Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

I was apparently loving wrong on the tax having any effect.
Do people just not want to pay the tax, purely financial, or has the fact that the government started to do things to target foreign speculators spooked the market?

The tax just moves where the buyers will go.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-real-estate-1.3750933

quote:

The Toronto Real Estate Board said its members had 9,813 sales in August, a 23.5 per cent increase from the same month last year, though there were two more working days this year.

[...]

Sales in Vancouver dropped 26 per cent in August compared to a year ago, following the introduction of the tax on Aug. 2.

So yeah. They won't pay the tax and as a result Toronto looks like a better market. That said, I am waiting until spring to pass complete judgement on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Do people just not want to pay the tax, purely financial, or has the fact that the government started to do things to target foreign speculators spooked the market?

Some of both I'd imagine. If I was trying to get my money out of China I'd be pretty wary that this is just the start of regulations getting tightened up.

As long as you can just go elsewhere, why take the unnecessary risk?

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I think it's less about the dollar amount of the tax itself and more about breaking the seal on potentially further taxes/penalties/investigation down the road. Vancouver just looks like a less safe target as soon as any motions are made. The tax is the canary-- even thought it's doubtful the government would ever actually do more than the absolute minimum to keep voters believing they're acting.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

But elsewhere isn't the best place on earth, what's the point of buying a condo or house in some 4th tier city when you could be buying in world class Vancouver? Other cities might just be bubbles because they don't have the intrinsic real value of Vancouver. You see Vancouver is limited by mountains and water, they aren't making more Vancouver.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

ephori posted:

I think it's less about the dollar amount of the tax itself and more about breaking the seal on potentially further taxes/penalties/investigation down the road. Vancouver just looks like a less safe target as soon as any motions are made. The tax is the canary-- even thought it's doubtful the government would ever actually do more than the absolute minimum to keep voters believing they're acting.

This is spot on. Exactly.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/locals-first-west-vancouver-1.3773516

this is pretty awesome considering west van (british properties) has had a long history of banning ~*the wrong sort of people*~ from their neighbourhood

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

namaste faggots posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/locals-first-west-vancouver-1.3773516

this is pretty awesome considering west van (british properties) has had a long history of banning ~*the wrong sort of people*~ from their neighbourhood

quote:

District of West Vancouver councillor Craig Cameron says even though the agreement is written and signed, there are no penalties for breaking the terms of the contract.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

namaste faggots posted:

I think I know why they have no intention of policing the policy.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

It's one month of numbers dude. Numbers that have aberration written all over them.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

namaste faggots posted:

I was so loving wrong about foreign buyers.

These numbers are just staggering. I figured the 5% number from the realtors was bullshit, but I didn't expect to see a number closer to 30% by the time we finally got data.

This also doesn't take into account the impact of foreign capital from the Quebec Investor Immigrant Program. The real impact is much greater than these foreign tax numbers.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I guess the highest numbers are pushed higher by everyone cramming to get deals done before the deadline but still

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
30% (which is probably the real number at least when you factor in the people who bought in the name of permanent resident kids/wives/etc) is so absolutely staggering. No wonder there's a bubble when a full quarter, and almost a full third of properties are being bought by people who don't live here.

gently caress it, ban buying from foreigners completely and force existing homes owned by non-PRs to sell.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Don't forget the number of people who are residents and are also buying because they hope they can eventually flip the house at a profit after holding on to it for a matter of months.

Without a bunch of crooked money changing hands this whole bubble may very well have never happened.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

EvilJoven posted:

Without a bunch of crooked money changing hands this whole bubble may very well have never happened.

Not picking on you in particular, but there is no way in hell money smurfed out of China has more influence than the Bank of Canada and the Fed (as well as the ECB to a lesser extent) putting the pedal to the metal for nearly a decade, even if 100% of that money were to make its way into Canadian real estate (and we know it hasn't). Of course it's people borrowing cheaply to buy as much as possible of one of the few remaining things that appear to yield meaningful returns.

tagesschau fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 22, 2016

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Femtosecond posted:

I guess the highest numbers are pushed higher by everyone cramming to get deals done before the deadline but still

With the suddenness of the tax announcement, it is unlikely that many people were able to push it forward. That the number is that high even in a period that should have had at least a partial decrease (recall the sob tales about poor Master degree students being unable to continue their $500K purchase), points to a number from March-May that even the most vocal foreigner blamers were probably underestimating.

Zalmun
Jan 17, 2008

It'sa me!

Nap Ghost
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thisisthat/...lding-1.3773054

quote:

Mississauga condo developer forgets to put 120 bathrooms in brand new building

Condo living is supposed to be simple. So you can imagine the shock of some Mississauga condo owners when they moved into their units and discovered that something simple was missing: None of the units in the 35 storey building had been equipped with a bathroom.

In his interview with This is That, developer Jordan Petrescu, admitted a mistake had been made but surprisingly was not willing to take the blame.

"There are no bathrooms in the units, but there were also no bathrooms on the plans or in our show suites," says Mr. Petrescu, "so technically, our customers bought these units knowing they were bathroomless."

Click listen to hear how residents are now forced to use a porta-potty in the parking garage as a bathroom.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Wat the f

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

hahaha

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is That is barely exaggerating, didn't some condo sold as 2br end up being built all as 1br units with the owners being told to get hosed

Zalmun
Jan 17, 2008

It'sa me!

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

This is That is barely exaggerating, didn't some condo sold as 2br end up being built all as 1br units with the owners being told to get hosed

It is so believable though. I could see something like that actually happening for reals.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I vaguely recall this too, with the developers justification being "Well at the time that made sense, but we stand to make so much more money this way!"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

No offence, but if you're so stupid you don't realize that the washroom is missing from the plans of your new condo, it's quite possible you deserve to get taken for a ride.

EDIT: Did no one ever go, "hmm, I wonder if this condo has a bathtub or a shower or both?.... wait a minute..."

PT6A fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 22, 2016

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

PT6A posted:

No offence, but if you're so stupid you don't realize that the washroom is missing from the plans of your new condo, it's quite possible you deserve to get taken for a ride.

it's very funny, but also completely unbelievable that no one involved with development saw this and commented on it. They simply didn't care enough to do anything about it because why should they? And that's indicative of some real lovely business practices and mentality on the development/sales/whatever side of it - completely aside from anyone who bought such a unit being a moron.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
"This is That is an award winning satirical current affairs show that doesn't just talk about the issues, it fabricates them."

reading is hard

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
lets get back to posting onion articles for gullible retards

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

oh hey a new av. bet it's PT6A or ikantski

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

JawKnee posted:

oh hey a new av. bet it's PT6A or ikantski

Why does everyone think it was me? I bought one av ever for Helsing because his red text was annoying, it was perfect and one of you idiots overwrote it 10 minutes later

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

tagesschau posted:

Not picking on you in particular, but there is no way in hell money smurfed out of China has more influence than the Bank of Canada and the Fed (as well as the ECB to a lesser extent) putting the pedal to the metal for nearly a decade, even if 100% of that money were to make its way into Canadian real estate (and we know it hasn't). Of course it's people borrowing cheaply to buy as much as possible of one of the few remaining things that appear to yield meaningful returns.

The central bank rates might have been holding the accelerator down but 30% of the market foreign speculation is like someone pointing a cylinder of nitrous oxide at the intake and breaking the valve off.

Gonna be fun to watch the Real Estate economic engine explosively disassemble.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

leftist heap posted:

They forgot to mention that Newfoundland is also the fattest province as well as the poorest and stupidest.

The history of it is interesting though. They destroyed their economy by sending all their working men off to fight for the British in WWII, then they were over-fished by the British and Canadians until the basis of their economy was devastated. But why people aren't leaving when given the option doesn't make sense to me.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/is-the-bc-property-levy-on-foreign-buyers-a-new-head-tax/article32013536/

quote:

Is the B.C. property levy on foreign buyers a new head tax?

Henry Yu is an associate professor, Department of History, University of British Columbia.

I was recently asked whether the 15-per-cent property tax imposed by the B.C. government on foreign buyers is a new head tax. My questioner was referring to the Chinese head tax in effect between 1885 and 1923, which only Chinese immigrants were forced to pay, and for which the federal government in 2006 apologized as racist legislation.

There are similarities between the two, but also differences. First, Chinese nationals, and in particular those from Mainland China, were the obvious target of the new B.C. tax. Although there was no use of the word Chinese in the legislation, introduction of the 15-per-cent tax followed several years of news stories decrying the alleged effect of buyers from Mainland China on affordability in the Vancouver housing market.

The use of the term foreign was telling. B.C. Finance Minister Michael de Jong stated that while investment from outside Canada is only one factor driving price increases, the tax would manage foreign demand. For those who are railing against Chinese buyers from overseas, the word foreign pointed the finger without naming them. There had been no public outcry about wealthy British migrants or American actors buying vacation homes. Surely the law was not in response to them?

There is no doubt that overt anti-Chinese legislation is no longer permissible in Canada. People of Chinese descent are now able to become Canadian citizens, enjoying rights such as voting and being licensed as doctors, lawyers, engineers and accountants things they were denied before 1947. They were unwanted as immigrants, legally excluded from 1923 until 1947 and not until 1967 were racial preferences removed from immigration law and barriers against non-whites removed.

For the first century of Canadas history, those with Chinese ancestry even if they were born in Canada were considered permanently foreign and legally treated differently. Are there any echoes of the conflation between Chinese and foreign today?

Less than 30 years ago, after Expo 86, media stories decried Vancouver becoming Hongcouver because Chinese migrants from Hong Kong were supposedly driving up housing prices. Chinese were considered a problem and a threat, but the anti-Chinese fervour did not last. We might ask why. Was it because Hong Kong Chinese became Canadian citizens and proved they belonged through their hard work and giving back to Canadian society through their philanthropy? Was it because studies found that the effect of Hong Kong Chinese buyers was only a minor factor in rising housing prices? Considering the long history of anti-Chinese racism in British Columbia, what is surprising from a historical point of view is not that there was that Hongcouver moment, but that it abated so quickly.

The B.C. government apologized in 2014 for its role in historical anti-Chinese legislation. The province had split the $23-million (equivalent today to more than $1.5-billion) of proceeds from the Chinese head tax with the federal government. That money helped to pay for infrastructure bridges, roads and public buildings in a period before the creation of income tax. One of the proposed uses for revenue from the new 15-per-cent foreign-buyers tax is the building of affordable housing. There has been little complaint about funding an urgent need such as publicly subsidized affordable housing this way. Should there be?

The word foreign is an interesting word. It means different things to different people. In your minds eye, whom do you see when you think of the term? What colour is their hair? What language are they speaking? Years ago, there was an advertising campaign from one of our major national breweries featuring a series of people stating I am Canadian. The images, one after another, featured no visible minorities. Have we left behind the conflation of foreign with being non-white?

CAN I WRITE AN ENTIRE COLUMN IN QUESTIONS? AM I BEING OPEN MINDED ENOUGH? AM I REALLY WORTH 170K/YEAR?

http://salaries.ubyssey.ca/salaries/employee/henry-yu

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Seriously a loving grown rear end man making 170k/year just wrote in a national newpaper entirely in loving questions

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

namaste faggots posted:

Seriously a loving grown rear end man making 170k/year just wrote in a national newpaper entirely in loving questions

I expect this will not be the last time I realize I am not paid enough.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

namaste faggots posted:

He's a principal, clearly it's pedagogical :rolleye:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It's not a head tax because those people can just rent until they become permanent residents or citizens, which is what most permanent residents or citizens should be doing anyway, because owning is expensive and risky.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elRxbGJuCw8

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Ccs posted:

It's not a head tax because those people can just rent until they become permanent residents or citizens, which is what most permanent residents or citizens should be doing anyway, because owning is expensive and risky.

drat i think maybe they should pay you 170k/year to teach history at ubc

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

namaste faggots posted:

drat i think maybe they should pay you 170k/year to teach history at ubc

There was probably a first draft that was more definitive then the lawyers had a look at it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It's also not a head tax because it doesn't charge people to come to Canada, and it applies to literally everyone who's not Canadian.

What a loving stupid article.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

namaste faggots posted:

Ok serious mode: You guys know what this means right? If you think boomers retiring in the near future are in deep poo poo, we're all in even deeper poo poo because our incomes are lower and we didn't have the economic growth of the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's to coast off of. Pension funds and personal equities did quite well and if you could afford a house, you did really well, as a boomer.
Speak for yourself, you poor/non-self-starter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Baronjutter posted:

I think it's like the Port Mann bridge toll. It's objectively better for most people but most apparently would rather spend the equivalent in gas and time due to the "principle" of it all.

I mean these are the same guys who make it impossible to buy anything in Richmond without cash because absolutely no one is declaring things honestly.