on it as we speak", and then it'll come out in like 2 years.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
I hear tell theres HD versions of the OT on the Internet

Not special edition

I reckon

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Star Wars predicted nineeleven over 75 years before it happened.

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.

Spacebump posted:

I was in the same boat last year. I pulled the trigger. I've got no regrets

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Han Solo movie has hired Bradford Young as cinematographer. He has worked on A Most Violent Year, Selma and more recently Arrival.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
I have decided I really want Ewan MacGregor to come back as older obi wan watching over Yong Luke and stuff.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

hhhat posted:

I have decided I really want Ewan MacGregor to come back as older obi wan watching over Yong Luke and stuff.

I don't see how Disney wouldn't eventually make an Anothology movie starring Ewan MacGregor as Old Ben Kenobi, struggling to live a peaceful life of solidarity and secrecy in the wastelands of Tatooine while protecting Luke and avoiding detection from the Empire.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

AndyElusive posted:

I don't see how Disney wouldn't eventually make an Anothology movie starring Ewan MacGregor as Old Ben Kenobi, struggling to live a peaceful life of solidarity and secrecy in the wastelands of Tatooine while protecting Luke and avoiding detection from the Empire.
There was a pretty good Legends book about that (Kenobi, by John Jackson Miller), and they've done some stuff with it in the new comics as well. There was even a story about it all the way back in the old Marvel comics. The hardest sell for a movie would be a Star Wars story on a single planet with a limited scope and cast of characters, but it's definitely not an idea that the franchise has been averse to.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It's perfect he'll be the right age to play old Ben as well when it's time for Disney to reboot all the films

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Lord Hydronium posted:

The hardest sell for a movie would be a Star Wars story on a single planet with a limited scope and cast of characters, but it's definitely not an idea that the franchise has been averse to.

I need to rewatch the Ewok movies.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Bob Iger confirmed (re-confirmed?) a third Star Wars anthology film for 2020

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Did Legends ever say what happened to Luke's X wing after parking on Bespin?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

jivjov posted:

Bob Iger confirmed (re-confirmed?) a third Star Wars anthology film for 2020

I hope they struck a deal with Ewan McGregor for an "Obi-Wan in the Desert" movie.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Baron Porkface posted:

Did Legends ever say what happened to Luke's X wing after parking on Bespin?

Not that I know of off the top of my head. I'd imagine that after the Empire pursued the Falcon away from Cloud City it wouldn't have been a huge deal to go back and retrieve it at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

teagone posted:

I hope they struck a deal with Ewan McGregor for an "Obi-Wan in the Desert" movie.

In some recent interview he basically said "im game just call me JJ wink wink"

He's about to do Trainspotting 2, so Diz should get on that cash money

• Locked thread