Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Also, how bad is it to have too many diplomatic relations and see the diplomacy penalty? All our little vassals mean we permanently are near our cap. We will probably kill Novgorod soon, but not sure what to do with all of the provinces. We could try feeding them to Pvosk and then annexing them? Just not sure what the most cost effective way to conquer them is. Maybe we should just kill our one country vassal to free up the spot?

This seems good! Does it make it impossible to Westernize though? (I know nothing about this)

You generally don't want to be exceeding the Diplo cap, since those are points that can always been spent on Development, if nothing else. You can feed a few provinces to Pskov, but all the Russian culture provinces you might as well just take and core yourself. Same-culture, same-religion provinces are worth the cost. And taking a few off-culture provinces are fine, they'll be poor and cheap to core anyway.

Under no circumstances should you go through the full Westernization process as Muscovy. Just take Danzig instead, and westernize for free.

foutre posted:

Both smaller members of the Danish alliance sued for peace after we occupied them (and we learned the hard way that just because you seiged them etc., as a junior partner in the war that doesn't mean you'll necessarily get anything in the peace deal).

Frustrated by Sweden's stinginess, and fairly certain that the combined forces of Lithuania and Sweden could mop up the remnants of greater Denmark, we sued for peace.

That's silly, the point of fighting that war is to get a free and friendly Sweden, what could you possibly want from Denmark that would be of any value? (Having played Muscovy dozens of times, I know the answer, and it's nothing) By peacing out early you probably only angered Sweden, when you could have picked up some Trust for basically nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

PittTheElder posted:

That's silly, the point of fighting that war is to get a free and friendly Sweden, what could you possibly want from Denmark that would be of any value? (Having played Muscovy dozens of times, I know the answer, and it's nothing) By peacing out early you probably only angered Sweden, when you could have picked up some Trust for basically nothing.

Yeah it's becoming increasingly clear how bad of an idea that was...

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

To elaborate on why everyone is saying to westernise via Danzig, westernising the other way isn't a simple matter of just fulfilling the requirements of being 7 techs behind and having a western neighbour. Those are just the requirements to start the process which takes years, costs a lot of monarch points, and generates a bunch of lovely events and rebellions. Taking the decision on the other hand is instant and free once you have one of the requisite cities cored and free of separatism.

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
The pinnacle of masculitinity

Tendronai posted:

It's a penalty of one dip a month to be over the cap, so its not a big deal short term but you should probably eat the small vassals. Feeding the rest of Novogord to Pskov is a good idea, just be warned that if they go over 100 dev then they'll take a loyalty hit. Ideally you get them to somewhere close to that and take the rest yourself.

If you feed vassals through the vassal screen(or take provinces for yourself in in a peacedeal and then hand them over to a vassal), the relation boost they get is usually more than enough to offset the negative modifier for large vassals. You pay more AE that way but shouldnt be an issue with Muscowy who is surrounded by muslims and client states.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Dev diary for this week is up.

1. Merchant Republics in Trade Leagues can make special vassals. I've never played a Merchant Republic so...
  2. With a custom nation, you'll be able to pick your ruler's starting trait.
  3. Pause Westernisation is getting removed. Instead you can just increase development to help spread of Institutes. Could've sworn I'd seen this in a dev diary before.
  4. More random new world tiles. Apparently some of them are pretty big, continent size.

I'm still buying Rights of Man the day it comes out, provided I'm not drowning in work.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Butch Banner posted:

If you feed vassals through the vassal screen(or take provinces for yourself in in a peacedeal and then hand them over to a vassal), the relation boost they get is usually more than enough to offset the negative modifier for large vassals. You pay more AE that way but shouldnt be an issue with Muscowy who is surrounded by muslims and client states.

I completely forgot about the vassal screen, I think I opened it once to increase income from two with tiny armies, but haven't looked at it since. I'll have to investigate more.

Wafflecopper posted:

To elaborate on why everyone is saying to westernise via Danzig, westernising the other way isn't a simple matter of just fulfilling the requirements of being 7 techs behind and having a western neighbour. Those are just the requirements to start the process which takes years, costs a lot of monarch points, and generates a bunch of lovely events and rebellions. Taking the decision on the other hand is instant and free once you have one of the requisite cities cored and free of separatism.

PittTheElder posted:

You generally don't want to be exceeding the Diplo cap, since those are points that can always been spent on Development, if nothing else. You can feed a few provinces to Pskov, but all the Russian culture provinces you might as well just take and core yourself. Same-culture, same-religion provinces are worth the cost. And taking a few off-culture provinces are fine, they'll be poor and cheap to core anyway.

Under no circumstances should you go through the full Westernization process as Muscovy. Just take Danzig instead, and westernize for free.

Ok, thanks this is good to know. Definitely wasn't clear how arduous of a process it would be if we didn't opt for the Danzig route.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fusion Restaurant posted:

This seems good! Does it make it impossible to Westernize though? (I know nothing about this)

If you can't westernize because you're not far enough behind, then you don't need to westernize.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
note that all of this talk about westernization is going to be completely irrelevant when the next patch comes out

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PleasingFungus posted:

note that all of this talk about westernization is going to be completely irrelevant when the next patch comes out

It's hard to tell how much control you're going to have over your tech speed as a practical matter in the ROTW.

I wonder how frustrating it's going to be or how easily you'll be able to gain institutions if you focus on it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

lmao glad to see that feature is still a thing.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Fintilgin posted:

It's hard to tell how much control you're going to have over your tech speed as a practical matter in the ROTW.

I wonder how frustrating it's going to be or how easily you'll be able to gain institutions if you focus on it.

Institution spread from developing seems like it could be really helpful for that. In fact, it's the first thing that came to mind when I read that new feature.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
So I take it things like "X turns west" and Western Arms Trade are also disappearing?

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
The pinnacle of masculitinity

Jsor posted:

So I take it things like "X turns west" and Western Arms Trade are also disappearing?

Some of them will probably survive as bonuses to institution spread, to give some degree of player control. Really hope thats the case for impious muslims.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Bort Bortles posted:

lmao glad to see that feature is still a thing.

Yeah, that's a little exasperating. There's a better climate mod on the workshop though.

Really glad to see the RNW getting more love, though!

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, that's a little exasperating. There's a better climate mod on the workshop though.

Really glad to see the RNW getting more love, though!

Yeah, I was worried they might give up on it after the last tweaking still didn't make it good, but it's good to see they're keeping on with it. Hopefully this will be something they keep expanding on with each new patch.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

AnoHito posted:

Institution spread from developing seems like it could be really helpful for that. In fact, it's the first thing that came to mind when I read that new feature.

If institutions spread based on development, what stops China from dominating the world every game?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
From developing, not development.

It seems pretty expensive though (+5 out of 100 for developing a 30 dev province) but one of the devs used it to great effect during the stream and is still ahead on tech so I'm probably misunderstanding something. Maybe it's +5 per month rather than just a flat +5 boost?

I think most of the ROTW will actually get harder than it is right now, keeping up on the institutions is gonna be an expensive undertaking. Significantly more fun though, not having the tech penalty at the beginning is gonna make so much difference.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gort posted:

If institutions spread based on development, what stops China from dominating the world every game?

Institutions still only spread via borders and most of them can only start in Europe.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Koramei posted:

From developing, not development.

It seems pretty expensive though (+5 out of 100 for developing a 30 dev province) but one of the devs used it to great effect during the stream and is still ahead on tech so I'm probably misunderstanding something. Maybe it's +5 per month rather than just a flat +5 boost?

I think most of the ROTW will actually get harder than it is right now, keeping up on the institutions is gonna be an expensive undertaking. Significantly more fun though, not having the tech penalty at the beginning is gonna make so much difference.

Plus when you finally manage to get a border with a western nation it'll be a lot more fun just having the institutions spread into the country and gradually remove the tech penalty rather than having to go through the giant pain in the rear end that is westernizing.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
relevant to thread: it's weird reading about the history of portugese imperialism in india. they absolutely crushed almost every force that came up against them, in 1500, to a degree that even the most deranged eurocentric versions of eu3 wouldn't have been able to replicate until the 1600s at earliest. their artillery made them absolutely unbeatable at sea, and their armour made them very hard to beat on land. the sack of Mombasa (1505) resulted in "seven hundred" dead muslim warriors, and five dead Portuguese. it's reasonable to take the numbers given with a grain of salt, but they were pretty typical of their battles in the period

they were also astonishingly awful people

quote:

When four Portuguese sailors were induced to desert and convert to Islam with promises of great wealth, [the Portuguese] tracked them down, bound them hand and foot, and had them burned alive in their boat in front of the town. It was intended to be exemplary to all concerned.

quote:

Ayaz had to surrender all the Rumes [Islamic mercenaries] he was sheltering in the city to a variety of ghastly fates. The governor smoothly acquiesced. Some had their hands and feet chopped off and were burned alive in a great pyre; others were tied to the mouths of cannons and blasted to pieces or put shackled into captured vessels that were sunk by gunfire. Some were compelled to kill each other. The city gates were decorated with bloody rosaries of dismembered body parts...

quote:

"Our Lord has done great things for us, because he wanted us to accomplish a deed so magnificent that it surpasses even what we have prayed for… I have burned the town and killed everyone. For four days without any pause our men have slaughtered…wherever we have been able to get into we haven’t spared the life of a single Muslim. We have herded them into the mosques and set them on fire. I have ordered that neither the [Hindu] peasants nor the Brahmans should be killed. We have estimated the number of dead Muslim men and women at six thousand. It was, sire, a very fine deed."

Among those burned alive was one of the Portuguese renegades who had swum ashore during the siege in the Mandovi. “No one escaped,” wrote the Florentine merchant Piero Strozzi, “men, women, the pregnant, babes in arms.” The bodies of the dead were thrown to the crocodiles; “the destruction was so great,” remembered Empoli, “that the river was filled with blood and dead men, so that for a week afterwards the tides deposited the corpses on the banks.” Evidently the reptiles were unable to cope with the glut.

“Cleansed” was the word [Portuguese governor] Albuquerque used to describe this process to Manuel. It was intended to be exemplary. “This use of terror will bring great things to your obedience without the need to conquer them,” he went on. “I haven’t left a single grave stone or Islamic structure standing.”

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse

Mortuus posted:

Is anyone else having trouble downloading mods through the workshop? It seems like all my currently installed mods are updating just fine, but anything I've subscribed to in the last month or so isn't even downloading at all. I had a similar problem with HOIV and Stellaris, but I was able to solve the problem through checking off all the cloud sync options. It isn't working for EU though. I think the last time I had this problem for EU I was in the Steam beta and uninstalling the beta did the trick, but nothing is working this time.

Any ideas?

Just wanted to bump this.

I've since then tried deleting my mod folder and verifying the game files through Steam, and that downloaded all the mods that I had before, except it still will not download anything I've subscribed to in the last few months or so.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

they were also astonishingly awful people

Not so different from anyone in the imperialism business, BUT

It is kinda funny that they came up with a really goddamn brilliant (i.e. evil) idea when colonizing Brazil, which was to mingle heavily (i.e. have fucktons of kids) with the natives, learn Tupi and convert the kids to Catholicism. It is also loving astounding that a tiny and less populous nation like Portugal managed to colonize a loving massive territory like ours in such a relatively small frame of time.

Of course, they went around that by doing a shitload of bandeiras (exploring expeditions to survey the land and capture a tribe or two while on the way) and becoming the biggest trafficker of slaves from Africa. You think slavery was a thing in the US? Brazil alone got 38.5% of all the transatlantic slave trade. British North America got 6.45%.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Transmetropolitan posted:

It is kinda funny that they came up with a really goddamn brilliant (i.e. evil) idea when colonizing Brazil, which was to mingle heavily (i.e. have fucktons of kids) with the natives, learn Tupi and convert the kids to Catholicism. It is also loving astounding that a tiny and less populous nation like Portugal managed to colonize a loving massive territory like ours in such a relatively small frame of time.

Of course, they went around that by doing a shitload of bandeiras (exploring expeditions to survey the land and capture a tribe or two while on the way) and becoming the biggest trafficker of slaves from Africa. You think slavery was a thing in the US? Brazil alone got 38.5% of all the transatlantic slave trade. British North America got 6.45%.

IIRC part of that was the Portuguese working their slaves to death and only bringing men, so they weren't getting any Brazilian born slaves.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I just had current king had his 4th heir die

goddamn rng

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

I just had current king had his 4th heir die

goddamn rng

That's XCOM EU4, baby!

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Oops my game crashed

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

AnoHito posted:

Yeah, I was worried they might give up on it after the last tweaking still didn't make it good, but it's good to see they're keeping on with it. Hopefully this will be something they keep expanding on with each new patch.

I'm hoping they fix the bug where nations in the RNW will sometimes show with names like PROVINCE-Name, as well.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

also our main thing in India was that we barely had any soldiers so the best way to maintain our influence in the area was by being the biggest rear end in a top hat pirates that the indian and pacific ocean had ever seen so no one would mess with us.

ahhhh, memories :allears:

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
I'm playing as a south american tribe. Castile showed up next door and set up Castilian Maranhao next door to my capital. I have all native ideas finished. Castile has a core on the province next to my capital. According to the wiki, this should let me reform my government, but I don't have any option to do so. What am I missing?

EDIT: nevermind, I'm an idiot who just noticed the "natives" icon at the bottom of the screen down where the HRE thing is. In case anyone else had the same problem, the option to reform your government is in there.

The Little Kielbasa fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 25, 2016

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Got myself elected to holy roman emperor as France by taking the protestant vote, which made the electors promptly flip because I am catholic.

HRE is in religious war and I have a royal marriage with Bohemia (who leads the protestant league). In another game and in another time, that probably could be considered a massive diplomatic victory for everybody involved, peace won and nobody would have to get ganked, but I now I got to solve that mess and I have no idea how :downs:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Got myself elected to holy roman emperor as France by taking the protestant vote, which made the electors promptly flip because I am catholic.

HRE is in religious war and I have a royal marriage with Bohemia (who leads the protestant league). In another game and in another time, that probably could be considered a massive diplomatic victory for everybody involved, peace won and nobody would have to get ganked, but I now I got to solve that mess and I have no idea how :downs:

I dunno... Tough one. I'd try and lose the emperorship and join the protestant l
eague, but I like France be protestant. Depends what your goals are.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Is there still any interest in a deep-ish text + images tutorial for people who find the in-game tutorial inadequate but prefer to read information rather than watch youtubes?

Dreissi started one here but he appears to have died (RIP)

I might try one after Rights of Man drops, since I'll want to reboot my Ethiopia run to observe the Institution mechanics and extra Coptic bonuses

Ethiopia is pretty chill for the first half-century or so until you reach for Alexandria and bump into the Ottomans coming the other way

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
I'd be very interested

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Elotana posted:

Is there still any interest in a deep-ish text + images tutorial for people who find the in-game tutorial inadequate but prefer to read information rather than watch youtubes?

I might try one after Rights of Man drops, since I'll want to reboot my Ethiopia run to observe the Institution mechanics and extra Coptic bonuses

Ethiopia is pretty chill for the first half-century or so until you reach for Alexandria and bump into the Ottomans coming the other way
Based on the number of people that post in this thread asking for information on how to learn, yes that would probably be a great idea, and a non-LP video sounds great because though I personally dont need to re-learn how to play the game, I cant bother to watch LPs and I am sure that I am not the only one.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Elotana posted:

Yes please. Basically any tutorial, video or not, which covers all the new DLC mechanics would be great.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Elotana posted:

I would love to see this, especially a run outside of Europe.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
New dev diary up. Mostly just a list of miscellaneous fixes and fun stuff, like the Knights being able to slave raid :yarr:

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
Fancy yourself a great EU4 player or Game of Thrones tier diplomat? The MapGoons EU4 group is running a hardcore game for 8 to 12 players. Even if you think "surely a bunch of veteran players being super serious means I'll die fast" don't fret! Even one of our resident bad players has signed up! Take a look here and see if you can make the times, and I guarantee a web of intrigue beyond your wildest House of Cards fantasies: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773305&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post464519569

e: Also the winner gets a $50 steam gift card from me.

Lori fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 27, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

skasion posted:

New dev diary up. Mostly just a list of miscellaneous fixes and fun stuff, like the Knights being able to slave raid :yarr:

These changes are going to buff the hell out of Muscovy. Poland and Sweden no longer so likely to be lucky, no lost tax revenue from PA, easier to promote Tatar cultures to accepted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Lori posted:

Fancy yourself a great EU4 player or Game of Thrones tier diplomat? The MapGoons EU4 group is running a hardcore game for 8 to 12 players. Even if you think "surely a bunch of veteran players being super serious means I'll die fast" don't fret! Even one of our resident bad players has signed up! Take a look here and see if you can make the times, and I guarantee a web of intrigue beyond your wildest House of Cards fantasies: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773305&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post464519569

e: Also the winner gets a $50 steam gift card from me.

I would love to be in on this but for a Thursday this is way out of the wrong TZ for me (I'm Australian). Good luck with the game tho! (AARs appreciated :toot:)

• Locked thread