Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The wildest thing about kou being a hapless rookie is when you realize he's the same age as Amuro and by all rights would have been conscripted into the OYW like all the other teenagers in the earth sphere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The Char Aznable of posting

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Droyer posted:

loving lmao good goof

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
One does not care to acknowledge the spam posts of his own youth.

Sadly not every can be a noble war hero, and Kou is the dude peeling the potatos and burning the contents of the latrine with the occasional accidental collabaration.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

lol

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SeanBeansShako posted:

One does not care to acknowledge the spam posts of his own youth.

Sadly not every can be a noble war hero, and Kou is the dude peeling the potatos and burning the contents of the latrine with the occasional accidental collabaration.

I actually think 0083 is really neat from a certain perspective simply because it's a good example of what would happen if the person who fell into the protagonist robot didn't have super special magic protagonist powers. Kou is an exceptional pilot by the normal standards of the Federation military, but he's not a newtype or a super ace, so he pretty consistently falls short of what is required and it's not really his fault because what is required is superhuman. It's interesting in the same way that it's sort of interesting to imagine what would happen if a merely good pilot like Job John or Sleggar had fallen into the RX-78 instead of Budding Newtype Ubermensch Amuro.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

At least Job John would admit he's man enough to know what he's doing and not help a Zeon ace rebuild a death machine.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Job would (hopefully) not date someone like nina.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SeanBeansShako posted:

At least Job John would admit he's man enough to know what he's doing and not help a Zeon ace rebuild a death machine.

Monaghan posted:

Job would (hopefully) not date someone like nina.

Yeah, "naive kid" is one thing, but Kou is so painfully naive to the point of stupidity in every single aspect of his life. I don't know if he was homeschooled, or if he was on the spectrum, but there was something going on there.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Developmental problems from running out of the room crying instead of eating his vegetables.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Still better than Monsha. Imagine if Monsha was the main character.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

I would say "A Guy Gardner solo run", but at least Guy knows when stop being a colossal rear end in a top hat and act like a decent person. Monsha does not.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SeanBeansShako posted:

Slightly better combat performance than Kou, followed by a court marshal and summary execution for multiple cases of sexual assault.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Slightly better combat performance than Kou, followed by a court marshal and summary execution for multiple cases of sexual assault.

Emphasis on the word multiple and a shitload of drunken battery cases too.

A fun weird what if manga suggestion, Monsha dying earlier and Char somehow taking over his identity.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wouldn't work, burning would see through his disguise in a moment. "Wait a minute... monsha never wore shades! He is a char!"

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Wouldn't work, burning would see through his disguise in a moment. "Wait a minute... monsha never wore shades! He is a char!"

They wouldn't need visual confirmation, the lack of cheap bourban stank before getting into the close proximity of a person would be a siren to anyone. Poor Monchar.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't know if he was homeschooled, or if he was on the spectrum, but there was something going on there.

It's called "bad writing."

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

It would have been a better series

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Droyer posted:

Nice.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Arcsquad12 posted:

Monsha starts off more competent than Kou but pretty quickly degenerates into a bumbling incompetent in combat in the back half of the series, usually shown shooting at someone before his suit loses a limb or something and he yells about how the enemy is breaking through.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Okay, the two parter Cecilia the Crybaby episodes are like classic Zeta episodes stuck in the middle of ZZ. I hope this is the trend back towards serious plot lines.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

brainwrinkle posted:

Okay, the two parter Cecilia the Crybaby episodes are like classic Zeta episodes stuck in the middle of ZZ. I hope this is the trend back towards serious plot lines.

It is. That is precisely where poo poo starts to get real. ZZ is a coming-of-age story by Yoshiyuki 'adults are the enemy' Tomino, and that meant that the Shangri-La kids' carefree childhood was only going to last so long.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Good. It's not Gundam if the protagonist doesn't experience the horrors of war.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Question about Ideon! Not Gundam but hey it's Tomino, his Gundam stuff (especially the movie trilogy and Zeta series) are some of my favs.

I've been meaning to watch the Ideon movies for years, because I don't think I'll get around to watching the series. Just read how movie one is a condensed version of 1-32, and movie 2 has a revised episode 39 and then finishes it up.

Should I watch episodes 33-38 along with the movies? Are those good, are any of them filler-ish or skippable? Also a review mentioned the Ome Foundation are removed from movie 1 but their leader shows up in movie 2. I can dig some inconsistencies for the saved time, just wondering if they're involved in eps 33-38, and if those eps would make sense or be worthwhile to a movie viewer. Thanks!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

Question about Ideon! Not Gundam but hey it's Tomino, his Gundam stuff (especially the movie trilogy and Zeta series) are some of my favs.

I've been meaning to watch the Ideon movies for years, because I don't think I'll get around to watching the series. Just read how movie one is a condensed version of 1-32, and movie 2 has a revised episode 39 and then finishes it up.

Should I watch episodes 33-38 along with the movies? Are those good, are any of them filler-ish or skippable? Also a review mentioned the Ome Foundation are removed from movie 1 but their leader shows up in movie 2. I can dig some inconsistencies for the saved time, just wondering if they're involved in eps 33-38, and if those eps would make sense or be worthwhile to a movie viewer. Thanks!

Sadly, the movies just don't fit together well. A Contact is much tighter and more compelling than the episodes it covers, but changes and skips out on several very important details, meaning that it doesn't naturally fit with the last part of the show, while Be Invoked basically carries on from a third of the way through the final episode. A third movie to connect the two would have been great, but as is, you're stuck with the full series, which is rather dull and ends in the worst way possible (after an episodic adventure, there's a huge explosion and the narrator says 'and then the Ide got sick of everyone's poo poo and murdered the galaxy, the end'), and two much more entertaining companion pieces, only one of which is essential.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

If you remember offhand, in a non-specificly spoilery way (not naming who dies), are there dead people from movie 1 alive in eps 33-38, or vice versa, people who are alive in the movies who are dead in the show? Other than that I could probably handle them not fitting together, if those episodes help the story. When you say the series is dull are those episode in particular dull too you'd say?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

If you remember offhand, in a non-specificly spoilery way (not naming who dies), are there dead people from movie 1 alive in eps 33-38, or vice versa, people who are alive in the movies who are dead in the show? Other than that I could probably handle them not fitting together, if those episodes help the story. When you say the series is dull are those episode in particular dull too you'd say?

I think some important deaths happen differently, and characterisation is quite different for a couple of important characters - Gije, for instance, switches sides much earlier in A Contact, radically altering his relationship with the heroes - in the film, he's just some alien soldier who hitches a lift, while in the TV show, he's a persistent enemy who's been involved in some truly monstrous war crimes, and who several characters have fairly personal grudges against. The TV show is a bit dull all the way through, but does have some of its more striking imagery and more interesting character-work later on.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, thanks. I think I'll just try throwing in episode 33-38 for kicks then, since I had that idea on a whim and seems like the nutty thing to do.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I haven't been looking in on this thread, which is about the only place I get my tasty gundam information, since the end of Iron Blooded Orphans. Is there anything new cooking or did I miss an OVA? Or are we still arguing about Char.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ManSedan posted:

I haven't been looking in on this thread, which is about the only place I get my tasty gundam information, since the end of Iron Blooded Orphans. Is there anything new cooking or did I miss an OVA? Or are we still arguing about Char.

There's gonna be a second seson of IBO starting soon, and The Origin is still going on.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ManSedan posted:

You missed a mediocre BF Try OVA.

You may have also missed the Origin Episode 3 and the Thunderbolt compilation movie as well, both of which were pretty good.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So,since I was bored,I decided to do a thing-whenever I can,I post some of WackyModder84 (that one lovely Steam friend I mentioned a while back)'s questionable Gundam Opinions.

Here's the first set:
1.Elle is bad and lame. :mediocre:
2.Shakti (or whatshername from Victory) is a Mary Sue? Apparently. Never watched it,so I dunno
3.Domon apparently spammed the Finger all the time? (In response to my criticism of his precious Sekai just spamming powermoves instead of using actual skill)
4.Island Wars was good. :frogout:

I can't promise a consistent schedule because I am very lazy rarely chat with Wacky. But I DO make a solemn promise to give any juicy/questionable stuff to the thread.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Oct 2, 2016

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

So,since I was bored,I decided to do a thing-,whenever I can,I post some of WackyModder84 (that one lovely Steam friend I mentioned a while back)'s questionable Gundam Opinions.

Here's the first set:
2.Shakti (or whatshername from Victory) is a Mary Sue? Apparently. Never watched it,so I dunno
3.Domon apparently spammed the Finger all the time? (In response to my criticism of his precious Sekai just spamming powermoves instead of using actual skill)

I can't promise a consistent schedule because I am very lazy rarely chat with Wacky. But I DO make a solemn promise to give any juicy/questionable stuff to the thread.

Shakti's a pretty odd choice for a sue.

To be clear, she's awful because she's a total moron who keeps getting kidnapped because she can't get it through her stupid 11 year old head that her mom isn't actually in charge of the insane cult slicing people's heads off, and if she was, a simple "Stop please!" isn't going to change things. I'd give her a break for being eleven, but she's being protected by Uso Ewin, who at 13 is an ace mech pilot who can hold his mother's severed head and be combat ready again in, what, a week? Char's grandson or no, he sets expectations pretty high for pre-pubescent competence levels that Shakti does not live up to.

That said, I can sort of see the idea, since Shakti's a big dumb idiot who's got super strong newtype powers, is related to the leader of the baddies and the char, and she uses those amazing powers to save the day at the end. But again. Big dumb idiot who has to have everyone else bail her out all the time, and who doesn't accomplish much of anything before that one big save. I'd say she's more a standard byproduct of Victory being made by Tomino in a "gently caress it. Burning it all to the ground." than a sue.

Much better candidates in other Gundam serieses, even in the UC, I'd think.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Whoops, never mind.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

VolticSurge posted:

So,since I was bored,I decided to do a thing-whenever I can,I post some of WackyModder84 (that one lovely Steam friend I mentioned a while back)'s questionable Gundam Opinions.

Here's the first set:

Gonna be honest, this is a lame as heck thing to do.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

VolticSurge posted:

Here's the first set:

Haha yeah that guy's stupid. You must be pretty cool, to have a friend who's wrong about so many things and still be his friend even though he's a total loser. You wanna ride bikes?

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.
This does want to make me rewatch G, BF, and Try but just review them through my level of understanding of pro wrestling booking and ring psychology.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is IBO S2 getting on Crunchyroll? I moved out of the states and have no access to hulu.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
yeah but they didn't say when it'd be up so i imagine it's like season one and on a one week delay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

Is IBO S2 getting on Crunchyroll? I moved out of the states and have no access to hulu.

They are, but it might be a week behind since the new episode is up on Daisuki right now. They haven't said one way or the other yet though.

Now, time to watch the first episode of Season 2.