Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Radical posted:

you know what hero went from being in every game to no games at all? shifu

:rip:

Old people need to take breaks more often than the younglings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

I think lucie is very situational, and is mostly strong against enemies that have to "commit" to their attacks, and have a difficult time switching targets after doing so.

Right now, I'd say that's bakko, freya, and maybe rook. I haven't played as/against enough rooks to tell how a good rook is played.

Rafza posted:

i'll put together some stuff on a google doc and add you and luna and anyone else interested in helping on it then (got nothing to do at work today)

we can then put text to video and get footage, upload it, etc

Ninja edit: also, I'm up for helping w/ this.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i have a lot of items for this strange, tiny woman and they're all very good.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Radical posted:

i have a lot of items for this strange, tiny woman and they're all very good.

ahhhh, thats the set i want!

I have a great set for Ashka though.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to point out that Granny's gun has "Bakko <3" on it in that set Radical is showing off.

She also has a voice line of "That Bakko feller sure is handsome."

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Unfunny Poster posted:

I want to point out that Granny's gun has "Bakko <3" on it in that set Radical is showing off.

She also has a voice line of "That Bakko feller sure is handsome."

I'm glad that some of the characters are so cheesy.

Speaking of characters, I need an avatar of bakko, poloma, or lucie. Need some fanart posts.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Bakko's lines are my favorite. He's just so into being a hero.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Also an idea I had for introducing the heroes at the beginning of the guides would be using their blc name as a title, similar to the DotA 2 naming style, I.e. Rook, the Glutton of the East or something like that.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love some of these people in this game.

quote:

Team Chat
Croak: Guys what the gently caress? where are my heals?
Me (Jade): Um....
Croak: gunchick heal me!
Croak: ffs uninstall this game you stupid faggots

Our team was Croak, Jade, & Bakko. Nobody could really do any consistent healing at all and this dude was freaking out about not getting heals.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Re Lucie chat, as someone who played alchemist a bit in BLC Lucie feels much harder to keep alive, part of that might be alchemist having movement speed on shield innately instead of on a bloodrite. Also is it just me or does her ultimate feel much weaker then the BLC version, its smaller and doesn't trap people nearly as much. Its sad because other characters like Pomp actually got easier to play in the transition, with her swap moving to an EX giving her an actual jump to help get her out of trouble.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Ults across the board seem weaker to be honest, but that might just be the specific characters I played in blc - no one has metal warden's bullshit gravity squeeze or Thorn's insane cc ult. But yeah I'm less scared of Alchemist goop than I was years ago

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Yeah, feels like ults are less impactful but there's more energy.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Croak is just dumb right now. I play other heroes and go about equivalent MMR, and then Ill jump on Croak when I want to gain 100-200 in a session.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Jade, Shifu, Bakko, Ashka, and Freya all have very good ults in my opinion.

I don't play Freya or Jade, but I will say that, at least to me, Shifu and Bakko's ults are so good I find it difficult to justify using energy on R or ex moves in most cases.

I play a bit of Lucie, Poloma, and Oldur, and their ex moves are so good that using an ult on them feels like such a waste.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

One thing that feels bad to me is some characters turn speed while channeling has been severely nerfed. In particular Iva - her turn speed during tractor beam or machine gun is just abysmal. Machine gun does the most damage of any ultimate if you hit with every bullet, but good loving luck with that. They can usually run faster than you can turn.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Megasabin posted:

Croak is just dumb right now. I play other heroes and go about equivalent MMR, and then Ill jump on Croak when I want to gain 100-200 in a session.

Is Croak dumb, or have people just failed to answer him properly? Is he dominating high level games? These aren't rhetorical, I have no idea, but the character has all the makings of a new Thorn, where he stomps on bad people and uncoordinated groups but is much less dominant in coordinated play. At the very least he's clearly a strong solo ladder character since he has the tools to carry.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I don't think Croak is overpowered but you really really can't 1v1 him thanks to Toxin Blades, and he has plenty of mobility between Frog Leap and the dash to make up for any escapes that his opponent will be using.

burger time posted:

One thing that feels bad to me is some characters turn speed while channeling has been severely nerfed. In particular Iva - her turn speed during tractor beam or machine gun is just abysmal. Machine gun does the most damage of any ultimate if you hit with every bullet, but good loving luck with that. They can usually run faster than you can turn.

You can turn faster than that, the real problem is the travel time on the bullets. The slow turnspeed is more apparent for Sirius's laser and Iva's tractor beam.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Ruzihm posted:

Jade, Shifu, Bakko, Ashka, and Freya all have very good ults in my opinion.

I don't play Freya or Jade, but I will say that, at least to me, Shifu and Bakko's ults are so good I find it difficult to justify using energy on R or ex moves in most cases.

I play a bit of Lucie, Poloma, and Oldur, and their ex moves are so good that using an ult on them feels like such a waste.

Heck if you pick the battlerite that upgrades it Poloma's R basically becomes Psychopomp's ultimate from blc. The only difference is Poloma can't spam double heals on herself the way pomp could.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
yeah turn speed on ashkas flamebolts feels okay

i don't think croak is overpowered, and i say this having gotten royally wrecked last night by several, i think he just needs good coordination to solid counter

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Vorpal Cat posted:

Heck if you pick the battlerite that upgrades it Poloma's R basically becomes Psychopomp's ultimate from blc. The only difference is Poloma can't spam double heals on herself the way pomp could.

Yeah, that's good, i get that every time. So much damage all of a sudden...

Wait a sec can pixie heal poloma? I never thought to try that.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

croak's abilities feel like he already has battlerites on them when the match starts and then he gets more battlerites on top of that.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Turn speed on Ashka firestorm and jade ult feel fine. But some like tractor beam are just terrible...

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

burger time posted:

Turn speed on Ashka firestorm and jade ult feel fine. But some like tractor beam are just terrible...

jade ult turn speed is actually kind of nuts

i have seen multiple jades do full 180 turns in between shots which...yikes

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Rafza posted:

jade ult turn speed is actually kind of nuts

i have seen multiple jades do full 180 turns in between shots which...yikes

It gets really silly if someone dies mid ult, that slow down lets you whip around and hit someone without even trying.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

So which heroes are just ports from BLC?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Lucie, Jade, Ashka, Bakko, Shifu, Iva, and Croak are probably the most true ports, with the rest being inspired to some degree or competently new (really just Pearl so far)

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

I've been having the most trouble with Freya, I think. I've mostly been playing Ashka in 3v3 and once she gets on top of me I don't know what to do? It's the builds that prioritize the shields when her counter works or from her thunderclap that I can never seem to get through.

The Battlerite system seems really great, I'm enjoying it a lot. It seems like for most of the heroes I've played there have been at least a couple of viable options depending on your/the enemy comp.

Oh, has anyone had any keybind weirdness? I'm an ESDF player and I can rebind the movement keys just fine, but when I try to switch the ability keys they automatically become "A3" like there's a key on my keyboard held down all the time? A small annoyance, but an annoyance.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

MerrMan posted:

I've been having the most trouble with Freya, I think. I've mostly been playing Ashka in 3v3 and once she gets on top of me I don't know what to do? It's the builds that prioritize the shields when her counter works or from her thunderclap that I can never seem to get through.

get the molten fist upgrades, both the 30% knockback/stun into wall and the cd reset

focus on applying ignite, kiting, and keeping ignite running with your LMB. time your attacks so you don't trigger counter and always have an evasive cooldown ready for her ult (super telegraphed, just space bar or molten fist out of it).

if you have the extra meter, the ex spacebar will get you out of jail and also let you kite + heal off attacks, so that's an option, but mainly you want to ktie kite kite. if you can stun her into a wall, do so and combo it into another stun + ignite combo

e: also don't forget that your RMB attack knocks back each hit, so if she's just charging you after using her leap, feel free to hit her with it; it'll buy you some time and apply ignite

e2: also also play around the health orbs and meter orbs; if you time it right you can get them for an advantage

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 22, 2016

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
From watching some grade 14 people stream (Hafu, Teldoo, Randler) there seems to be an agreement among the good players that Poloma/Pomp is too powerful. Overpowered probably, as in "if there's a tournament right now, you need to pick Poloma to get far and everybody will do so". It's a combination of her heals not having a cooldown, otherside and fear being ridiculously powerful, and her numbers in general being a bit too high (the Poloma very often hadhighest damage, protection and cc at the same time in those games I've watched). Croak is certainy very good, but not as ridiculous as her.

quote:

Agree with Lucie and Poloma, but I'm kinda surprised about you mentioning Oldur. I thought his ex-LMB was extremely underwelming (only 2 more damage than his E and no only a very tiny knockback) and while chronoflux is awesome, it sharing cooldown with time bender (his best skill) makes it very situational in my experience.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Rafza posted:

e2: also also play around the health orbs and meter orbs; if you time it right you can get them for an advantage

I want to emphasize this heavily. suppose ashka and freya are dueling (in melee or near-melee) when pickup orbs spawn in at least two different places. Both champs happen to have their main movement ability available. There are really 2 options here for each person.

1. Ignore the orbs and continue fighting until the opponent makes a move for the orbs. At that point you can choose to chase after or grab the other set of orbs.
2. Use your movement ability to go for the orbs first, and provide a choice for your opponent to go for the other spawn, or to chase you.

If you are majorly melee, if you chose 2, you must stop outputting your main source of damage to do so, and your opponent may not be forced to use their mobilitiy in order to continue damaging you. An incapacitate or petrify before disengaging is a spectacular way to work around this limitation if you really need the pickups.

If you are ranged on the other hand, choosing 2 does not necessarily prevent you from damaging your enemy, AND requires that the enemy use their movement ability to keep chase if they also want to deal damage. An incapacitate or petrify once your opponent chases (so that you can re-establish distance) or starts going for the other orbs (so you could perhaps grab those as well) is a strong play.

If you are ranged, it can be advantageous for you to draw the fight away from the pickups (but still keep them in attack range/line of sight), then maneuver to grab them while suppressing the enemy's approach to where they are going. Melee champs will typically prefer fights being on top of the pickups when they are about to spawn so that they can retrieve them and quickly return to doing their damage.

And of course, everyone likes to keep the center breakable orb within attackable range.

If you have moves that reposition heroes, this sort of stuff can be useful to keep in mind. Obviously this minor stuff won't carry a game, but hopefully it helps.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Walh Hara posted:

Agree with Lucie and Poloma, but I'm kinda surprised about you mentioning Oldur. I thought his ex-LMB was extremely underwelming (only 2 more damage than his E and no only a very tiny knockback) and while chronoflux is awesome, it sharing cooldown with time bender (his best skill) makes it very situational in my experience.

I said ex moves but I meant all energy using moves. his R is god tier.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Sometimes the center orb is a different color. Does this affect the benefits it gives? What exactly do the orbs give?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Polygon has a question for you guys:

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

NmareBfly posted:

Polygon has a question for you guys:

god i hope so, its a fun game that deserves success imo

unless we're focusing on the word moba which that debate is silly

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Rafza posted:

unless we're focusing on the word moba which that debate is silly

I think the less silly debate is whether mistakenly referring to it as a MOBA is detrimental to getting people to pick it up. My gut says it is, if I hadn't played BLC I probably would've mentally thrown Battlerite into the garbage as soon as I saw someone describe it as one. To me it feels like there's two kinds of people, those who already play a MOBA and don't need a new one, and people who wouldn't touch one no matter what. Maybe I'm wrong though and a lot of dotelikers are champing at the bit for a new spin on dotes.

EDIT: Hell, this godawful article from the exemplars at Kotaku just drops the M-bomb and doesn't even mention the lack of creeps, leveling, items or hour-long matches. Then again, it doesn't mention much of anything so it probably wouldn't have been a great sell even if it didn't say "MOBA" and drop the mic.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 22, 2016

abardam
Mar 1, 2015
Rook: how do I not die as him, after running in and blowing my counter? I keep getting ripped to shreds with no way to disengage, really.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just call it a team brawler and stich with it until people just accept that's what it is.

I've been telling my friends its closer to World of Tanks/Warships than Dota or League, which I feel is a better comparison.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Doesn't feel at all like World of Tanks to me, but that might be because I was absolute garbage at World of Tanks. BLC/BR is its own beast, like a team-based twin stick shooter merged with a fighting game. If there was justice in the world we'd have a term for it due to it being wildly successful and copied by a bunch of studios.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

abardam posted:

Rook: how do I not die as him, after running in and blowing my counter? I keep getting ripped to shreds with no way to disengage, really.

don't run in with his charge attack

wait for the enemy to screw up the footsie game or find a good engage point and make sure your partner is 100% in with you when you do it because if you charge in solo, with no support or backup, you'll get blown up. if you do charge in try to get in the face of whoever has the greatest amount of CC because if you leave, say, ashka alone, he's gonna petrify/knockback your support and blow you up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

abardam posted:

You pick a different hero

• Locked thread