Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

seiferguy posted:

Great article, but I had a lol at the end when I came to this:

Good work, Time! :downs:

For a second there i thought they were taking a shot at the fins saying that playing there isnt playing football...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Chichevache posted:

They are literally afraid for their lives if they do that. I have a few friends working at the Santa Clara County Jail, which is under investigation by the FBI for murdering a bunch of inmates because they're god drat psychopaths. Apparently if any officer breaks ranks with the rest, they will refuse to go to their aid when an alert happens on their block, i.e., leaving them at the mercy of the inmates they've been abusing for years. It's pretty hosed up, and really disturbing how easily most of them are sucked up into that hosed up mentality.

On Lebatards show, Stephen A Smith just said that he has spoken to minority police officers who flat out told them if they break rank they would be targeted first.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I read somewhere that 15% of cops are "good" cops that will always do the right thing even in the face of adversity, then 15% are corrupt, and the 70% rest go either way and can easily be swayed by either the good or bad cops depending on the situation. Most are there to collect a paycheck, and won't try to upset their job balance. So if they're in a corrupt police department, hell yeah they're gonna look the other way when their fellow officers do some shady as hell stuff. Everyone says their favorite MLK Jr. quote was his "I have a dream" one but my favorite is his one about moderate white America, which is more concerned about keeping the peace. Cause that still rings true as hell today.

Police unions have also become pretty corrupt. See if you can find your local police union's facebook page and you're probably gonna see a bunch of racist macros on there.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

One thing that you don't have in the UK is the seemingly unconditional backing for law enforcement you get amongst a lot of Americans. While obviously some people like the police more than others you have much more ability to hold the police to account in the UK and criticize them when things go wrong, and that's even with things getting more authoritarian lately due to expanded police powers. I've had amiable chats with police officers at antifa rallies where anti police chants have been thrown by both sides, something that I don't think would go down too well in the US (though I might be mistaken).

The constant presence of the flag is something else that UK people find strange as well though - someone openly flying the Union flag or god forbid a St George's flag is usually a pretty good giveaway that they're a ukipper or nationalist of some stripe.

Your beat cops not carrying loving guns around is pretty loving rad. How can you escalate with deadly force when you literally can't?

swickles posted:

On Lebatards show, Stephen A Smith just said that he has spoken to minority police officers who flat out told them if they break rank they would be targeted first.

Uh.... thanks Stephen A. Maybe don't act like a real journalist, because you just bring a lack of credibility to every loving thing you talk about.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Chichevache posted:

And the best part? A lot of the "scum" mellow the hell out if you drop the authority act and talk to them like a person.

Not that there aren't individuals who are irreparably broken.

Oh absolutely. You get them out of that environment and they are completely different people. The job really does mess with their heads and their persona. My brother is a cop in the burbs and it is night and day how he acts when it is a shift day and when he has off. Not that he has ever shot anyone thankfully, but there is a lot of lovely people in the town he patroles so he has to be ready for a fight every day.

The change needs to come from the top down though. Right now you get old shithead vets who have been on the job for 20 years and haven't actually cared for 18 of those years teaching the rookies and young guys the same behavior.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

swickles posted:

I'm from the Bay Area, which has a strong focus on hiring cops with Bachelor's and Master's degrees. It also pays close to 6 figures starting for a lot of the big departments. I can only imagine how loving horrible it is in places where cops make poo poo wages and wounds from the actual Civil War are still visible.

Shath Hole posted:

Oh absolutely. You get them out of that environment and they are completely different people. The job really does mess with their heads and their persona. My brother is a cop in the burbs and it is night and day how he acts when it is a shift day and when he has off. Not that he has ever shot anyone thankfully, but there is a lot of lovely people in the town he patroles so he has to be ready for a fight every day.

The change needs to come from the top down though. Right now you get old shithead vets who have been on the job for 20 years and haven't actually cared for 18 of those years teaching the rookies and young guys the same behavior.

I'm not talking about the cops, I am talking about the "scum of society" they deal with. I can't tell you how many times I've seen cops go straight to the stick without even trying the carrot first, and the carrot usually works better with junkies and the homeless. You can't really threaten someone who has nothing, but a lot of them still try. It's mind boggling.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Chilichimp posted:

Your beat cops not carrying loving guns around is pretty loving rad. How can you escalate with deadly force when you literally can't?

True, but the counterpoint to that is if a the cop shows up on a call with a taser and the perpetrator has a gun and intent to not be taken into custody...

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

Uh.... thanks Stephen A. Maybe don't act like a real journalist, because you just bring a lack of credibility to every loving thing you talk about.

The whole UK cops not carrying guns defintely helps them to feel alot less threatening thats for sure...which is what it should be. They shouldnt be a loving threat

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I was pretty dismayed by my local police union's actions following the mayor hanging a BLM banner on city hall.

Union reps threw a tantrum, mayor told them to go gently caress themselves, kept the banner up. Union organizes a protest.

We found out later that only 4 local cops went, and the vast majority of blue protesters were from other parts of the state, but it was disgusting to see over a hundred prolapsed anuses shouting racist things at a building adjacent to the high school on a school day.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

CyberPingu posted:

The whole UK cops not carrying guns defintely helps them to feel alot less threatening thats for sure...which is what it should be. They shouldnt be a loving threat

It helps that they don't arm their entire population. Personally, I think cops should have to wear baby blue dress shirts and the ridiculous hats again. They're still public servants, and the intimidating wannabe G.I. Joe look discourages the public.

edit

Let's see them do no-knock warrants and witness intimidation dressed like this.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chichevache posted:

I'm not talking about the cops, I am talking about the "scum of society" they deal with. I can't tell you how many times I've seen cops go straight to the stick without even trying the carrot first, and the carrot usually works better with junkies and the homeless. You can't really threaten someone who has nothing, but a lot of them still try. It's mind boggling.

Ahhh, yeah. This is also true. There are those cops who get off on the authority they have.

I also wonder...a large percentage of police officers are former military, a lot of them with deployments under their belt. I wonder how much of an impact that has on the way they approach law enforcement.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Shath Hole posted:

Ahhh, yeah. This is also true. There are those cops who get off on the authority they have.

I also wonder...a large percentage of police officers are former military, a lot of them with deployments under their belt. I wonder how much of an impact that has on the way they approach law enforcement.

That's another big problem of mine!

Also, cops working in a city but living 40 miles away from it. You need to be a part of the community you protect. Hiding from it in suburban enclaves is what makes it scary and foreign, and makes you just another faceless thug with a badge. loving Hollister is an entire town of white racists afraid to live in the South Bay.

edit

Get out of the cars and get back to walking the streets and doing community policing. Rescue kittens from storm drains and help the elderly cross the street, for gently caress's sake.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

So i found out about a week ago that some cops get paid more for being called out on a swat unit.

So a bunch of departments started turning every minor drug incident into a full on sting raid to get a larger paycheck.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

CyberPingu posted:

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

CyberPingu posted:

So i found out about a week ago that some cops get paid more for being called out on a swat unit.

So a bunch of departments started turning every minor drug incident into a full on sting raid to get a larger paycheck.

This makes a ton of sense. It also reminds me of S5 of the Wire where McNulty basically fabricates the serial killer so he can allocate funds to the police department to do actual work.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Oh yeah. This happens in the fire departments too though, to be honest. You have all these different technical specialties ie high angle, swift water, hazmat, etc. that you get paid extra to go on calls for. I mean, you could make the case easily that it is a lovely thing to do but I would venture to guess there are plenty of employees in all kinds of careers that milk things in order to be paid overtime.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Febreeze posted:

This makes a ton of sense. It also reminds me of S5 of the Wire where McNulty basically fabricates the serial killer so he can allocate funds to the police department to do actual work.

I love me some McNutty.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Police forces died. What we have now are paramilitary units that recruit heavily from the actual military, receive training from ex-military and in turn view each day like they're heading outside the wire in Afghanistan.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

sam bradford lmao posted:

The great majority of cops here a really good people. It's just a small minority that are awful.

Have to echo the statements before me. I also have family in law enforcement. Saying that "cops have to deal with a lot of poo poo every day" is the lamest loving excuse I have heard. No one forced you to become a cop so complaining about your duties as a cop really doesn't generate any sympathy.

The problem with good cops that make up the majority is that too few are willing to speak out against the bad ones. It makes them all appear complicit in allowing this bullshit to continue. More good officers need to speak out in support of these protests and work towards better community outreach.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

go3 posted:

Police forces died. What we have now are paramilitary units that recruit heavily from the actual military, receive training from ex-military and in turn view each day like they're heading outside the wire in Afghanistan.

When I worked as a guard in the county hospital psych ward (which basically means dealing with the people the cops can't leave at the jail) one of my coworkers would, hand to christ, wear a god drat bullet proof vest. His reasoning? "It's a warzone out there".

Then he arrested someone for being drunk at the hospital, which is where you're supposed to go if you're too drunk because hospitals take care of poo poo like overdoses and substance abuse. :cripes: brilliant.

edit

MrSargent posted:

Have to echo the statements before me. I also have family in law enforcement. Saying that "cops have to deal with a lot of poo poo every day" is the lamest loving excuse I have heard. No one forced you to become a cop so complaining about your duties as a cop really doesn't generate any sympathy.

The problem with good cops that make up the majority is that too few are willing to speak out against the bad ones. It makes them all appear complicit in allowing this bullshit to continue. More good officers need to speak out in support of these protests and work towards better community outreach.

Confession time!

I'll be applying for departments in April. Hope I don't get murdered for tweeting that Black Lives Matter. :sigh:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

When I worked as a guard in the county hospital psych ward (which basically means dealing with the people the cops can't leave at the jail) one of my coworkers would, hand to christ, wear a god drat bullet proof vest. His reasoning? "It's a warzone out there".

Then he arrested someone for being drunk at the hospital, which is where you're supposed to go if you're too drunk because hospitals take care of poo poo like overdoses and substance abuse. :cripes: brilliant.

edit

Confession time!

I'll be applying for departments in April. Hope I don't get murdered for tweeting that Black Lives Matter. :sigh:

Nice knowing you, Chich.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Chichevache posted:

edit

Confession time!

I also hope you don't get murdered for caring about black people.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chichevache posted:

Ugh man, it is the dumbest thing. Another thing that is broken.

MrSargent posted:

Not sure if this was directed at me, but who is complaining about their duties or is looking for sympathy? I was simply pointing out that most people don't have the insight into what cops actually have to deal with every day. If you polled people, most people would probably say something along the lines of ALL DEY DO IS EAT DONUTS AND PULL ME OVER FER SPEEDING. No one is saying "they deal with poo poo" is an excuse for murdering innocent civilians. All I'm saying is most don't see the dark things that cops do, and deal with a lot of the evil that they have to deal with.

I don't know how many calls I have been on where our cops had been outnumbered by a 10:1 ratio of pissed of hysterical people cursing at them, spitting on them, threatening them, etc. Again, not that it justifies anything, it doesn't, but it's a reality that most people don't see.

Chichevache posted:

Confession time!

Good luck buddy! Hopefully you don't have to test for too long before you latch on somewhere!

weird Asian candy fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 22, 2016

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Don't worry, he won't get hired with that stuff in his twitter feed

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
This aint the 60s-70s when cops were being more attacked and killed in the line of duty. It's pretty low now.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Long story short, the paranoia of both LEO and their primary backers over violent crime and policing backlash does not jive with the fact that the United States is safer than it has ever been, and the same for policing. The foundation was laid for this by the War on Drugs but since 9/11 we're "at war" and the results show.

Edit: Part of this I think is the 'vindictiveness' of average people, at least the ones I interact with. We don't want justice, we want punishment. If someone does something wrong, they need to be punished to the fullest extent possible, especially if they are one of them. Last year my wife served on a jury for a sexual assault case. The incident was maybe 3 years old and ultimately a pretty flimsy case so he was found innocent, but there were people on the jury who wanted to find him guilty for no other reason than 'well, someone needs to be punished'. These are the same people who justify to themselves some unarmed guy getting blasted because he had an arrest two years prior. He did bad things before so obviously he would do them again!

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 22, 2016

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

go3 posted:

Long story short, the paranoia of both LEO and their primary backers over violent crime and policing backlash does not jive with the fact that the United States is safer than it has ever been, and the same for policing. The foundation was laid for this by the War on Drugs but since 9/11 we're "at war" and the results show.

I can't speak to other areas, but Chicago just reported the most violent month (August) in 20 years. More than 400 shot and almost 80 homicides. So, I'm not sure that is entirely accurate...

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Colonel Whitey posted:

Don't worry, he won't get hired with that stuff in his twitter feed

:420: smoke erryday

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Chip Kelly is woke af: http://www.sfchronicle.com/49ers/article/49ers-Kaepernick-on-Time-cover-Kelly-terms-9239723.php?t=67d30e2043&cmpid=twitter-premium

quote:

“I think it’s an issue — you look at what’s gone on in Tulsa and in Charlotte the last two nights — it’s an issue that’s at the forefront of our country,” Kelly said. “And it needs to be addressed and be taken care of because what’s going on is not right. So I think, again, he’s shedding light on a situation that is heinous. And shouldn’t happen in this country. We all have inalienable rights as a citizen and this country and they’re being violated. And I think that’s what Colin is standing up for.”

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Shath Hole posted:

I can't speak to other areas, but Chicago just reported the most violent month (August) in 20 years. More than 400 shot and almost 80 homicides. So, I'm not sure that is entirely accurate...

Chicago is a completely different problem and this year might break some trends, particularly in the officer death column, but as a whole the US is safer than ever.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Shath Hole posted:

Yes, Chicago has gotten worse but the crime rate of the country as a whole has been steadily declining for decades.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 22, 2016

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

go3 posted:

Chicago is a completely different problem and this year might break some trends, particularly in the officer death column, but as a whole the US is safer than ever.

Yeah, Chicago is it's own special little hell when you consider the police were running a literal black site torture den.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

go3 posted:

Just doing a quick google search, seems like Baltimore, Detroit, St. Louis are all up in homicides as well.

quote:

St. Louis – 116 homicides as of August 4, up over 50% from the same period in 2014. Based on its population, St. Louis’ half-year homicide rate is 36 per 100,000 residents.

Baltimore – 189 homicides through July 31, almost 60% more than the same period last year. The city’s rate is now at a historic high based on its population – 30 slayings per 100,000 residents. (During the 1970s, there were higher homicide numbers in some years, but the city had between 200,000 and 250,000 more residents then.)

I think it is more of a problem than you are letting on.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Shath Hole posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/05/18/us/chicago-murder-problem.html explains some of what makes Chicago unique.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Shath Hole posted:

Not sure if this was directed at me, but who is complaining about their duties or is looking for sympathy? I was simply pointing out that most people don't have the insight into what cops actually have to deal with every day. If you polled people, most people would probably say something along the lines of ALL DEY DO IS EAT DONUTS AND PULL ME OVER FER SPEEDING. No one is saying "they deal with poo poo" is an excuse for murdering innocent civilians. All I'm saying is most don't see the dark things that cops do, and deal with a lot of the evil that they have to deal with.

I don't know how many calls I have been on where our cops had been outnumbered by a 10:1 ratio of pissed of hysterical people cursing at them, spitting on them, threatening them, etc. Again, not that it justifies anything, it doesn't, but it's a reality that most people don't see.

If you aren't looking for sympathy, then what is the point of telling people they don't understand how hard it is to be a police officer? I think it's a bit disingenuous to assume most people think cops just eat donuts.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Shath Hole posted:

I always hate bringing this up whenever Chicago is mentioned but virtually all of that happens in the south side. The reason I hate bringing it up is because it makes me sounds so ":smug: heh the north side is just fine heh :smug:"

Also - Chip Kelly owns

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

sam bradford lmao posted:

I always hate bringing this up whenever Chicago is mentioned but virtually all of that happens in the south side. The reason I hate bringing it up is because it makes me sounds so ":smug: heh the north side is just fine heh :smug:"

Also - Chip Kelly owns
I don't think it really matters where it happens in this case, but keep bringing it up if it makes you feel better.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Shath Hole posted:

Just doing a quick google search, seems like Baltimore, Detroit, St. Louis are all up in homicides as well.

I think it is more of a problem than you are letting on.

You're welcome at any point to start looking at the US as a whole

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Bill Barber posted:

I don't think it really matters where it happens in this case, but keep bringing it up if it makes you feel better.
I only bring it up because people who have never been to Chicago think it encompasses the entire city, but don't let that stop you from throwing snark at me :waycool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

go3 posted:

You're welcome at any point to start looking at the US as a whole

I get your point, but I also think passing over the statistics of large city homicides on the rise because it doesn't fit the narrative is also a wee bit naive don't you think?

e: Anyway, sorry I got us off on a derail. Just saw this graphic and found it interesting and pretty well highlights why Kaep is doing this.

weird Asian candy fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 22, 2016

• Locked thread