Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

I want Dorsett with Moncrief out. I would drop one of your TEs, Howard, or Crowder to get him. Maybe Duke, but I'm wondering if Duke will pick up value as a dump off valve for Kessler.

Good call, I'm going to go with Crowder since I'm worries about my RB depth and can't decide between my TEs just yet. Let's just hope no one else puts in a claim for him...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

So I've really gotten myself into a pickle with this team of mine, and I need the help of people more competent than me to work this out. This is my current team in a .5 PPR league:

QB: Alex Smith
RB: DeMarco Murray, Jeremy Langford, Justin Forsett, Darren Sproles
WR: Julio Jones, Brandin Cooks, T.Y. Hilton, DeVante Parker, Cole Beasley, Tyrell Williams
TE: Coby Fleener, Zach Ertz, Jacob Tamme
DEF: Miami Dolphins

The players to start are 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 RB/WR/TE, 1 K, 1 DEF.

I have a few questions regarding this team.

1) What the gently caress am I going to do with my RBs? I went hard on WR on the draft and ended up going WAY too hard, and now I'm looking at Jeremy Langford, RB2 and despairing, especially since the hottest RBs on the waiver wire are Jalen Richard, Corey Grant, Jamize Olawale and other inspiring names.
2) Who do I drop so that I can actually get a kicker? I dropped my kicker to get Tamme on the waivers, since both Fleener and Ertz are kind of a mess right now.
3) Should I be looking to trade hard right now? It feels like it to me.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Update from an earlier trade gutcheck.

Give Crowell and Diggs, get Hopkins. Mash accept?

My RBs: Gordon, Gore, Hill, Crowell, McKinnon, Washington
My WRs: AJG, Evans, Maclin, Diggs, M. Jones, DJax

Need to clear a bench spot for a defense this week, and Hopkins slots in as a starer for me, while Crowell and Diggs both ride the bench.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Cervixalot posted:

Update from an earlier trade gutcheck.

Give Crowell and Diggs, get Hopkins. Mash accept?

My RBs: Gordon, Gore, Hill, Crowell, McKinnon, Washington
My WRs: AJG, Evans, Maclin, Diggs, M. Jones, DJax

Need to clear a bench spot for a defense this week, and Hopkins slots in as a starer for me, while Crowell and Diggs both ride the bench.

Yes, mash accept. And then see if you can move Maclin or Jones for a RB.

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012
With this news about Gates, I looked at the TE waiver wire in my league and learned it was rather sparse, so I got curious. In my 12-team league, SEVEN teams have two TEs rostered and two teams have THREE TEs. Ugh.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

RVProfootballer posted:

Yeah, first is a silly mash. Second is interesting at least. I'm not sure that I like Dorsett a ton better long term than Booker. Hilton and Moncrief aren't going anywhere, and Booker has looked decent (right?). Wentz to Vereen is pretty meh, but getting anything you can out of Wentz is good given your roster. In the short term with Moncrief out, Dorsett should be great, and Dorsett to Booker is at worst an even swap for you, so I'd probably do it. But if Wentz is in high demand in your league, I'd rather shop him for a better return.

I had already mashed the first before posting.

I'm glad your line of thought is closer to mine on this. The more I think about it, the more I think that I won't trade Booker. Kubiak running back could be my bellcow by the end of the year. He doesn't like Booker anyway. He said the RB he was interested in more was Perkins, but is leery about him being a healthy scratch. I offered Wentz/Perkins for Dorsett and he said he'd sleep on it.

I am higher on Dorsett than you are. They spent a first round pick on him. I genuinely believe he could end up the best receiver on that team. Moncrief getting hurt is screwing me a bit, because it is inflating his value and the price is only going to go up.

Does Perkins /Wentz seem like a better return ?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

With this news about Gates, I looked at the TE waiver wire in my league and learned it was rather sparse, so I got curious. In my 12-team league, SEVEN teams have two TEs rostered and two teams have THREE TEs. Ugh.

Speaking of, if I've got Gates on one of my teams but the only FA options worth looking at (just going by PRK here) are Ebron, Walford, and James, should I bother worrying about it? I feel pretty secure with the rest of the roster.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

This is every league I've ever been in. Same with quarterbacks. Which is why I always draft backups, otherwise I'd end up stuck with cody kessler.

Inspector_666 posted:

Speaking of, if I've got Gates on one of my teams but the only FA options worth looking at (just going by PRK here) are Ebron, Walford, and James, should I bother worrying about it? I feel pretty secure with the rest of the roster.

gates has a pretty late bye right? I'd probably hold off and see if someone somewhere drops a TE after a bye that's a more reliable play.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Azhais posted:

gates has a pretty late bye right? I'd probably hold off and see if someone somewhere drops a TE after a bye that's a more reliable play.

Yeah, week 11.

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012

Azhais posted:

I do not understand how this advice applies to the question...

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Inspector_666 posted:

Why do you even have Gates when Ebron is the superior option. More targets, averages twice the amount if yards per catch. Hell, he's put up the same numbers as Gates thus far and hasn't scored a touchdown yet.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

I do not understand how this advice applies to the question...

Ah, is Gates hurt? I wasn't going anywhere near him in any league (for about the last 4 years) so I haven't kept up. Thought he was just asking if its worth getting a backup.

If he's out, I'd go Ebron in that list.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sataere posted:

Does Perkins /Wentz seem like a better return ?

Yeah, that's another easy accept. Perkins is not worth much, and even with me being down on Dorsett ever passing Hilton or Moncrief, he's certainly worth a good bit more than Perkins and Wentz.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sataere posted:

Why do you even have Gates when Ebron is the superior option. More targets, averages twice the amount if yards per catch. Hell, he's put up the same numbers as Gates thus far and hasn't scored a touchdown yet.

I dunno, he was ranked higher in the draft board list probably?

Azhais posted:

Ah, is Gates hurt? I wasn't going anywhere near him in any league (for about the last 4 years) so I haven't kept up. Thought he was just asking if its worth getting a backup.

If he's out, I'd go Ebron in that list.

Gates is "Questionable" with a hammy issue, missed practice yesterday and today.

I'll just pick up Ebron, thanks!

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
:stare: Yahoo actually released a value positive update for their iOS app

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
Guy in my league just had his win become a loss because of a stat correction for Fitz. Had a 4 yard catch changed to a 4 yard run. Lost the PPR point. Ouch.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
If Gronk plays today would you start him no matter the circumstances or would you bench him this week for a TE in a good matchup? (I have Pitta)

I know you don't sit your studs, but with him being hurt and having a 3rd string qb against the texans, it seem like a bad night ahead.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Inspector_666 posted:

I dunno, he was ranked higher in the draft board list probably?

Gates is "Questionable" with a hammy issue, missed practice yesterday and today.

I'll just pick up Ebron, thanks!

Draft boards are just projections. Once you have actual hard data, they are worthless.

The reason fantasy football is won on the waiver wires is because people still cling to the projections from a draft board. Once the draft is over, none of that means poo poo and everything spot on your roster should be valued solely on current production and distribution in an offense.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tyree posted:

If Gronk plays today would you start him no matter the circumstances or would you bench him this week for a TE in a good matchup? (I have Pitta)

I know you don't sit your studs, but with him being hurt and having a 3rd string qb against the texans, it seem like a bad night ahead.

I can see him disappointing, due to QB, opposing defense, and multiweek injury, but I don't think I could get away from him except for Olsen or Reed.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sataere posted:

Draft boards are just projections. Once you have actual hard data, they are worthless.

The reason fantasy football is won on the waiver wires is because people still cling to the projections from a draft board. Once the draft is over, none of that means poo poo and everything spot on your roster should be valued solely on current production and distribution in an offense.

Yeah, I just wasn't paying much attention to the TE spot after that first week (I was roundly beaten by the reigning champ) and then gates turned in a decent performance in week 2. I also went from one team to three, and the entire landscape for fantasy seems vastly different than last season in terms of rankings.

EDIT: Whoops just looked and apparently he was dropped yesterday for Tamme, so that's why!

This is why I have you guys!

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 22, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Mike McCoy is talking up Hunter Henry. "He can do it all".

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

MacheteZombie posted:

Mike McCoy is talking up Hunter Henry. "He can do it all".

im debating whether to pick him up to replace Gates or to go with Walford or just say gently caress it and pick up Jimmy Graham.

Any suggestions?

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Is Tavon Austin getting droppable at this point? His situation just seems so loving dire. I could pick up Phillip Dorsett in a standard league, and Austin seems like my preferred drop.

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012
Edit 2: yes, drop Austin for Dorsett.

^So, what you are saying, coach, is that Gates isn't playing this week...

Walford or Allen? There is no one else. I want to say Allen but Doyle appears to have assumed Fleener's spoiler role.

Edit: drat, so many tight end questions and the answer is always: "it's tight end, gently caress tight ends."

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TommyGun85 posted:

im debating whether to pick him up to replace Gates or to go with Walford or just say gently caress it and pick up Jimmy Graham.

Any suggestions?

I'd go Walford.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TommyGun85 posted:

Any suggestions?

There's your top two or three tight ends - gronk, olsen, maybe reed. Then there's maybe five to ten decent solid TE options where you look at production and situation and it's worth debating.

Then there's piles of crapshoots. You're looking at the pile of crapshoots tier. Any of walford, allen, hunter henry, graham, gary barnidge, vance mcdonald, jacob tamme, dennis pitta... who the gently caress knows? Any of those guys could get ten points or zero points or anything in between. :shrug:

Some folks might disagree but I feel at that point just pick whichever guy is in a game you want to watch and play him. One more guy you can root for during the game. :shrug:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Tyree posted:

I think I am going to call out this thread on their backing if DSYS now, because I do not think it is a blanket statement and requires a thorough evaluation of your roster and match ups before making that choice.

For this question, context matters. Gronk could be active and be a goose egg. So you have to ask yourself if your team can take the hit or if it is worth the risk. If your match ups at other positions are superior, then taking safe points might be the best option. If you think you need Gronk to Gronk in order to win, then you need to put him in.

I've given this a lot of thought since starting Luck last week over Carr or Stafford and even at the time, it was a bad decision. 12 man 1ppr, I had a decent positional edge at all but one of the flex positions. His quarterback, Wilson, had a bad match up also.

The likelihood of Luck having a bad game was definitely increased because of his matchup, but the odds of needing him to have a big game to save me was also less, because of the guys I played.

What happened was that my team underperformed, with only one guy performing in a worthwhile manner. His roster performed as I expected. But because I took the ceiling over the floor, it hurt me.

In my mind, there are nine possible outcomes.
1) Both our teams overachieve -- in this scenario, since the match ups favor me, I win.
2) Both our teams underachieve -- I still win, because my team had the better outcome for success going in
3) Both our teams perform as expected -- Still winning here.
4) He underachieved / I overachieve -- he's destroyed by my obvious greatness
5) He performs to average / I overachieve -- BOOM! Still the champ
6) He underachieved / I perform to average -- you get the point
7) He overachieves / I perform to average -- It depends on how much, but most of the time, this goes to him
8) He overachieves / I underachieve -- it goes to him
9) I underachieve / he performs to average -- it depends on how much, but most of the time, this goes to him

One through six, my QB choice shouldn't impact, because if the rest of my line up does its job, it doesn't matter. Eight works the same way, but for him. In situations 7 and 9, by raising my floor and lowering my ceiling on the questionable position, I can minimize the impact of a bad performance all around.

While Luck is consistent, we have a history of Denver absolutely destroying the production of quarterbacks. You can't just ignore that and say, yeah but this guy could be different, even though all evidence says the likelihood he will be is slim. Carr had a pretty safe range and a great match up.

All starting Luck did was decrease my chances of surviving a meh performance from my team with no real net benefit for if he did well.

NOW COME AT ME, THREAD!!!!

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012
Whoa, fella.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Too long; didn't sit my studs

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Zypher posted:

Too long; didn't sit my studs

Neither did I, but you can't really fault my logic.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Tyree posted:

If he starts, you play him. Billy doesn't put his marquis players out there just to get hurt.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Sataere posted:

I think I am going to call out this thread on their backing if DSYS now, because I do not think it is a blanket statement and requires a thorough evaluation of your roster and match ups before making that choice.

For this question, context matters. Gronk could be active and be a goose egg. So you have to ask yourself if your team can take the hit or if it is worth the risk. If your match ups at other positions are superior, then taking safe points might be the best option. If you think you need Gronk to Gronk in order to win, then you need to put him in.

I've given this a lot of thought since starting Luck last week over Carr or Stafford and even at the time, it was a bad decision. 12 man 1ppr, I had a decent positional edge at all but one of the flex positions. His quarterback, Wilson, had a bad match up also.

The likelihood of Luck having a bad game was definitely increased because of his matchup, but the odds of needing him to have a big game to save me was also less, because of the guys I played.

What happened was that my team underperformed, with only one guy performing in a worthwhile manner. His roster performed as I expected. But because I took the ceiling over the floor, it hurt me.

In my mind, there are nine possible outcomes.
1) Both our teams overachieve -- in this scenario, since the match ups favor me, I win.
2) Both our teams underachieve -- I still win, because my team had the better outcome for success going in
3) Both our teams perform as expected -- Still winning here.
4) He underachieved / I overachieve -- he's destroyed by my obvious greatness
5) He performs to average / I overachieve -- BOOM! Still the champ
6) He underachieved / I perform to average -- you get the point
7) He overachieves / I perform to average -- It depends on how much, but most of the time, this goes to him
8) He overachieves / I underachieve -- it goes to him
9) I underachieve / he performs to average -- it depends on how much, but most of the time, this goes to him

One through six, my QB choice shouldn't impact, because if the rest of my line up does its job, it doesn't matter. Eight works the same way, but for him. In situations 7 and 9, by raising my floor and lowering my ceiling on the questionable position, I can minimize the impact of a bad performance all around.

While Luck is consistent, we have a history of Denver absolutely destroying the production of quarterbacks. You can't just ignore that and say, yeah but this guy could be different, even though all evidence says the likelihood he will be is slim. Carr had a pretty safe range and a great match up.

All starting Luck did was decrease my chances of surviving a meh performance from my team with no real net benefit for if he did well.

I like that you've defined the probability space but you've failed to calculate the covariance. If you had, you'd see that the result is don't sit your studs.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sataere posted:

You had other good options that you should've played. Picking a QB1 with a good match up over a QB1 with a bad match up is not sitting your studs. The difference between Luck and Carr most weeks isn't going to be huge even if they both play to expectation (top 3 QB vs top 10 QB). I would've said stick with Luck if the alternative was someone like Tyrod Taylor, not when it was Carr in an easier match up at home. Similarly, I'd happily start someone like Rashad Jennings or Ryan Mathews in an easier, good game flow match up, over AP or Gurley or Zeke against Denver.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Suave Fedora posted:

If he starts, you play him. Billy doesn't put his marquis players out there just to get hurt.

Gronk's never broken his arm for an extra point.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Got my first interesting trade offer. Full PPR, 2RB 3WR 1FLEX, deep benches (Apex).

I give:

- Amari Cooper
- Vincent Jackson
- Dexter McCluster

I get:

- Rob Gronkowski
- Matt Asiata
- Cole Beasley

My roster
code:
QB ATL  Matt Ryan
QB OAK  Derek Carr

RB  NYJ  Matt Forte
RB  NO   Mark Ingram
RB  DET  Theo Riddick
RB  NYJ  Bilal Powell
RB  CAR  Cameron Artis-Payne
RB  SD   Dexter McCluster
RB  MIA  Kenyan Drake

WR  ATL  Julio Jones
WR  OAK  Amari Cooper
WR  ARI  Larry Fitzgerald
WR  NO   Willie Snead
WR  TB   Vincent Jackson
WR  SF   Torrey Smith

TE  IND  Dwayne Allen
I'm extremely happy with my team but I am leaving points on my bench. Getting Gronk is tempting. This trade would lead me to put Riddick from the bench into flex, so essentially I'd be benching Allen for Gronk, and trading Cooper to start Riddick in his place.The other 4 scrubs in this trade I'm indifferent about.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 22, 2016

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dren posted:

I like that you've defined the probability space but you've failed to calculate the covariance. If you had, you'd see that the result is don't sit your studs.

Why should I care about the covariance? The entire point is to minimize big swings.

EDIT: RVP, if Tyrod was the option, I wouldn't have been debating it :v:

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Ben Nevis posted:

Gronk's never broken his arm for an extra point.

Billy doesn't get any action from the missus when he doesn't cover the spread.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Got my first interesting trade offer. Full PPR, 2RB 3WR 1FLEX, deep benches (Apex).

I give:

- Amari Cooper
- Vincent Jackson
- Dexter McCluster

I get:

- Rob Gronkowski
- Matt Asiata
- Cole Beasley

My roster (bold = this week's starters)
code:
[b]QB ATL  Matt Ryan[/b]
QB OAK  Derek Carr

[b]RB  NYJ  Matt Forte
RB  NO   Mark Ingram[/b]
RB  DET  Theo Riddick
RB  NYJ  Bilal Powell
RB  CAR  Cameron Artis-Payne
RB  SD   Dexter McCluster
RB  MIA  Kenyan Drake
[b]
WR  ATL  Julio Jones
WR  OAK  Amari Cooper
WR  ARI  Larry Fitzgerald
WR  NO   Willie Snead[/b]
WR  TB   Vincent Jackson
WR  SF   Torrey Smith

TE  IND  Dwayne Allen
I'm extremely happy with my team but I am leaving points on my bench. Getting Gronk is tempting. This trade would lead me to put Riddick from the bench into flex, so essentially I'd be benching Allen for Gronk, and trading Cooper to start Riddick in my place.The other 4 scrubs in this trade I'm indifferent about.

MASH. You are trading Cooper and two garbage players for Gronk and two garbage players

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012
I'm commissioner of a money league for the first time and we never determined how to handle winnings/payouts. How do y'all do it, what do you like/dislike? We have 12 teams, six make the playoffs, two divisions, and I am not going to change that basic structure at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

I'm commissioner of a money league for the first time and we never determined how to handle winnings/payouts. How do y'all do it, what do you like/dislike? We have 12 teams, six make the playoffs, two divisions, and I am not going to change that basic structure at this point.

70/20/10 - Winner/Second/High Points

• Locked thread