Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Kill your dogs, Lewis.

quote:

Vets warn people against buying 'flat-faced' dogs

The British Veterinary Association said the surge in popularity of these dogs had "increased animal suffering".

Sean Wensley, president of the British Veterinary Association (BVA), said: "Prospective owners need to consider that these dogs can suffer from a range of health problems, from eye ulcers to severe breathing difficulties.

"We strongly encourage people to choose a healthier breed or a crossbreed instead."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37423040

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

wicka posted:

On my flight back from Singapore, there was a six-hour stopover in Dubai. This is fine. The Emirates lounges in Dubai are exceptional, although they do not compare to the Turkish Airlines lounge in Istanbul, which is amazing. The only problem in Istanbul is that you might end up with someone blowing the place up when you are sipping your Chardonnay…
I wondered why Sniff Petrol hadn't had an F1 report from Trentham Sleaves recently. Turns out he's no longer necessary, as his inspiration is now beyond parody.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Payndz posted:

I wondered why Sniff Petrol hadn't had an F1 report from Trentham Sleaves recently. Turns out he's no longer necessary, as his inspiration is now beyond parody.

i can't remember who but someone once called him joe "my uncle works for nintendo" saward

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

wicka posted:

i can't remember who but someone once called him joe "my uncle works for nintendo" saward

eh-eh heh heh

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
McLaren and Apple met to compare factory suicide nets.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
https://twitter.com/MSM_Christian/status/704717248460668929

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Fumble posted:

McLaren and Apple met to compare factory suicide nets.

:vince:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
So that's what? One week Bernie lasted? I for one welcome our new overlord, Greg.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/liberty-boss-says-gambling-could-boost-f1-s-future-income-829177/

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Thinking about it, the funniest part of this is that Brundle has been saying stuff like "Bernie will be hard to replace" "this empire that bernie has built up" and so on, only for the Americans to turn round and go "is this it? is this all there is? 17 sponsors for a global sport? Only 21 races? No gambling deals, no online deals? What a gosh darn amateur"

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

learnincurve posted:

Thinking about it, the funniest part of this is that Brundle has been saying stuff like "Bernie will be hard to replace" "this empire that bernie has built up" and so on, only for the Americans to turn round and go "is this it? is this all there is? 17 sponsors for a global sport? Only 21 races? No gambling deals, no online deals? What a gosh darn amateur"

We don't gently caress around, let us show you how to really do your sport. :c00lbert::911:

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

learnincurve posted:

So that's what? One week Bernie lasted? I for one welcome our new overlord, Greg.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/liberty-boss-says-gambling-could-boost-f1-s-future-income-829177/

That sounds like they're saying "Hey we could grow revenue by allowing people to give us money to watch the sport!" Which sounds obvious but was a concept way beyond Bernie/the CVC's grasp. I'm cautiously optimistic. It sounds like we've replaced a group of old, greedy, immoral white men with a slightly younger group of greedy, immoral white men who understand the internet is a good way to broadcast poo poo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They'll gently caress it up in two years.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Maffei hinted that the current calendar could be expanded beyond 21 events, but also suggested that "more attractive" venues may be chosen in the future to better compliment the needs of broadcasters and sponsors.

this is potentially concerning

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They also seem to understand that that racing in countries with sanctions against them for human rights abuses, or where half of your potential audience are not allowed to drive, might be bad publicity, no?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

wicka posted:

this is potentially concerning

I think it's a dig at Russia.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
21 Grands Prix is too many already.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It'll be cool when F1 gets registered as a nonprofit.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

quote:

"I think there's an opportunity to grow that broadcast stream. Much of it comes from moving potentially from free-to-air to competitive pay services, that's for example what happened in the UK, when BSkyB recently bought the rights."

Don't have cable? gently caress you.

Also:

quote:

Something that intersects all of these is less than 1 percent of the revenues are from digital, they really have no organised digital effort. I think there are lot of things that can be done around gaming, VR [Virtual Reality] and AR [Augmented Reality].
No mention of streaming or on-demand?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

They also seem to understand that that racing in countries with sanctions against them for human rights abuses, or where half of your potential audience are not allowed to drive, might be bad publicity, no?

Yeah my first thought is that races in like Baku and Bahrain will disappear when Bernie does because I doubt the American dudes will come out and start poo poo talking democracy or something.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

He mentions Miami as a possible race destination. loving Long Beach Grand Prix do it. The mention of gaming makes me wonder as well if they'd be more relaxed about licensing out the F1 brand to other games as well as having the official game.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Why aren't there any races in Saudi Arabia or Qatar? Major untapped markets there

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

njsykora posted:

He mentions Miami as a possible race destination. loving Long Beach Grand Prix do it.

Las Vegas too. Caeser's parking lot GP ahoy!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Alain Post posted:

Only because teams can't afford to run several sets of equipment and set up crews. If you look at the big stadium bands they have at least 3 different full stage set ups. While the band is playing on one stage, the last one they were at is being taken down and the next one is being set up. Only gear that travels with the band is the favourite guitars. There is also some sort of logic to the tour and they don't bounce from continent to continent. Drivers can whine about having to actually work for their money all they like. It's the pit crew and logistics teams that have the nightmare situation of too many races not enough man hours right now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Funzo posted:

He mentions direct to consumer video, whether that manifests as an actual online subscription service like WEC or MotoGP (both series' with pay TV deals so that isn't an insurmountable obstacle) or just a more relaxed attitude to posting race highlights on social media I don't know.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Funzo posted:

Don't have cable? gently caress you.

Also:

It's so loving short sighted. How do they expect to draw in new fans to drive their sponsorship revenue up of all the races are on a special cable channel that only big fans are going to shell out for in the first place?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Finally my obsessive watching of all the backstage shenanigans is paying off and I know this one.

The only people with any video/DVD/blu ray rights are the FIA who have the right to release a yearly season review.

That's it.

Seriously.

I'm not joking.

Ferarri are not even allowed to release F1 DVDs.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

y'all mericans gonna be singing a different tune when that rear end in a top hat announces a Fox Sports 2 exclusive agreement

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

PS Vue has Fox Sports 2. Problem solved. :c00lbutt:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Basticle posted:

y'all mericans gonna be singing a different tune when that rear end in a top hat announces a Fox Sports 2 exclusive agreement

I guess I'll just keep watching an illegal Sky stream so who cares?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

16-17 would be ideal. I do realize there are more venues that would be interested so perhaps one of the rounds could "rotating" like the European GP but on a global scale.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

It's so loving short sighted. How do they expect to draw in new fans to drive their sponsorship revenue up of all the races are on a special cable channel that only big fans are going to shell out for in the first place?

TV rights money pays more than sponsorship, for one. and sponsors will be considering the amount of exposure they get on a global scale, not just in the UK. the couple hundred thousand TV viewers you lose by going from the BBC to sky isn't particularly relevant. and they're americans, so the concept of "we have to put this on free to air TV so everyone can watch it" simply doesn't exist in their heads. cable is the norm here.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I can see a new all motor racing channel in America's future.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I'm optimistic about the Liberty Media takeover because it can't possibly get any worse than it already is for American fans.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

learnincurve posted:

I can see a new all motor racing channel in America's future.

Right now, US Channels and what they carry:
Fox: First half of NASCAR, NHRA, IMSA, and WEC
NBC: Second half of NASCAR, F1, most of Indy, and Red Bull Rallycross
ABC: Selected Indy races (St Pete, both Indy GP and 500, and Belle Isle)
CBS: PWC (could be wrong), Trans Am.

Note that pretty much every race is on that network's specific sports channel, ABC and big NASCAR races not withstanding.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

At some point the penny is going to drop and it's going to be more lucrative to sell the TV rights at a lesser value and retain the rights to a streaming service ala MLBtv, the issue is whether they actually realise that its the way forward.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I don't have cable at all and I'll keep files-ing until there is a reasonable way to watch it in the US without stupid loving commercial interruption.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
An article explaining why Apple might be interested in buying McLaren

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a22986/apple-isnt-keen-on-mclaren-for-its-supercars/

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

At some point the penny is going to drop and it's going to be more lucrative to sell the TV rights at a lesser value and retain the rights to a streaming service ala MLBtv, the issue is whether they actually realise that its the way forward.

This is the question, I can't imagine there's a single person who's subscribing to Sky Sports (the cheapest option for this is £47 a month) just for F1. People who do probably would want to listen to Sky's commentators (god knows why) over whoever FOM would get in to do the streaming feed commentary, if they got anyone at all.

Also, 3 years ago.
https://twitter.com/F1/status/779043108377866240

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

njsykora posted:

This is the question, I can't imagine there's a single person who's subscribing to Sky Sports (the cheapest option for this is £47 a month) just for F1. People who do probably would want to listen to Sky's commentators (god knows why) over whoever FOM would get in to do the streaming feed commentary, if they got anyone at all.

Also, 3 years ago.

lol what the hell he looks like an 8 year old there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

njsykora posted:

Also, 3 years ago.

:frogdowns: at age 6.

• Locked thread