Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Rocket Wizard posted:

We had our initial appointment at the fertility clinic and it was mostly disappointing. They basically said with my husband's numbers there's really no point in trying IUI. I'm completely terrified of everything about IVF, but they said unless he can get above 5 million motile sperm there's no chance. This is not super likely since his initial test was under 1 million.

Anyone have any miracle suggestions for improving count/motility? I bought those Fertilaid vitamins and everyone at work is suggesting acupuncture (for me, but I read that it can help guys, too).

I really don't want to have to give myself injections multiple times a times a day for 4 weeks straight. Possibly multiple months in a row.

Hi,

I can't help with sperm but I can, and will, at great length, speak to IVF experiences. When I was facing it I was terrified too. I cried my eyes out reading about the OPU (egg collection surgery) and the idea of injecting myself. It's not something anyone wants to do but it's not as bad once you're doing it. We are a lot more resilient than we think. Also it's not 4 weeks of injections for months on end - I wanted to get that out early, it's explained more clearly in the egg collection part!

Ovulation monitoring is something you do every single cycle and there is no pain or risk to you with this one. The first part is transvaginal ultrasound and that's going to come down to how, uh, modest you are. I am lucky in that I have a very relaxed approach to doctors, I've always been the one reassuring male doctors that I don't care if they do my pap smear and no I don't want to reschedule with a female doctor. In the lead up to any fresh or frozen IVF cycles you'll have a few of these because they need to track exactly when you ovulate. I had 3-4 of these each time, spaced out every couple of days between days 6-14 (ish) of my cycle. After each ultrasound, or in lieu of an ultrasound sometimes as your follicles mature, you get a blood test to double-check your LH has/hasn't surged, and another blood test at the end of the cycle as a pregnancy test. If you have anxiety about getting blood tests this could be a bit scarier, but I was more annoyed about having to get up early to get all this poo poo done before work.

Egg collection is the main discomfort, it's the one everyone thinks about, but for the most part the injections are only for fresh cycles and only for a week and a half (depending on the protocol used, but if your hubby has the problem you'll likely be a simple antagonist cycle) I had to do 2 egg collection cycles, some women only need 1 to get enough embryos. . Once they get a few frozen embryos from your egg collection(s) you have no medication, just ovulation monitoring, to ensure they transfer your embryos at the same post-ovulation age as your uterine lining. The important point here: you may only have to do this once and it's only for the first half of your cycle! Also you should have good support from your clinic/nurses to go through the medication with you and let you try your first injections in the office with them present to give advice.
The type of medication they give you differs on your cycle and other factors, but I had a few different types since I did it twice. The Gonal-F that basically everyone has is like an epi-pen diabetics use. It has a tiny needle, you barely feel it. This will become your old faithful and you'll think of it fondly if you have to take other meds. I took it once a day from day 3-ish to day 12-ish. The other injection supresses ovulation, it has a fatter needle and stings a bit but you only have to take that after your follicles have gotten fat - from maybe day 8 to day 12-13ish. The trigger injection - to make you ovulate in time with your surgery - is either a tiny easy epi-pen needle you don't feel like the Gonal-F, or it's a chemistry experiment of powders and saline you mix up yourself and inject with a fatter needle that stings a bit. The surgery itself is twilight anaesthesia, sounds scary but it's a very light anaesthetic. You're out like a light and then suddenly you're awake, you get dressed and out the door in probably an hour. I think you get more nervous waiting in the little hospital gown. Some people puke or feel faint after, I never had those problems, if you have had a general before you'll know roughly how you react. The next few days after collection are uncomfortable and your ovaries feel swollen like fat little melons .... because they are swollen like fat little melons. You can go back to work the next day, I did the first time but I am reasonably active at work so I took a few days off for the second one.

Embryo/blast transfer happens 2-5 days after egg collection in a fresh cycle or ovulation in a frozen cycle and it's just a high-stakes pap smear. I felt nothing. You don't have to do anything different, there is no evidence rest improves implantation. Then you shove some progesterone pessary chasers up there every day until your blood test - not painful, just a bit gross cos you're leaking various oils or powders or fluids.

In terms of going through the motions multiple months in a row, that's sort of up to you. You call them and tell them when your period starts to initiate a cycle. After 2 failed cycles in a row my doctor said come in and have a chat, and we switched some stuff up for next time. My timing was such that I still did three cycles back to back. It was only in the middle of my third cycle that I thought it might be a good idea for me to take a break, and my main concern was the ovulation monitoring and having to get up super early to fit it all in before work.

So in summary please don't be scared if this is what you want and this is what it takes, because you will be fine. Get a good doctor you feel comfortable with and that will go a long way towards your experience of regular dildocams.

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
I'm so sorry :(

Has he seen a urologist? If they've ruled out fixable causes I think the only things he can try are cutting out alcohol completely, no smoking, drinking lots of water—basically doing everything textbook "healthy" to see whether that has any affect.

Rocket Wizard
Jun 9, 2007
The thing that went "parp" went "parp".
Thanks so much for that whole run down Kat! I've been reading random stuff online and it's all scary sounding. I did try to do some google research on whether the progesterone injections work better than the suppositories and it didn't seem like it. Those were the injections that sounded super awful and I'd have to do them for every cycle. I also couldn't find anything confirming that you're under anesthesia when they do the egg collection so that's reassuring. And we both immediately liked our doctor so I was happy about that.

I looked up some success rates of IVF vs. IUI too and she wasn't kidding when she said IVF has a way better chance of working.

Hubby's tests and stuff will start next week (he's been out of town since our appointment) and then he'll see the clinic's urologist. The ones through our HMO don't specialize in reproductive issues apparently. He's generally pretty healthy, does lots of physical activity and eats vegetarian with me, but he's willing do to vitamins and try to cut back on caffeine and alcohol and stuff if necessary. We've been trying to keep his laptop off his lap too, which is a constant struggle.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Good luck with the building efforts and finding something you get cover with. American insurance seems so confusing and arbitrary.

Even if your doctor suggested injections initially there are alternatives you could ask about. I had a different type of pessary each cycle: crinone cream, natural progesterone in cocobutter bullets, and some powder tablets that were 3 times daily but I forget the name.

Rocket Wizard
Jun 9, 2007
The thing that went "parp" went "parp".
Hopefully our doctor will be understanding about trying the non-injectable options if that's my main concern.

We can't really get a straight answer on whose insurance will pay for the urologist, too since we each have insurance from our own employer rather than one of us being a dependent on the other's plan. It's actually cheaper that way even with the same HMO. Insurance in the US is basically terrible.

Does anyone else feel kinda resentful of the amount of invasive tests required to even start fertility treatments? Like if I could just go get knocked up like normal I wouldn't have to prove myself fit in a million different ways. I guess it's probably a liability thing, if it turns out something horrible happens they can be sued for helping you get pregnant, but it feels so paternalistic and unfair.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I am given a cruel reminder of why I had an IUD and was taking the pill after this week of hell and it is because I HATE MY PERIOD AMD WANT TO DIE. Seriously. I have had a migraine for four days straight and always feel like puking.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Just found out a few days ago that I'm officially pregnant. :) Still very surreal. Got my first physician appointment in two weeks.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Congrats! :hellyeah:

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009
Congrats!! So exciting!

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Congrats!

So my wife got her period today, but this is the first time since we started trying so we've obviously only been trying this month. I knew I shouldn't have gotten excited but it was a little sad. It's ridiculous but I immediately thought what if me or her had some issue with us and I know it's ridiculous to even want to go and check as they'll pretty much turn us around and say "keep trying" but still the thoughts creep into your head.

Either way nothing too crazy just wait until the next cycle around! She's got her little Ovulation test so at least we are smart about timing :)

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

teacup posted:

Congrats!

So my wife got her period today, but this is the first time since we started trying so we've obviously only been trying this month. I knew I shouldn't have gotten excited but it was a little sad. It's ridiculous but I immediately thought what if me or her had some issue with us and I know it's ridiculous to even want to go and check as they'll pretty much turn us around and say "keep trying" but still the thoughts creep into your head.

Either way nothing too crazy just wait until the next cycle around! She's got her little Ovulation test so at least we are smart about timing :)

I had been trying since the beginning of the year and had the same thoughts each time my period showed up. I even went so far to start researching surrogates and adoption. I finally got the LH hormone test strips and it made everything work out. Good luck!

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Been lurking this thread for the last year and a half. It's kept me from getting down for the time that my wife and I have been trying for a baby. We followed a lot of suggestions here tracking basal temps, ovulation tests, changing diet and habits, etc.

Wife took a test on Friday, negative result. We both were about to settle into the valley of "not this time" after the usual monthly optimism until she decided to pick up a test today "just to make sure". This one was the First Response Pregnancy Pro (with the gimmicky iphone app thing). Those three minutes passed and there it was...showing an unambiguous "Yes+". Checked the app and said "You're pregnant!".

Need to make an appointment with a doctor just to make sure but uh...I think we might be having a Higgy Jr. next spring.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Congrats!!!

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Is there some recommended magic amount of time to do a handstand (not)/put a pillow under the hips to encourage the chances of conception after sex? or is that all an old wives tale?

Roulette
Sep 17, 2006
You never want to hear from the doctor, "You are technically pregnant but...." and in this case my HCG is just super low so it's not looking good. I have to retest tomorrow to see if there's improvement and they've given me progesterone suppositories which I guess might help but man this is a crappy feeling. I'm 34 and been trying for ages and I just want to be excited about this, not waiting to bleed out. :sigh:

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

Roulette posted:

You never want to hear from the doctor, "You are technically pregnant but...." and in this case my HCG is just super low so it's not looking good. I have to retest tomorrow to see if there's improvement and they've given me progesterone suppositories which I guess might help but man this is a crappy feeling. I'm 34 and been trying for ages and I just want to be excited about this, not waiting to bleed out. :sigh:

I'm so sorry! Did you test again?

Roulette
Sep 17, 2006
Tested again yesterday and lost the pregnancy. :( Also found out my TSH is high but I have Hashimoto's so this is a constant struggle but obviously that didn't help the situation. Good timing that I happen to have an endo appointment on Tuesday that was scheduled six months ago.

I guess we'll just keep trying but man that was exciting for like two days!

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Higgy posted:

Been lurking this thread for the last year and a half. It's kept me from getting down for the time that my wife and I have been trying for a baby. We followed a lot of suggestions here tracking basal temps, ovulation tests, changing diet and habits, etc.

Wife took a test on Friday, negative result. We both were about to settle into the valley of "not this time" after the usual monthly optimism until she decided to pick up a test today "just to make sure". This one was the First Response Pregnancy Pro (with the gimmicky iphone app thing). Those three minutes passed and there it was...showing an unambiguous "Yes+". Checked the app and said "You're pregnant!".

Need to make an appointment with a doctor just to make sure but uh...I think we might be having a Higgy Jr. next spring.

Wow, so I spoke far too soon. I was excited. :smith:

Tested over the next couple days just to confirm and all came back negative. Wife started her period, albeit a weird start (her words) and then we had the doctor's appointment which confirmed the negative result. Onwards and upwards, I guess...this was a heartbreaking week.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

My wife and I got married in April, she turned 40 in May, and we've been sort of trying the past two months. Pretty sure we win for the oldest first-time-TTCers

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
We're thinking of trying to get pregnant soon but my wife was wondering if we should both get physicals before we try. Any thoughts?

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007
It can't hurt. Especially for her, she should get her rubella titers checked.

Roulette
Sep 17, 2006

Higgy posted:

Tested over the next couple days just to confirm and all came back negative. Wife started her period, albeit a weird start (her words) and then we had the doctor's appointment which confirmed the negative result. Onwards and upwards, I guess...this was a heartbreaking week.

Right there with ya buddy :sadpeanut:

At least what I can take from the experience is how my partner and I both reacted and how it really did solidify our desire to be parents now. It's given us a lot to talk about and get excited about for the future despite it not working out this time. Best of luck to you guys!

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Higgy posted:

That happened to us multiple times before it happened (we tried for more than 3 or 4 years) . Hang in there :sympathy:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I've had a really intense cramp on and off for about 12 hours now in one side of my lower abdomen. I'm not due for moon time until the 30th and usually I don't get cramps this early. I tried to google it but I can't parse the TTCspeak on different forums

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Google mittelschmerz. It's not exactly at ovulation, it can be before and after too. I only started getting it when I turned 32, I had pain free periods until then, but it was also one of the earliest signs of my endometriosis. Hopefully for your sake it's just a particularly fat follicle that popped this cycle.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
ohhh mittelschmirz and I are well acquainted. it's usually next week it really starts so I'm hoping youre right.

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT

Mooseontheloose posted:

We're thinking of trying to get pregnant soon but my wife was wondering if we should both get physicals before we try. Any thoughts?

I did this after we found out we were pregnant and got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, so like Wendy said it can't hurt.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
I'm a first-time egg donor and about to start my injections. It's an anonymous donation so I'll never know who the intended parents are, but I'm really really hoping the intended mother gets pregnant and has a baby. I wish there was something I could do to ensure a good outcome, but other than being compliant with my medications and having an astronomical AMH level (associated with higher number of eggs retrieved and better chance of a successful pregnancy) all I can do is cross my fingers. I hope they're willing to let me know if she gets pregnant and has a healthy baby. I'm just incredibly honored to have been chosen as the biological mother of this couple's potential baby and to have the opportunity to give them my eggs, it's so exciting.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

republicant posted:

I'm a first-time egg donor and about to start my injections. It's an anonymous donation so I'll never know who the intended parents are, but I'm really really hoping the intended mother gets pregnant and has a baby. I wish there was something I could do to ensure a good outcome, but other than being compliant with my medications and having an astronomical AMH level (associated with higher number of eggs retrieved and better chance of a successful pregnancy) all I can do is cross my fingers. I hope they're willing to let me know if she gets pregnant and has a healthy baby. I'm just incredibly honored to have been chosen as the biological mother of this couple's potential baby and to have the opportunity to give them my eggs, it's so exciting.

I assume as part of the lead up to the egg donation process you've had an ultrasound camera shoved in all sorts of places to check out your equipment? I only mention because an astronomical AMH can be an indicator of PCOS.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010

Tamarillo posted:

I assume as part of the lead up to the egg donation process you've had an ultrasound camera shoved in all sorts of places to check out your equipment? I only mention because an astronomical AMH can be an indicator of PCOS.

Yeah they did an ultrasound and checked out each ovary and the doctor thought everything looked fine. I thought the same thing about possibly having PCOS, but I don't have any of the symptoms and I get a regular period every month. I started my period at 11 years old and my mom still hasn't really hit menopause yet at 54, so we may just have a ton of eggs for some reason.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
After two boys, we are considering trying for a third baby and hope for a girl.
Is there any actual real science or stuff to do, or are all of those suggestions totally as hokey as they sound?

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

canyoneer posted:

After two boys, we are considering trying for a third baby and hope for a girl.
Is there any actual real science or stuff to do, or are all of those suggestions totally as hokey as they sound?

You can have IVF with preimplantation genetic testing to determine the chromosomal sex of your embryos. You could also do IUI with pre-sorted sperm, since there's a very small difference in weight between X sperm and Y sperm, but that's not as accurate.

It seems like there's probably no difference between how X sperm and Y sperm behave, so the Shettles method of intercourse timing is probably not effective. There have been conflicting studies with different results examining whether the sex ratio changes with intercourse timing, but the ones that suggest you can pick the sex of your baby based on when you have sex are older, so you can take that for what it's worth.

Also, even if you have an XX baby, bear in mind that you're not guaranteed a girl! We don't know what causes someone to be a particular gender, but we do know that chromosomal and morphological sex is only part of it. You could end up like my parents, who thought they had had nothing but girls until my brother told them he was trans.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

We've got two girls, and my wife is pregnant with our third. She's convinced she's bigger (probably just because her body is used to being bigger).

I'm happy with another girl, not bothered by a boy. Get more wears out of the girls clothes and I know how to keep a girl clean.

Less likely chance of my face being pissed on too. Which is a plus.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I know that usually OBs recommend getting a work up if you don't conceive within a year of trying, but do you guys know if there's a different timeline after a surgical procedure? I unfortunately miscarried my last pregnancy (which I conceived pretty much immediately after discontinuing bc) and had to get a D&E. It's been a couple months of trying now (almost 6 months post procedure) and I'm curious as to what point I should consider that we might be having some trouble and it's not just bad luck. Things seem to be functioning normally, but I don't really want to waste time, if that makes sense.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

BadSamaritan posted:

I know that usually OBs recommend getting a work up if you don't conceive within a year of trying, but do you guys know if there's a different timeline after a surgical procedure? I unfortunately miscarried my last pregnancy (which I conceived pretty much immediately after discontinuing bc) and had to get a D&E. It's been a couple months of trying now (almost 6 months post procedure) and I'm curious as to what point I should consider that we might be having some trouble and it's not just bad luck. Things seem to be functioning normally, but I don't really want to waste time, if that makes sense.

A D&C or a D&E? I'd imagine the recovery time for the latter is a little longer. I'd still wait a year because you'll likely get "well if you got pregnant once then clearly your body can do it". If it helps, I got pregnant about 8 months after a D&C. It kind of sucks when you keep reading about how after a miscarriage you're supposedly extra fertile. Did they tell you to wait two months or whatever it is after the procedure to start trying again?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Yeah, it was the latter unfortunately. I was down to the "<2% chance of this happening" window of the pregnancy. We waited the two months that they suggested, and just finished our 3rd month of trying again. I know in the long run this *really* isn't very much time trying, I just want to have a point on my radar where I won't feel silly calling the doctor about following up. She did offer to do an HSG to rule out some stuff, but I'm not sure if I want to do it. It can be tough because I think my husband thought things would go as quickly the second time around and I think it's wearing pretty hard on him.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Should there be concern about having had alcohol prior to a (surprise) positive pregnancy test?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Red posted:

Should there be concern about having had alcohol prior to a (surprise) positive pregnancy test?

I wouldn't be too concerned. My OB said that it happens all the time and she's never seen a bad outcome from it because in the beginning, the embryo is dependent on a yolk sac and not your blood stream. I got pregnant like immediately right before a very drunk trip in Italy, my son's totally normal.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

BadSamaritan posted:

Yeah, it was the latter unfortunately. I was down to the "<2% chance of this happening" window of the pregnancy. We waited the two months that they suggested, and just finished our 3rd month of trying again. I know in the long run this *really* isn't very much time trying, I just want to have a point on my radar where I won't feel silly calling the doctor about following up. She did offer to do an HSG to rule out some stuff, but I'm not sure if I want to do it. It can be tough because I think my husband thought things would go as quickly the second time around and I think it's wearing pretty hard on him.

Fuuuck, I'm sorry -- I was really pulling for a typo there. If the doctor offered then it can't hurt to take her up on it, but also know that you're still at the point where it's probably just taking time. Especially if it happened really quickly the first time I wouldn't worry yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Rurutia posted:

I wouldn't be too concerned. My OB said that it happens all the time and she's never seen a bad outcome from it because in the beginning, the embryo is dependent on a yolk sac and not your blood stream. I got pregnant like immediately right before a very drunk trip in Italy, my son's totally normal.

That seems to be the general feeling, but lots of "books" full of "science" say alcohol should be avoided from conception onward. Because most women light up like pinball machines when impregnated, I assume.

• Locked thread