Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I got no difference in input lag when testing the SNES over the component cables and the 240p test suite manual test (compared to composite, that is). I also haven't noticed any additional lag in NFL Blitz on the 64 using them, and I'm pretty sensitive to lag in that game. I assume that will depend on the TV though, maybe some add lag over component that composite wouldn't have?

The thing you have to realize is the vast majority of people playing old consoles these days are using composite on an HDTV. Most people aren't dropping $350 on a framemeister so something that's 1/10 the cost that greatly improves image quality definitely fills a gap that was there before. Like, not everything has to either be "complete garbage" or "pixel-perfect".

wa27 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

RZA Encryption posted:

I bought a bunch of the GB ones, but now that I have both gb and gba everdrives I'm thinking I don't need them. Cases take up a lot of room. Great if you have the room, though.

Yeah, it works for me because deliberately keep my retro collection relatively small. Considering, yeah, emulation and flash carts are much more practical for just playing poo poo, I found myself only dedicating space to the stuff I really care about (for nostalgia, title I always wanted, a niche I find interesting, whatever). And because it's low quantity/high Care it allows me to fuss over the presentation, hence fancy cases, tracking down manuals, etc. It's shelf candy, but it's also about personal curation and preservation.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

TheRedEye posted:

I don't want to ruin anyone's fun but component video scaled through a modern TV still looks like artifact-filled garbage to me. You're cleaning up the source signal but you're still running that source through the wrong scaler, so you're getting a lot of artificial artifacts that shouldn't be there, and you're probably getting some pretty bad input lag too. I don't know if there are good solutions out there for this, but I actually think you'd be happier with plain old composite through a good scaler, it looks surprisingly good for what it is. I have had some pretty good results with a stock NES and a Framemeister.

I just started using these on a CRT and am very happy with them. But none of the pictures I've seen on Twitter of people using them on LCDs look what I would consider good. Better for sure, and good enough for some I guess, but still unacceptable to me. Really no short cuts around getting a scaler if you're playing in an HDTV.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

playing 240p content on a TV with a native resolution of 1920x1080 through a $50 cable would trigger me so hard. like if I went to somebody's house and saw that poo poo I'd come back here and post a 3 paragraph rufusesque rant about it, not even joking. I'm seriously jealous of anyone who can look past it, jealous of your healthy brain

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I play stuff through a $10 hdmi scaler that works decently well. Its good.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

d0s posted:

playing 240p content on a TV with a native resolution of 1920x1080 through a $50 cable would trigger me so hard. like if I went to somebody's house and saw that poo poo I'd come back here and post a 3 paragraph rufusesque rant about it, not even joking. I'm seriously jealous of anyone who can look past it, jealous of your healthy brain

Where is your three paragraph rant?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Man I'm just happy when people keep the right aspect ratio. Drives me nuts to see old games stretched.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

OSI bean dip posted:

You fail, you are not even using 16:9 aspect ratio!

e: ninja'd

I'm also that guy who makes these kinds of comments on Facebook gaming groups (where people who are not that well versed into retro gaming dwell):

"Use 4:3 aspect ratio if you have to use a modern TV"
"But do try to find a CRT if you can, it'll look so much better"
"Get a RGB Scart cable instead of composite"

And I consider it to be healthy advice to someone who necessarily won't know any better. Should I just let them do whatever they want?

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 21, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

OSI bean dip posted:

I'm scrawling it on my walls in feces/blood, I'll just upload pics when im done

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

d0s posted:

My rants are mostly comedic in nature and not entirely serious though. Also could you stop using my name in vain? I mean folks know and have said you are all Tsundere and poo poo for me, but I go for Misatos not Asukas. A woman whose idea of breakfast is cup ramen and beer? Alleyway fucks after barfing? NOW THAT'S A LADY!

But different people want different poo poo out of their Videogames and much like your average Audiophile most people aren't going to spend 100s if not 1000s of dollars to make their entertainment media players do things most people cannot tell the difference of anyhow. Especially not just to play some Mario or Pac Man.

(And just like audiophile stuff most of the times the difference is practically to actually nonexistent and it's just a way to snob out about your setup or get the Monster Cables of the world to laugh at ya behind your back while they count all the money they swindled you out of.)

Are there differences? Yeah but there are diminishing returns and for most poo poo like the time, effort, and money to Framemeister or PVM isn't remotely worth it. YMMV. It's not a competition and only dummies should care if their setup is more badass than the next person's. It's the videogame equivalent of Prada and Rolex.

Vvvv What are you an Asuka fan? Shameful! Vvvvvv

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 22, 2016

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Captain Rufus posted:

I mean folks know and have said you are all Tsundere and poo poo for me, but I go for Misatos not Asukas. A woman whose idea of breakfast is cup ramen and beer? Alleyway fucks after barfing? NOW THAT'S A LADY!

goddamn it, dude, I legit like you for your genuine enthusiasm and earnest point of view, but come on

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

this is getting weird(er)

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
So guys how about videogames, huh

I for one like them

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Video game chat: I found a white PS2 slim at the thrift store today, with white controller. 20 bucks!

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Oh hey, games.

I'm nearing the end of Dragon Quest 4 DS after chipping away at it the past few months. As much as I wish I played the NES version back in the day, the AI-controlled allies in that version always put me off of trying it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I really need to play Dragon Quest/Warrior games past 1. I remember when 3 and 4 launched, they seemed like massive, enormous games for the time, based on reviews/teasers from Nintendo Power.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

mikeycp posted:

I play stuff through a $10 hdmi scaler that works decently well. Its good.

That's kind of what I was getting at. If you're playing on an HDTV, I'll bet you composite through a scaler is going to give you better results than buying special component cables for your snes. If you're happy then good for you I guess, but I legitimately think you're misinformed and going about this the wrong way.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Captain Rufus posted:

Vvvv What are you an Asuka fan? Shameful! Vvvvvv

Neon Genesis Evangelion correctly predicted one thing: in the year 2015, only depressed, isolated people would play the Sega Saturn.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Don't edit in replies to newer posts into your older posts

No one is gonna see them

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
The worst part about Rufus posts is that subsequent to them white noise posters swarm on the thread to post lame burns instead of just ignoring it.

Unfortunately I am no better.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

If there is some cheap composite scaler that will clean up the image so well that I can see the dithering in Genesis games, someone please post it. I still have several consoles that I'm stuck using composite with.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

shyduck posted:

Video game chat: I found a white PS2 slim at the thrift store today, with white controller. 20 bucks!

drat, that's a cold rear end honky.

(I got almost the exact same deal a year ago, but mine was silver. They had two, and I should've grabbed the second one).

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

wa27 posted:

If there is some cheap composite scaler that will clean up the image so well that I can see the dithering in Genesis games, someone please post it. I still have several consoles that I'm stuck using composite with.

Well, no scaler is going to make the source material better, but I'd also encourage people to post about their experience with cheaper scalers. I think most of us who talk about scalers are the hardcore types who want the best, but I'm guessing there's quite a few reasonable options out there that scale 240p way better than modern TVs do.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Just remember: the best setup is the one that gets people playing games!

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Phantasium posted:

Man I'm just happy when people keep the right aspect ratio. Drives me nuts to see old games stretched.

You like old games stretched, you say? Then you can come over and play some Pop'n Twin Bee on my TV!

You'll have to bring a copy of Pop'n Twin Bee, though, because I can't find mine at the moment.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Selling some of my stuff in SA-Mart. Good stuff, not just the scrapings from my storage bin!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791392

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Can anyone recommend a good turbo controller for the PS1? Or any cool alternative controllers, for the sake of discussion. I enjoy buying weird peripherals that I never got a chance to use back in the day, like my sweet one-handed Ascii Grip!

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I was always partial to the look of that weird Namco controller that came with Ridge Racer 4. No idea if it was good though.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

dishwasherlove posted:

I was always partial to the look of that weird Namco controller that came with Ridge Racer 4. No idea if it was good though.

The Jogcon! I loved R4 but only played it as a rental so never got to try the controller.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Jogcon was dumb, long live the Negcon.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Kid Fenris posted:

Neon Genesis Evangelion correctly predicted one thing: in the year 2015, only depressed, isolated people would play the Sega Saturn.

Only depressed Saturn owners are the ones that want any of the good games in English that didn't buy them back in the day. Also see Turbografx people. (Why Sega can't just rerelease some of their stuff in an emulator wrapper instead of the usual Japanese excuse of DUUR WE LOST THE SOURCE CODE IN A FIRE which seems to be how they lose everything. Maybe all those Super Sentai things are right and the Monster of the Week battles just keep destroying their enormous warehouse districts?)

Why it is in our modern age that Saturn Bomberman becomes actually viable with our giant fuckoff screens! And I would not wish to live in a world where Saturn Bomberman isn't viable.

And c'mon Kthulhu5k. You aren't doing this to replace car parts. It's so you can build your own fortress of PVMs. Don't lie to us like that! :v

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 22, 2016

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Phantasium posted:

The Negcon is one of my all-time favorite controllers. It's very responsive, easy to use and it's well constructed.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

TheRedEye posted:

That's kind of what I was getting at. If you're playing on an HDTV, I'll bet you composite through a scaler is going to give you better results than buying special component cables for your snes. If you're happy then good for you I guess, but I legitimately think you're misinformed and going about this the wrong way.

It's actually better than you would expect it to be! Especially for the price (which has, unfortunately, doubled). Is it as good as a framemeister? No, but is it a good good enough, even just as a stopgap? Probably.

wa27 posted:

Check it. I use it somewhat regularly. It does the job. I haven't noticed much input lag at all. They have component ones too. Only thing I can't find is one that'll do s-video.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008S7EYW2

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I have a small HDTV I got from the thrift store for 50 bucks and it handles the SNES and N64 signals well. Doesn't look any worse than a CRT to me, possibly because there's minimal tech fuckery being done to the signal. Alternately, I may be Mr. Magoo.

I do need to get an actul quality S-video cable for those systems, though, if I ever track down a source for cheap third party ones that aren't just composite going through a different plug. Any leads?

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Discount Viscount posted:

I have a small HDTV I got from the thrift store for 50 bucks and it handles the SNES and N64 signals well. Doesn't look any worse than a CRT to me, possibly because there's minimal tech fuckery being done to the signal. Alternately, I may be Mr. Magoo.

I do need to get an actul quality S-video cable for those systems, though, if I ever track down a source for cheap third party ones that aren't just composite going through a different plug. Any leads?

This S-video cable is properly wired and shielded, and I've seen nothing but good reviews: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131782319627?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Phantasium posted:

I always wanted to try one, but I never saw any around. This generation of consoles doesn't feel right without a Ridge Racer at launch, come to think of it..

Also, poscon my negcon.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

mikeycp posted:

Check it. I use it somewhat regularly. It does the job. I haven't noticed much input lag at all. They have component ones too. Only thing I can't find is one that'll do s-video.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008S7EYW2
Cool, thanks. Does it maintain aspect ratio?

I'll have to think about it because I currently use a component switchbox that works with both composite and component (my tv has shared inputs and auto-detects the signal). I'll probably need to get another switchbox for this, unless I could split the output of the switchbox to go to the TV and scaler at the same time.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

I always wanted to try one, but I never saw any around. This generation of consoles doesn't feel right without a Ridge Racer at launch, come to think of it..

Also, poscon my negcon.

I wonder if there's ever going to be another good RR game again, last one was 7 on PS3 and that was a barely-updated remake of 6 with worse music. I seriously think the RIIIIDGE RAAAACER meme killed that series, e: SonyNamco probably thought people were making GBS threads on the game itself and not the idiotic way it was announced

d0s fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 22, 2016

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

wa27 posted:

Cool, thanks. Does it maintain aspect ratio?

I'll have to think about it because I currently use a component switchbox that works with both composite and component (my tv has shared inputs and auto-detects the signal). I'll probably need to get another switchbox for this, unless I could split the output of the switchbox to go to the TV and scaler at the same time.

From what I'm seeing in the reviews it looks like it depends on the system/video output, but you can always force your TV into 4:3 in the settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

d0s posted:

I wonder if there's ever going to be another good RR game again, last one was 7 on PS3 and that was a barely-updaded remake of 6 with worse music. I seriously think the RIIIIDGE RAAAACER meme killed that series, Sony probably thought people were making GBS threads on the game itself and not the idiotic way it was announced

If that's the case, they clearly only need to announce Rage Racer 2.

• Locked thread