Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

GoodBee posted:

As far as Theme Forces go, is it confirmed that there will be models that can only be taken in a certain theme force? Or was that just speculation?

Because if that's true, then that would make balancing new models easier. We might get some cool new poo poo with new mechanics that would be really fun and balanced with a subset of casters in a faction even though it would be busted as hell if you took it with other casters or models in the same faction.

I also don't mind asymmetrical releases in theory. There was already an asymmetry between WarMachine and Hordes releases, I don't think it will be a problem between factions.

In the Primecast they said that all models released in the theme books will be available to be used outside of theme forces. Just that the theme forces might give them tweaked abilities/weapon attachments/orders etc.

The only exception to this all be the Cephalyx due to the nature of their army restrictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Or the Desert Hydra.

I hadn't played in a couple of years and then my brother made me google the Desert Hydra. That thing is loving cool looking. Then I'm painting on my back log and playing again.

I don't know what "soon" is in relation to book release and model release though. If there are 3-6 new models in a book, are they all going to be released in the next month or two or over the next 6 months?

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

GoodBee posted:

Or the Desert Hydra.

I hadn't played in a couple of years and then my brother made me google the Desert Hydra. That thing is loving cool looking. Then I'm painting on my back log and playing again.

I don't know what "soon" is in relation to book release and model release though. If there are 3-6 new models in a book, are they all going to be released in the next month or two or over the next 6 months?

PP has stated that their goal for theme book models are to get the released into the hands of players a couple of months after the book comes out.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Excelsiortothemax posted:

In the Primecast they said that all models released in the theme books will be available to be used outside of theme forces. Just that the theme forces might give them tweaked abilities/weapon attachments/orders etc.

The only exception to this all be the Cephalyx due to the nature of their army restrictions.

Blah. I was hoping for something cooler. I can understand that making a model that can be used in any list for that faction *might* be a better seller than something that can only be used in a Theme Force.

Also, Cephalyx are weird. I'm cool with that but Cephalyx only players who make demands that they function like a regular faction need to be kicked in the dick. Repeatedly.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

PP has stated that their goal for theme book models are to get the released into the hands of players a couple of months after the book comes out.

A couple of months could be 6-12 months for all of them for 3-6 new models and not be ridiculous though. Who knows though.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

The pessimist in me thinks that pp has seen gw's model and wants some of that forbidden fruit

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I can't really understand that, even as a pessimist. I can't see anyone trying to emulate GW. GW's thing seems to be momentum and market saturation.

PP is probably second in both though. WMH is the longest running rules + dedicated minis set I know of. The only thing I can think of that might possibly have gotten into more stores is one of the Wizards or Fantasy Flight minis games. I haven't heard as much about any of those though.

PP seems to have always been about the game first, minis second. Whereas GW seems cool with releasing awesome minis and the game as a secondary thing you might do with your minis. Granted, I've followed GWs minis way more than their rules.

I'm not a super GW hater or anything. I've had 3 different 40K armies in the past. I've still got one fully painted. I played a game with it a couple of years ago and had fun doing if. But they have not had as nice/tight of a tournament rules set as PP as had since PP started making Steamroller rules.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

im trying to put together a small toolbox, for lack of a better word, for my actual gaming supplies. a couple dicebags, a couple digest size rulebooks, tape measure, templates for WMH and other stuff, that kind of thing. any suggestions for something to stuff all this nonsense in?

something like this is probably what you're lookin for

also fits glue and whatnot for on-the-spot repairs or building a new model in the store

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Iceclaw posted:

Yeah that too. I like getting new toys more than once a year. Speaking of which, I reread Malakov2's profil and he feels a lot more interesting. Anyone know when he'll hit shelves?

Malakov2 is a really great warcaster and I've had a lot of fun and success with him. They said they should be released within a year of whenever the pre-release was, iirc.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

something like this is probably what you're lookin for

also fits glue and whatnot for on-the-spot repairs or building a new model in the store

This is pretty much the exact same plastic toolbox I keep my excess modeling poo poo in. It has all the same spots for storing poo poo. Huge main bin for whatever; convenient tray for brushes and crap; tiny compartments in the lid for bits and other crap. My random crap compartment is mostly basing material and brush cleaner.

The external dimensions on mine are about 10x10x18. I bought mine so long ago but I can't imagine the price difference would be that much. Mine's a Black and Decker but it looks the same.

I think it's too big to cart around for game aids though.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

GoodBee posted:

PP is probably second in both though. WMH is the longest running rules + dedicated minis set I know of. The only thing I can think of that might possibly have gotten into more stores is one of the Wizards or Fantasy Flight minis games. I haven't heard as much about any of those though.

I'm pretty sure that some of the napoleonic or other tiny-infantry games are up there, if it's just purely longevity. One of my FLGS has a group of old guard that actually still plays them.

I forgot to do a batrep of my last tourney, so here you go!

Round 0 - The Setup:

So a week or so after we announced our event, another gaming store said "eh, gently caress 'em" and scheduled their own event on the same day. As a result we had a lot less people than we anticipated, but we ended up with enough to run a small event. We got enough people around 1:30, throwing our 1PM start time to the breeze. Whatever though, they're all good people and that's what counts.

Round 1 - The Think Tank:

Hoo boy. My opponent was one of the younger players in the store, and not used to playing on the clock. and boy howdy did it show. his first turn, the run forward turn, took him 20 minutes as he completely panicked and ruined his positioning. Honestly, after that he played fine, but the damage was done, both to his clock, his morale, and his board control. He literally ran his sentinels behind his objective, and couldn't charge on his next turn because of it. That's how panicked he was. He's normally a much better player.

On the start of my turn, I told him I was gonna give him some advice, "one sec though, let me go buy some chips first." [with the clock running]. OK, where was I? And where's my drink? Oh, I left it by my bag, brb. Then I basically told him to ignore the clock. It'll be there, but you usually don't take that long on your turns anyways, don't let it control or panic you. blah blah. It was a valuable experience. And Reznik wracked Rahn.

Round 2 - The Slaughter:

Between rounds, apparently this guy was talking by the table and his shirt caught on the dagger of one of my Flame Bringers... Why are the floors of gaming places always concrete or tile? It broke in 3 places. Next round I ended up facing him [it actually was random, I swear]. I usually play a very friendly game, reminding people of interactions, making sure people don't make obvious mistakes, things like that. But I didn't hold back. I wasn't unsportsmanlike, but I played a real-competitive style instead of the normal laid-back one.

I didn't point out that his light infantry was all grouped up in range of my Castigator, or remind him about Scourge of Heresy's Purgation when he put Quicken up on Ossyan. I mean, it was a tourney setting, but I still do feel a little bad for not pulling any punches against someone who I was better than. I'm sure I'll get over it.

Round 3 - KNEEL BEFORE ZOD MENOTH

Oh boy, Cryxtime! pGoreshade! THIS was a brawl. I played my pKreoss list into it and boy howdy did I underestimate some of his hitting power. D.Warded Flame Bringers [the glue set between rounds] kicked utter rear end. They demolished Statistic Raiders and repositioned to play cleanup. On the other side of the map, he tried to bait me by feeding me a heavy. I obliged, and paid for it dearly. After he bane-feated I lost a full unit of cinerators, two heavy warjacks, and all of my idrians. I had enough models left to counterfeat, and was able to clear out almost all of his army. It was a good and fair game, I gotta say. And it could have easily swung the other way if he had cleared just one or two more of my models.

Then I gave the first place to the cryx player because I can't win prizes and was playing because there was an odd number of people. Everybody had fun though, so it's all good.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

So what were your lists

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

mp5 posted:

So what were your lists

My order of Dervishes and other characters hasn't come in yet, so my lists are limited to what I own.

pKreoss
-Castigator
-Crusader
-Vanquisher
2x Wrack
Mechanik
Max Idrians + UA
Max Flame Bringers
Max Cinerators
Sunburst Deliverer Crew
Min Choir

pReznik
-Corbeau
-Castigator
-Crusader
-Revenger
-Scourge of Heresy
2x Wrack
Alten Ashley
Max Choir
Flame Bringers
Idrians + UA

Once my order comes in the Reznik is going to change to Blood of Martyrs, Scourge, Reckoner with Honor Guard as a 9 point 2x Shield Guard for him and Cobreau. I'll figure out how to rework the Kreoss list later too, but BoM is absolutely going in there.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I'm pretty sure that some of the napoleonic or other tiny-infantry games are up there, if it's just purely longevity. One of my FLGS has a group of old guard that actually still plays them.

Flames of War is still going pretty strong I think.

Edit:

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Statistic Raiders
I'm going to find it hard not to call them this from now on.

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Sep 22, 2016

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

When a model with multiple melee weapons succesfully Charges, do they forfeit their other initial attack(s)? Somehow I had it in my head that they do, but looking through the rulebook now, I can't find anything that says it's the case, so I think I'm wrong about that now.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

No, that's never been the case iirc. You do your charge attack first (you declare which weapon before charging usually), then the other initials.

The only exceptions are specials, but that has nothing to do with whether you're charging or not.

wearing a lampshade fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 22, 2016

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

You're confusing it with power attacks. If you do a power attack [many of which can be done on the charge, such as the Ironclad's] you sacrifice your initials.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Alpha Phoenix posted:

You're confusing it with power attacks. If you do a power attack [many of which can be done on the charge, such as the Ironclad's] you sacrifice your initials.

You cannot do power attacks on the charge. You can, however, do a model's listed special attacks (*Attack) on the charge, assuming it is on a melee weapon. Whether you're doing a special attack or a power attack, however, that takes up the model's initial attacks completely, so you can only buy attacks afterward.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Yeah, I had a crossed wire from somewhere, probably power attacks. Thanks for the quick correction.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

So the Zaal Direct Spirits ruling is pretty sweet.

quote:

Soul Taker allows a model to gain souls due to the first sentence of the ability. When Direct Spirits is used, you can transfer the soul to any model capable of gaining soul tokens.

A model can gain souls it couldn't collect normally due to Direct Spirits. Soul Taker has its own specific restrictions on souls it can gather normally. Direct Spirits allows additional souls with its ability.

But this doesn't mean you can load up ancestral guardians with 15 soul tokens. If a model is capped at 3, then that's the max it can get.

However, if you use up all of your soul tokens, Zaal can then put them on who ever he wants if you kill your own guys, so Hakaar could use up all of his souls, you the player kill off 3 of your own dudes (or your opponent's infan.... Hahahahah no one uses infantry) before or during Zaal's activation, and then Haakaar can be full of souls again.

Also seems pretty good if your opponent messed up order of activations and lets you add a soul or two to your guardians by killing the wrong units first.

Pretty exciting for the 8 skorne players left (2 who are actually playing zaal)

waah fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 22, 2016

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

S.J. posted:

You cannot do power attacks on the charge. You can, however, do a model's listed special attacks (*Attack) on the charge, assuming it is on a melee weapon. Whether you're doing a special attack or a power attack, however, that takes up the model's initial attacks completely, so you can only buy attacks afterward.

That is, in fact, exactly what I meant.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

waah posted:

So the Zaal Direct Spirits ruling is pretty sweet.

Pretty exciting for the 8 skorne players left (2 who are actually playing zaal)

This seems like you can really power up the Extoller Advocates really quick to take advantage of those buffs.

I need to get in some Zaal games for Mk3.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Crazy Ferret posted:

This seems like you can really power up the Extoller Advocates really quick to take advantage of those buffs.

I need to get in some Zaal games for Mk3.

Indeed. It's awesome because usually your opponent would just nuke your immortals one unit at a time to deny the other getting vengance and souls. You could get around it with tricky placement, but that also meant your were confined in your movement and placement. Now, it doesn't matter. If I have Zaal2 and you kill 2 dudes, my two units of immortals are now fast and one has vengeance.

I don't think it's gonna make a huge difference, but it's a good thing nonetheless, especially since I just painted my zaal2.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
After all the advice I got last time I was here I snagged the two player box set. Thanks to everyone who replied, I can tell I'm gonna love this game. The rules are really solid and just flat out more fun than AoS. Ordering my Khador starter army tomorrow. Anyone had any experience ordering from Wayland games? seems like they ship fairly sharp, but there's a few horror stories about how orders took eight thousand years and then got cancelled and also they killed someones dog.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Careful with them. If it's "in stock", you usually get it pretty fast. Anything else, and you could be waiting a long time. Though to their credit, they refunded me pretty much as soon as they asked.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

King Doom posted:

killed someones dog.

Honestly, I'm a big proponent of ordering from your FLGS these days. IF it's not on the shelf go up and ask them to order it for you. You save the shipping charge and support where you play. A lot of stores have points systems that add up to 10% off [both stores in my area give you a $10 gift card when you make $100 of purchases]. Online retailers usually don't offer the super deals they used to be able to.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
I'd use a FLGS if we had one, unfortunately the part of England i'm in is basically Mordor if they turned off the volcano, so the closest one is about 45 minutes away by car (that I don't have). Anyone have any other recommendations for decent, cheap sites?

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
My FLGS has dropped prices considerably after the whole FreeRider thing. I think they got hit from the other side. They're having a lot of troubles getting a bunch of stuff in, as I think is industrywide right now.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
We have two stores, the one I regularly frequent gets hosed by alliance so many times I don't really understand how that company is still in business.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Mangler finally to roll and wreck fools.

I quite like the model, it was fun to put together even if looks old.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
The stores near me like to mark things up 10-25 percent while the online retailer usually marks them down similar amounts and ships any size for :10bux:. It's hard to justify flgs purchases beyond the occasional solo in my neck of the woods

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

gannyGrabber posted:

The stores near me like to mark things up 10-25 percent while the online retailer usually marks them down similar amounts and ships any size for :10bux:. It's hard to justify flgs purchases beyond the occasional solo in my neck of the woods

Mine was doing a nearly 200% markup on PP junk until the retailer policy came out. They were selling battleboxes for $80 USD. I didn't blink at bypassing them until they dropped their prices. Now they are comparable with DGI/Amazon on most things.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

We have two stores, the one I regularly frequent gets hosed by alliance so many times I don't really understand how that company is still in business.

Alliance is owned by Diamond aka the worst company in the history of man but the only distributor for comics

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Alliance is owned by Diamond aka the worst company in the history of man but the only distributor for comics

Edit: Never mind. Misread your post.

Also, more paint jobs posted please. I need to paint more Cygnar but am having a hard time motivating myself.

Excelsiortothemax fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 23, 2016

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Also, more paint jobs posted please. I need to paint more Cygnar but am having a hard time motivating myself.

Yeah ok

Painted up this lovely bunch of people in the past few days. Still need to base the ladies, obviously.

Does anyone have a guide on photographing miniatures? My paintjobs aren't fantastic, but even so I never feel like my photos do them justice.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
The miniatures painting thread has a little primer in the OP but the general rule of thumb is lots and lots of light at the same temperature (eg incandescent, fluorescent, direct sunlight). You can do perfectly alright with a modern smartphone camera, a piece of white poster board to make a backdrop, two desk lamps directly at the model and a third behind it to eliminate shadows. Another easy trick to make things in the photo look "right" is to then white balance the poster board in the background.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Building a poor man's light box will do a lot of good.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Finally bought Haley 3. So damned excited to user them :getin:

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

S.J. posted:

Finally bought Haley 3. So damned excited to user them :getin:

I played Haley 3 into Calandra last week and hitting Trolls on a 3+ makes Star Crossed seem like a fair and reasonable spell.

Past Haley landing chain blasts on a tightly packed Krielstone unit is pretty great too.

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I just started picking up Cygnar as my Warmachine faction and I, too, picked up Haley 3 recently. Her and Maddox. Can't quite figure out what to put with Haley3, but I think its mostly gonna be good stuff throw together that maybe kills other Warcasters pretty well and nothing else? I mostly just love the design behind the caster and wanted to play it. I'd be interested in knowing what works well with her.